More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 15:59:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Things you DO like...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Things you DO like...  (Read 29729 times)
Rockermonkey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Things you DO like...
« on: 2009 June 21, 09:54:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, there's a lot of negativity about Sims 3 so far in the community. So, I thought I'd make a post where we all share what we DO actually like about the game.

I like:
-The UI
-The Sims themselves
-How the neighborhood gives a really community-like feel
-Jobs and opportunities add a lot
-That virtual simulator thing
-The objects that are actually new

There's more, but gah, the list will extend to uranus( Grin) if I add much more.

So, what do you like?
farmersimmer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Things you DO like...
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 21, 10:22:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-The sun and the stars revolving above the town.That  reminds me of spore, perhaps there will be an expansion where spore creatures can invade and attack sims?
-water effects,sunlight beams through windows.
-Pescado's Awesomemod
magic cookie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 21, 10:49:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-The Sims, OK they do look puddingy but they're a vast improvement over Sims 2 Goopy-like creatures. The clothes are better too, no awful trousers with flames horrors that EA usually loves to do.
-CAST, so many possibilities without clogging the game!
- The more complex aspiration system, jobs and opportunities make the game more interesting.
-The fact that it's harder than Sims 2, money is not as easy to come by and skills are not so easily acquired, is a good thing. Kids not being able to read about cooking is more realistic IMO. 
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 21, 13:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fact that it's harder than Sims 2, money is not as easy to come by and skills are not so easily acquired

I actually find it easier than Sims 2.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 21, 14:12:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like how there are a lot of good money sinks though. The spa is always a good way to blow a load of simoleans. And just when you think you are rich, you buy a share in some businesses and suddenly need to snap them all up under your complete control, yet you need a metric ton of monies to be able do that. Although I've been able to turn my sim into some kind of mafia don, going around town each week to collect the "protection" money from his businesses, which has been kind of fun.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 21, 15:27:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the gameplay. I can play for hours. It can get pretty tedious during toddler time, though. I find it more challenging than Sims 2. It takes longer to generate enough wealth to upgrade into nicer houses.

I can't decide if I like the sims eyes moving when they read or not.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
Czezechael
Blathering Buffoon

in my mouf...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 21, 15:54:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pudding-looks (when they are less incredibly pudding), the fact that trees and bushes sway in the breeze, the somewhat improved lighting, the way better skybox, and the prettier water.  I guess opportunities are nice too, as are some of the skill challenges.

I do not like how effortless it is to get promoted in some professions, if you lack the raw skill in your current field as a surgeon you should not become an even more complicated surgeon.
skelley
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 21, 16:02:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the roof slider, the 45 degree object placement, and the half-space object placement.
It's nice not to need to enter codes to do that stuff now.
The Drowning moodlet was amusing.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 21, 17:45:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-The fact that it's harder than Sims 2, money is not as easy to come by and skills are not so easily acquired, is a good thing. Kids not being able to read about cooking is more realistic IMO. 
I halfway agree with you there. Kids should be able to read about cooking, do gardening, athletics...I did all those things as a 6. I do like that skills aren't as easy and that you don't necessarily need them to get ahead. Money is definitely tight in the first generation. However, I'm on the fourth now and all of my houses in play have at least $100k in the bank, the founding house having almost $400k. If you have your sims make an effort, the money will come. Raises are a big exploit. My Leader of the Free World makes about $1200/hr, and usually gets a raise each day he comes into work.

Yeah, money sinks are awesome. I've taken to having all my pregnant sims get the most expensive spa package. It's a good money sink, plus a good buff.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 21, 18:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Revamped careers
* Seamless neighborhood
* Family members showing up in the relationships as Mother, Father, Cousin, etc. instead of just Family
* Bikes
* CAST
* Traits
* Prettier graphics (other than the Puddingface problem)
Bonzodog
Blathering Buffoon

ENFP- The Inspirer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 21, 19:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the way that it didn't take long for me to uninstall it.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 21, 22:24:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm finally getting used to the different style of playing...I'm actually liking the aging of the whole town thing after all...at least now their peers age at roughly same rate as they do...

I like the 'puddingness' of the sims...could be cuz I'm pretty 'puddingy' myself...

I really am liking the personality trait thing - the sims are more indivualistic than in 2.

I like that it's okay to let the kids be kids and they don't have to spend their childhood learning all the time - and as teens they have plenty of time to learn, too...which is also to say that I like having the flexibility to age sims slower or a whole lot slower.

Cell phones are so much better and even kids have them!

simsdesperado
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 21, 23:51:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like how there are a lot of good money sinks though. The spa is always a good way to blow a load of simoleans. And just when you think you are rich, you buy a share in some businesses and suddenly need to snap them all up under your complete control, yet you need a metric ton of monies to be able do that. Although I've been able to turn my sim into some kind of mafia don, going around town each week to collect the "protection" money from his businesses, which has been kind of fun.

I've had my sim collect gems and sent them off to cutting on the most expensive cut. Expensive paintings were donated to the museum. Right now I'm in the process of buying out all the town businesses, but I'm not sure what my sim is going to do once that is achieved.
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 22, 02:42:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well.  I want to try to answer honestly, but I know that won't happen.  (*Whereas it may be harder to accumulate wealth in 3, it is easier than 2 because the consequences of motive failure are almost negligible in 3.  *The skybox blows, it looks like that one probably 1988(?) "3d" fantasy rpg that I can't remember the name off.  Where's the constellations?  Was everyone sleeping during Oblivion?  That was a decent skybox.  Just cuz 3's is better than 2 doesn't mean it's any good.  *I despise making fat sims without any negative consequences.  It's socially irresponsible.  For the children's sake! I mean, look at the smoking thread, we all seem to -insist- upon negative effects.)  Ahem.

• What I like about The Sims 3 is that I own every expansion pack!  I never did that with The Sims 2.
  • I like the bit more variety in the careers.  (And -almost- despise that science is all about the gardening.)
  • I do like DnD patterns tyvm
  • I like that it is current and I'm part of the hip crowd
  • I like the simplification that led to moodlets, even if not a huge fan of moodlets
  • I like jogging around town, while I hate the cost of FPS and the fact that running is faster
  • I like having more (effective) LTWs
  • The water is pretty... seems prettier than Oblivions
  • I really liked the ceiling... until I moved the camera slightly and saw the skybox at the top of the stairs.  *shrug*
  • Um, I like putting the bubblebath and rubber duckie on the tub
  • Oh!  My favorite is that sims can usually move between objects when they would have been blocked in TS2.  Related to effectively doubling the resolution of the placement grid, I suppose. (Or, as I like to say: "doubling or quadrupling, depending upon your dimensional perspective.")

/looking at other replies/

• I like bikes alot, but the worse cars more than cancels that out
  • 45 degree is hit & miss.  I like that I don't have to use the cheat code, but would rather keep it simple and remove any possibility of 45s (ya know, now I have to keep track of which things are flush at a 45 wall, or which leave a gap), especially since that just clarifies you can't do 1/360ths, which if you consider such free rotation, you might understand why I think I prefer only 4 directional choices.  Just simpler.

Probably most of all I like giving my opinion.  But I don't like to bore or irritate people, so sometimes I wish people wouldn't ask for my opinion.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 22, 03:01:02 by McCrea » Logged
lingeringviolet
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 22, 02:53:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So essentially, your "Things I Like" post is a backhanded "This Shit Annoys Me" post. I'm curious why you (general you here because it seems this applies to many people) insist on playing a game you dislike. 

What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
It's Log, Log, Log!
It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 22, 03:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that it is current and I'm part of the hip crowd.  (like, DUH, why do you thing 90% of us are playing it?)

I did honestly list as many or more things that I like as everyone else.  I did list more thing that I don't like as everyone else.  I did start my reply with effective "I'd like to cooperate but I know I won't."

Ok?

Edit:  I do think I did NOT mention any part of my "shit that annoys me" list.  (eh, maybe "fat" but that's all, I swear)
« Last Edit: 2009 June 22, 03:20:29 by McCrea » Logged
lingeringviolet
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 22, 03:09:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that it is current and I'm part of the hip crowd.  (like, DUH, why do you thing 90% of us are playing it?)

Gee, and here I thought most people are playing it because they actually enjoy the game. I'm also interested in why you think playing a game makes you "part of the hip crowd" and why you would want to be included, since it forces you to play a game you dislike.

What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
It's Log, Log, Log!
It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 22, 03:37:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that it is current and I'm part of the hip crowd.  (like, DUH, why do you thing 90% of us are playing it?)

Gee, and here I thought most people are playing it because they actually enjoy the game. I'm also interested in why you think playing a game makes you "part of the hip crowd" and why you would want to be included, since it forces you to play a game you dislike.

Fine.  I didn't say I dislike it.  If we're going to have a personal discussion then fine, I'll ask you some questions.  What did I post that makes you think I dislike the game?  This doesn't resemble any of my hate posts.  (And I'm not going to turn this into one no matter how much you goad me.)  Probably the main reason I'm playing is that I don't have another game I'm interested in at the moment.  Any suggestions?  I don't want to get to far OT, so I'll just mention I don't care for FPS.

Reminds me of my mother.  I love my mother.  If you ask me about her, I'll probably mention at most 3 good things.  And then I'll spend the next few hours complaining about everything else she does.  I don't hate her.  Most guys do that regarding their wives too -- I don't happen to be married, probably because I forget to wait until after the ceremony to start complaining.  I'm demonstrating Pretty ordinary and boring behavior too me.  And you *act* surprised by this common behavior?

I'm still trying to figure out if TS3 is worse than TS2.  It's a big game / I'm still exploring.  Even if it is worse than TS2, do I have to dislike it?  I think I'd rather play 3 than 2 for close to the first reason I listed.  This is only one disc.  I don't have to load (/have space for) 16 discs.  And to repeat myself, I'm still discovering things in this game.

And I don't buy that you're that stupid.  Yes, people jump off of bridges because everyone else was doing it.  (Honestly now. if you keep entertaining me, I'll probably steal your thread.  I don't want to do that.)  And I'll repeat myself once more since I can see you writhing.  I didn't say I dislike the game.  I personally don't think I even implied it, but that of course is subjective and arguable.

gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 22, 04:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that the sims can take care of themselves better. My 5 year old managed to keep a household of 5 (from the bin- 2 adults, 2 children, 1 toddler) alive all afternoon, buying them birthday cake after birthday cake and enjoying watching. It makes sense, but I really had no idea he was THAT into birthday parties.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
Rockermonkey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 22, 04:22:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So essentially, your "Things I Like" post is a backhanded "This Shit Annoys Me" post. I'm curious why you (general you here because it seems this applies to many people) insist on playing a game you dislike. 

I personally love the game. I can only think of a few cons, where as sims 2 was con city. Although I still enjoyed sims 2, sims 3 is going to make it impossible to even look at sims 2. Sims 2 is a big step down for me, for many reasons. I guess I'm just a loner and am different then most simmers. I didn't download much towards the end of my time with sims 2. Plus the graphics with sims 2 was just so unnatural and blocky, sims 3 is very natural and has more lifelike-ness to it. The faces aren't painted on anymore XD. I like it.
awrevell
Blathering Buffoon

Old School Charm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 22, 04:37:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the new skill system.
    I like that the creativity skills are seperated now.  Being able to paint a masterpiece shouldn't make you able to play guitar like a pro as it did in TS2.
    I like that you can upgrade items with the handyness skill.  Upgrade everything in the bathroom to self-cleaning ftw!
    I like that the fishing and gardening skills were included in the base game and that you can supplement your income with or derive your entire income from those skills.

I like that the quality of the ingredients effects the quality of the food produced by cooking.

I like that they included driving and bike riding in the base game.

I like moodlets. Both good and bad moodlets make the game interesting.

I like the open town and being able to visit neighbors instead of hoping to run into them or trying to get them to come over on the phone to improve your relationship.

I like the new career and opportunities systems.

And, last but not least.  I like AWESOMEMOD!  If your game isn't AWESOME, it isn't worth playing.

C++ is designed to allow you to express ideas, but if you don't have ideas, or don't have any clue about how to express them, C++ doesn't offer much help.  - Bjarne Stroustrup
Bugger
Lipless Loser

off on another strange Bugger tangent...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 22, 05:16:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Who the fuck are you again?  And why are you acting like you have the disc inserted in your ass, rather than your computer?

<Dark_Trepie> Booty's go OHHH!. Pirate Booty's go ARRR!
McCrea
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 June 22, 05:47:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like:
-The UI
t do you like?

What do you like about the User Interface, Rockermonkey?
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2009 June 22, 06:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently went back to playing TS2, and the only things that I actually really missed was the ability to click and drag to resize rooms, and having sims that could use corner counters. Tongue

I do like the traits system, though, and, somewhat surprisingly, the seamless neighborhood.  The careers seemed interesting at first, but ultimately they just started to look like TS2 careers with a few more bells and whistles. 

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Rockermonkey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 June 22, 06:08:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like:
-The UI
t do you like?

What do you like about the User Interface, Rockermonkey?
I like how it has tabs and the whole layout of buy and build mode. Also the whole cluttered look is cool to me. Since I like clutter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: