More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 19:16:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  AwesomeMod Configuration File Not Working
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: AwesomeMod Configuration File Not Working  (Read 16973 times)
ambivalentme
Asinine Airhead

Your Stupidity Is Blinding Me, Please Turn It Off!

View Profile
AwesomeMod Configuration File Not Working
« on: 2009 December 19, 05:54:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have searched through all of the AwesomeMod posts and then expanded my search to all of the Sims 3 forums on MATY and, although my issue was mentioned before WA was released, it has not been, as far as I can tell, mentioned since.

Here are all the steps I have taken since I purchased WA.

After reading the posts regarding WA and the subsequent patches, I decided to go for a clean install of the game and update through the launcher to 2.2.8. After that, I installed the framework listed in the Armoire of Invincibility and installed only AwesomeMod; no other mods, patterns, clothing, hair, etc. The only files in my Packages folder were awesome.package and aweconf.package. The game ran perfectly using the Awesome Story Driver, no fatal errors, no crashing. I was having a lot of fun going through all the new features of the game and then I realized that the options I chose in the config tool were not working (Hand of God, etc). I pulled up "showconfig" and found that everything was at the default settings. So I closed the game, went to the config tool, ‘reloaded page & cleared changes', and reselected all my settings. I installed the file and ran the game again. When I pulled up the config, it again was set to the default settings. That is when I started my search. I read that I could try deleting the cookies manually and try again, so I did just that. I then installed a "fresh" copy of the config file, started the game again, and pulled up the config. Once again, all the settings were set to default.

Since I was having no success troubleshooting my problem myself, I decided to wait until WA AwesomeMod was updated a few times so that El Presidente could work out more EAxian bugs, thinking that, that might be where my problem lies. I doubted that it was an EAxian problem being that it was a "simple" XML tweak file, but what would a lurking peasant like me know?

After 2.3 was released, and after reading the posts about it, I decided I'd try the test version of AwesomeMod for 2.3. I patched the game, without issues, and installed the 2.3 AwesomeMod. I deleted my cookies manually again and downloaded another config with my settings. Again, these are the only files in my Mod folder. I brought up the config in the game and it still is set to the default settings.

Is there anything else that I could do to try and fix my game so the config file works? Yes, I know that I can change the settings manually in the game, and if I only had a few personal preferences that wouldn't be a problem. I suppose I could do that anyways and keep the game open. Thank you.

n00b

Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
Re: AwesomeMod Configuration File Not Working
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 19, 06:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you put the aweconf.package file to the same directory you install AM?

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
ambivalentme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 19, 06:13:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, both files are in the Packages folder.

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 19, 07:21:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you deleting the four cache files located in My Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>World Adventures?  You should do that and then try re-doing your AweConfig file and downloading again.  Deleting those regularly is helpful, especially in cases where you are having problems like these.

You also don't mention if you are on a PC or a MAC, and if on PC, what operating system?

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 19, 07:34:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The screenshot appears to be a PC with Vista, though it might be Win7.

INFP or something
ambivalentme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 19, 08:15:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit - Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00GHz - 8.00 GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2
And if this means anything to anyone, the "Windows Experience Index Rating" for my computer is 7.3

I have a clean install of the game, with no custom content, no store content, and no package files in the mods folders except the awesome.package and the aweconfig.package. Also, every time I attempted to install a new config file, I deleted the cache files; the four files in the Sims 3 directory and the WorldCache folder.

I even tried moving the whole Sims 3 directory from My Documents and let the game generate a whole new folder, but everything I try, including another clean install, isn't working.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 19, 08:37:00 by ambivalentme » Logged
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 19, 12:24:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you copied the d3dx9_31.dll file into the Game>Bin folders of both the base game and the expansion?

Have you moved the Resource.cfg with the mod itself, but placed it into the directory outside of the Mods>Packages folders?

Have you made sure your framework is installed according to the directions in the "How To Install The Framework & AwesomeMod" thread?  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17454.0.html

These steps have resolved the no loading issue for almost everyone.  Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.  Your computer is certainly up to the task of running the game.

ambivalentme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 December 19, 17:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did follow your instructions for how to install the framework. Instructions that peasants and lurkers are very grateful for.

The d3dx9_31.dll file and Mods folder from the framework zip are in both directories. I have tried putting the two awesome files into the Sims 3 Mods/Packages and I have tried them in the WA Mods/Packages, both times the AwesomeMod works but not the configuration. I have tried editing the resource.cfg file to add an "AwesomeMod" directory so that the priority reads...

Priority 500
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Files/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/AwesomeMod/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package

But even with this setup it loads with the default settings.

Placing the Resource.cfg with the mod itself into any other directory results in the AwesomeMod not loading at all, unless I am not understanding your instructions.

I have no other issues with the game, it updated smoothly, it runs smoothly with AwesomeMod for 2.3, I have no error messages and no crashing/closing to the desktop issues. The only issue I have is that my configuration from aweconfig.package isn't loading, AwesomeMod continues to run with the default settings.

Thank you for the information and advice you have provided, I guess I will just have to deal with setting my preferences in game each time I load the game.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 December 19, 21:25:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's really strange!  Sorry it didn't work for you.  

Wait a minute, one last thing.  When you are in the AweConfig tool, are you clicking on the Green Tyrannosaurus Rex logo to generate the file?  Because I'm not so sure that the "Generate" button really does generate a file.  I always click on the icon and it works.

ETA:  Grasping at straws here ... I just tried it both ways and it did. indeed, download two files, both of which look identical when opened with Notepad.  You can try it (clicking on the green T Rex icon instead of the generate button) just to see if it works.  Other than that, change in game as you said and wait for Pescado to come along and see your problem.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 19, 21:33:44 by coconnor » Logged

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 December 19, 21:33:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait a minute, one last thing.  When you are in the AweConfig tool, are you clicking on the Green Tyrannosaurus Rex logo to generate the file?  Because I'm not so sure that the "Generate" button really does generate a file.  I always click on the icon and it works.

Either method works.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
orb
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 December 19, 22:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since it's Windows 7, couldn't it be just a problem with aweconf.package read permission not set for owner of Sims 3 process?
If it's possible, then setting Read or Full control ACL for Everyone group for that file would solve this problem.
ambivalentme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 December 20, 01:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured out what was wrong. Although I don't know why it happened in the first place nor do I know what fixed it.

I decided to try on my laptop to see if I could reproduce the problem. Clean install, smooth patching, and I set up the framework identically. All of that however, is not what fixed it. After finding that my settings correctly showed in the game on my laptop, I decided to compare the files on the two computers to look for differences. When I opened the aweconfig.package with notepad on my desktop computer, I found that everything in the file was just one long run on sentence, but when I opened the aweconfig file from the laptop, I found that it was what you would expect to see in an XML file, with line spacing and all that good stuff. Puzzled as to what caused the file on my desktop to mutate, I downloaded 4 more aweconfig files on my desk top. One in firefox using the image, one in firefox using the generate button, one in explorer using the image, and the last in explorer using the generate button. I opened all of them in notepad and they were all identical, perfect xml files. I moved one into the game, loaded up, and all my settings are there.

So, I know why it wasn't working before, the xml somehow was altered into one long line. But I don't know what caused or fixed it. Since my last post I have made no changes to my computer or any of the game files.

So, problem fixed, but mystery unsolved.

Thank you for the help. Now I'll slink back into the shadows to quietly lurk.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 December 20, 01:23:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad it finally worked out.  I don't believe we've seen that issue before.  Strange!

Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 December 21, 14:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is a screenshot of my aweconfig file which looks okay to me, but I am having the same problem as ambivalentme.  Don't know why my settings are at default.
madtaylor
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 December 21, 19:05:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tongue This is a stupid question, but where is the Resource.cfg located? I read the "How to Install the Framework/Awesomemod" page, but all I could find was where to move it to, not where it is originally located. Thanks for your help.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 December 22, 11:26:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Note that the AwesomeMod config file is a DBPF package, and if you want to edit it by hand, you have to extract it first. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EDIT IT DIRECTLY IN NOTEPAD.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SingleMomSim
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 December 25, 02:54:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am having a different issue with the configuration tool. I can't download it at all. All I really want is to "AllowOverstuffedHouses". I enable it, click on generate (or the logo) and try to save it. I get this error message:
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."

I have NO CLUE what that means. Anyone?
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 December 25, 03:27:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stop trying to open it and save the damn thing somewhere.

The stupid threshold has reached critical mass! Brain explosions imminent!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: