More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:23:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Supreme Commander
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Supreme Commander  (Read 31862 times)
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
Supreme Commander
« on: 2009 July 15, 07:44:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been playing with AwesomeMod installed for some time now and really like it.  In the past couple of days, I decided to enable the Supreme Commander function, and I love it for the ability to track my Sims.  I am playing a legacy style family which has now branched off into five separate households.  I had been experiencing the missing school/work syndrome, and enabling Supreme Commander did indeed help with that issue since I was able to see where they were at all times.  

However, enabling this option also caused some Error 12 save failures, extremely long save times when successful; and now I find that when I am playing I will get stuck often (inability to switch from the active Sim, or perform any action at all, and this has caused me to have to shut down the game via Task Manager).  I really find Supreme Commander valuable in tracking all of the Sims involved in this family, but obviously it is maddening to have to quit the game in this manner, thereby losing all play leading up to it.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?  Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks to Pescado for all the work and effort he is putting into this, to make the game more enjoyable for all of us.  Thanks to all of you who are "more awesome than me" ... I've been lurking and learning.

« Last Edit: 2009 July 15, 07:57:41 by coconnor » Logged

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Supreme Commander
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 15, 08:08:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never encountered the error-12 failures as linked to the current version of Supreme Commander, and I play a rather loaded neighborhood, so not a clue. Given that I am tracking the entire neighborhood this way, of maybe two dozen sims, it's hard to say these two are really related issues. Are you certain that you are using the latest version?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 15, 08:13:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do have the most recent update of AwesomeMod installed.  I keep updating it as I see you post them.  Any guidance on the other issues?

Thanks for your response!

Just went to check on the time of the currently installed version.  Updated twice yesterday - last one says 6:25 pm (this may be my time - EST).  I'm in the U.S.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 15, 08:22:00 by coconnor » Logged

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2009 July 15, 08:26:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been playing with AwesomeMod installed for some time now and really like it.  In the past couple of days, I decided to enable the Supreme Commander function, and I love it for the ability to track my Sims.  I am playing a legacy style family which has now branched off into five separate households.  I had been experiencing the missing school/work syndrome, and enabling Supreme Commander did indeed help with that issue since I was able to see where they were at all times.  

However, enabling this option also caused some Error 12 save failures, extremely long save times when successful; and now I find that when I am playing I will get stuck often (inability to switch from the active Sim, or perform any action at all, and this has caused me to have to shut down the game via Task Manager).  I really find Supreme Commander valuable in tracking all of the Sims involved in this family, but obviously it is maddening to have to quit the game in this manner, thereby losing all play leading up to it.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?  Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks to Pescado for all the work and effort he is putting into this, to make the game more enjoyable for all of us.  Thanks to all of you who are "more awesome than me" ... I've been lurking and learning.

Check the thread below this one in regard to save game issues.

Error 12 is completely random and you get it without AM or SupComm and has been reported since the game was leaked, before AM was around.  For me it usually starts when the save games start getting bigger, such as having a large household with lots of objects. Once you start getting it, it seems to keep showing up unfortunately.

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 July 15, 08:36:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Anach!  I just thought it might be related to having enabled Supreme Commander, since the long save times and freezing (forcing me to quit the game via Task Manager) only started when I enabled that option.  And I really hope it can be resolved so that I can continue to use it.  The legacy family home is large and does have a lot of content.  Also, one of the daughters married Mortimer Goth and so that house is also (slightly redone) active in the game.

Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 15, 17:25:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another player on another forum I frequent has been having the long save issues without any mods installed. She discovered that disconnecting her game from the internet before playing seems to stop the 20 minute saves from happening instead reducing to 1 minute.

Does your computer have access to the internet when you are playing?

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 15, 18:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it's a laptop with a wireless connection.  I'll try disabling ithe next time I play to see if it helps.  (I am running a store-bought game, with the disable CD check through AwesomeMod so as not to have the DVD drive interaction.)  Thanks for the info!  I hope this helps.

But, the more problematic issue I'm facing is the freezing ... where I cannot do anything and I am forced to shut it down via Task Manager.  It happens pretty much every time I play now.  I'm extremely frustrated, to say the least!  I'm starting the heat monitor program from Mod The Sims before playing to check that it's not a heat issue and I've updated my video driver for the second time.

Don't know what else to do.

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 15, 20:12:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I tried the suggestion to disconnect from the Internet to see if that helped on the save time, but unfortunately the game once again froze and I had to use Task Manager to shut down the process.  I have three files, one generated by the HWMonitor application suggested to people on Mod the Sims to monitor temperatures; and two others pointed out in Windows Problem Reporting, one a text file which I have attached, below, and the other is a file called TS3.exe.xml, which cannot be attached.  If anyone with knowledge of these issues (obviously a lot more awesome than me) has the time to take a look at these files, and can offer any suggestions on what might be going wrong here, I would really appreciate it.  (Have also attached the entire DxDiag file from earlier today.)

My computer does, in fact, seem warmer than it should be and I certainly don't want to destroy it with this game.  This is crazy.

Thanks again, everyone!
« Last Edit: 2009 July 16, 01:03:53 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

JBoat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 15, 23:12:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just chiming in here with some information - I run on a wireless connection on my workstation (tuned well with extra antennas for base and card), and never disconnect during TS3 gameplay.  I never have the save slowdowns you describe either.  I have a hard time believing that the internet connection is somehow responsible for delays in pushing data to disk.

Leticron
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 16, 01:09:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@coconner your temperature seems a bit high (even though specs for your CPU claim operation temperatures between 0 and 100C as normal)
You might pay attention, not to block the bottom slots for air circulation (put it on a flat surfaces rather than, say a blanket etc.)
Depending on age of the notebook and the environment in which its operated (esp. in areas with cats or bunnies) there might be already some dust buildup in the heatsink which needs attention sooner or later.

-le
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 16, 02:40:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks to both Leticron and JBoat for information, below.  Even when it does not immediately solve your problem, I always find the information here at MATY is a pleasure and a learning experience, and these are both good in my book.  Used to think I was pretty good at computer stuff ... have some friends that think "I know so much" ... but lurking here makes it apparent this is not quite the case.  I find it fascinating, actually, to see what you all accomplish and know.  I believe their perception of my technical proficiency stems more from knowing how to use Office applications and being able to troubleshoot general problems, like spyware, internet connections and obvious lacks; but certainly not the more technical aspects.  And, I am certainly not in the "awesome" category when it comes to the modding that I see Pescado perform, or any of the other modders we have, for that matter.  I have great respect for all of you.  Since they have made it rather easy to recolor what already exists in the game, I can do that, but meshing is another concept that I have never had the time nor technical proficiency to really even contemplate.  I didn't think this could be about the Internet connection either, but since I seem to be unable to get past the "freeze" problem, can't tell for certain.

I do think, at this point, that the problem is stemming from the heat issue, and also, most likely, because I have been trying to use the Supreme Commander to track what is currently 19 Sims (6 children stemming from the legacy family plus marriage partners, immediate family members (Mortimer Goth's mother) and spawn of said unions.  Additionally, the rather large legacy house used to contain the original family (two adults and six children), in addition to the Goth house which one of the daughters married into.  And, I am too controlling, and hands on with all of them.  Can't be homeless, can't be jobless, must progress, etc.

Thanks to all for your help with this issue.  Hope to be able to resolve it without having to "begin again".  Monsieur Pescado, I certainly did not mean to imply that this was caused by Supreme Commander (which I love by the way, when having to deal with all these Sims), but rather wondered whether it was possible that I was doing something obviously wrong, being that it began when I enabled that option.  Hope you don't mind if I ask for advice in reinstalling or whatever I have to do to resolve this.  Have already backed up game files.  And, I think I will make it a point to have them live less "lavishly" going forward.  

« Last Edit: 2009 July 16, 02:57:37 by coconnor » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 16, 02:43:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Naw, your control freakery has nothing on mine. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 16, 03:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Pescado.  I really appreciate that ... especially coming from you.  Had a feeling that was, indeed, the case.

On another note, I find I am also having to learn the "internet lingo" you guys use throughout your posts.  I sometimes have to go the online "Urban Dictionary" to figure out what you mean.  And. sometimes even that is rather obscure!  I am feeling distinctly "non-awesome".  But, I thank God that I seem to have found people I can learn from.  That sometimes seems (at least) to be a very rare commodity these days.

And, quite amusingly, earlier today, I found that I went from being a "Tasty Tourist" to an "Asinine Airhead".  Although I cannot find the place on the site that defines at what post you progress to the next level, I did find it rather amusing.  What will I become next?

I am, however, very glad that I was not assassinated by the "Grammar Police".  I lurked for a long time before posting, having seen what happens to some people.  I think you are all wonderful.  I like being part of this.  THANK YOU!
« Last Edit: 2009 July 16, 03:30:28 by coconnor » Logged

chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 July 16, 03:57:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Grammar Police may not have gotten you (yet), but somebody else will, if you don't stop with the ass kissing. I'm just sayin'.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 July 16, 04:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry to offend.  Didn't think of it as ass-kissing.  Just giving credit where credit is due.

cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2009 July 16, 11:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am, however, very glad that I was not assassinated by the "Grammar Police".  I lurked for a long time before posting, having seen what happens to some people.  I think you are all wonderful.  I like being part of this.  THANK YOU!

All that lurking and you still triple posted? There is an edit button for a reason.

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 July 17, 22:25:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am, however, very glad that I was not assassinated by the "Grammar Police".  I lurked for a long time before posting, having seen what happens to some people.  I think you are all wonderful.  I like being part of this.  THANK YOU!

All that lurking and you still triple posted? There is an edit button for a reason.

Will do better next time.  Actually, I have never posted on Internet forums before so, I am not used to the format.  Have found and read the FAQS.  Will certainly try to improve.

Larku
Corpulent Cretin

Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 July 19, 20:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I asked this in another forum if it was possible, They told me to ask here.

My question is, is there anyway that Just the Supreme Commander Could be mixed with Indie's Story progression?

I prefer the Indie mod, But I've heard the Supreme Commander is quite useful.
If there is any possible way that it could be done. I'd be most grateful.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 July 19, 21:00:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I asked this in another forum if it was possible, They told me to ask here.

My question is, is there anyway that Just the Supreme Commander Could be mixed with Indie's Story progression?

I prefer the Indie mod, But I've heard the Supreme Commander is quite useful.
If there is any possible way that it could be done. I'd be most grateful.

Whoever sent you here is not keeping up on the news. Tongue

Many people have asked. It is being worked on but apparently the Indie people were busy with rl and had not been able to get Pescado the info he needed to make the two mods play nice. I believe something should be coming along relatively soon though last I heard. For the time being you just have to decide between one or the other though.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Larku
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 July 19, 21:06:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, It happens.

I'm Glad to hear that though!
I'll try to keep my ears open for any word of it getting done.
The places I lurk tend to be slow on this kind of information.
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 July 19, 23:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the other site wasn't slow in getting the information on the AM and Supreme Commander. You asked at that site to have it modified. And we said no because for:

1. Permission would have to be gotten to modify the mod. I don't think Pescado likes that, but I could be wrong.
2. The mod wasn't hosted at that other site.

You were told that it is best to ask here to see about Supreme Commander being a separate mod or being redesigned or made to work with Indie Stone's mod.

It is just a matter of respect and courtesy to ask the creator, not another modder, if he or she can fulfill the request or not.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Larku
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 July 20, 00:15:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't say that site was slow, I said The Places I "Lurk" are slow.

I mostly hang around SS and such, they don't update so much on mods.
So please don't assume I meant that Site.

I'll try not to ask for things in Requests so much.
Simply was curious if such a thing was possible, not that it had to be done by them.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 July 20, 01:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1. Permission would have to be gotten to modify the mod. I don't think Pescado likes that, but I could be wrong.
You're wrong. Tongue Awesomeware is distributed under a usage policy of "Meh.". My overwhelming indifference, apathy, and not-caring-itude simply leaves me no time or energy to care what people do with it afterwards. They're the ones who are going to have to keep repatching when I fix it.

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 July 20, 01:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Naw, your control freakery has nothing on mine. Tongue

Update:  Thanks to all that assisted me earlier in this post.  I am glad to report that it seems to be working well now.  All seems to work as planned and I'm happy with AwesomeMod and Supreme Commander.  Will keep watching for further updates.  I can be a control freak once more!

Larku - Pescado has been working with the Indie Stone modders on a compatibility link between AwesomeMod and the Indie Stone mod, which, in fact they are testing right now.  Shouldn't be long.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 20, 02:53:33 by coconnor » Logged

OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 July 20, 19:38:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@coconnor,
So, what was the actual cause of your issues? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: