More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 20:47:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Supreme Commander
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Supreme Commander  (Read 32116 times)
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
Re: Supreme Commander
« Reply #25 on: 2009 July 20, 19:59:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@coconnor,
So, what was the actual cause of your issues? 

It seems that the laptop was just running too hot.  Can't be certain; however, issues have stopped for now at least.

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 July 20, 22:12:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@coconnor,
So, what was the actual cause of your issues? 

It seems that the laptop was just running too hot.  Can't be certain; however, issues have stopped for now at least.

Cool, what have you done to curb the heat problems?  I'm just curious. I don't own a laptop for gaming, just a MacBook for doing everyday stuff so I rarely push it enough to overheat it. Just interested in what steps you took to cool it down since it seemed to "resolve" your issue to the best of your knowledge.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 July 21, 02:30:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Leticron suggested that heat seemed to be an issue after looking at a report produced by a program called HWMonitor (which I opened and ran before playing the game).  He gave me some suggestions, one of which was to clean the heatsink.  I have done this in the past on a desktop (a lot more room in those), but on a laptop I didn't know where to start.  So, I went to the manufacturer's website and found the information I needed for my particular machine and then followed the directions.  Hopefully will not have to do that again any time soon!  The heatsink & fan are hard to get at.

I had previously purchased and installed additional RAM to it though, which involved removing the keyboard since one module is installed under that; and then opened the back to install the other, but this seemed more tedious and involved.

Thought about taking it to "The Geek Squad" for a few minutes ... then decided I would try it myself.

JBoat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 July 21, 04:33:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get a high quality (i.e. expensive) laptop cradle/base with some decent fans on it to cool those laptops!  They were never meant for extended gaming in the first place, and sitting on a flat desk or in a warm room is just asking for trouble.  Smiley

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 July 21, 04:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get a high quality (i.e. expensive) laptop cradle/base with some decent fans on it to cool those laptops!  They were never meant for extended gaming in the first place, and sitting on a flat desk or in a warm room is just asking for trouble.  Smiley

Any in particular you would recommend?  I have actually been trying to find one of these for some time, but every one I know of currently has bad reviews, mostly related to the durability and effectiveness of the fan units.

JBoat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 July 21, 05:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just picked one up for a client (a non-gamer), which is made by Belkin.  It ran around $25-30 if I recall, was powered by a USB cable (so you could roam with it in your lap), and had a fairly large fan.  It of course wasn't a really good one, like a gamer might need when they push their system.  I don't personally game on laptops, so it's hard for me to recommend one.  But *any* laptop base with cooling is an improvement over nothing.

Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 July 21, 19:17:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have just recently gotten my first laptop and after seeing the issues my sisters had on theirs with fan coolers, I ended up getting this heat pad with crystals in it that absorb the heat and turn to gel, then turn back to crystals when they cool. So far I haven't noticed any slowing issues but I think elevating it off the desk might be a good idea too because I'm sure at some point it will get so hot it can't absorb any more. I don't use it on my lap for this reason, so it won't absorb body heat, but I'm not sure if a fan is actually a better idea or not. Don't want to ruin it...
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 July 22, 01:03:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just picked one up for a client (a non-gamer), which is made by Belkin.  It ran around $25-30 if I recall, was powered by a USB cable (so you could roam with it in your lap), and had a fairly large fan.  It of course wasn't a really good one, like a gamer might need when they push their system.  I don't personally game on laptops, so it's hard for me to recommend one.  But *any* laptop base with cooling is an improvement over nothing.

Yes, I've seen that one.  The reviews tend to claim that the fan breaks almost immediately.  I will keep looking, and hopefully find something soon that works well.
I have just recently gotten my first laptop and after seeing the issues my sisters had on theirs with fan coolers, I ended up getting this heat pad with crystals in it that absorb the heat and turn to gel, then turn back to crystals when they cool. So far I haven't noticed any slowing issues but I think elevating it off the desk might be a good idea too because I'm sure at some point it will get so hot it can't absorb any more. I don't use it on my lap for this reason, so it won't absorb body heat, but I'm not sure if a fan is actually a better idea or not. Don't want to ruin it...

Yes, I've read about these, too, and it seemed like it might be a good option except I tend to use the laptop mostly when I'm sitting up in bed.  That kind of defeats the purpose since it would also have to absorb the heat from either my lap or the blankets.

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 July 23, 06:11:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Belkin lap-fan-thing, it's been working and I've had it for months.

INFP or something
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 July 23, 06:35:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cool, what have you done to curb the heat problems?  I'm just curious. I don't own a laptop for gaming, just a MacBook for doing everyday stuff so I rarely push it enough to overheat it. Just interested in what steps you took to cool it down since it seemed to "resolve" your issue to the best of your knowledge.

Just a side note-- in addition to getting a laptop cooler, download smcFanControl if you haven't already. I use it on my macbook, and it helps you control the temperature and fan speed of your mac.

I sing along with elevator music.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 July 23, 08:06:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Belkin lap-fan-thing, it's been working and I've had it for months.
Thanks for the information!  Good to know.  I may just go get one since I have been unable to find anything else yet.

Just a side note-- in addition to getting a laptop cooler, download smcFanControl if you haven't already. I use it on my macbook, and it helps you control the temperature and fan speed of your mac.
I have a Dell 1720 laptop running Windows Vista and from what I can see, SMC Fan Control is only for MAC's.  I have downloaded another program and am trying it.  It is called Speed Fan.  We'll see how that works.  Thanks for the information!

uncle
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 July 23, 08:39:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a belkin for my Dell Inspiron 1525 (which means i can't see who is fat, preggers or muscular! rrGHHH!) I go one step further and prop up the laptop so there are 2 levels of space involved. And I have a room fan nearby that is usually on.

It is still very hot - I assuming the graphics card is in the vicinity of the touch pad, as that is where things get the hottest. As I am computer from a laying on my side position for 99% of the lat few months, even if i had a desktop, it wouldn't be an option for me.

I have also thought of cold packs (the kind one puts in the freezer, to use in picnic coolers, body parts, etc) put underneath the offending area, but manage to keep things on a tight rope.

My laptop started to get very hot a few after i got it last summer - and I wasn't using a high demand on my laptop. It did start getting worse playing Sims Life Stories,

Love to hear what people have done to try to rectify the situation!

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 July 23, 11:37:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How have you found the program to work on your laptop? I want to tried everything and everything to make sure I don't have a melted pile of goo!

I knew my way around a desktop to build back in the day, but not about laptops, but I am thinking perhaps to trying to get a better card that won't overheat so readily would be difficult?

Am anxious to hear about your results!
I only downloaded and installed this program earlier today, but it appears to work pretty well.  It is a free download and here is the link:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

My laptop (according to this program) appears to have 3 fans.  If you are thinking about replacing anything in your laptop (you said it is a Dell 1535) you can go to their website, put in the Service Tag and they will show you the configuration as originally shipped.  You can then see suggested upgrades to the original configuration (including video cards, if applicable).  Even if you don't buy it from them, at least it will give you a starting point from which to do some research.

uncle
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 July 23, 19:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have just opened the tab to dl. Dell will be next on the list! Thanks a bunch for the tip!

[/quote]
I only downloaded and installed this program earlier today, but it appears to work pretty well.  It is a free download and here is the link:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

My laptop (according to this program) appears to have 3 fans.  If you are thinking about replacing anything in your laptop (you said it is a Dell 1535) you can go to their website, put in the Service Tag and they will show you the configuration as originally shipped.  You can then see suggested upgrades to the original configuration (including video cards, if applicable).  Even if you don't buy it from them, at least it will give you a starting point from which to do some research.
[/quote]
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 July 23, 22:07:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have just opened the tab to dl. Dell will be next on the list! Thanks a bunch for the tip!
You're welcome.  Hope it works out.  

I went to a couple of stores in my area this afternoon, and ended up buying a laptop chill pad made by a company called Xbrand (never heard of them before).  I also saw the Belkin and an Antec which which were both too small for the 17" laptop.  

Anyway, I brought it home, put the laptop on it and turned on the Speed Fan program and now everything beside the video card fan (GPU) has blue down arrows on them.  I don't think it is possible for it to be too cold for the laptop, but in case anyone reads this that is tech saavy, I'd feel better with some verification.  I know from work though that computer equipment (mainframes & servers, etc.) are typically kept in very cold rooms, so I'm not really too concerned.  I've attached the print report from the HW Monitor program for verification.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

* HWMonitor.txt (19.25 KB - downloaded 392 times.)

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 July 23, 22:55:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bought the belkin for a smaller laptop, but I've found my boyfriend's rather large computer (he thinks it's 17" but I don't feel like verifying) can sit on top of it; the edges aren't at the edge of his computer, but it lifts it up so the air current can move under it, and the way it's curved, the moving air can continue to flow under the rest of the computer. I'm sure there are better solutions but the main issue he has is that even under normal circumstances, running Vista makes it eventually too hot to sit on his lap properly without the fan.

INFP or something
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 July 23, 23:30:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bought the belkin for a smaller laptop, but I've found my boyfriend's rather large computer (he thinks it's 17" but I don't feel like verifying) can sit on top of it; the edges aren't at the edge of his computer, but it lifts it up so the air current can move under it, and the way it's curved, the moving air can continue to flow under the rest of the computer. I'm sure there are better solutions but the main issue he has is that even under normal circumstances, running Vista makes it eventually too hot to sit on his lap properly without the fan.
Yes, I figured that, but I mainly use the laptop when I'm sitting on the couch or on my bed so I didn't want to chance it sliding off.  This one can either be flat or raised up to create more airflow and has a piece in front where the laptop actually engages, so it seemed like a better option.  It was $40 in BJ's Wholesale Warehouse, so it was a little more expensive, but I'd rather spend ten more dollars than have the laptop slipping off.  That would be "a very bad thing"!  So far, so good.  Hope it lasts!

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 July 23, 23:34:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very true. To be fair, I got mine from Best Buy's going out of business sale for like, $15, so for that I'm more than pleased with the results.

INFP or something
BrokenRobot
Dimwitted Dunce

sekrit Republican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2009 July 25, 16:34:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stay away from the Targus ones you see everywhere.  I replaced the cable twice in 6 months.  They really are as bad as the reviews say.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 July 25, 16:55:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Dell 1720 laptop running Windows Vista and from what I can see, SMC Fan Control is only for MAC's.  I have downloaded another program and am trying it.  It is called Speed Fan.  We'll see how that works.  Thanks for the information!

AFAIK, SMC is a mac-only application-- I was responding to OpiumGirl since she referenced her macbook. However, it's very handy, so if there is a windows-equivalent it's definitely a good idea to give it a shot.

I sing along with elevator music.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 July 26, 13:10:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a note for mac laptop users:

- if you use something like SMC fan control, take care not to bump up the fan speeds TOO much -- that'll only wear out your fans while having no positive effect (there's no point in running the fans at 4000rpm while the temp is still low). Worn-out fans can be 1. loud and annoying and 2. expensive to replace.

- make sure you're up to date with system updates. At least for my MBP there was a firmware update this April or May that reconfigured the fans; I believe they kick in earlier since then. This may make third-party apps obsolete. The temperature on my MBP is stable; I only started to monitor it after that update so I can't compare but it definitely doesn't hurt.

- in my experience, AppleCare is almost guaranteed to pay off, particularly with laptops. Also, again in my experience, Apple don't ask questions -- "normal" insurances will often try every way they can to wiggle out of payments for repairs. In that context, it may become a problem to have a broken fan and a 3rd party fan control app installed.
TizRus
Asinine Airhead

Free to Be Me

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010 February 18, 01:16:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's been like 2 months since I played TS3. I have the updated Awesome Mod, but I can't remember how to enable the Supreme Commander. Any help would be great Smiley
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010 February 18, 02:38:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's been like 2 months since I played TS3. I have the updated Awesome Mod, but I can't remember how to enable the Supreme Commander. Any help would be great Smiley

Why the fuck did you perform necromancy on this thread?

The stupid threshold has reached critical mass! Brain explosions imminent!
TizRus
Asinine Airhead

Free to Be Me

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010 February 18, 03:18:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why don't kiss my ass and speak english, fool.
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010 February 18, 05:09:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you not know what necromancy means?  Raising things from the dead.  Threads are dead after a month and the last time anyone posted in this was back in July.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: