More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 22:55:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  IMPORTANT DESIGN POLL
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Does anyone here actually play this game without a scrolly wheel?  (Voting closed: 2009 June 24, 17:22:35)
Yes - 29 (8.6%)
No - 308 (91.4%)
Total Voters: 336

Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: IMPORTANT DESIGN POLL  (Read 44897 times)
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT DESIGN POLL
« Reply #25 on: 2009 June 18, 00:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm on a laptop, so I don't have a scrollwheel.  I sometimes use my mouse, but the scrollwheel has been acting up lately (it will scroll, but clicking and holding it does nothing).  For scrolling, I can use the side of the pad, and for clicking and holding the scrollwheel, Sims 3 allows me to hold down both the right and the left mouse buttons.  That doesn't work in all games, though.  So basically, I have the capabilities to use a scrollwheel, but in different forms.  I hope that wouldn't be a problem.

If Awesomemod does end up needing a scrollwheel, give us a little advance notice, so that us strangeos can take care of our system.

As long as your laptop is capable of scrolling, it doesn't sound like it's a problem. See below.

I'm a bit of a freak and use a tablet for everything(this one) it does have a touch ring on it that I use to zoom in and out so I have the functionality without an actual mouse with a wheel.
Then you do, in fact, have a scrolly wheel, regardless of its physical form.

I sing along with elevator music.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 June 18, 00:42:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid that requiring a scrolly-wheel could be a problem for me.  What feature is going to require it?
I have discovered that the menu for the  Interaction Tones, once the list grows longer than can fit on the screen, can only be scrolled using the scrolly wheel. Z and X are not acceptable substitutes, as these keys are bound to zoom-in/zoom-out and respond as such when pressed under those conditions. Right NOW, it's not a problem at all, but I am forward-facing.
OK, I'm stumped.  What is an interaction tone?  If this is something to do with sounds, then it's irrelevant to me since I play with sounds off.

This is not a monetary issue for me, but an issue of ability; I am unable to use a standard mouse.
Does whatever you use have an equivalent analogous functionality? The actual presence of the wheel is not as important as the ability to issue the command. If you have a means of scrolling a page or zooming in and out without resorting to Z/X or the arrow keys, then you still have a scrolly wheel.
Yes, the device has a scroll wheel; no, I cannot use it.  Well, I suppose it depends upon how often and how long I had to use it.  I certainly couldn't use it in normal play; I might be able to use it with my other hand.

Sorry to be such a bother, but if you could explain a bit more about what it will be used for, I would be better able to tell you whether it will seriously impact my ability to play.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

ESFP- I'm a speshul snowflake

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 June 18, 00:53:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As long as your laptop is capable of scrolling, it doesn't sound like it's a problem. See below.

Figured as much, but I thought it couldn't hurt to describe how my process works.  I don't know if the Sims3 coding treats it differently, since I know absolutely nothing about programming.

My claim to Sims fame?  I was featured as a Sims 2 fan on an MTV show about The Urbz.  I'm badass like that.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 June 18, 01:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't stand to play TS2 or TS3 without my scroll wheel.

I tried sims 3 on my brothers computer briefly where the scroll wheel wasn't working for some reason.  Needless to say i couldn't do anything since i use the scroll wheel for adjusting the view constantly.  I told him to fix the damn scroll wheel and well he did.

Yup, I agree completely.

How can anyone NOT use a scroll wheel?
Tilt camera with CTRL-click-drag. Zoom with X and Z. It's actually much more precise this way, and no tendonitis.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
anaximander
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 June 18, 01:48:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid that requiring a scrolly-wheel could be a problem for me.  What feature is going to require it?
I have discovered that the menu for the  Interaction Tones, once the list grows longer than can fit on the screen, can only be scrolled using the scrolly wheel. Z and X are not acceptable substitutes, as these keys are bound to zoom-in/zoom-out and respond as such when pressed under those conditions. Right NOW, it's not a problem at all, but I am forward-facing.
OK, I'm stumped.  What is an interaction tone?  If this is something to do with sounds, then it's irrelevant to me since I play with sounds off.

This is not a monetary issue for me, but an issue of ability; I am unable to use a standard mouse.
Does whatever you use have an equivalent analogous functionality? The actual presence of the wheel is not as important as the ability to issue the command. If you have a means of scrolling a page or zooming in and out without resorting to Z/X or the arrow keys, then you still have a scrolly wheel.
Yes, the device has a scroll wheel; no, I cannot use it.  Well, I suppose it depends upon how often and how long I had to use it.  I certainly couldn't use it in normal play; I might be able to use it with my other hand.

Sorry to be such a bother, but if you could explain a bit more about what it will be used for, I would be better able to tell you whether it will seriously impact my ability to play.

Okay. He did explain what it's for - it's for changing the quality of work while you're on the job - the tones are the bits in the box that say things like "play golf" "suck up to boss" "work hard", etc. He's saying that if he expands that box with yet-to-come options, it may require use of the scroll wheel to access them all. He can't map it to the normal scroll hotkeys because those revert to zoom no matter what.
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 June 18, 01:51:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My opinion is such.
If you need to map something to the scrolly wheel , can you do so with an additional key? shift -scroll perhaps? I do use the mouse for most my navigation (lazy ..why yes!). Providing a means to disable said extra usage of scroll mouse is also fine by me. (yay for the config file)

I am wishing it would not permanently change the navigation method use of the scroll, that said ..sure make contextual scrolling menus.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
moondance
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 June 18, 07:00:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hell, sometimes I don't even know where my keyboard is.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 June 18, 08:21:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, basically, it is used in the Interaction Tone Selector, which you see in things like how you choose how a sim behaves at work, or what special way you want them to exercise, etc. This list can be scrolled using the scrolly wheel on your mouse. It is not necessary to do this, unless the list becomes so long that it can no longer be entirely contained on a single screen, and I have no idea how large the screen may be. It will probably overload once the number of options passes about 30-ish, which is a very real possibility. This is not a PROBLEM, if you can simply scroll the list with your scrolly wheel control, but since I could not find any keyboard button that performs this functionality, if your list has 30+ active options, you are SOL without it, and will be limited to the topmost actions, the lower actions being inaccessible without using your scrolly wheel. I will try to design it such that the more esoteric options are located towards the end of the list, in case they are rendered inaccessible, and at this point, there aren't that many options anyway, but I like to plan ahead.

So far, the basic consensus I am getting is that pretty much everyone possesses scrolly wheel functionality on the computer, although not everyone actively uses it, except for your case, where you claim to be physically unable to access the functionality. More details as to how bad this is would be helpful in designing the interface. Reaching over with your other hand to manipulate the control should, in theory, serve to operate the menu, and I can try to minimize the need to do this at all, but the game does not appear to include any other keyboard alternatives.

If you need to map something to the scrolly wheel , can you do so with an additional key? shift -scroll perhaps? I do use the mouse for most my navigation (lazy ..why yes!). Providing a means to disable said extra usage of scroll mouse is also fine by me. (yay for the config file)
I don't need to "map" anything. The problem is more the opposite, that the existing menu behavior is hardmapped with the scrolly wheel as the only method of accessing it, which brings up the concern of how those who lack this functionality can access it.

I am wishing it would not permanently change the navigation method use of the scroll, that said ..sure make contextual scrolling menus.
That's what I'm talking about: The menu is a contextual scroller menu by default. NORMALLY, the menu can never get long enough for this to MATTER, but I am concerned that this is a very real possibility that it CAN, and the length may render options unusable by those who cannot scrollywheel.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 June 18, 11:54:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup.  I don't use a mouse.  I use a Logitech Trackman Wheel, I have for years, and I have replaced it many times with the same device after subjecting it to too much abuse.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 June 18, 11:59:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok I get it. I can be dense at times. I say go for it.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 June 18, 19:00:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far, the basic consensus I am getting is that pretty much everyone possesses scrolly wheel functionality on the computer, although not everyone actively uses it, except for your case, where you claim to be physically unable to access the functionality. More details as to how bad this is would be helpful in designing the interface. Reaching over with your other hand to manipulate the control should, in theory, serve to operate the menu, and I can try to minimize the need to do this at all, but the game does not appear to include any other keyboard alternatives.

I think that you should be able to go ahead with using the scroll wheel.  I especially like the idea of keeping the standard options near the top, so that I can just ignore the new options if it's too difficult.  Thanks so much for all of your work on this, and for considering accessibility.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
velvetongue
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 June 18, 19:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I normally use a Wacom tablet, but for playing Sims 3 I have switched to a proper mouse with a scrollwheel.
snapzit
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 June 18, 20:36:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will Page Up/Down work for the ones who don't have a wheel? El Presidente, will it also work for your application?

Perfected the golf clap here.

ENTP
Menchii
Asinine Airhead

Standing Kitteh!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 June 19, 07:35:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get very pissed off when I have to use a mouse without a scrolly-wheel.  I constantly use my scrolly-wheel.  For people who can't scrolly-wheel I feel bad for you.

And, you know, rude, mean people want a place to call home, too. There are plenty of sugary nice places already. This ain't one of them.
Mirablu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 June 19, 08:01:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play on a laptop without a scroll wheel, but the touchpad has a scroll-wheel like function. However, it doesn't work for things where I have to actually click the mouse button (i.e. rotating the camera in TS2 and TS3-- for that, I have to press ctrl+right click).

So: scroll wheel, yes, middle mouse button, no.
Elyanna
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 June 19, 20:45:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play with a scroll wheel. I used to play on a laptop without one. Never again.

INFP
Firestarter
Asinine Airhead

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 June 19, 21:16:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a scroll wheel - full speed ahead.

Thanks for all your brilliance.

Handle every situation like a dog - if you can't eat it or screw it, piss on it and walk away.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 June 19, 21:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play with a scroll wheel. I used to play on a laptop without one. Never again.

I attach mice to laptops and place a "patch" over the useless touchpad. Touchpads suck, especially if you have fingernails of any length at all past the fingertip, and I don't mean talons.

It's all what you are used to, though. Some of my classmates are speed-demons with their stupid touchpads. I hate them, thus never bothered to get acclimated to them.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
smokeverbs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 June 19, 22:19:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I avoid using mice that don't have scrollwheels. I thought they were pretty much standard now?
WatersMoon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 June 20, 00:07:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use a trackball mouse, but functionally, it's pretty much the same as a scrolly-wheel.
I have a trackball mouse with a scroll wheel. In the Sims 3 (as well as the Sims 2) the scroll wheel is used to zoom or...un-zoom. The trackball just moves the courser around. So I don't think a trackball would be able to scroll the Interaction Tone Selector window (unless, I think, one has a middle mouse key).

Don't step on the Mome Raths.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 June 20, 00:55:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My laptop lacks a scrollwheel. I'm used to the touchpad now.
skelley
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 June 20, 18:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play on a Mac laptop. No scrollwheel. No mouse.
Winterhart
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 June 21, 18:28:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use scroll wheel all the time.

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2009 June 21, 19:07:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use a scrollwheelless trackball and I can't get a new one that fits my little pudgy arthritic hand so I am praying this never wears out.  However, I am not currently using this hack so it doens't really matter Cheesy

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Robowolf
Asinine Airhead

Oh, to toss grenades around in space!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 June 21, 19:36:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use a laptop with a touchpad and, sadly, no scroll wheel - although I can attach a wireless mouse that has one if absolutely necessary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: