More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 12:44:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Patch 1.8/2.3 plus Create a World Released
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Patch 1.8/2.3 plus Create a World Released  (Read 237420 times)
Fireyhellpixie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Patch 1.8/2.3 plus Create a World Released
« Reply #225 on: 2009 December 18, 00:10:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was following this tutorial and as easy as it was to change the cfg to a txt... it wouldn't revert back to a cfg.  It would remain a txt file despite the cfg exetnsion seeing as how I could not access the txt ending.  Is there some other way I can open it to alter this?  I tried to play around in properties, but no luck so far.  

I had my extensions hidden, but I was able to save from a txt back to a .cfg. When you are in the text file, choose "Save as" and then there should be a drop-down box that mentions file type. Switch to make it say "All Files" before saving as Resource.cfg.   That worked for me at least, if I ignored that step it only came out as resource.cfg.txt.

I ended up taking my DCC folder out after all, as Riverview wouldn't show up. And when trying to install it through the Installer, it would result in a game crash. I'll assume because of it showing up in two diff. folders, (Wherever the launcher put it, plus my DDC folder in the mods folder)

When I go to save as I can either select the document type as text document, rich text format, text document MS DoS format, or Unicode text format.  I am running vista.. which is a pain. 
TaterTots
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2009 December 18, 00:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering if anyone tried adding the two riverview files from the world cache folder to their Mods/packages folder and if it is possible to copy the riverview.world file there and just add another line to the .cfg for the *.world.

(I haven't been brave enough to update yet. My legacy family is in Riverview.)

I also wondered if the problem with cc occurs only with files that have been compressed. Many legit store files were compressed.
All of my custom content (EXCEPT RIVERVIEW) is showing up using the method described in this thread.  However, after having spent valuable time on the phone with the EA techs today, and uninstalling/reinstalling/patching/redownloading, Riverview is still is not showing up in the drop down menu to start a new game (I did not have any previous Riverview saves, since early TS3 AwesomeMod tests).

If you would post those files somewhere, I'll try it though.  Since I uninstalled/reinstalled, I don't have those files.

I followed your instructions earlier in this thread and all the custom content is showing up now in my game along with Riverview for me. I'm having no crashing or launcher issues. The only thing I can't do now is install new content. But I am using Windows XP, not Vista. Had to give up Vista because of too many game incompatibilities.
tryguy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2009 December 18, 00:28:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I haven't patched yet, since I'm waiting on another core mod to be updated, and I don't mind playing an unbroken 1.79 in the meantime.

But, someone mentioned that there's a theory that only compressorized things don't show up. That might or might not be true, but could someone actually test that?

You can decompressorize packages with the -d flag. So, "s3rc -d <file>". What I'd do, is have things as normal (without the dcc files in the mods folder), and then see if any store things show. If they don't show in-game (which is probably what'll be the case), then uninstall them, uncompress the file, and then reinstall. Does that fix things or not? If it doesn't, then that theory is out.

Is the Riverview that people download through the launcher working for them purely because they're using the launcher to download it direct for EA, or is it that the file is slightly different than what we all once downloaded months ago?

It'll be a while before I'm going to "upgrade", looks like, but if someone could do some tests on why legit (free) items aren't working, that'd be great.
Cathy
Blathering Buffoon

Heavy Sleper

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2009 December 18, 00:46:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you able to install Store stuff after the patch?

Edit: I can install only the stuff from the Store I had before the pacthc, even the ones I downloaded from here...weird
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 01:02:02 by Cathy » Logged

MattQuinn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 2009 December 18, 01:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was able to get Riverview to work, by moving the Installed Worlds folder from Documents/Electronic Arts to Desktop.  Then I copied  Riverview.world from the Installed Worlds folder, and pasted it into C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/GameData/Shared/NonPackaged/Worlds Folder.  It's the same folder with Sunset Valley.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2009 December 18, 01:17:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was able to get Riverview to work, by moving the Installed Worlds folder from Documents/Electronic Arts to Desktop.  Then I copied  Riverview.world from the Installed Worlds folder, and pasted it into C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/GameData/Shared/NonPackaged/Worlds Folder.  It's the same folder with Sunset Valley.
If someone could please post the Riverview world file (from their "Installed Worlds" folder somewhere for download, that might help.  I stupidly did not back up the "Installed Worlds" folder during uninstall/reinstall.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 01:32:29 by coconnor » Logged

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
TaterTots
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 2009 December 18, 01:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But, someone mentioned that there's a theory that only compressorized things don't show up. That might or might not be true, but could someone actually test that?

In my opinion there might be some truth to this because the only items that showed up in my game prior to messing with the files are the items I purchased from the store itself and patterns made with the TSR tool prior to the tool being made to compress the files. Patterns made with the updated TSR tool and all store items downloaded here would not show up.
ciane
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2009 December 18, 01:43:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I surfed away just before your response post. I read through stuff on the EA forums that are back up and over on MTS before returning. I am uploading the riverview.world file now. It's taking awhile as I didn't want to compress it first (if that figures into the equation at all). I'll edit when the file finishes uploading.

The most useful information I found was that Riverview has to be uninstalled and all 22 items (to include all overalls) must also be uninstalled. Then, if the launcher is working, Riverview can be reinstalled. If the launcher isn't working, use add/remove programs to uninstall the EADM and then reinstall that. That should jump-start the launcher.

The file keeps hanging up on the last 1-5 %. I'll keep trying to get it uploaded.

Here: http://www.4shared.com/file/175568178/c102aad3/Riverview.html (I see it also below)
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 01:54:38 by ciane » Logged
MattQuinn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 2009 December 18, 01:47:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was able to get Riverview to work, by moving the Installed Worlds folder from Documents/Electronic Arts to Desktop.  Then I copied  Riverview.world from the Installed Worlds folder, and pasted it into C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/GameData/Shared/NonPackaged/Worlds Folder.  It's the same folder with Sunset Valley.
If someone could please post the Riverview world file (from their "Installed Worlds" folder somewhere for download, that might help.  I stupidly did not back up the "Installed Worlds" folder during uninstall/reinstall.

http://www.4shared.com/file/175562328/d04c6a9c/Riverview.html
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2009 December 18, 02:02:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.4shared.com/file/175562328/d04c6a9c/Riverview.html
Thanks MattQuinn, I'm going to try that!  I will let you know how it goes.

I surfed away just before your response post. I read through stuff on the EA forums that are back up and over on MTS before returning. I am uploading the riverview.world file now. It's taking awhile as I didn't want to compress it first (if that figures into the equation at all). I'll edit when the file finishes uploading.

The most useful information I found was that Riverview has to be uninstalled and all 22 items (to include all overalls) must also be uninstalled. Then, if the launcher is working, Riverview can be reinstalled. If the launcher isn't working, use add/remove programs to uninstall the EADM and then reinstall that. That should jump-start the launcher.

The file keeps hanging up on the last 1-5 %. I'll keep trying to get it uploaded.

Here: http://www.4shared.com/file/175568178/c102aad3/Riverview.html (I see it also below)

Thanks also to Ciane!  I'll be trying these things shortly to see how it works.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 02:17:36 by coconnor » Logged

ciane
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2009 December 18, 02:24:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just in case these are needed, here's the compressed files from the world cache folder. (The uncompressed, Zipped files were just too large for free file sharing.)

http://www.4shared.com/file/175589620/b06d1925/Riverview_objectspackage.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/175589630/a9762864/Riverview_simspackage.html
Cathy
Blathering Buffoon

Heavy Sleper

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2009 December 18, 02:52:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't work for me... I mean I don't have any more packages showing in my game...*sigh*

Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 2009 December 18, 03:13:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think my problem is caused by my launcher. I run the game through Sims3EP1 and it worked fine!

*I installed AM beta and CD check disabled*

EDIT: yes it absolutely about the launcher I think. When in-game, I select Shop Mode and the windows pops out before it crashes
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 03:34:13 by pussy » Logged

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2009 December 18, 06:20:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ ciane & MattQuinn:  I copied the Riverview file you posted into my C:/Games/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/GameData/Shared/NonPackaged/Worlds Folder and now it works and appears in the drop-down menu from the Select-A-Game screen.  I did not have to take any other steps, except that I also recopied the dcdb0.dbc file from the DCCache in My Documents to the new file in Mods>Packages for good measure.  I did not remove the original Installed Worlds file from My Documents.

Another user, Coyote, had also posted something similar in another thread.  So this issue seems to be "worked-around"!  MattQuinn, you might want to start a separate thread on this issue called "Getting Riverview to Show Up In Your Game After the 1.8/2.3 Patch" and you could try PMing BastDawn to have it locked.  This would probably be best placed in this section ~ "The Horror, The Horror").

Thanks for your input, everyone!

PolecatEZ
Blathering Buffoon

Necatur Americanus - and I vote!

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2009 December 18, 07:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New bug!

In an attempt to get Riverview to work and fix a hard-lock whenever I visited China, I completely re-installed and re-patched the game.

Now NOTHING installs in the launcher.  It says success, but then it shows that it is not installed, and doesn't show up in the game.  Total BS, this all was working before...did they update the launcher to sniff out arr'd content or did I somehow bork my re-installation?

Also note that I can no longer do the .dbc switch method because the .dbc files no longer build when I try to install the items.  Anyone else having this issue?  All my .sims3pack files were working fine until the re-install except for Riverview items, now nothing works properly.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 07:53:19 by PolecatEZ » Logged
iHateyou
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2009 December 18, 09:19:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was able to get Riverview to work, by moving the Installed Worlds folder from Documents/Electronic Arts to Desktop.  Then I copied  Riverview.world from the Installed Worlds folder, and pasted it into C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/GameData/Shared/NonPackaged/Worlds Folder.  It's the same folder with Sunset Valley.

I did this and not only did it restore Riverview to my dropdown list of towns I could create, but it restored a saved game that I have been unable to play since the patch.
A Gorilla To Be Remembered
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2009 December 18, 09:59:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Observations made while fiddling with custom content (don't know if this will help anyone since I'm technologically leotarded, but here you go anyway).

I'm on a mac running fully patched WA. As with many others, my launcher installed CC disappeared when I patched, including bought store items. Did a clean install of the game, and redownloaded items from the store--store items are now working fine (including Riverview). Configured my resource.cfg, and added the dcdb files. Tested the game with newly installed packages, arr'd store items, arr'd non-store sims3packs, and free sims3packs.

Here's my Frankenstein .cfg if anyone is interested--this is pieced together from various .cfgs seen around the interwebs. It seems to work fine so far, though it could be harming more than it's helping:

Priority 501
PackedFile Mods/Override/*.package
Priority 500
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Packages/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Hair/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Skins/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Decor/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Accessories/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Clothing/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Build/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Patterns/*.package
PackedFile Mods/DCC/*.dbc
Priority 499
PackedFile Mods/Test/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Mods/Probation/*.package

Observations:

*lots install and appear in-game, but some hang on placement (specifically lots from The Exchange so far) (still testing).
*Arr'd store items "install" but don't show up in-game and disappear from the launcher "installed items" pane.
*Both arr'd and free non-store items are installing inconsistently, regardless of being pay or not.
*Package files are no longer causing the massive lag brought on by the last patch so far (still testing).
*AM crashes the game at the load screen (though AM never played well on my mac with the last patch either).
*The EA in-game store is utterly non-existent (what is this "store" you speak of?).

I hope this helps those brave folks trying to troubleshoot the issue a bit. I'll edit this as I test more. Cheers and good luck to you all!
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2009 December 18, 13:29:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am able to see Riverview from the dropdown list. But a line of numbers showed up in the description

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
thealienamongus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Patch 1.8/2.3 Released - CAW Out
« Reply #243 on: 2009 December 18, 14:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so I found out what happened to all the .Sims3packs. The EA launcher, and the game itself, no longer correctly reads them. Anyone, most noteably TSR, who relies on them, is now fucked. A workaround exists, but it involves DARK SORCERY and ELDRITCH ABOMINATIONS, so that's right out for TSR. But I fixed it.

:ROFL:  Grin After all the pain .package supporters (mainly MTS) went through, and many creators jumping ship to use the .sims3packs this is at least a bit of poetic justice.
Delry
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 2009 December 18, 16:28:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am able to see Riverview from the dropdown list. But a line of numbers showed up in the description

I had that problem too. I solved it by doing what slymenstra recommended to make the personalized content is displayed in the game.

I am not a hacker or modder but I got my CC to work.  What I did was I copied my resource.cfg files to my desktop.  I had 2, I have always had 2 and I have no idea why or how, but my CC has been working so why change what ain't broke?

BACK UP!! your DCCache, your Mods folder, saves, and resource.cfg files.
Copy your resource.cfg file/s to your desk top.
To edit your resource.cfg you have to change .cfg to .txt and say okay when the computer yells at you.
Just copy and paste this into your resource.txt

Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.dbc
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.dbc
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.dbc
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.dbc
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.dbc

Click save and then rename the file back to resource.cfg.  Place it back in your Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ World Adventure folder.  

I have another resource.cfg file in my Mods folder/Files. I made it look like this:

Priority 500
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Files/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.dbc

I have no idea if I need it, so skip this if you do not have one there.

Then I copied my files in my DCCache folder into the Misc folder under Mods.  I have no idea if I need to delete the DCCache, I didn't and things were working well.

I will update this if people tell me it is wrong, but my game is working, my CC is showing up, I do not lag horribly and my load times are about the same as before.

I had not done before putting Riverview.world in the folder Non packaged worlds, but after doing so, the numbers disappeared and was replaced with the text that corresponded. If you don`t do this the custom objects of Riverview (The stadium, the science building ..) does not appear in the game and the descriptions of households and the streets of Riverview will not appear
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: 2009 December 18, 17:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everything I installed that is legit or CC has installed and worked perfectly fine, except for a few store freebies that are no longer available.

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 2009 December 18, 17:45:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, there are two newly created files in the download folder with this patch.  Both are .bin files.  The first is named (your email address as known by EA).bin and the second is called NAV.bin.  Any ideas?  Seems like a form of spyware.

CtDs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 2009 December 18, 18:15:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a client side copy of your store account. If you never sign in to the store, it doesn't know about you.
Spyware or not? It's TS3's new DRM, make of it what you will.
A Gorilla To Be Remembered
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 2009 December 18, 18:23:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, there are two newly created files in the download folder with this patch.  Both are .bin files.  The first is named (your email address as known by EA).bin and the second is called NAV.bin.  Any ideas?  Seems like a form of spyware.

I have neither of these files. But then again, the in-game store is completely absent from my game, so I'm guessing those are store-related files (i.e.-store login/purchasing history info and the in-game store's coding/programming/language-that-makes-it-work-thing).
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2009 December 18, 18:31:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have these, so I'm guessing that they happened because you pressed the Tard Button.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: