More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 01:30:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  TSR Privacy Violation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TSR Privacy Violation  (Read 49657 times)
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
Re: TSR Privacy Violation
« Reply #50 on: 2009 April 01, 07:54:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wes_h = Nohead = Manga_moon

The "but...but..." argument is nearly identical, and one of those connections has already been proven.

You'll notice that I shrugged and stopped arguing with that particular  Stupid. Arguing with Stupids wastes my time, and Stupids refuse to get a clue.

You could find a series of logs, emails and screenshots of a TSR apologist admitting they raided the booty while whining about it and that they hacked some websites, and a Stupid would waste your time claiming you made it all up in Photoshop.

At some point, you shrug, go do something else that doesn't risk you getting any Stupid Cooties on you, and let Stupids marinate in their own puddles of Stupid.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 April 01, 13:59:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Baldrick:  First you marinade it in a puddle.
Blackadder: For how long?
Baldrick: Until it's drowned.

Tribulatio proxima est
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 April 01, 14:27:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I "get" that she isn't well liked. And she can come here and defend herself, I won't do so. And I stipulate that you are correct on the facts here, that she looked at stuff from other sites. Hey, the curtains are open, people can look in.

But when you go on a tirade and toss shit around that is such a weak argument, it makes all of the rest of your arguments suspect, too. Bark, bark, bark. You will note I didn't disagree with the general sentiment, just that statement. It just looks like the sort of petty, vindictive accusation that it is, one that does not enhance your overall argument.

Now that I completely diverted what we were talking about, I will add in my $0.02. Some may not know that TSR required FAs to use some free tools I made for their mesh creations. I didn't mind, because I made them for people to use. But I am tired of the sort of community destructive things that come from there, such as the idea they will make tools and not share them.

It is also no secret that I am interested in working with TS3 when it comes out. While I cannot guarantee I will be successful at that effort, betting against me is ill advised. But this time, terms and conditions will be different than in the past, via restrictive licensing. Those restrictions will not apply to items created for free distribution. The rest of the details are undecided, pending actual creation of anything new.

Yeah, I got pissed off, too. I know all of the non-TSR parties involved, it is so stupid and childish, if it wasn't so mean spirited and destructive. They pissed in their wheaties.
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 April 01, 18:12:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your main arguement appears to be that LyricLee is too stupid to know what a .rar file is.  Last time I bothered to look her stuff was .rared so that doesn't hold  up.

Doesn't speak well for either your gullibility or IQ. 
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 April 01, 20:29:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your main arguement appears to be that LyricLee is too stupid to know what a .rar file is. 

No, I was pointing out that Lorelei's basis for characterizing Lyric Lee as a pirate herself relies on a weak connection, and looks like it was born from animosity. You no more have proven that from those logs than you could say that someone who picked up an item lost on a street and looked at it was in posession of stolen property. There is no other way to examine the contents of the booty, or even see the index of a RAR file, except to get them onto your own computer. You cannot assume she automatically took those files, placed them in downloads and tried them out merely from the logs.

You attack those people with which you do not agree, and when your arguments fail, you resort to name calling, as always. The behavior matches children on a playground, bereft of adult supervision. The next step will be putting your fingers in your ears and pretending I am not here, as you do with Celestard, and go running to your daddy to ask him to make me go away.

Grow up.

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 April 01, 20:50:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you truly believe that LyricLee downloaded the number of files that she did, from the number of sites that she did, just to look at the contents, then it is you with fingers in your ears. If she had only downloaded her own files, or only a few, your argument may have been plausible. To use your own analogy, this is like finding someone with stolen goods on a daily basis. I might give that person the benefit of the doubt once or twice, but after that I would get suspicious.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 April 01, 21:31:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found this quite amusing to read: http://www.thesimsresource.com/articles/myths I take it it's a bad April Fool's joke?
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 April 01, 22:25:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you truly believe that LyricLee downloaded the number of files that she did, from the number of sites that she did, just to look at the contents, then it is you with fingers in your ears. If she had only downloaded her own files, or only a few, your argument may have been plausible. To use your own analogy, this is like finding someone with stolen goods on a daily basis. I might give that person the benefit of the doubt once or twice, but after that I would get suspicious.

That is good enough. I am not going to start counting log events, or attempt to determine if "daily basis" is correct or an exaggeration. I will, however, concede that I was wrong about this being an indefensible characterization. I still think it is useless in an argument about Thomas' behavior, which is where it was cited.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 April 01, 22:34:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that I completely diverted what we were talking about, I will add in my $0.02. Some may not know that TSR required FAs to use some free tools I made for their mesh creations. I didn't mind, because I made them for people to use. But I am tired of the sort of community destructive things that come from there, such as the idea they will make tools and not share them.

That has always bothered me.  That most if not all of the tools for creating custom content where freely shared, and here they are making a profit off them.  

This is like the irony of Walt Disney getting the government to extend copyright laws so they can go on milking profits from stories they got from the public domain in the first place.  That's like shitting in your own bathtub.

cascaneda
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 April 02, 00:37:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am just wondering : All of you have an account at TSR ?
Why ?
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 April 02, 00:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is good enough. I am not going to start counting log events, or attempt to determine if "daily basis" is correct or an exaggeration. I will, however, concede that I was wrong about this being an indefensible characterization. I still think it is useless in an argument about Thomas' behavior, which is where it was cited.

You know, Kutto really didn't say anything that Lorelei hadn't already stated, he merely rephrased what Lorelei had said.  When Lorelei says it, you claim it "looks like it was born from animosity", and when Kutto says it, you say "that is good enough".

My spider senses are detecting some animosity here, but it's not from Lorelei.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 April 02, 02:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, Kutto really didn't say anything that Lorelei hadn't already stated, he merely rephrased what Lorelei had said.  When Lorelei says it, you claim it "looks like it was born from animosity", and when Kutto says it, you say "that is good enough".

My spider senses are detecting some animosity here, but it's not from Lorelei.

I don't give a crap about LyricLee, beyond being well aware of her nuttiness. Also, the Army of Twelves prodded into attacking Delphy and trying to recruit Pescado (all because LL got caught being an asshat, repeatedly, was removed from her position of pseudopower, and was out for revenge for her hurt butt) was lulz. I think I still have the logs. Medico FTL.

I have no animosity towards LL. I think she's a big LOLcow, that's all.

As for Stupid being inconsistent about accepting the same info from different sources, I believe I have hurt wes_h's little feelings in the past, or something. I probably used logic and/or facts to poke a pin in one of his rants, but I don't remember. He apparently does.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 April 02, 05:06:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, Lorelei, you called me stupid right here in this thread.

You'll notice that I shrugged and stopped arguing with that particular  Stupid.

What happened in the past is past. I forget the crap soon enough; I can't even remember the handle of the gal that called me a pseudonym for a penis, which, while I have one is not the center of my existence. My original point was that your argument is weakened when you use weak points in it, but having said it with my usual grace and charm, I ignited an argument over whether the point is or isn't true enough. I agree with most of the sentiment expressed in the thread, which originally revolved around Thomas and the events reported about BuggyBooz's account at MTS2.

So feel free to call some more names if you wish. I intent to give up on the issue with this post.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 2009 April 02, 07:20:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why ?

TSR hosts all my lots for me free of charge and people can find them to download.  From a very narrow perspective, that works well for me; it's much less effort than running my own website and dealing with downloaders &/or hackers.  They aren't charging me or anyone who downloads my lots.  I downloaded a lot of stuff from TSR free when I played Sims1 and also when I only had base game for Sims2.  I didn't feel guilty about wasting their bandwith; actually I didn't know what bandwidth was back then.  So when I had some lots I quite liked, I put them there - seemed like a fair exchange.  They're there forever now.  I like the challenges and challenge wizard too.  If I was starting over with my rather higher knowledge level, I still want someone else to host them. 

I guess I'm one of those people who always sees grey instead of black and white.   TSR provide a web hosting service and you could argue that they are charging for that as much as the downloads.  The amount - well that's a different story.

btw I'm on holiday now for a couple of weeks

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 April 02, 07:51:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an account on TSR because in my early and naive days of TS2 it was one of the first fansites I stumbled upon, and I even had a pay subscription over there.

I have an account on TSR now, because I can't delete it. It's like catholic baptism: once you've got one, you can't resign nor change your mind, forever and ever.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 April 02, 08:02:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I got my account on TSR it was still part of Mgon, and free with ads.  When they transferred to the new system my account went with it.  And, as has been repeated, you can't delete any account with them and they don't winnow out unused ones.  This is probably to keep their advertising accounts fooled into thinking they have more actual traffic than they have.  "We have a million bazillion members!!  Pay us monies!!"
MissQ
Blathering Buffoon

More Unco Than You!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 April 02, 15:15:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a sub many years ago, but stopped when I discovered simsfilevault. Even if I wanted stuff from The Shit Repository, I would rather get it clean from the booty. Cwykes: do you know if they watermark your free lots?

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 April 02, 15:27:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why ?

TSR hosts all my lots for me free of charge and people can find them to download.  From a very narrow perspective, that works well for me; it's much less effort than running my own website and dealing with downloaders &/or hackers.  They aren't charging me or anyone who downloads my lots.  I downloaded a lot of stuff from TSR free when I played Sims1 and also when I only had base game for Sims2.  I didn't feel guilty about wasting their bandwith; actually I didn't know what bandwidth was back then.  So when I had some lots I quite liked, I put them there - seemed like a fair exchange.  They're there forever now.  I like the challenges and challenge wizard too.  If I was starting over with my rather higher knowledge level, I still want someone else to host them. 

I guess I'm one of those people who always sees grey instead of black and white.   TSR provide a web hosting service and you could argue that they are charging for that as much as the downloads.  The amount - well that's a different story.

btw I'm on holiday now for a couple of weeks
MTS2 does this as well, and you don't have to worry about your lots getting marked as subscriber only. You also don't get the bad taste in your mouth. As for the challenges...it's a good concept. They can be fun. Recently, I downloaded every challenge onto my test account and created a 'hood for all. I then realized that many of the lots were packaged with tombstones and with stray bits of data about those dead sims. The 'hood never made it to my main account, and I did a good cleaning of the test one just in case. I also don't trust their challenge wizard. Due to all the other instances of privacy violation they've been caught in, you never know just what data they are gathering.

Anyways, I have an account (which I can no longer access because they went back on their word) there, unpaid at this point, for the same reasons Marhis did. I no longer go there on a regular basis. Actually, it's probably been at least six months since I've gotten anything that originated at the site. My downloading overall is down just because I have so much stuff already. I really only check MTS2, 4ESF, Holy Simoly, and Mango Sims2 anymore.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 April 02, 21:54:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, this Thomas person sounds like a slimy toad frog.  Angry

Why don't somebody fire him or is he an owner of TSR?    I am through with them because I don't want any spyware in my downloads.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 April 02, 22:08:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why don't somebody fire him or is he an owner of TSR? 
He is the owner, Thomas is the one who pulls all the shots.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: 2009 April 03, 18:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TSR hosts all my lots for me free of charge and people can find them to download.  From a very narrow perspective, that works well for me; it's much less effort than running my own website and dealing with downloaders &/or hackers.  They aren't charging me or anyone who downloads my lots.

They aren't charging, but they profit from it nonetheless whenever someone who downloads your stuff sees advertisements on the page -- something that wouldn't bug me much if they just stuck with advertisers to make money. 

When I got sick of their greed, I moved to MTS2.  Continuing to upload stuff to TSR would have easily been seen as an endorsement.

SendMeLies
Blathering Buffoon

See if I care.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 April 03, 19:19:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Total noob contribution to the drama: use the right tools.
www.evernote.com  and take snapshots. You can share the snapshots. And it is free.

Back to lurking mode.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: 2009 April 03, 20:49:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am through with them because I don't want any spyware in my downloads.
Normally I don't get involved in the TSR related drama, but I am sick of the tracking method TSR used a while back (it has since been discontinued so far as I know) being called spyware. Get your facts straight, people! Spyware is much more malicious than what TSR put into the package files. All TSR put into the packages was the user ID, IP address, and date that the package was downloaded. (And they have come out saying they did so here.) That's it, and it had no effect on the packages when placed in the game that I ever saw. Plus, what they stored in the packages is less than what is kept in some cookies you get from nearly every website you go to. So don't call it spyware. Unless you consider cookies spyware, in which case, go ahead, but that doesn't make it right.

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Yecats
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 April 03, 22:19:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am through with them because I don't want any spyware in my downloads.
All TSR put into the packages was the user ID, IP address, and date that the package was downloaded. (And they have come out saying they did so here.) That's it, and it had no effect on the packages when placed in the game that I ever saw. Plus, what they stored in the packages is less than what is kept in some cookies you get from nearly every website you go to.

They put that info IN, but removing it makes the item unusable.  By re-downloading their items from the booty, TSR are getting the user name, the ip and the PERSONAL INFORMATION of that downloader, and then breeching privacy laws by posting those details in the forum.  Then they ban that user for being a "Pirate". 

It may not be "spyware" but it's horrendous that there is something added to the file regardless.

A techie friend of mine has mentioned that the data may be at the beginning or the end of the file, surrounded by junk code in order to disguise it, due to it being harder to insert into the middle than it is to insert at either end.  If the "watermark" was removed and replaced with junkdata containing the same checksum the file might work.

ENTP = Mad Scientist.  Muwaahaahaa.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2009 April 04, 00:28:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They put that info IN, but removing it makes the item unusable.
Bull. You have no idea how package files work do you? As a matter of fact, the Compressorizer removed the watermark when it recompressed the package (initially anyhow, it did change at some point), leaving the package intact and usable.

By re-downloading their items from the booty, TSR are getting the user name, the ip and the PERSONAL INFORMATION of that downloader, and then breeching privacy laws by posting those details in the forum.  Then they ban that user for being a "Pirate". 

It may not be "spyware" but it's horrendous that there is something added to the file regardless.
Personal information from an IP and a timestamp. Right. Granted they cross-checked and figured out who it was, and then posted their email address and username in the private staff forum. Hardly a breech of privacy laws. But whatever. If you have a problem with your details being added to the package files you download from TSR for your use, then don't download from the site. Tongue

A techie friend of mine has mentioned that the data may be at the beginning or the end of the file, surrounded by junk code in order to disguise it, due to it being harder to insert into the middle than it is to insert at either end.  If the "watermark" was removed and replaced with junkdata containing the same checksum the file might work.
Your techie friend doesn't know anything about the package format either, does he?
« Last Edit: 2009 April 04, 00:34:36 by jfade » Logged

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: