More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 01:05:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  The Legacy Challenge for TS3
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Legacy Challenge for TS3  (Read 133417 times)
Pinstar
Blathering Buffoon

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

View Profile WWW
Re: The Legacy Challenge for TS3
« Reply #125 on: 2009 June 27, 02:50:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds good to me. There should be some non-rich sims in both neighborhoods as they default. Two million is achievable but not extremely easy to reach. For your standard BBS-type audience, that should be quite hard.

How about portraits? Are you thinking about capping those? I already have seven points from portraits and my 2nd gen heir hasn't become an adult yet (just one more day).

I think I'll go as far as the "must grow sim up from infant to YA" rule to prevent people from pumping out babies, painting them and moving them out.
Combined with the "no birthday cake until 1 day to go" rule to prevent rapid-aging. If you put in the effort to raise that many kids, you deserve the extra portrait points. My Legacy family's 2nd gen has 5 kids, partially for the portrait points, and partially because the founder's wife had the "surrounded by family" LTW.

What kind of Legacy will YOU leave?
funkilla
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2009 June 27, 03:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Two questions: 1. Are identical twins possible? I doubt it, seeing that they don't tell you that you have two babies on the way,only a recurring naming box indicates this occurrence, but I wanted to be sure.
2. Has anyone else noticed that a crying or singing baby will awaken anyone aged child or older in the same room but other babies right next to them continue sleeping sometimes? It doesn't make sense. Sometimes the babies will get a rude awakening moodlet but other times they sleep like nothing has happened.

1. Yes, its possible. Not sure if its just for family-oriented Sims or all (I've only played my test family), but there's a moodlet that lasts for 24 hours about "Congrats! New Baby!" In the case of twins, it shows a "2" in the corner, indictating that two children were born at the time, thus making them twins. Identical, my only set was. I had to change their hairstyles and clothes to tell them apart. Could be just random genetics, and my game is nowhere near played enough for me to say all twins are identical, but the only pair of twins I've had were identical.

2. Baby doesn't care. What's it going to? Get up and coo the other crying baby back to sleep? The only motives that induce a crying baby is energy (solved by being in crib), hunger, social, and hygiene. Crying Baby 1 may wake sleeping baby 2 to give it the "rude awakening" but that its in crib to begin with negates the energy motive. Crying Baby 1 doesn't cause a drop in hunger, social, or hygiene to Sleeping Baby 2, so there's no reason for Sleeping Baby 2 to become Crying Baby 2. Sleeping Baby 2 (as well as toddlers) can't get out of crib, and the sleeping pattern for toddlers is the same for babies - if the energy is low enough, they sleep no matter what in the crib. Children and older have different sleeping patterns that allows them to get out of the bed autonomously.
SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2009 June 27, 03:33:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1. Yes, its possible. Not sure if its just for family-oriented Sims or all (I've only played my test family), but there's a moodlet that lasts for 24 hours about "Congrats! New Baby!" In the case of twins, it shows a "2" in the corner, indictating that two children were born at the time, thus making them twins. Identical, my only set was. I had to change their hairstyles and clothes to tell them apart. Could be just random genetics, and my game is nowhere near played enough for me to say all twins are identical, but the only pair of twins I've had were identical.

I've never had identical twins.  My 1st generation legacy has 2 sets of twins.  The first set one has his mother's blonde with lighter blonde tips hair and the other has random brown.  With the second set one has the blonde and the other has her daddy's red.
Zouflain
Blathering Buffoon

"Who set all these labmonkeys free?!"

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2009 June 27, 04:26:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always saw the legacy challenge threads and was interested, but it felt a little limited within the bounds of TS2, if only in that the townies were fairly static and CAS sims were banned.  With TS3, I've been interested, but I've yet to actually devote any time to it because of the lingering ban on CAS, to be honest.  EA sims are Fuglier than all belief, and the gene pool is far too polluted with monstrous characteristics for me to get all that attached to a single family of them.  Is there any way to work around the fugly problem?

I understand the rule about CAS banning - in this way, you cannot create say, neat/natural cook sims to have a free servant for the family at every generation - but what about CAS Sims with randomized traits/wants?  Really, only the appearance matters to me.  Someone about halfway through the thread asked if "editsim" was a legitimate work around, but I didn't see any replies to it.  What about using the two "replaced" neighborhoods available on MATY that have the EA fuglies replaced?  It's possible that I'm missing the point of the ban entirely, but I'm sure there must be some middle ground.
funkilla
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2009 June 27, 05:16:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had identical twins.  My 1st generation legacy has 2 sets of twins.  The first set one has his mother's blonde with lighter blonde tips hair and the other has random brown.  With the second set one has the blonde and the other has her daddy's red.

My first gen had 5 kids - the first has blonde hair like mom, second has brown hair like dad, third has blonde hair like mom, and the last two (twins) both has dad's brown hair. I'm guessing with the way genetics works, the possibility of both babies rolling the same trait for hair is there. I'm not a modder or programmer, so I can't confirm exactly how genetics in the Sims 3 works, but yes - if genetics is based on a blending or rolling of genetic traits from both parents, it is possible for each baby to roll the same trait as the other.

I suppose you could almost guarantee identicals if the parents looked alike. Less diversity in the gene pool.
MasterDinadan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2009 June 27, 06:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds good to me. There should be some non-rich sims in both neighborhoods as they default. Two million is achievable but not extremely easy to reach. For your standard BBS-type audience, that should be quite hard.

How about portraits? Are you thinking about capping those? I already have seven points from portraits and my 2nd gen heir hasn't become an adult yet (just one more day).

I think I'll go as far as the "must grow sim up from infant to YA" rule to prevent people from pumping out babies, painting them and moving them out.
Combined with the "no birthday cake until 1 day to go" rule to prevent rapid-aging. If you put in the effort to raise that many kids, you deserve the extra portrait points. My Legacy family's 2nd gen has 5 kids, partially for the portrait points, and partially because the founder's wife had the "surrounded by family" LTW.

It's still possible to move a sim in, make a baby with it (thus making the mate eligible to score), painting a portrait of the mate, and then moving the mate out with the baby.  The baby is still part of the bloodline, so it's parent's portrait is worth points even if neither the baby nor the parent stuck around.
This isn't as easy as just popping out babies and painting them, but is still by far the easiest way to earn points.  Frankly, I've always thought the portrait points were kind of stupid.  Why should something that takes practically no effort reward you as much as fulfilling a LTW or earning 100k happiness?
jaccirocker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2009 June 27, 07:21:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I decided to change the legacy around a bit. Mostly to make it harder for me but also to incorporate the uniqueness of the TS3. Also the huge lot is causing my game to lag horribly and I'm getting to the point where I don't want to play.

I decided to post it for anyone who is interested. Feel free to make suggestions and ask questions. But if it isn't mentioned specifically then I'd go with the original rules.

Amendments to legacy.

You may use any life span but if you are going to use long/epic life span.you must use ashkitty's preg mod.
Long = 9 Day pregnancy
Epic = 30 Day pregnancy
The only caveat is that time length cannot be changed once legacy starts.

You must start in a fresh unplayed file and with a brand new Sim. All random traits must be chosen from the start of legacy /w the exception of 2nd generation onward may carry one 1 of the founder's traits as a family trait. You may choose to deleteallhumans if you like.

Founder may move into any empty lot as long you have $200 or less at end of the first day. Also you may not change lots for the duration of the challenge.

Parents must be married before child is able to be considered an heir (ess).
The exception to this rule is if the couple is same sex. They may have the child by a donor (lesbian) or surrogate (gay). However they must still marry the partner and the child must be raised in the home. Also the child must be genetically linked to founder.

Also in order be considered heir player must be able to select a trait at each life stage. (Even though it must be rolled)

You may create Sims to be assimilated into family but their traits/LTW must be random as well (Only 1 roll). You must move them in lots that are already occupied but not the family's; they must not have a job or any skills when moved in. Your sim can meet and marry these created Sims. However for each generation that uses this "perk" the next two can not. For example if you do use a created sim for Gen 1 you can't use it again until Gen 4.

Lastly, I threw out scoring for me because I really don't care about the score I just wanted a challenge.  

« Last Edit: 2009 June 27, 08:03:13 by jaccirocker » Logged

BakingtheArt
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2009 June 27, 07:59:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I'm playing without scoring or the rich sim restrictions. I don't really care for the scoring part of the set games, just the fun role-playing part. Even if I am roleplaying a homeless Casanova who has impregnated most sims in town. What, it was fun. Cheesy
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2009 June 27, 08:15:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, jaci"rocker", you just essentially plagiarized Pinstar's weaksauce challenge, but without the points? How ironic. I am not seeing any point(s).

Aquilegia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: 2009 June 27, 09:59:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jaccirocker, is there any particular reason a genetic donor has to be married to the line-carrier? It makes sense for female genetic donors to have to live on lot (which doesn't require marriage), but it's actually harder to not move in male genetic donors--no cash bonus, no extra help around the lot. It seems like it's purely an extranenous style rule for people who don't like so-called bastard children.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: 2009 June 27, 15:24:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the best part about the Legacy Challenge is everyone can play the flavor they want. No one really needs to lobby Pinstar to change the rules, just play it how you think makes sense! It's not like there's a camera in your house keeping track. I have no intention of keeping score or painting portraits. It doesn't interest me, but the idea and skeletal framework of the Legacy challenge does appeal to me. It's your game, play it how you want Smiley.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2009 June 27, 21:12:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not really lobbying Pinstar to change the rules, if I do get around to playing a legacy type game, I'll do it how I want. I just think he should be aware that marrying 'rich' Sims doesn't bring a bunch of money into the household, and his rule about not marrying rich Sims is pointless. Maybe he should play the game a bit more and get a feel for it before making up rules for his challenge.
MasterDinadan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2009 June 28, 05:28:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's your game, play it how you want Smiley.

Dammit, I wish you had told me that before I had 6 kids so I could paint portraits of all of them!

Although seriously, if I am just going to play the game how I want, it's not much of a challenge.  I like to have a goal of some sort, and keeping score gives me a goal.  The problem is that the score-keeping scheme that Pinstar has devised encourages ridiculous things like having a ton of children just so you can paint portraits of them.  Portraits are stupid!

I guess I could make my own scoring criteria, but then it wouldn't be Legacy Challenge.  If I go around telling people what happened to my third generation in Dinadan Challenge, nobody would have any clue what I'm talking about.

I guess the only solution is not to play Legacy.  I don't want to feel pressured to have a house full of sims at all times just so that I can get as many points as possible.
jaccirocker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2009 June 28, 06:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the best part about the Legacy Challenge is everyone can play the flavor they want. No one really needs to lobby Pinstar to change the rules, just play it how you think makes sense! It's not like there's a camera in your house keeping track. I have no intention of keeping score or painting portraits. It doesn't interest me, but the idea and skeletal framework of the Legacy challenge does appeal to me. It's your game, play it how you want Smiley.

This was the point I was trying to get accross. Some of what the original challenge held didn't interest me but a lot did. I thought some might enjoy my bastardization.

@ Rohina, I am not trying to take credit for somone else's work which "plagarizes" implies. I do believe that I clearly stated that it was an amendment which means add(s) to. Also why the quotes around and deliberate misspelling of my name. Have I offended you in any way?

@ Aquilegia. They don't have to marry the donor they must however marry their life partner.

Again I just really wanted to just offer up my idea as an alternative way to play.This makes it more challenging for me
« Last Edit: 2009 June 28, 10:01:19 by jaccirocker » Logged

mindtempest
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2009 June 28, 14:39:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You must start in a fresh unplayed file and with a brand new Sim. All random traits must be chosen from the start of legacy /w the exception of 2nd generation onward may carry one 1 of the founder's traits as a family trait. You may choose to deleteallhumans if you like.
IMPORTANT.
As a mass money tree farmer in a non-legacy game, this is certainly broken. While I have yet to start a Legacy game, not mandating a fresh game means a previous money tree garden in the neighbour's house can be raped for money instantly. An array of 100 perfect money trees can be harvested in less than a day and net approximately 100K. Money tree's money output completely dominates whatever gardening normal plants can generate (barring perfect deathfish-duplicating omni plants).
"Your founder, and only your founder, cannot marry a rich sim. All future generations may marry any sim, rich or otherwise.

Money Legacy points capped at 20 total (2 million in net worth)
+1. This is very important as aforementioned money exploits can result in massive ballooning of money. As the ingame description for money tree states, inflation really occurs, and quickly for that. Capping it solves it pretty much. Over 10 generations it is possible to (with obtaining of more unknown special seeds daily) to get arrays of money trees relatively easily.
jaccirocker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2009 June 28, 15:17:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IMPORTANT.
As a mass money tree farmer in a non-legacy game, this is certainly broken. While I have yet to start a Legacy game, not mandating a fresh game means a previous money tree garden in the neighbour's house can be raped for money instantly. An array of 100 perfect money trees can be harvested in less than a day and net approximately 100K. Money tree's money output completely dominates whatever gardening normal plants can generate (barring perfect deathfish-duplicating omni plants).
Money Legacy points capped at 20 total (2 million in net worth)
That's why I specified a fresh unplayed file. Meaning a brand new file that has never been played at all, not just a new household in a "played" nhood.

Budgie
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2009 June 28, 15:41:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA sims are Fuglier than all belief, and the gene pool is far too polluted with monstrous characteristics for me to get all that attached to a single family of them.  Is there any way to work around the fugly problem?
I understand the rule about CAS banning - in this way, you cannot create say, neat/natural cook sims to have a free servant for the family at every generation - but what about CAS Sims with randomized traits/wants?  Really, only the appearance matters to me.  Someone about halfway through the thread asked if "editsim" was a legitimate work around, but I didn't see any replies to it.  What about using the two "replaced" neighborhoods available on MATY that have the EA fuglies replaced?  It's possible that I'm missing the point of the ban entirely, but I'm sure there must be some middle ground.

If you have Awesomemod, you can use the commands dresser <sim> and mirror <sim> on anyone in your neighboorhood. I used editsim on the worst of the fuglies, but I didn't look at the panel with the traits/LTWs just because doing that felt like cheating to me.
wendylady
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2009 July 01, 14:23:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would say making it so they have to marry is unfair to the sim's with commitment issues.

I had a sims try For baby with her lover , Was hoping to move him in with her yet do it her commitment issues, I could not get them to move in or other wise. Then the day when she had the baby he grew old, and died 3 days later. I will not give up my Heir Just because his mom is not married.

As for marrying a rich sim's , maybe it can be made that by gen 2  when you have over 150,000+ in wealth your self, you can then marry any listed as rich.
Also if you not lazy you can for each gen edit the xml so that rich sims are listed who have more wealth then you. I do believe i saw somewhere around the forums a way to change what counted as a rich sim.

As for the life span , I have played both parts and noted that skills/job raise slower in the longer ones then it does in 90d. My Epic sims took just as long to master something life time wise as my 90 day , yet it did not seem like such a short rush or time to do it.  IF others would test this also and let me know what you think on it , I would be thankful.

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2009 July 01, 14:44:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing is it doesn't make a difference if you marry a rich Sim, they don't bring in any more money than non-rich Sims. It would only matter if you were going to move into the rich Sim's house, which is already against Legacy rules.
jaccirocker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2009 July 01, 21:44:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would say making it so they have to marry is unfair to the sim's with commitment issues.

I had a sims try For baby with her lover , Was hoping to move him in with her yet do it her commitment issues, I could not get them to move in or other wise. Then the day when she had the baby he grew old, and died 3 days later. I will not give up my Heir Just because his mom is not married.

As for marrying a rich sim's , maybe it can be made that by gen 2  when you have over 150,000+ in wealth your self, you can then marry any listed as rich.
Also if you not lazy you can for each gen edit the xml so that rich sims are listed who have more wealth then you. I do believe i saw somewhere around the forums a way to change what counted as a rich sim.

As for the life span , I have played both parts and noted that skills/job raise slower in the longer ones then it does in 90d. My Epic sims took just as long to master something life time wise as my 90 day , yet it did not seem like such a short rush or time to do it.  IF others would test this also and let me know what you think on it , I would be thankful.

Wendylady you don't have to play my rules or really any else's rules. My version certainly is quite a twist on the original rules. Feel free to disregard them.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2009 July 01, 22:32:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind (because I didn't) that in order to get 33 LTW, you need 33 sims. I suppose that could break down as 2 in the first generation, then probably 4 each generation since the legacy ends at the birth of the tenth. I should have kept all five sisters of the second generation in the house and had them reach their LTW, using one of the youngest twins as heir. Instead, my next family-oriented sim gets to be a baby factory. I'm truly tempted to restart the Tests, my Sims 1 & 2 family. They had 11 children in Sims 2.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2009 July 01, 23:53:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Keep in mind (because I didn't) that in order to get 33 LTW, you need 33 sims. I suppose that could break down as 2 in the first generation, then probably 4 each generation since the legacy ends at the birth of the tenth. I should have kept all five sisters of the second generation in the house and had them reach their LTW, using one of the youngest twins as heir. Instead, my next family-oriented sim gets to be a baby factory. I'm truly tempted to restart the Tests, my Sims 1 & 2 family. They had 11 children in Sims 2.

I actually have a feeling we'll need more than 4 each gen to get all 33 LTW's.  Even with waiting until YA to get the 5 LTW options to pick from, I'm sure there'll be alot of repeats (unless one gets really, really lucky).  Are those 5 choices at YA purely random or do their traits and/or skills learned influence it? 

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2009 July 02, 00:46:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think both. But I'm not sure...there's always the Change LTW reward object, but I've never used it and suspect it would restrict to the magic five choices for their personality.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jaccirocker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2009 July 02, 02:28:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think both. But I'm not sure...there's always the Change LTW reward object, but I've never used it and suspect it would restrict to the magic five choices for their personality.

It does go back to the original choices. The only other option that could possibly work is changing the traits first (20,000 Mid-Life Crisis Award) then using up another 10,000 points to change the LTW.

GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2009 July 02, 03:04:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote:
Damsel   
« Reply #150 on: Today at 20:45:19 »
I have had an issue with the rule about accepting the first lifetime wish that comes along. I understand why this exists, it's definitely much more fun and interesting to play with Sims of varying interests and personalities, but the problem with this is, all my Sims keep wanting is to become professional athletes due to the fact that my Sims all enjoy playing with the football and baseball together. There's nothing random or varying about that! I have since banned the use of said objects, but it's disappointing not being able to let my Sims play with them. It's a good way to increase fun and build relationships without having to micromanage them.  End Quote

I saw you deleted this post, maybe you figured out that there is no such rule yet, or mis-read a previous post about YA's being forced to accept a random LTW (if no LTW has previously been accepted).  YA's still get the 5 LTW's to choose from, if one hasn't been chosen yet, and there is yet no such rule about accepting the first LTW to pop up for children (or how to pick one for your Founder in CAS).

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: