More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 20:43:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Merging mods to increase Performance!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Merging mods to increase Performance!  (Read 368061 times)
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Re: Merging mods to increase Performance!
« Reply #250 on: 2010 May 28, 00:09:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried doing this, but everytime I try, no matter how few .package files I try to merge, it always gives me an error about being out of memory. I've made sure nothing else is running in the background when I try to do this, but s3pe keeps giving that error. I have 3 GB of RAM, so I doubt that's really what's wrong.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2010 May 28, 00:32:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get this issue too and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with 4 gigs installed. I'm convinced that this is a limitation of the .net framework being 32-bit and only being able to address a maximum of 2GB as working RAM. If you're importing a load of packages, especially those that had been compressed in the first place, it's very easy to go over this limit and have s3pe crash as a result. Don't forget, s3pe has to have all those separate packages preloaded into RAM and still have space to spare for the merged file before dumping it to your hard drive.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2010 May 28, 04:58:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So was it bad to compress the packages before trying to merge them, then? I compressed all my files a few weeks ago when my hard drive was getting too full. Well, I guess I'll just go back to deleting most of my cc, keeping it only to a few things I use all the time. But I've gotten my cc down to less than 1GB and it still makes the game run horribly slow and freezes for several seconds at a time. I've already tried running the Dashboard tool and I also ran Process Monitor, so it has to just be the amount of .package files I have because it ran well until a little bit after I installed HELS.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: 2010 May 28, 06:39:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Easy to fix and should be common sense. Don't try merging so many packages at once. You can merge a few, then import more once you save the merged package. Compressing them beforehand will not matter.

If your packages are taking too long to save and you are running out of memory during save, then limit the packages in size. For instance, if you are making 200Mb packages and running out of memory while saving, then try 100Mb packages.

JamesNine
Blathering Buffoon

Llama

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2010 May 31, 02:23:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This works great. I had some trouble getting the hairs package to save and ended up having to make about six files for them (in smaller sizes). It took longer then usual and I kept getting errors and lacking memory. However, all the other files worked like a giffy, it just took some time. I do believe that it has sped up the game significantly.

Also, if the program freezes while your saving you can tell if its working or not by looking at your custom package and watching it's filesize increase. That restores confidence.

Anyways, this is a great fix and wasn't as difficult as I'd through. I wish I'd done it sooner!

More Awesome Sig
mofarmer
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Help with merging and changing sims3pack files into package files
« Reply #255 on: 2010 May 31, 14:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I apologize but I have searched the internet for several days and have read off an on today through any posts here that looked like they applied.  After spending countless hours searching I am confused as to how to do this.  Here is what I would like to do:

1.  My end goal is to be able to use S3PE to merge my package files to make things run faster (hopefully)

2.  I have 150 downloads in sims 3 packs and 120 in package files
     a. I have downloaded all of the sims 3 pack files from the ea store thread and on page one of that same thread)
3.  I want to know if I am correct in how I am about to proceed.

a. I have recompressorized and decrapified the store content I downloaded from here (can I do the same with the stuff I have downloaded legit stuff and have already installed?)
     b. I intend to now run it through a program to extract it and make it into package files
            (i noticed when testing this program it has a bunch of crap that is not named just has numbers and then I could see all of the actual names of the items for example abtract circles pattern)Do I need the crap with no name or can I just keep the stuff that has the name of the item?

c. Next would be to open S3pe and follow the instructions to combine all cc in certain categories to hopefully end up with no more than 10 files which will which would also include the package files I have in my Mods/packages files.  Please let me know if I am missing a step or i am going to be doing this all wrong. 

Also, if all above is correct then would I be able to delete the stuff in my ea/sims3/downloads and also in the dcbf or whatever that file is so I can free up space on my computer.  Thanks to anyone that will help me.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: Help with merging and changing sims3pack files into package files
« Reply #256 on: 2010 May 31, 15:34:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Roll Eyes

Surely you can't be genuine.  The thread you want is about 6th in the list of threads with new posts - permanently!  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17746.0.html

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
mofarmer
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2010 May 31, 16:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the reply.  I did read the thread you talk about.  I read every bit of it a couple of times.  I just wanted to be sure that i was understanding the process.  I did not see anywhere in the process that I could end up getting rid of the sims3pack downloads which are the ones I downloaded from the exchange.  I hate the launcher.  I would like to use the method on this site going forward and even for stuff I download with my points.

I extracted the sims3pack files into a file on my desk top and have a boatload of files with names like this 0x0aa50ebe66e9458ab86737b7d60c6f4d (can I delete these) and then I have a bunch that have normal cc names like this afBodyClassDressCocktail.  Am I to assume that I will just want to divide up the latter items with actual file names as I see fit and then have s3pe merge those and ignoring the ones with 0x**blah, blah, blah?

Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2010 May 31, 16:36:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, assbutt, you do not want to do that. Some sims3packs contain More Than One package/item (store sets, for example). That's when you get strrings like that: it's the original package names of the stuff that make up the set. If ther's only one package in the sims3pack, said packaged gets auto-renamed to the original sims3pack name. If more than one package is found within a single sims3pack,  obviously they can't all be renamed "Jet Set Teens". They are still valid CC-containing packages.

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: 2010 May 31, 16:37:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only files you need from the sims3pack are the .package files. Take those, then follow the instructions in the above thread.
« Last Edit: 2010 May 31, 23:40:18 by Anach » Logged

jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2010 May 31, 22:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, I have fallen in love with the term "assbutt" and cannot wait to drop it into a conversation.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
BriarRosethorn
Asinine Airhead

Don't you type at me in that tone of voice!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2010 June 01, 15:01:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I, too, keep getting an error message about being out of memory. I will cut down the number of files I attempt to import and merge and see if that makes a difference.

KING LOUIS: I'm the King of France!
THE DOCTOR: Yeah? Well, I'm the Lord of Time.
The Doctor. More awesome than the King of France.
Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2010 June 03, 16:14:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, I have fallen in love with the term "assbutt" and cannot wait to drop it into a conversation.

Word borrowed from Supernatural. Motto: When angels swear, lulz ensue.

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
Tempo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Why Thank You
« Reply #263 on: 2010 June 09, 17:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game is still a little slow to load, but I think that's due to the slider mods I have in place, but otherwise this system works great. I have tons of CC it took a while to compress it all, and S3PE hung during load-in and save, but it worked. Thanks for the tip I was about to give up on the game because 10 mins for loading was killing me.
JMyers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2010 June 10, 03:03:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is probably in here someplace, I have had to reinstall all my games due to the last windows update.  Now I am back at the beginning trying to remember how to reinstall all my custom content, I have the frame network installed even for the latest expansion.  I have saved all my content into packages.  Can someone explain the process to me once again on how to put my content into the game.  I have gotten most of the packages from here and they are in package format, with the exception of what I had previous on my hard drive from the EA Store.  I just can not remember as how to install the packages into the mod files that had been created using the frame netword.
Tever
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2010 June 10, 03:53:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is probably in here someplace, I have had to reinstall all my games due to the last windows update.  Now I am back at the beginning trying to remember how to reinstall all my custom content, I have the frame network installed even for the latest expansion.  I have saved all my content into packages.  Can someone explain the process to me once again on how to put my content into the game.  I have gotten most of the packages from here and they are in package format, with the exception of what I had previous on my hard drive from the EA Store.  I just can not remember as how to install the packages into the mod files that had been created using the frame netword.

EA has changed their method. Try looking at some of the topics on the first page and see if you can guess which one will answer your question. Protip: it's remarkably obvious.
Mekare
Asinine Airhead

I loveded piggy.

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2010 June 10, 06:20:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anach, you genius. I love you to bits.

At first I had alot of memory errors, but it was just a simple solution of merging no more than 200mb worth of packages at a time (approx 130-150 packages).  
I now have turned 1k+ extracted store items and about 200 of my own custom things into a simple 14 files (decrapified and recompressed before extracting with Delphy's tool).
I've gone from 7-10 minute loading screens and choppy ingame performance, to less than 1 minute loading and instant ingame scrolling.

This really does work wonders! <3 <3

ps. for those wondering, I only merged CAS and Build/Buy items.. not scripts or default replacements. I have about a total of 30 package files now, and the game runs flawlessly.

ETA: Also amazing how 200mb worth of small packages can turn into an average of 120-130mb in the merged files. Talk about EA bloating..

☑ Saddam Hussein
☑ Osama Bin Laden
☐ Justin Bieber
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: 2010 June 10, 07:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anach, you genius. I love you to bits.

Thank you. However, my Wife wanted me to let you know that I'm a married man, and cannot be having any internet lovers. Tongue

ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2010 June 10, 08:32:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally got it to load without crashing, but I can't figure out how to sort the files to find those 0x73E93EEB files. I could go through and find them manually, but besides taking a lot of time, it I'm afraid I'll miss a few.
Clara
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2010 June 10, 13:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally got it to load without crashing, but I can't figure out how to sort the files to find those 0x73E93EEB files. I could go through and find them manually, but besides taking a lot of time, it I'm afraid I'll miss a few.

In s3pe, make sure Display: Tags is checked at the bottom of the screen. Click on the Type header at the top, then the Tag header. This will sort the files alphabetically by Tag (such as _XML) and subsort by Type (such as 0x73E93EEB). Now they're all in the same place and easy to find and delete.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2010 June 11, 10:48:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In s3pe, make sure Display: Tags is checked at the bottom of the screen. Click on the Type header at the top, then the Tag header. This will sort the files alphabetically by Tag (such as _XML) and subsort by Type (such as 0x73E93EEB). Now they're all in the same place and easy to find and delete.

Thanks, I got it.

I merged most of my files (everything except game mods, sliders and default replacement skintones) and I got my objects down to just a few .package files and it definitely helped my load times. My game took over an hour to load before doing this, and this time it took a total of 10 minutes to get to the neighborhood. Unfortunately, my game is still running super slow. It hangs frequently and it takes a long time to load any textures. I guess I'll have to keep trying things.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: 2010 June 11, 13:52:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you taken your packages through Delphy's Dashboard?  A problem related to bluelotting can cause this slowness.  Bluelotting is just one symptom of it.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2010 June 11, 14:34:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I ran everything through the Dashboard before and after merging and everything showed as being fine. I do have about 30 or so hair .package files that I can't get to merge, though. I tried splitting them into 2 groups and trying to merge them and each group gave me an error. After it says "manual merge of XML files required", I'd get a second pop-up that says there was an unhandled exception. It says "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" at the bottom. Then this box pops up after I close:

« Last Edit: 2010 June 11, 15:43:59 by ShortyBoo » Logged
AloeVista
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2010 June 11, 21:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey can someone help me with the SP3 installation? -_- well I don't need help installing it, its just that I don't know what version to install because I have Windows Vista. Not XP and I only see search results FOR Windows XP
x.x
Barbara Walters
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2010 June 12, 01:44:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a method, if any, for splitting a merged package into 2 smaller ones?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: