More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:56:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Something is Still Borked...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Something is Still Borked...  (Read 8169 times)
amileegirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Something is Still Borked...
« on: 2009 April 20, 13:57:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I apologize for starting a new thread.  I can't find the other one.

I fix one problem and another pops up.     I've managed to get my drivers updated, fixed the unseated memory card, and things still aren't quite right.
Once I get to the family house everything is fine, BUT it takes an eternity to load up even when I take out every single hack and CC!   That doesn't seem to make sense.   I did delete the cache files as suggested (thanks to whomever suggested that.)

Yesterday, I just thought the slowdown was just a problem with having a memory grubbing program open at the same time but I've tried turing everything off and same thing (and I never had this problem before unless my CC folder was busting).
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Something is Still Borked...
« Reply #1 on: 2009 April 20, 14:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pro-tip: Click on your profile button. Click on "Show last posts" to find your thread.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 April 20, 14:20:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Define "an eternity". 

When did you notice the load time slowing down - was it potentially associated with something else you did with your game or your computer recently (i.e. change in antivirus, etc.)?

Is your system in need of a cleanup, defragmenting?

Do you have malware that may be slowing the system down generally?

Tribulatio proxima est
amileegirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 April 20, 14:34:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Define "an eternity". 

When did you notice the load time slowing down - was it potentially associated with something else you did with your game or your computer recently (i.e. change in antivirus, etc.)?

Is your system in need of a cleanup, defragmenting?

Do you have malware that may be slowing the system down generally?

ETA:    Eternity = 20-30 minutes

Sorry, I should have reiterated what went on yesterday!

I just had my motherboard and video card in my laptop replaced because they both went (2005 Inspirion E1705, xp, 2G ram-- though apparantly 1 gig wasn't seated right and I've been using the computer all this time without it).    I went from a GEforce 7600 video card to a Radeon x1400 when they made the replacements (I was under warranty for the repairs).

None of the problems I have been having occured until after the computer was repaired.  The motherboard and video card issue was very sudden...One day it worked and the next it didn't.   When I got te computer back,  I was missing drivers for the new components, and the wrong video card driver was installed after the repair...so I just had those fixed yesterday (my system still won't aknowledged its own battery though).  I periodically check my system for malware, and clean up temp files, and I had done a registry clean not that long ago, and I have removed viruses before and so things were good before the motherboard went poof.   

I have not yet done a defrag (the last one I think I did the Fall of 2008).   Thanks for that suggestions, I hadn't thought about it being so annoyed with these other issues.

« Last Edit: 2009 April 20, 14:46:56 by amileegirl » Logged
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 April 20, 14:54:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fall of 2008?  Holy heffalumps.  Defrag already.  Expect it to take all day. 
Are you sure your craptop is actually using your 2 gigs?  By that I mean, did you add the memory yourself, or did it ship with it? 
A new motherboard is a new computer, keep that in mind.

And I could not find your thread either.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 April 20, 15:19:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are 5 threads here started by amileegirl:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,4555.msg127629.html#msg127629

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,6303.msg178485.html#msg178485

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,7532.msg209737.html#msg209737

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,11718.msg329986.html#msg329986

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,13521.msg384636.html#msg384636

I did exactly what Reggikko said. Silly Snowbawl Tongue

amileegirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 April 20, 15:37:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those are all old threads.  Not new.

Snowball:   I appreciate your help.   The memory that is in it now wasn't shipped, it was upgraded by me.   Though with three laptops in this house (none of them spring chickens or the same type) apparantly I'd forgotten I had added another gig to this one sometime a year after I bought it.     One of the cards was kind of snug and so wasn't seated in there properly.  I was so irritated yesterday I opened the door to inspect the cards to see if my husband could tell me if they could be upgraded without putting me in debt, and when I put them back in the computer informed me I had added more RAM.  Huh??    So I've been playing with 1 gig since then (2007?)  even though I was supposed to have two (smacks forehead).      Oh well, the game played fine with 1 Gig with the old video card anyway Smiley

I will definitley defrag tonight.   My other system ran so well, it just got overlooked (I am usually pretty good at cleaning house)!      I ran an analysis and it really needs it.    Hopefully it will fix the ridiculous load times.

I've never had a motherboard replaced before.  You are right its a whole new system.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 April 20, 16:55:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She had one in Oops!. I remember it, because I was going to tell her to load the lot with testingcheats enabled to see if something was erroring and making it stall. Ages upon ages ago I had that issue with some flowers in a house I'd binned and placed months later. MATY has been tempermental for me lately, and after trying to post twice, I gave up.

Perhaps she hit the Delete button by accident?

Amileegirl, you should just defrag once a month to be safe. It won't take that long, and it'll keep your system running well. I do a virus scan (I'm always clean, but you never know), CleanUp! (wimps can use Windows' Clean Up), then defrag, always on the 1st of the month.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 April 20, 17:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's get real here.  There are several things wrong with the scenario here.  First, you are running TS2 on a laptop.  Even a laptop designed for gaming is going to have trouble with TS2 eventually, all the expansions, stuff packs and custom content.  Not to mention the suckyrom factor.  In all my years of gaming, I have never seen a game eat up resources like TS2.  Just minimize and open your task manager sometime.  Watch it blow everything up right before your very eyes.  Craptops do not take into account that you will most likely have this game running for HOURS.  Hours=heat=eventual meltdown of your computer.  But I know several members here run TS2 on laptops and will probably argue the point.
Second, you bought it from Dell.  Fine.  But then you have Dell service the thing (if I remember correctly).  Not fine.  Dell does not care about your computer or your needs (obviously, since they installed the wrong drivers).  Who knows if the BIOS settings are right with your new motherboard.  If you can not fix your computer yourself, I suggest finding a LOCAL tech that can.  I like mine pasty white with a spare-tire around their middle, who work out of their homes.  They need your business and will be competent.  I realize this voids all warranties, but it is entirely worth it if you want something that actually works the way you want it to.
Third, any time you add new memory (or reinstall a stick that was not seated properly), you need to make sure that your computer is using all the memory.  Just because it recognizes that you have it does not mean it is actually using it.  This can be done in the BIOS.

So now you have a new video card and a new motherboard.  You are expecting things to run exactly as they did?  Given the track record of the repair job, I would say you need to take it to a real nerd who can tweak your settings.  Other than that, I would recommend that you save for a desktop and leave your laptop for documents and interwebz.

These are just my opinions of course.

Rhayden
Retarded Reprobate

WaffleCat's ambassador to the Artichoke Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 April 20, 17:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Running TS2 on a Radeon 1400 seems like such a bad idea. Not only is the card years old, it's a mobility version that is less powerful than it's desktop version (if there is such). Not only is it a mobility version, it's a budget card, meaning it doesn't have all the performance of similar cards made by ATI at the time.

Perhaps you have incompatible RAM and it's forcing your laptop to run at lower RAM speeds as a result.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Rhayden.
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 April 20, 17:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought of that, as well.  New motherboard means that not everything might be compatible.  Is your new mobo exactly the same as your old one? 
If you added new memory...did you just plug a new stick in?  I have found with RAM, it is best to place in twos, both sticks being equal and exactly the same.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 April 20, 17:48:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right.
1) Check/ensure RAMZ are compatible with each other and with new board.
2) Wipe the system and rebuild (reload only stuff you WANT).  This will get rid of any unwanted Dell-introduced memory pigs that you didn't ask for and therefore DO NOT WANT.  It will also nicely get rid of securom, if you have it.

Tribulatio proxima est
Rhayden
Retarded Reprobate

WaffleCat's ambassador to the Artichoke Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 April 20, 18:35:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Laptops are also not really made to be upgraded. Yes, they can be, but the increases are crap. Get a desktop if you want to game and use the laptop for traveling.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Rhayden.
amileegirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 April 21, 01:00:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I defraged and made the computer happy, but now the game won't start at all!   It appears in task manager for a couple of seconds then dissapears.      ARRRGH!     I'll re-install the last expansion first to see if that fixes the problem, and then if that doesn't work the whole shebang and see if that works.   (Securom is not on my system thanks to MATY and nocd cracks)  And if that doesn't work I'll just live without it for now, the budget is too tight to have a real computer geek futz with it.

I have ALWAYS run sims on a laptop and NEVER had a problem other than an occasional problem with the game itself that a reinstall fixed.      I know Dell sucks but I can't do anything about it now as I can't afford a new system at the moment.  And I still wouldn't buy a desktop because I need the mobility.

The memory I put in goes/went with this system and is the highest upgrade I could make, I made sure of that--they are a pair that go together.   But I can't get dell to tell me details about the new or old motherboard or compatability because they are incompetent fools.   Of course if I pay a fee they'd transfer me to a higher level tech with more experience.  GRR.     I guess that information have to wait for a geek.    As far as I can tell all the memory is being used now that the other one is in there properly.    Performace has improved immensely.

Jolrei, I might reinstall windows at some point and start from scratch, but I need my computer for work right now.   But more and more it sounds like I need a completely clean slate!   

Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated!
« Last Edit: 2009 April 21, 01:13:34 by amileegirl » Logged
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 April 21, 01:34:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I defraged and made the computer happy, but now the game won't start at all!   It appears in task manager for a couple of seconds then dissapears. 

This is quite common and is caused by a corrupted game cache.

Delete Groups.cache in C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

It will be recreated when you restart the game.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
amileegirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 April 21, 02:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I defraged and made the computer happy, but now the game won't start at all!   It appears in task manager for a couple of seconds then dissapears. 

This is quite common and is caused by a corrupted game cache.

Delete Groups.cache in C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

It will be recreated when you restart the game.

You are a goddess.
I had deleted the cache file yesterday after a suggestion, but wouldnt have thought to do it again!   I'll remember now what to do when if that situation happens again!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: