More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 13:48:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Other Games?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Other Games?  (Read 47553 times)
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
Re: Other Games?
« Reply #50 on: 2005 July 18, 14:29:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a friend who sort of collects games like that. He has two eggo boxes (?) filled with game CDs. He's beaten about 95% of them, as far as I can tell. This is also the friend who tells me I should "play more computer games."
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2005 July 18, 15:52:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My tastes run mostly to simulators and wargames, but I wore out my Diablo 1 disc.  Simulators can include almost anything, from business sims (Capitalism series) to flight sims (at one time I had every flight sim on the market) to tank sims (got my name in Steel Beasts credits, twice!) to others like Microsoft Train Sim.  I've got almost all the Maxis Sim games, excluding Sim Isle and maybe a couple of others.  I've played a few good first person shooters and a couple of RTS games, like Seven Kingdoms.

Mods:  I don't mod games exactly, but I have written some support programs (not working for a company).  I did a map and scenario editor for M1 Tank Platoon 2 which got used in Gunship! later as the files were similar.  I decoded the map files for Sid Meier's Gettysburg that allowed another programmer to write a map editor.  I wrote a random battle generator for Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory and a program to modify the EXE file to fix broken artillery strengths.  The random battle generator was interesting because at one point I told the community that if I got one more DEMAND to add or change a feature, I was gonna delete the source code.  Cleared that problem right up.  Hint:  if you want something changed or added, ask nicely.

Currently I'm playing Silent Hunter 2 (WW2 submarine sim, my computer won't run SH3) and working out methods to use a slide rule to calculate torpedo firing solutions.  I think it's more accurate than using the sub's Angle Solver computer, which requires *way* too many estimated settings on small dials. Smiley

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2005 July 19, 03:18:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not a big fan of Backgammon online. I prefer the real deal, because I'm much better at it in person. As in, I ruthlessly and unmercifully pummel you every single game thanks to my fine physical control. Smiley

What is good about playing online is that you don't have to set up the game yourself everytime. Abit like playing Solitare on the computer. I can never keep those friggin cards in an orderly line when I play non-computer.

Oh dear, again a violent comment *shakes head and walks away*

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2005 July 19, 05:39:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bugger, I typed a long list of games with commentary & accidentally clicked the little red cross at the top right hand side of the page when aiming for top of scroll bar. Page gone. Text gone. Not doing it again. Sad

However I will still post this link to an educational sim I enjoyed. I see it's updated, might have another look. I find this sim relevant because I work in a tertiary institution. Virtual-u. I always thought I could do better than the CEO Tongue

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2005 July 19, 05:43:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't get your page and text back if you simply mash the back button on your browser?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2005 July 19, 05:56:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never been able to get my text back that way.  I've learned to always highlight my text, right click and select Copy before doing anything else.  That way if the message doesn't get posted for whatever reason, I can hit Reply again and paste the text into the input area.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2005 July 19, 06:11:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't get your page and text back if you simply mash the back button on your browser?
No, I'm in firefox & closed the tab. The page in history only gives me the blank reply form, no postdata. Hadn't done a preview yet. I did see data on other reply forms in the history, where I'd actually hit the post button.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2005 July 19, 06:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've learned to always highlight my text, right click and select Copy before doing anything else.
Yeah, I do copy on long posts, I was only going for a scroll this time, hadn't finished typing. The tab close button in firefox is right on top of the scroll bar.

laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2005 July 19, 08:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm... I like playing Tropico. I like being called "Presidente!" Also Majesty and Oregon Trail.

On PS2, I play whatever catches my mood. A lot of Katamari Damacy, some Ribbit King, some Silent Hill (generally 3), and occasionally picking up any Final Fantasy except 8 and 10 to try and beat them, which never lasts since I'm stuck in each one of them at a point where I need to do massive levelling, which I hate. Oh, and Suikoden 2. I love me some cooking game.

On GC... Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Soul Caliber 2.

Mostly RPGs. I'm awful at FPS, sports games, or really action-oriented games. I lack the reflexes.  Cry
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2005 July 19, 12:24:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted by: laylei
Mostly RPGs. I'm awful at FPS, sports games, or really action-oriented games. I lack the reflexes.

I don't lack the reflexes, but I don't seem to be able to shoot and kill, I always hesitate and then get obliterated. I know, I know, shame on me, but I seem to have a strong pacifistic streak in my make-up.

So, Tropico and other RPG's it is for me too. I play Metroid with my daughter, but only because I happen to love her, not the game itself.

After reading through this thread I dug out the atari system a friend gave me. It still works, and I found myself enjoying my trip down memory lane very much indeed. I have to play this more often.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2005 July 19, 12:29:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pah. You do know that RPGs are a derivative of wargames, which are not at all pacifistic or peaceful, right? I think you're just happier when people die as abstract icons on a tactical map, rather than screaming, bleeding heaps of mangled meat in front of you. Like the saying goes, "Kill one, and it is a tragedy. Kill millions, and it is a statistic."

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2005 July 19, 12:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pah. You do know that RPGs are a derivative of wargames, which are not at all pacifistic or peaceful, right? I think you're just happier when people die as abstract icons on a tactical map, rather than screaming, bleeding heaps of mangled meat in front of you. Like the saying goes, "Kill one, and it is a tragedy. Kill millions, and it is a statistic."

Well now, I have not seen any abstract icon death in Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing, but you are right, I have an issue with seeing blood and mangled meat, even if it is only pixelated :P

I've never heard that saying before, but it warrants further thought indeed. You are a fountain of information JM.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2005 July 19, 12:37:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, you really need to get used to the entire blood and entrails thing. Once you're used to the idea, it's actually quite viscerally satisfying and enjoyable. Try it sometime: bathe in their blood and wade in their entrails!

LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 2005 July 19, 14:09:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooh, I love "girl games" LOL.  Ya know, the boring point and click adventures.... Longest Journey (NOT BORING!), Syberia, etc.  Story games, really.  I also loved No One Lives Forever and the Matrix game (which I actually played on a console).  I think I'd like Max Payne and Tomb Raider too if I had the time.

No One Lives Forever is good.  I just got Contract JACK at some stupid outlet place in Nebraska City (I hate Nebraska City more than Topeka) for $9.  You can't beat that with a crowbar.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2005 July 19, 14:34:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Tropico and its expansion. I don't like Tropico 2 as much.

Adventures like Syberia, TLJ, Myst, are awesome. Which is why it is a huge shame TLJ2 will be an action/adventure.

The NOLF series is brilliant. I want a NOLF3 today.

Max Payne is also very good. I am looking forward to their new game.

GTA:San Andreas can be nice for a little while as well, although I really hate some of the missions.

Prince of Persia is also very good.

And then there are the awesomely addictive history simulations by Paradox: I am now playing Victoria. My Netherlands is kicking the entire world's butt, and the USA are my hunting ground.
GrannyDyke
« Reply #65 on: 2005 July 23, 05:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only Santa Clause goes down chimneys.  Grin

And Maxis is trying to make me update my video card.  HA!
Pingpong
« Reply #66 on: 2005 July 24, 21:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Besides Sims2, the other game i'm playing at the moment is Microsoft Freelancer MultiPlayer.  I'm playing the Asgard Mod v3.

Ooooh! Really? I'm playing Freelancer at the moment with my own mod, where i added pacific island and australian systems. And I only usually go on the Eagle Utopia server on Multiplayer.
I never thought i'd find another Freelancer fan!
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2005 July 25, 01:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fact that I have Sims 2 is rather amazing. I am a console person. I have a lot of consoles and games for them (NES, SNES, N64, GCN, PS2, PSOne, Dreamcast, a ton of Gameboys, including DS). My favorite games include Megaman Legends 1 and 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart, Paper Mario 1 and 2, Animal Crossing, the Zelda games, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong Country games, StarFox, and a hell of a lot more.

However, I just recently bought the Sims 1. I don't like it as much as the Sims 2, however.
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2005 July 25, 02:00:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any console type thingies anymore - I think N64 was the last thing I bought, and I gave it away to my sister.

I only play Sims on my computer, except if I need a break, I'll go play a point and click adventure type thing like MOTAS or whatever. Or play on popcap.com.

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 2005 July 25, 23:00:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I already posted way up there, but I should add that I'm playing FF7 again, I've lost count of the number of times I've played through it but it's nice to go back to it because of all those cute sub-games.  Heck, the snowboarding alone kept me and my brother entertained for ages back when we first played it.

'Yeah, I'll get round to saving the Planet.... just as soon as I shave another second off the record time!'

DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2005 July 26, 01:35:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Kill one, and it is a tragedy. Kill millions, and it is a statistic."

If I remember correctly this is by Iosif Vissarionovich Djugashivili / J.Stalin of good old Soviet Russia?  Grin
I've taken a fancy to Starcraft recently but I've all but given up; it gets awfully repetitive after a while.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2005 July 26, 02:04:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims, chess and mahjong are the only games I play on the puter. The rest are PS2 and kid friendly. I play racing games like Need for Speed (1&2), ATV (something or another), WRC, all the Jax and Daxter games and my all time favorite is Ratchet & Clank (1&2) mostly because I like to break stuff.

I used to like the Bond games but I played through those too quickly and got bored with the series. I have a bunch of other games for PS2 but I don't recall all the titles, I generally trade them in as soon as I play through them a few times except R&C and my racing games. I tried Grand Tourismo but after Need for Speed it was way too slow and gave up on that series as well. NFS2 was a disappointment though, especially the final race.

I like games, its what I do instead of watch the tube, that and read. But gaming is a fun activity to play with the better half of me, well actually mostly she watches and I play but who's counting?
fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2005 July 26, 13:18:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to play Sim City, right up until Sims 1 came out.
Then I played Sims 1 right up until Sims 2 came out.

See the pattern here? Although I have flirted with other games in the past, most notably Civ 2, but the novelty always wore off, and I went back to my Sims.

I think it's just that when I'm being a power-hungry Bitch Goddess,  I like to be right up close and personal to my game.   Slaughtering the masses isn't as half as much fun as ruining a Sim's day by dropping a satellite on his head. Grin
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2005 July 26, 14:28:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there's that. Like the saying goes, "When you kill one, it is a tragedy. When you kill a million, it is a statistic."

Then again, there's something to be said for mass carnage, too: "Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god!"

bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2005 July 26, 16:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oh i play lots of pc games!! haha, even though i'm a girl, i play warcraft3, diablo, final fantasy 4-8, and those old atari games! i think i'm the 1st of my friends to even play computer games haha...currently the sims2 is on my mind all the time :p

Our Creator was bored. Our Creator made humans. Our Creator loves Sims 2!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: