More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:31:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  Gardening and fertilizing
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Gardening and fertilizing  (Read 122962 times)
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Gardening and fertilizing
« Reply #75 on: 2009 June 25, 17:11:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whenever I plant water melon it dries up and almost dies every day.. soo sick of this.

Also.. I havent figured out how to make the sprinkler automatic water the plants at night.

From my experiences, Watermelons (and the Money Tree) show the effects of needing water differently than the other plants, tho they'll all show as 'wilting'

As for the automatic sprinklers, they work automatically from 4-7 am, and there is no night option.

You'll also need a sim with a high enough 'Handiness' skill, to upgrade the sprinklers to 'Auto-water'.  I have yet to have a sprinkler actually break tho, when starting out a family and leaving them running 24/7.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2009 June 25, 19:50:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not clear that auto-water is even needed.  You can just turn the sprinkler on and leave it on, with no apparent ill effects.  Personally, I turn the sprinklers on briefly and then off whenever something obviously needs watering, just because constant watering bothers my frugal soul.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
fatkitty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2009 June 25, 20:21:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought that using the sprinklers added to the household bills.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2009 June 26, 08:47:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back to topic: Crosspollination...yeah right!! I believe that "gardening badass" rather forgot, what he planted where.

Yeah... I think he's full of fertilizer.

BTW: My level 10 gardener (with the green thumb trait plus the "super green thumb life time award" can revive Death-flowers more than once.
Not sure if that's a bug/glitch or a feature. Death flowers keep piling up in his inventory and I didn't find any appr. use for them yet
(besides working as a trade off whenever a sim dies by accident...which hasn't happen in my game yet)

-le

One of my sims who is a green thumb and has the super green thumb, but it not level 10 (he's like, 7, I think), also seems to be able to revive death plants over and over. I haven't tried after the fourth time, though, since I have no use for all these death flowers. Everyone in the fambly has two at least. So I let the plant die and tossed it.

I also have a veritable orchard of money trees. On a good harvest day I bring in $10K in money bags. It's nice. They've started dropping seeds, too.

Some plants do wilt every day. It's no big deal, just sprinkler or tend... I did have the dad of the gardening sim I mentioned upgrade the sprinklers... I don't know if I could leave them on, I guess it's hardwired in me not to waste water, even virtual water.  Undecided

Does anyone know if flame fruits have any effect other than the moodlet you get after picking them?
I was sort of hoping that my sim would burst into flames after eating one, but no, he chops them up and puts them on his pancakes.

edit: added flame fruit question

INTP.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2009 June 26, 18:49:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aside from the +5 mood for carrying one, Flame Fruit is an ingredient in Angel Food Cake, which gives a larger warmth bonus (+15 if I recall) after you eat it, beyond the regular food quality bonuses.

Despite that, I feel compelled to feed Sims a "healthy," time-appropriate diet, so I almost never end up eating the stuff.  Even though it's arguably the best food in the game, better than Lobster.  Desserts are kind of strange, since they're essentially just another meal.  If it were me, I'd have tweaked the design to get behavior much like real desserts, i.e. Sims would eat dinner and a small serving of dessert, and the bonuses would stack, but doing so meant fat.

- Gus

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2009 June 26, 20:44:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know of an existing Flame Fruit plant in Riverview?  My poor Sim has had a wish to grow one for about 3 Sim weeks, but I can't seem to find one, and I'm not getting lucky with the seeds.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
mindtempest
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2009 June 27, 13:38:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my sims who is a green thumb and has the super green thumb, but it not level 10 (he's like, 7, I think), also seems to be able to revive death plants over and over. I haven't tried after the fourth time, though, since I have no use for all these death flowers. Everyone in the fambly has two at least. So I let the plant die and tossed it.
Direct contradiction to ingame XML. Ingame XML, as well as empirical testing, show clearly 2 harvests before barren, so there is NO possibility you could revive the same death plant four times.
I thought that using the sprinklers added to the household bills.
Apparently they do, and so do the spotlights. Bills jumped from ~1k to ~3k after I started leaving the 10 sprinklers for the massive farm on auto-water and 4 spotlights permanantly on.
Does anyone know of an existing Flame Fruit plant in Riverview?  My poor Sim has had a wish to grow one for about 3 Sim weeks, but I can't seem to find one, and I'm not getting lucky with the seeds.
Just find Unknown Special Seeds and plant them, you have a 1/4 chance of getting a flame fruit bush. In a good night with the Finder one can find up to 12 special seeds.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2009 June 28, 04:33:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From my experiences, Watermelons (and the Money Tree) show the effects of needing water differently than the other plants, tho they'll all show as 'wilting'

I think watermelons and some other plants show as wilting because they are more sensitive to the ground getting dry. Somewhere around the forum ( here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15363.msg441788.html#msg441788) someone posted some details about the plants they found, and there was something about watermelons going into negative when the ground is just "neutral", while most plants still stay in the positive aka non-wilted.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 28, 04:39:09 by IgnorantBliss » Logged

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2009 June 28, 05:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Direct contradiction to ingame XML. Ingame XML, as well as empirical testing, show clearly 2 harvests before barren, so there is NO possibility you could revive the same death plant four times.

Well, the plant kept coming back to life with the green light and everything. Why would I lie?

INTP.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2009 June 28, 06:34:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Despite that, I feel compelled to feed Sims a "healthy," time-appropriate diet, so I almost never end up eating the stuff.
"Healthy, time appropriate diets" are, in fact, healthy and unnatural, as the Sims neatly demonstrates. If you try to make your sims eat like "normal people", they become *FAT*, like NORMAL PEOPLE, which just goes to show that NORMAL PEOPLE are DOING IT WRONG.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2009 June 28, 06:43:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What the sims need is portion control. You can eat all sorts of crap without gaining weight as long as you watch how much you eat. Is it healthy, probably not.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2009 June 28, 07:55:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can eat all sorts of crap without gaining weight as long as you watch how much you eat. Is it healthy, probably not.
The truth that few people are apparently smart enough to grasp, yes. People seem to really struggle with this "conservation of mass" concept. The idea that the amount of weight you gain can be readily calculated simply by subtracting the amount you poop out from the amount you eat is nothing short of magic to some people.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2009 June 29, 15:05:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Forcing bulimia doesn't seem to reverse the weight gain from over eating either.   Sad
caitlyn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2009 June 29, 15:20:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So they'll just keep yielding produce? Cool! I have quite a few perfect and special plants that i didn't want to lose. Thanks.

Yes, a definite exploit.  I saved a lot full of perfect fruit/veggies/money trees and plop it down as a community lot in non-challenge neighborhoods.  They can go daily and harvest without having to do anything for it.

Not all those who wander are lost.
--J R R Tolkien
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2009 July 08, 12:31:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back to topic: Crosspollination...yeah right!! I believe that "gardening badass" rather forgot, what he planted where.

Yeah... I think he's full of fertilizer.

So... I was wandering around Riverview and my sim was hungry, so I had her harvest what I thought was an apple tree on the McDermott farm. Strangely, when I checked her inventory, she also had limes. I hovered over the tree and it said it was a lime tree. But she did get apples from it.

I am going to try to duplicate this as I am starting to think maybe he's not so full of fertilizer after all... Huh

INTP.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: 2009 July 08, 21:49:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you click 'harvest', the sim will proceed to harvest anything they can, until they either run out of harvestables on that lot or are directed to stop. It's possible the sim harvested an apple tree and a lime tree.

skelley
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2009 July 09, 15:33:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Sim who is a Mad Scientist. He will occasionally bring home "leftover" items from experiments at work, including seeds and a deathflower.

He also has the Transmogrify interaction with eatables in his inventory. He can turn apples into flame fruits that way.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2009 July 09, 16:35:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Sim who is a Mad Scientist. He will occasionally bring home "leftover" items from experiments at work, including seeds and a deathflower.

He also has the Transmogrify interaction with eatables in his inventory. He can turn apples into flame fruits that way.

Hmm, odd. I don't have the transmogrify interaction though I do have the "perform experiment on" one. Did transmogrify come from an opportunity or does it just appear at level 10 science and maybe my sim is just bugged? *sigh*

Also, I read you can bring the death plant back to life once you harvest it if you have the green thumb trait. Well I do but I never get the interaction to do it. It's not barren, the death plant just ends up regular dead once you harvest.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2009 July 09, 16:42:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, odd. I don't have the transmogrify interaction though I do have the "perform experiment on" one. Did transmogrify come from an opportunity or does it just appear at level 10 science and maybe my sim is just bugged? *sigh*

From what I've read on the forums, the offspring of firemen sometimes or always have the ability to turn any fruit into a flame fruit.

fatkitty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2009 July 09, 16:45:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, I read you can bring the death plant back to life once you harvest it if you have the green thumb trait. Well I do but I never get the interaction to do it. It's not barren, the death plant just ends up regular dead once you harvest.

You have to have high enough gardening skill as well.  I believe it's level 6.
skelley
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2009 July 09, 16:47:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I've read on the forums, the offspring of firemen sometimes or always have the ability to turn any fruit into a flame fruit.

This Sim is the grandson of a firefighter, so maybe that's where it came from. I didn't notice it until he was already a mad scientist.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2009 July 10, 16:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to have high enough gardening skill as well.  I believe it's level 6.

I have several sims past 6 and gardening and seem not ever have gotten the revive ability. *shrug*

Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2009 July 10, 17:13:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Revive requires the Green Thumb trait.  Not the perk, the personality trait.

- Gus

FrickinIdjit
Corpulent Cretin

ENTJ

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2009 July 10, 17:46:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What factors, if any, affect the chances of success when reviving a barren deathflower?  My - admittedly short - experiments with it show a 50/50 chance of success on any given day.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2009 July 11, 03:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Revive requires the Green Thumb trait.  Not the perk, the personality trait.

- Gus

Ah okay. The ones I tried just had the perk. I have a new sim that just aged up to YA and I gave him the personality trait but he just got to level 6 so I'll work him up to 10 and see if I can do it.

Is it redundant to have the perk and the personality trait or do the benefits stack?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: