More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:16:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Bypassing the launcher on the mac
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bypassing the launcher on the mac  (Read 72436 times)
pet_peeve
Asinine Airhead

Malordorous chowder jockey

View Profile
Bypassing the launcher on the mac
« on: 2009 August 19, 04:39:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was envious of this "why do you use the launcher?" stuff as a mac user, so I stumbled around in the directories until I found what controls how cedega/crossover starts up. It turns out to be really easy to change!
  • find the executable itself - probably in /(your hard drive)/Applications/The Sims 3.
  • Right click on it, and select "show package contents".
  • Open the "contents" directory if it isn't already.
  • You will see a file named info.plist. Open that by dragging it onto textedit. Don't move it out of that directory! You might want to take a backup first.
  • Scroll down to the line after this one:
    <key>CedegaGameName</key>
  • Change the last part to read TS3.exe instead of S3Launcher.exe. Be careful not to disturb any of the rest of the file or mess with line endings. It's XML and an extra return shouldn't matter ... but you never know.
  • Save and quit textedit.

That's it - you will now launch directly into the game instead of going through the launcher. Note that this means you will not see the launcher again AT ALL unless you change the file back. But this is not a loss.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
Re: Bypassing the launcher on the mac
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 21, 17:10:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did the same, but I found out that launching the game in this way will lead to horrible graphic glitches at load. It doesn't make much sense and I have no idea why; it started after the 1.3 patch, though.

Did you notice anything similar, or it was only my game for some odd reason?

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 21, 18:37:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, I couldn't even get far enough to check out the graphics when I tried this out. The loading screen keeps freezing on me. I wandered away from the computer for awhile to give it some time, but it sat with the green loading bar frozen and none of the words flashing across the bottom for probably 3-4 minutes. I finally switched out the old .plist for the edited one to see if it was something with my game, but that one loaded up in no time. This was with the most recent patch, 1.4.

I'd love to find a way to get around the damn launcher, though. Ugh.

I sing along with elevator music.
Louisb
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 21, 23:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I edited the plist and the game skips the launcher and loads and plays without issue. (1.4.6.2)

I wonder if problems might be related to using a crack? The only NoCD I have is AwesomeMod.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 22, 04:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't be an issue with the no-cd crack since I only use AM.

Strangely enough, I finally got the game to bypass the launcher without issue. Since random voodoo sometimes seems to prove effective on this game, I cleared all the caches, deleted the thumbnails, and even tried removing and replacing the Packages folder. The mysterious freeze disappeared entirely, and I didn't notice any unusual graphics glitches during the few minutes of test gameplay. Prior to this, I tried it about three different times and couldn't get it to work so I have no idea why any of this would have helped, but apparently something did.

pet_peeve
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 22, 05:17:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Weird. I've been playing it this way since 1.4 with no issues at all. The only time I ever had lockups at launch was from the launcher itself, which is why I wanted to do a bypass. For me at least, the game starts up exactly like it does when you click the play button in the launcher - you just don't see the launcher first.

Mine's a storebought copy, so it's certainly possible there's something with the cracked version that doesn't work if you bypass the launcher.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 22, 15:16:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For me, this does work (and thanks for posting about it =). I'm running Razor 1.2.7. I've only started the game onece or twice since I edited the plist, though. But i figure even if I do get glitches on the long run, it's easy to revert.

I forwarded your tip to Mac Help at mts, as well: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=365310 -- no problems reported so far (but then not many people read Mac Halp).
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 22, 20:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those are really good news, I'll try again, maybe it was only some voodoo glitch.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 23, 00:50:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I tried using this, I got a weird graphical glitch where every so often my screen would take on a cyan tint during play.  Other than that it worked great, but the blue was a little distracting.  This wasn't the kind of glitch you got, was it, Marhis?

Edit: Actually, it looks like this is just my old CRT in its death throes.  In which case the bypass has no problems for me (retail + patches through 1.4 or so).
« Last Edit: 2009 August 23, 01:06:36 by sudaki » Logged
Sparkles
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 August 23, 02:10:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I tried this, it wouldn't start at all, ha.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 August 23, 20:01:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It works!

With the game fully patched, up to 1.4 it works and has no graphical glitches; if any of you still has, it's probably because it's not patched. BTW beware, as the game patched from 1.3 onwards on Mac will be a PITA in terms of playability.

When I tried this, it wouldn't start at all, ha.

Check that you wrote correctly the path; if you have it correct, it will start, no matter what.

------
simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 August 24, 13:33:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just another "it worked for me post."  I've got the most current patch, I followed pet_peeve's directions, and the game runs without the launcher.
reflecttheother
Asinine Airhead

Sims: poor fashion choices and flammable bodies

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 August 30, 02:08:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just implemented this and it works like a charm; thank you for tracking this down!  Something worth mentioning, though, is that the game still tries to phone home so turning off your internet connection or having a program like Little Snitch is still appropriate.  Perhaps this was obvious to others, but I did not expect the game to phone home after bypassing the launcher, hence I thought I would mention it here.

reflecttheother, INTP
pet_peeve
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 August 30, 17:27:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just implemented this and it works like a charm; thank you for tracking this down!  Something worth mentioning, though, is that the game still tries to phone home so turning off your internet connection or having a program like Little Snitch is still appropriate.  Perhaps this was obvious to others, but I did not expect the game to phone home after bypassing the launcher, hence I thought I would mention it here.

I wasn't doing it to avoid phone-homeage, since I have a legit copy - simply because the launcher is a huge, unnecessary mess and I don't want to see it.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 August 30, 17:42:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Phone-Homeage is BAD. "Legitimacy" is not a defense against spyware. While the launcher uses standard open protocols that can be analyzed publicly, unnecessary contact will still allow signal intelligence data to be extracted from contact, and should be avoided. Plus, the launcher apparently performs its own pointless CD check, just to be annoying.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
reflecttheother
Asinine Airhead

Sims: poor fashion choices and flammable bodies

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 August 30, 22:51:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't doing it to avoid phone-homeage, since I have a legit copy - simply because the launcher is a huge, unnecessary mess and I don't want to see it.

I have a legit copy as well, so this phoning home thing isn't just symptomatic of arr'd copies.  As Pescado just said, phoning home is bad so you might consider turning off your internet connection while playing the game or getting something like Little Snitch to protect yourself during general internet tomfoolery.

reflecttheother, INTP
pet_peeve
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 September 01, 00:19:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I'm in total agreement about the evilness of phoning home - I just wanted to make it clear that skipping the launcher doesn't have any effect on phone-home behavior, since there seemed to be a message implying that there was.

vagabondher
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 December 14, 05:48:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was envious of this "why do you use the launcher?" stuff as a mac user, so I stumbled around in the directories until I found what controls how cedega/crossover starts up. It turns out to be really easy to change!
  • find the executable itself - probably in /(your hard drive)/Applications/The Sims 3.
  • Right click on it, and select "show package contents".
  • Open the "contents" directory if it isn't already.
  • You will see a file named info.plist. Open that by dragging it onto textedit. Don't move it out of that directory! You might want to take a backup first.
  • Scroll down to the line after this one:
    <key>CedegaGameName</key>
  • Change the last part to read TS3.exe instead of S3Launcher.exe. Be careful not to disturb any of the rest of the file or mess with line endings. It's XML and an extra return shouldn't matter ... but you never know.
  • Save and quit textedit.

That's it - you will now launch directly into the game instead of going through the launcher. Note that this means you will not see the launcher again AT ALL unless you change the file back. But this is not a loss.

Still goes through launcher for me. Still says insert disc. I can't create an alias of the TS3.exe file, obviously, because...it's still .exe.

I've searched this forum for other solutions to this no disc thing, I have awesomemod installed and everything. I really want to play this effing game, so if someone could help me out with a solution, that'd be great.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 December 15, 00:32:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You either skipped a step or messed it up. The method described still works, as I'm using it right now on the macbook.

vorpal
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 December 15, 04:37:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is, however, one tiny thing that has not been mentioned in the first post. These directions are for base game only. If you want to bypass the launcher of an expanded game you will have to edit the latest EP's or SP's Info.plist accordingly and replace the Launcher.exe reference with the respective EP's .exe.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 December 15, 16:20:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's true, but since the game always runs from the newest EP rather than the base game exe, I wouldn't think that would be too big a surprise.

spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 December 15, 19:15:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never discount the almost superhuman capacity for people to become "surprised" when following simple directions.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: