More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:37:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  World Adventures Hits the Interwebs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: World Adventures Hits the Interwebs  (Read 59823 times)
guardianpegasus
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: World Adventures Hits the Interwebs
« Reply #50 on: 2009 November 19, 02:23:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like how everyone assumes that women in headscarves = sexism.  There are women who choose to wear headscarves for their own reasons, you know, and even women who choose to convert to Islam and then wear headscarves of their own free will.  Of course, I don't actually have WA, so for all I know the male Egypt townies beat the women in headscarves and don't let them drive cars, either.  Given that this is EA, I wouldn't really be surprised.

Yes, there are women who choose to wear headscarves. There are also women who choose to be in abusive relationships, so it really proves nothing. The only thing we know for sure is that progressive muslim countries like Turkey and Egypt are trying to ban the scarf, while oppressive radical militant islamist countries like Iran, and... well... the rest of them, are trying to enforce it. There is nothing in the quran about headscarves. All it says is to dress modestly. Dressing in radical islamist fascist garments both in their own countries as well as living in the west is not following islam - it's how a cult movement behaves. So anyway, in conclusion, yeah, the headscarf is offensive, both to True(tm) muslims and non-muslims and women alike. It's a symbol of violent islamic revolution.

But yeah, no beatings, just a lot of poking, shoving, mean interactions... though if any of them catch fire I will be suspicious  Roll Eyes
chann
Corpulent Cretin

TS3: an "eye-opening tour de farce" (sic)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: 2009 November 19, 03:19:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also wish they had left the names of the countries out of it, because I feel like it ruins the suspension of disbelief. The only two countries we had ever heard of were Sim Nation and their enemy, the Red State or something like that.

Al Simhara, Champs Les Sims and Shang Simla would have been plenty. I don't mind the cultural similarities, the symbols etc. but calling them Egypt, China and France really kind of irritates me. I look at that text and go "NOOO! This is the Sims! It shouldn't say that!" Those destination names they came up with for both Bon Voyage and those I mentioned above are fine. We didn't need to bring religious sexism and real world grief into this game!

It was an idiotic marketing ploy. When I get the game it will be one of the first things I mod out (it's just text anyway).
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2009 November 19, 03:40:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if the women in Sim Egypt are wearing headscarves, at least they are not enforced on every female tourist who visits Sim Egypt like they are in /some/ Muslim countries.

That would piss me off.

"Of two evils, choose the prettier."
guardianpegasus
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 November 19, 05:33:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol good point.

Anyway... I hope to request that every reference to China, France and Egypt be removed in awesomemod as well, as an option. It just totally screws up the Sims universe which, the entire point of the game being, that it is a distinct, seperate, yet similar, nonsenical world... and yeah it was probably a marketing ploy, but it's amazing how the people who took over after Maxis missed so badly when it came to the "soul" of the franchise. It just really shows that a lot of people who work at Redwood Shores and on The Sims 3 don't really "Get" The Sims, but rather approach it as they would any other game. I think that's obvious from how goal-oriented both Sims 3 and especially World Adventures now also is. World Adventures as an addon is sort of like adding a new game onto the existing one, which is fine, if it were truly optional, but with World Adventures it's sort of the majority point of the entire expansion...

I don't like EAxis. And I don't like Redwood Shores (I'm going to have to think about a pun name for them, shouldn't be too hard, it has potential).
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 2009 November 19, 05:39:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Failhard bores? It rhymes at least.

I'm not offended so much by the real diestinations thing, but TS3 is my first sims game, so I suppose I missed the 'Great' period. I do not find completing checklists to be very fun though, and unless you use epic lifespans, or rig immortality, you will never have a character who has finished everything. This irritates me.

By the way, there's a new 1.7 patch out. It's supposed to combat the save issues.

KawaiiMiyo
Dollaboo
Dimwitted Dunce

INFP! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 November 19, 10:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While it's true EA has their many many faults, when you get right down to it all, I think this whole "Great period" of previous games/expansions is just an illusion... In my opinion at least... I mean, their have always been complaints, since the days of TS1... whenever a new expansion pack came out, people complained about how they could have done more of something, and how something in the expansion pack was dissapointing.... but give it some time, and a few more expansions... and whatever people once complained about, soon becomes these "Great days of Sims"
      I'd like to see those people go back to playing TS1, or TS2 without those expansion packs that hadnt come out until recently.... Despite all those complaints, I'm sure there will be something they cant do without, that was featured in something newer.

As far as completing those checklists and following those weird tasks etc... It's not the first time they've had something like that entirely, I hated in Bon Voyage, how long it took me to unlock certain interactions, and their were tasks/goals there as well... If you dont like that sort of thing, thats what mods are for. And there will be plenty of them to take care of those "Extra nuisances"

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. ~Ayn Rand
guardianpegasus
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 November 19, 14:22:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well obviously you have to take years of development and increased computing power and advances in general into account. Sims 2 was bugged as hell as well but it was fixed quickly and the remaining issues were not critical. In Sims 3 we see several critical stability issues that keep reappearing and a myriad of patches, but now World Adventures is here, and it's broken again... plus they added a host of new problems. Not to mention these new developers of Sims 3, Redwood Shores, do not understand the Sims product like Maxis (makers of Sims 1 & 2) did.

I do believe Sims 2 and it's expansions were better in terms of stability and the essence of the sims. Like Moryrie says, this is his FIRST Sims game, and he hates the fact that he can't control his sims without making them immortal. Well, that's my exact grief with this game as well. It takes power and control OUT of the player's hands, and that's just not what the sims is about. Redwood Shores have REALLY missed the philosophical mark with The Sims 3, and if it weren't for Awesomemod I wouldn't be playing this game.
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 November 19, 15:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and if it weren't for Awesomemod I wouldn't be playing this game.

Me too! But I also think TS3 is better than TS2, just for the neighborhood integration, and the sim you see is actually the sim, not a duplicate of the sim like in TS2. However, without AM, TS3 is not playable. So these features really don't matter if there is no AM to give the control back to the players.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: 2009 November 19, 17:13:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well obviously you have to take years of development and increased computing power and advances in general into account. Sims 2 was bugged as hell as well but it was fixed quickly and the remaining issues were not critical. In Sims 3 we see several critical stability issues that keep reappearing and a myriad of patches, but now World Adventures is here, and it's broken again... plus they added a host of new problems. Not to mention these new developers of Sims 3, Redwood Shores, do not understand the Sims product like Maxis (makers of Sims 1 & 2) did.

I do believe Sims 2 and it's expansions were better in terms of stability and the essence of the sims. Like Moryrie says, this is his FIRST Sims game, and he hates the fact that he can't control his sims without making them immortal. Well, that's my exact grief with this game as well. It takes power and control OUT of the player's hands, and that's just not what the sims is about. Redwood Shores have REALLY missed the philosophical mark with The Sims 3, and if it weren't for Awesomemod I wouldn't be playing this game.

I'm not a he. I thought my name sounded feminine enough. It's the verb 'to die' in Italian creatively mispelt. I've also gone by 'Lady Moryrie,' 'Mademoiselle Moryrie', and Elizadeath.

Oh well. And it's not quite that I can't 'control them' .. it's that I can't finish all the checklists the game gives you without immortality. I can finish lifetime wishes easily enough, but I feel compelling to max all skills and all the little subgoals involved with those skills. And hidden skills.

guardianpegasus
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 November 19, 18:50:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and if it weren't for Awesomemod I wouldn't be playing this game.

Me too! But I also think TS3 is better than TS2, just for the neighborhood integration, and the sim you see is actually the sim, not a duplicate of the sim like in TS2. However, without AM, TS3 is not playable. So these features really don't matter if there is no AM to give the control back to the players.

My sentiments exactly. By most all accounts the game is better, but if it's broken beyond repair and no longer plays like the Sims... what's the point?
pandorajinel
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 November 19, 19:16:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like how everyone assumes that women in headscarves = sexism.  There are women who choose to wear headscarves for their own reasons, you know, and even women who choose to convert to Islam and then wear headscarves of their own free will.  Of course, I don't actually have WA, so for all I know the male Egypt townies beat the women in headscarves and don't let them drive cars, either.  Given that this is EA, I wouldn't really be surprised.

Yes, there are women who choose to wear headscarves. There are also women who choose to be in abusive relationships, so it really proves nothing. The only thing we know for sure is that progressive muslim countries like Turkey and Egypt are trying to ban the scarf, while oppressive radical militant islamist countries like Iran, and... well... the rest of them, are trying to enforce it. There is nothing in the quran about headscarves. All it says is to dress modestly. Dressing in radical islamist fascist garments both in their own countries as well as living in the west is not following islam - it's how a cult movement behaves. So anyway, in conclusion, yeah, the headscarf is offensive, both to True(tm) muslims and non-muslims and women alike. It's a symbol of violent islamic revolution.

But yeah, no beatings, just a lot of poking, shoving, mean interactions... though if any of them catch fire I will be suspicious  Roll Eyes

Actually it says pull your veils over your chest and don't show your adornment except for what is apparent of it. Does that mean wear a headscarf? That's between each person and God, most people who study Islamic history and law believe it does. I believe it does so I chose to wear it. That's the thing about a book that hasn't been significantly changed in generations, they start to mean different things to different people. Incidentally, I'm from America (born and raised in the midwest) and am a liberal.
Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

brainless piece of sack of fruitcakes

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 November 19, 19:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a he. I thought my name sounded feminine enough. It's the verb 'to die' in Italian creatively mispelt. I've also gone by 'Lady Moryrie,' 'Mademoiselle Moryrie', and Elizadeath.

Very creatively indeed. Not quite sure how "Moryrie" is meant to represent a word (morire) which rhymes with day.

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 November 19, 19:22:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very creatively indeed. Not quite sure how "Moryrie" is meant to represent a word (morire) which rhymes with day.

Nails, don't ruin its moment of over-sharing.  It is special and needs to tell us!
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 November 19, 23:02:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually it says pull your veils over your chest and don't show your adornment except for what is apparent of it. Does that mean wear a headscarf?

Sounds like don't show off your boobs to me.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 2009 November 20, 00:57:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing we know for sure is that progressive muslim countries like Turkey and Egypt are trying to ban the scarf,

...seriously?  That doesn't strike me as terribly "progressive", TBH.  I'm also not sure how choosing to wear a piece of clothing can be compared to choosing to be in an abusive relationship, but meh.

I'm actually still wondering if there are going to be Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese cultural elements in "China"/Onebiglumpistan.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

guardianpegasus
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 November 20, 18:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One could argue that religion IS an abusive relationship Wink It also seems like all the middle eastern ones have funny noses, at least the premade ones. But enough about that. At least in this thread. Anyway, my point was, how much realism do we WANT in a Sims game? I think Redwood Shores are missing the philosophical mark. World Adventures is also waaay too goal-oriented.

It also crashes hardcore every 30-60 minutes...
Ayana
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 November 21, 04:48:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Public Service Announcement, stay away from TPB right now. Someone I trust to know this shit just told me the site's being majorly tracked now.

Halfway done, too. Bah. Damn Demonoid being down, I've been avoiding TPB ever since the whole lawsuit thing, and WA tempted me back.  Angry
coltraz
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 November 21, 07:03:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried to pay close attention to how people are going about successful patching and installations of arr'd copies of WA, but I'm quite lost when it comes to actually DOING it. Has anyone written out a step by step process that updates your current arr'd TS3 with the correct patches? I'm using the razor version, which is worldwide, right? So all I do is grab the patch 1.7.9 from here for example?

I'm still waiting on AM but it would be nice to have WA installed and my game updated (and running smoothly, if possible...) before AM actually releases, so that all I have to do is place it in my game. In the meantime I can use a new 'hood to check WA out. I just don't want to waste my time reinstalling the entire base game and all that shit if I can avoid making dumb mistakes the first time around. How can I do the best to avoid common issues folks are encountering? Perhaps it's all very straight forward and it's just tards making it APPEAR difficult?

Also, updating the game via the launcher aint an option.
mindtempest
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 November 21, 09:22:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm actually still wondering if there are going to be Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese cultural elements in "China"/Onebiglumpistan.

Yes, matter-of-factly, there are 4 new species varieties of koi, and a Dragon Fish in China.
I seriously thought they actually bothered to make a pun on koi names, my hopes went up when I saw "Doitsu", but all 4 species varieties are real-life koi species. Shame on EAxis.
« Last Edit: 2009 November 21, 10:08:55 by mindtempest » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 November 21, 09:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want the killer carp from Dwarf Fortress.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jefrir
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 November 21, 11:07:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Townies seem to be being slightly more active about finding mates than in base game. I've had at least one sim start as a baby and find their own partner, which I never saw in base game.
cactus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 November 21, 12:00:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I am one of those who actualy bought the game "guilty as charged"  Grin So, the first time I tried to install, my game stopped loading after intro. I have put out the all mods, and game now loads (very slow, but it gets there), and when I finaly want to start to play it wont move.... for ages. I didn`t have any pathces installed because my game worked perfectly after I bought a new computer (no saving problems or errors whatsoever). Yesterday I installed WA and it said I have to update first, so I did. It doesn`t crash my game or anything, it just sooooooo fu.... slow Sad
guardianpegasus
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 November 21, 18:37:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Erm, it really pays to reinstall the whole thing... and wipe your registry and folders because it leaves some stuff behind.

I did notice that the travel destinations are considerably slower than the home neighbourhoods. More detail probably.
TapThatBooty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 November 22, 17:36:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question about the Razor1911 game and the Reloaded WA game.

What I done was completely uninstalled the game because it wasn't working. I reinstalled it and downloaded a patch that brought the game from 131 to 166, then installed the patch that brings it up to date. http://games.softpedia.com/progDownload/The-Sims-3-Patch-Download-43741.html you can get them from here. After that you can install WA.
Tever
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009 November 23, 06:45:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Newbie to arr'ing here. Can I someone recommend a good, freeware/shareware virtual drive creator? Yeah, I know, Daemon Tools (Google is my abusive butoccasionally helpful friend), but I can't afford it. Don't get me wrong; I've figured out how to find them. I just want to know which ones are actually good and won't cause my drive to stop working after the 30-day trials ends or something.

I told myself after Spore that I wasn't giving EA one more cent, and this time, I mean it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: