More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 08:17:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Merging mods to increase Performance!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Merging mods to increase Performance!  (Read 367315 times)
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Merging mods to increase Performance! (Manually creating .dbc archives)
« Reply #50 on: 2010 January 05, 17:54:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can someone post an example of a resource file that allows .dbc file in-game? I'm not that skilled in working with resource files, but am a fast leaner; So a tutorial is welcomed Smiley

~ Condemnation without investigation is the peak of ignorance ~
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010 January 05, 21:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can someone post an example of a resource file that allows .dbc file in-game? I'm not that skilled in working with resource files, but am a fast leaner; So a tutorial is welcomed Smiley

You have absolutely no skills whatsoever from what I can see.  Use "search" you lazy fucking retard.
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010 January 05, 22:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have absolutely no skills whatsoever from what I can see.  Use "search" you lazy fucking retard.

You can cool it. I don't get how you can call me a "lazy fucking retard" when you don't even know me? You don't see me name calling. Anyway I didn't have the time at that moment to search for an answer and was just seeing if anyone was decent enough to help me out. Not everyone is an expert in everything. You can't build a rocket, you can't make a computer (from scratch) and god knows, you might not even know how to read a watch! Just shut up for once. But then again, you might be another one of those "All Knowing MATY Gods" (or at least you most definitely think you are).

snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010 January 05, 22:42:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the time it took you to post your stupidity, you could have found your answer, lazy fucking retard.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010 January 06, 02:44:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then again, you might be another one of those "All Knowing MATY Gods" (or at least you most definitely think you are).

Snowbawl is positively divine compared to you.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010 January 06, 02:47:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fact that you even NEED a tutorial for such a thing clearly indicates you are mentally deficient. Have you even LOOKED at it?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010 January 06, 05:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tried it and it works lovely.
Are there any advantages to 'reject' rather than 'replace'?
And the 'compress' option: have you lot been using that?
Nice one.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: 2010 January 06, 06:06:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tried it and it works lovely.
Are there any advantages to 'reject' rather than 'replace'?
And the 'compress' option: have you lot been using that?
Nice one.

Make sure you get the experimental version from the first post in this thread.

The reject and replace options only show on import from .package. There is no such option on "Import as .dbc", as the default option seems to be "replace". However, I found that some mods (so far only exported sims3packs) will break if imported as .dbc (game cant read them) and I need to switch over to import as .package instead, but the only problem with using import as .package is that it will not generate the merged _key (0x0166038C) which I assume is important when merging large amounts of certain mod types that rely on these manifests.

I still have no idea what causes it, and unsure if anyone else has this issue, but the majority of sims3packs i extract to .package files aren't able to be read by the game until I import them to another package, even if it worked fine as a sims3pack.To test to see if the mod is broken, I usually try to open the freshly merged .packages in the blue lot fixer, as usually if the merged .package it wont open in that, the game can't open it either (very slow loading and process monitor goes berserk), which is when I need to resort to importing as .package rather than importing as .dbc.

Keep in mind that I'm still bluffing my way through this, testing various options to see what works and what doesn't, but I have limited knowledge of why things do what they do.

*edit* A little experimenting with my above stated issue. I decided to extract the files on a Win2k3 32bit PC and the game read those extract files fine without any further modification, but tried multiple times to do the same thing on my main PC (Win7 x64) and the game would not read the packages until I merged them into a new .package. Now to re-extract and re-merge them into the main package to see if there is any difference performance wise (in proc mon.)

*edit 2* While the newly extracted files worked fine, there was still one set (cellar set) which wouldnt import correctly using the import as .dbc function, but worked fine with import from .package with either replace or reject. Once they were initially imported into a test package, i was then able to import them to my main package using import as .dbc. So I dont know what the odd thing was about that particular object set.  Currently all is working fine.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 06, 09:46:06 by Anach » Logged

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010 January 06, 08:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fact that you even NEED a tutorial for such a thing clearly indicates you are mentally deficient. Have you even LOOKED at it?

Thank you Witch for your very informative thread!! (Sorry about not searching)

I tried this out in-game, everything seems to be working perfectly fine. However, as far as performance goes, I don't see any improvement; It actually seems as though the game is slower Tongue. I'll have to look into that.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 06, 16:19:40 by AloeOwl » Logged

cefwyn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010 January 06, 16:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One more thing: When I was importing my "sims" CC (which includes everything from clothes, hair, default replacements...) I got an error saying that "some resource names may not be displayed". Has anyone had this problem occur?

Yeah, I've had this issue with a few of HystericalParoxysm's hairs, but those are the only thing I've had a problem with so I just leave them as .package since there are only a few of them and I would rather not mess them. From what I can tell from the error message though, it's due to the fact that the packages are probably just slightly altered from each other and contain identical _KEY files. It may be safe to merge them anyways, but the difference in performance for the few files with that issue would be immeasurable.

EDIT: Since the experimental import to .dbc attempts to merge the _XML files (And fails every time I've tried it saying "manual merge of xml files required"), does that mean those files have been decided to be more then just necessary for the launcher?
« Last Edit: 2010 January 06, 16:34:31 by cefwyn » Logged
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: 2010 January 06, 17:01:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One more thing: When I was importing my "sims" CC (which includes everything from clothes, hair, default replacements...) I got an error saying that "some resource names may not be displayed". Has anyone had this problem occur?

Yeah, I've had this issue with a few of HystericalParoxysm's hairs, but those are the only thing I've had a problem with so I just leave them as .package since there are only a few of them and I would rather not mess them. From what I can tell from the error message though, it's due to the fact that the packages are probably just slightly altered from each other and contain identical _KEY files. It may be safe to merge them anyways, but the difference in performance for the few files with that issue would be immeasurable.

EDIT: Since the experimental import to .dbc attempts to merge the _XML files (And fails every time I've tried it saying "manual merge of xml files required"), does that mean those files have been decided to be more then just necessary for the launcher?

Check back through the thread or the instructions on the first post where I mention _xml. If you have other types of conflicting _xml, then it's likely you have an actual conflict. Yes the .dbc import will merge the manifest _key files for you.

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010 January 06, 18:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I quote from your original post:

With this newly merged mod set I have experienced faster loading, shorter save times, faster access of CAS/Build/Buy, and less reloading of textures when changing households or zooming back from map view. The framerate is more stable and i'm averaging a 2x higher framerate for longer game sessions than I was previously.

The exact *opposite* is happening to me! Even the point on how fast the textures load when changing households. I'm not sure what went wrong. I have mine in package format, do you think that's the issue here? I mean, supposedly there is no difference between packages and DBCs.

Also one question. When in s3pe, I was using the tags at the top to order the files so that I could easily locate the _xmls. Does this affect the *actual* order of the files inside the final package? If so, I think I just found the reason my game is lagging. If it does affect the final package then my game is too busy sorting the files out into their original order and thus slowing and screwing up my performance. Any ideas if this is true or not?

tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010 January 06, 18:53:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, thanks Anach.
All my stuff was in .package anyway, the only thing in my .dbc is a Riverview with text string errors everywhere, so I didn't bother with that.
But as you said, loading, framerate, menus, they are probably about 25% better now. I thought the game was incapable of this, but its breezing it.
The merged package sizes are larger than I thought they would be, but the trade off is undoubtably worth it.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 2010 January 06, 19:10:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also one question. When in s3pe, I was using the tags at the top to order the files so that I could easily locate the _xmls. Does this affect the *actual* order of the files inside the final package? If so, I think I just found the reason my game is lagging. If it does affect the final package then my game is too busy sorting the files out into their original order and thus slowing and screwing up my performance. Any ideas if this is true or not?

No, the Chunk Offset shows you what order they are in physically.  Clicking the column headers only affects your view.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010 January 06, 19:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the Chunk Offset shows you what order they are in physically.  Clicking the column headers only affects your view.

I thought I had stumbled upon the solution to my problem. Thanks anyway. Has anyone else had a decrease in performance?

Vampster
Asinine Airhead

My Bite Is Your Delight

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010 January 07, 00:19:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the tutorial.
My game has since sped up since using this method.

Thank you.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2010 January 07, 01:48:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the Chunk Offset shows you what order they are in physically.  Clicking the column headers only affects your view.

I thought I had stumbled upon the solution to my problem. Thanks anyway. Has anyone else had a decrease in performance?

Something you could try is importing your packages using the standard import from .package function rather than the create dbc, try either replace or reject duplicates, group only similar mods together, and experiment a little to see if you get better results. You can't really hurt anything unless you save your game with half your content misisng or if you delete your original packages.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 07, 03:20:49 by Anach » Logged

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2010 January 07, 14:03:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the Chunk Offset shows you what order they are in physically.  Clicking the column headers only affects your view.

Something you could try is importing your packages using the standard import from .package function rather than the create dbc, try either replace or reject duplicates, group only similar mods together, and experiment a little to see if you get better results. You can't really hurt anything unless you save your game with half your content misisng or if you delete your original packages.

That's actually what I did. There didn't seem to be a resource > .dbc option, despite the fact that I got the version you provided (This confused me a lot). So I formed a package, edited the _xml files, that aren't needed, out (0x0000...) and they worked.

I must point out, this is with *replacing* duplicates. When I clicked *reject* duplicates, all it gave me was a single file (in s3pe) with zeroes in it.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to happen, but I followed the tutorial and all the posts here step by step. I would try making a .dbc but can't seem to find the option for it. I also used the link to s3pe you gave AND the one I found at MTS. They seemed to  be the same version. Huh

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm following this step by step but all I'm getting is a *decrease* in performance.

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 2010 January 07, 14:29:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A further note to everyone else experimenting with this. I haven't had much success in extracting .sims3packs into .package then importing them to the merged archive. While the process itself works ok, I experience quite nasty slowdowns, which put me back to where I was at before I merged everything, at about 50% loss of FPS. I don't know whether it's the conversion from sims3pack to package, or if the objects themselves are buggy (and somehow in sims3pack format aren't buggy), but no matter the item (tried about 50 different items), the outcome is always the same. If I remove those converted .package files and reinstall them as sims3pack with the launcher, I regain my FPS. I've tried multiple extraction methods and used two different computers with two different programs (s3pack and delphy's extractor), and I've tried every variation of merging these items.

I'd be interested to hear of any experiences of other people who have converted sims3pack to package and merged them into a single .package (dbc) archive. I know it must be possible, as a lot of these .packages originate from sims3pack, so it might simply be down to the sets i'm using, however I'm curious as to why when those same packs are installed with the launcher the FPS increases.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 07, 15:24:39 by Anach » Logged

Clara
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2010 January 07, 15:51:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had no problems with merging extracted sims3packs (via Delphy's installer and then importing as DBC in s3pe). I've meticulously tracked my loading times and in-game fps while testing out launcher vs. merged packages and there has been no discernible difference. Some of my sims3packs are store content and some are custom and they've both worked fine merged. It actually works out great as a lot of sims3packs when extracted to packages couldn't be modified without breaking them but now they can be fiddled with in a merged package.
gelfling
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2010 January 07, 16:06:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm following this step by step but all I'm getting is a *decrease* in performance.
If you have followed the instructions to the letter then it is safe to say that one or more of the mods you are hoping to merge is dodgy. Eliminate the dodgy mods and you will find a marked increase in both the time it takes to load your game and with game performance.

The best version of s3pe to use is the one linked from here because that is the one that offers you the option to import 'as *.dbc' from the Resource drop-down menu.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 07, 16:20:44 by gelfling » Logged
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: 2010 January 07, 16:18:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had no problems with merging extracted sims3packs (via Delphy's installer and then importing as DBC in s3pe). I've meticulously tracked my loading times and in-game fps while testing out launcher vs. merged packages and there has been no discernible difference. Some of my sims3packs are store content and some are custom and they've both worked fine merged. It actually works out great as a lot of sims3packs when extracted to packages couldn't be modified without breaking them but now they can be fiddled with in a merged package.

In that case I'll keep plodding away to see if I can track my issue precisely, which is difficult when nothing in this game is exactly precise.

Clara
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2010 January 07, 17:10:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In that case I'll keep plodding away to see if I can track my issue precisely, which is difficult when nothing in this game is exactly precise.

Have you tried using only store content as a test? They're probably the sims3packs with the fewest problems overall and might help narrow it down.

If you haven't already I'd also try compressorizing the sims3packs first before extracting. I used to have my store stuff extracted to packages before the patch that made having hundreds of package files unwieldy and I noticed that if I didn't compress the sims3packs first then the resulting package would cause horrific lag and thousands of entries in Process Monitor.
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2010 January 07, 17:21:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have followed the instructions to the letter then it is safe to say that one or more of the mods you are hoping to merge is dodgy. Eliminate the dodgy mods and you will find a marked increase in both the time it takes to load your game and with game performance.

The best version of s3pe to use is the one linked from here because that is the one that offers you the option to import 'as *.dbc' from the Resource drop-down menu.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as "mods". I'm not actually merging game mods (like AM or longer pregnancy mods for example); Just build and buys mode objects, hair (2 files actually) and clothes. I did try to merge them with both versions. The one I got from here did *not* have import as .dbc! I'm not sure why, but it just didn't. Undecided I know where it's located (resource > import as .dbc, but all I have is "import from package" or "from file".

Actually Anach what you're experiencing is what I've been going through. I merged them into package files. You're doing the same but originally with .sim3packs. Maybe you were right from the beginning. Maybe .dbc is better than .package?

EDIT 1: Clara, I'll have to try that out. I didn't compress them and my game is lagging. I'll try it later though, I can't right now.

EDIT 2: It turns out I did have the wrong version. At sourceforge.net I clicked on "view all files" which brought up a link to the newest version ("13") of s3pe not the "03" version. I should have clicked on the "03" version in the box below. I'll try making a .dbc later and see if it improves my performance.

I still think making them into packages will lag the game.

EDIT 3: I just made my DBCs and will try them later (Despite the fact that I got a million errors when merging my "sims" CC).
« Last Edit: 2010 January 07, 17:48:55 by AloeOwl » Logged

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2010 January 07, 18:25:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried using only store content as a test? They're probably the sims3packs with the fewest problems overall and might help narrow it down.

If you haven't already I'd also try compressorizing the sims3packs first before extracting. I used to have my store stuff extracted to packages before the patch that made having hundreds of package files unwieldy and I noticed that if I didn't compress the sims3packs first then the resulting package would cause horrific lag and thousands of entries in Process Monitor.

I must admit that I haven't tried compressorizing them before extracting. I shall give that a try next time I extract some sims3packs.

I've finally narrowed down my issue to my original set of objects I used for the first merge. It was solely down to the cellar set from ATS3, which is what I used for the first experimental merge. I had thought I'd sorted out the issues I had with that and marked it safe, but obviously I hadn't. I removed all my CC from the launcher and merged it back into my custom dbc package one by one until I was left with that set. As soon as I did anything with that set it dropped from 50fps (big house with lots of sims) to 25fps. However, when installed via the launcher, the fps were back at 50. So what I did next was to create a fresh .dbc using the launcher to only install the cellar set, so I was left with a merged cellar set dbc that I could rename to package. I installed this to the mods directory and all was fine. Now I also tried merging the freshly created dcbackup folder package files to a fresh dbc with s3pe, as I thought something might be happening to the set during my manual extraction. However, i was left with the same broken set when trying to merge those.

I now have finally merged the cellar set back into my main custom package file (dbc) with s3pe and all is working fine. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with the cellar set, but the launcher seems to fix it when merging where as s3pe doesnt. Which makes me wonder if I could possibly gain anything from doing this with my other sims3pack to package conversions, but for now I'm just going to go play the game for a while, i've spent days playing with merging, in and out of the game. Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: