More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 03:09:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Computer shuts down without awesome mod, with awesome mod it crashes
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Computer shuts down without awesome mod, with awesome mod it crashes  (Read 6607 times)
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
Computer shuts down without awesome mod, with awesome mod it crashes
« on: 2009 September 20, 17:15:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My daughter tried installing the sims 3 (retail dvd version) on her computer back when it came out but it shuts her computer down when she tries to start the game. Now that I'm here visiting, I tried awesome mod (and required framework -- after uninstalling, reinstalling fresh, and running official updates), and now it loads through to the first screen (where you can pick a neighborhood) but trying to do that causes a CTD. I am also unable to access the options. When I push the options button a screen flashes up and away but doesn't stay so that I could change any settings. I've tried modifying the ini file to start her in a window, the same things above still happen. I've also tried modifying her shortcut properties (to TS3.exe -- not the launcher) with -nosound in case that was the problem. I've deleted all cache files before trying to start. I've uninstalled EADM.

I have updated her (ATI radeon 2600) video drivers. I have applied the "hotfix" that was linked off the sims 3 forum. I've opened her case to observe dust and fan behavior (and feel for heat) and every thing looks fine. All fans spinning, no particular dust build up. Sims 2 (and all expansions) still work fine for her.

She has a 300 watt asus power supply, 1.8 Athlon 64, ATI Radeon 2600xt, sblive sound card.

I'm at a loss at what to try next. Any ideas?

* xcpt GIRLS 09-09-20 11.59.47.txt (12.37 KB - downloaded 297 times.)

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
Re: Computer shuts down without awesome mod, with awesome mod it crashes
« Reply #1 on: 2009 September 25, 02:55:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Per suggestion on the official site I upgraded her power supply to 500 watts today, still it won't play

Gethane Sims
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 September 25, 07:39:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the computer physically SHUTS DOWN, something is very wrong with the computer.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 September 25, 12:07:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that same problem after updating my Nvidia drivers.  I reverted back and loaded the FPS limiter and one or the other fixed it.  I thought it was a hardware problem even though only the Sims 3 seemed capable of actually shutting the computer down with the new driver.  It had never happened before.  I am not sure about ATI cards though ...
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2009 September 26, 03:38:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I guess we'll just get her a mobo, mem, cpu upgrade at Xmas.

Gethane Sims
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 September 26, 04:48:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, screw that. She's just some stupid kid. Get YOURSELF an upgrade, and dump your old computer on her.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
gotthilf
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 September 26, 19:31:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same problem for me.
Every other game works fine, but SIMs3 sometimes shuts down my PC.
Actual ATI driver is nstalled. Used grapphic card: ATI Fire GL5250
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2009 September 27, 01:14:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would Pescado, that's normally how we roll, but I have to have a laptop for law school so I'll have to upgrade her Smiley Lucky 12 (though just 1 more year she'll be an 18).

Her system started as an Asus barebones and has (unfortunately) an ali (or is it uli) chipset. My techie dh thinks that could be causing the problem since its a bit of an odd bird. Anyone heard of any chipset incompatibilities with sims 3?

Gethane Sims
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 September 27, 02:46:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not really, no.

Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 September 27, 02:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS3 is fairly easy on requirements, TS2 had heavier requirements at its time.

The problem comes from people that ONLY play The Sims and keep trying to use really outdated machines to run TS3, honestly its better off getting a desktop that you can upgrade over the years that a laptop that is a technological dead end since it cannot easy be upgraded as a desktop.

In your cause the cause is likely the processor, I take its a AMD single core 1.8 GHz as TS3 requirements are of a 2.0 GHz processor (and they do recommend a dual core), my guess its shutting down because the processor cannot take it as the card seems fine but The Sims always demands more of processor and memory that it does of cards.

gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2009 September 27, 16:08:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

drakon, thanks for the input. Perhaps this wasn't clear. Her system is a desktop. It started as an asus barebones from newegg. Pescado's suggestion that I upgrade myself and give her my leftovers no longer works for us (though that's what we used to do) because I am in law school and need a laptop (and no longer have a desktop) so she'll be getting a fresh upgrade.

Gethane Sims
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: