More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 04:46:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Cannot Uninstall Sims3pack File
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Cannot Uninstall Sims3pack File  (Read 10153 times)
RiceBall
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Cannot Uninstall Sims3pack File
« on: 2009 August 14, 01:11:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm unable to remove custom content(hair) installed into the game via the launcher. The launcher will begin the uninstall process but auto aborts once the green progress bar has partially filled.

Does anyone know of a tool I could use to uninstall the file or any other suggestions? Thanks!

« Last Edit: 2009 August 15, 05:22:44 by RiceBall » Logged
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
Re: Cannot Uninstall Sims3pack File
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 14, 08:53:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I woud imagine you could just delete the Sims3.pack file itself.  You should be able to find it in My Documents:/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Downloads folder if you are running Windows.

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
RiceBall
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 15, 04:51:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've already done that but it doesn't help.

The downloads folder is a backup; installed sims3pack files are mashed together in the dccache folder, so unless it is removed from there, it will always remain installed.

I've edited my first post to make that more clear.

Thanks for replying
« Last Edit: 2009 August 15, 05:23:41 by RiceBall » Logged
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 15, 06:16:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The green progress bar is the same as loading the main .exe. Try deleting your cache files in my documents and do it again. Next time don't use the launcher at all to do anything. Install package files, using 3viewer.
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 15, 16:41:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, for simplicity's sake-  OP has installed downloaded custom content via the launcher.  What are the exact instructions for deleting this content?  Are the instructions the same for deleting downloaded lots and sims, as well?
Can we get a definitive set of instructions for everyone?  Would save some time.

*I have not had occasion to delete anything, so I do not know.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 15, 17:39:40 by snowbawl » Logged
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 15, 20:59:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, for simplicity's sake-  OP has installed downloaded custom content via the launcher.  What are the exact instructions for deleting this content?  Are the instructions the same for deleting downloaded lots and sims, as well?
Can we get a definitive set of instructions for everyone?  Would save some time.
I second that! And I have an occasion, a dress that besides being ugly in-game turned up in underwear, sports wear and swim wear as well (Everytime this happens I want to punch somebody, I just don't get how somebody equipped with at least two working brain cells could consider this a good idea.) and refuses to be uninstalled via the Launcher. Actually the Launcher shows it as being uninstalled but it's still in the game...
RiceBall
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 16, 02:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

nanacake: Tried that long before I created this thread; doesn't solve the problem. Oddly enough I was looking at 3viewer for it's uninstall functions which I can't seem to find, meh.
I've solved the problem for myself by deleting the dccache folder and reinstalling everythig. Huge hassle but with no other solutions presenting themselves...

Snowball: Are you asking about downloaded or install content via launcher? For downloaded content, look at coconnor post in this thread. For installed content open the launcher, click on the installed content button, check the item you want to delete and then press the uninstall button.

Buzzler: Only solution I can give you at this time is to delete your dccache folder BUT this will wipe everything you've ever installed via the launcher requiring you track down and reinstall everything. Fairly simple if you still have all your sim3pack files in your downloads folder. If you deleted that folder's contents then it is a tedious grind to manually track everything down from various websites. It a solution of last resort, tread with care.

« Last Edit: 2009 August 16, 09:11:46 by RiceBall » Logged
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 18, 04:01:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The green progress bar is the same as loading the main .exe.

I find this to be true as well - although it hasn't been as bad since I installed patch 1.3.  It used to be where it could take 5 or more tries to install one package, then it would install others on the first try, no problem.  I found no recognizable pattern, and deleting cache's, reinstalling never solved it either.  I just had to keep at it.  Sometimes I think it's just lazy :\

Despite all this, and everything else that makes the installer evil, I actually prefer it at times.  It marks all content installed with it as custom, so I can delete it in game.  Without that, managing my downloads is as confusing as it was with TS1.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 18, 14:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everything you download with the launcher goes into a file located in
C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCCache
It is called dcdb0 (downloaded content database?)
If you delete something from the launcher, this file size does not go down. It will get larger and larger, until your computer goes POP!
I had ninja trousers which i deleted from the launcher. Not only did it keep the space on my computer, but it didn't even remove them from CAS.  Sad
This is a shocking peice of programming from EA. Then you have the two other locations the launcher stores each download also.
These ones don't even do anything.
I deleted my 100mb dcdb0 and used the 3viewer for everything now.
The only thing I had to use launcher for was Riverview, which had the path name problem unless I used it.

So if you really want to use the launcher for sims or lots, you could, if remove your dcdb0, install packs, then put the file back afterwards, overwriting. I do this if I want lots from the exchange, and my dcdb0 stays at 14mb.
But thats a shedload of hassle really, best to use 3viewer.

But thats basically the wrongs of the launcher.
Larku
Corpulent Cretin

Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 August 19, 08:20:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really wish EA didn't try to take the CC and Installing into their own hands.
This launcher is so slow and nothing but trouble.

Currently was trying to clear out the data and reinstall.
3Viewer entirely hates my sims3packs, I removed all of them and tried to use it.
So now I've got to reinstall with the launcher, and it is so frustrating.

Really wish it was like the old days. Just Drag and drop and you were done.
EA has found new ways to piss off users I think...

EDIT: If you find a missing school, please call me. -.-
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn316/Larku91/MissingSchool.jpg
Thats what happen after I reinstalled all the sims3pack after trying to remove things I didn't need.
It said it was installed fine but had a Circle with a line through it anyways.
I tried in hopes that the launcher was being stupid, but thats what happen.
... I wondered why the bus didn't come.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2009 August 19, 08:46:10 by Larku » Logged
saxonspud
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 August 23, 09:43:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm unable to remove custom content(hair) installed into the game via the launcher. The launcher will begin the uninstall process but auto aborts once the green progress bar has partially filled.

Does anyone know of a tool I could use to uninstall the file or any other suggestions? Thanks!

try removing all your mods/hacks and then do it - i had a similar problem a few months back when trying to install stuff and it was the mods interfering with the installer. you can put them back again when done
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: