More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 00:19:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  EAxis house of Phail: March 09
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EAxis house of Phail: March 09  (Read 98538 times)
jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: EAxis house of Phail: March 09
« Reply #50 on: 2009 March 10, 08:23:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the ballroom too. The chandelier has finally found its place, and is looking good. I like the ceiling you've put in the upstairs ballroom. It's unusual, but it works. If my sims could be bothered to get married, this is where they'd do it alright.
devilsrope
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 March 10, 14:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, guys. I'm pleased the ballroom is a hit, as it's my favorite room as well. In my testing I was able to use the wedding arch, as you mentioned, parrot. My problem was getting my outing-mates to behave (no luck). I just winged it though, so I'll do a search and see what I can find to make it a better experience next time. And, witch, that castle is beautiful, and the landscape view on the front page of its website really sells it. I'm getting an itch to visit NZ now.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 March 12, 21:15:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was obviously wrong.  I thought that we would see a lot of interesting entries for this month, even though the existing building is huge.  Looks like people are stalled on this one.  So, I vote that we avoid big buildings in the future.  Small buildings on a big lot, however, are still fair game.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 March 12, 22:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think we should rule out any particular type of building, otherwise we'll all simply stay in our comfort zone, and get more and more samey.  I know I tend to build all the same type of house, left to my own devices, so I like the fact that, for this challenge only, I've got to think about building round stupid trees, or keeping a path I'd rather build over. It's having irksome restrictions that make you try something different, and let you see ideas others have to get round the same difficulty.  Mistyk's and devilsrope's houses this month are amongst the best we've ever seen, I think, and it would be a shame to automatically rule out having anything like them in the future.

We're not going to be able to suit everyone every time, but if we have variety, everyone gets suited eventually.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 12, 22:09:30 by jim » Logged
Bugger
Lipless Loser

off on another strange Bugger tangent...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 March 12, 23:37:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have big plans for the lot, I just haven't had time to build in it yet.

<Dark_Trepie> Booty's go OHHH!. Pirate Booty's go ARRR!
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 March 13, 08:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the exterior, but not the grounds, done. I'm starting the interior decorating this weekend. It might just be taking people longer this month because it's a bigger lot.

I agree we should keep a variety. I've been really bored with the lots the last couple of months but still made lots I can use which I wouldn't have made in that way left to my own devices.

ETA:
« Last Edit: 2009 March 13, 09:30:06 by witch » Logged

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 March 13, 14:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That looks great, witch

I'm trying not to look too closely at the pictures, to save myself from inadvertantly copying someone else's entry.  Hoever, I think everyone is doing a great job with the exteriors and verandas (I adore the walls and windows on mistyk's). devilsrope, that community lot is amazing!

buny
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 March 13, 22:22:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First time posting here.  I had a try at this house and this is the result:

Download
http://www.box.net/shared/5fb1xzmu98
« Last Edit: 2009 March 13, 22:55:55 by buny » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 March 13, 22:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi Buny. You've certainly made a grand mansion, but I have to ask, were you feeling a little blue?  Tongue  I like your cluttered homelike look, even though it's a posh place. BTW you can improve your pictures if you use a program like Gadwin to take them.

I've got the same stairs in the main entrance and I was really peeved there was so little depth to the area. I wanted to set the stairs further back from the entrance. Actually, what I really wanted to do was create a mezzanine with curved stairs on either side, but EAxis didn't make the opposite curve.  Angry

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
buny
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 March 13, 23:01:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for commenting and I'll try the print screen program.

As for the house the Dining room was already blue , I really didn't change anything there.  Blue is my favored color though and it's a calming color, it's suggested for bedrooms to help you sleep better, not sure if that works though. 

What has always bothered me about this house is that for such a big house it had only one bedroom and that humongous office what a total waste of space, and as unlikeable as Landgrabb might be he needs children to keep the line going.
ajcrawly
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 March 14, 06:32:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My computer really didn't like this house -- I needs more RAMS!!  (Hopefully I should be getting some soon.)

Anyway here is my attempt at this months house.  Pictures are not the best --  I got a new mouse and for some reason Gadwin is not working correctly with it.   

Front of the house, with Side Hedge Maze.

Back of the house.

Side Hedge maze and pond

2nd Floor; Master bedroom, child/teen bedroom, full nursery, baby rooms, and nanny bedroom.  With terrace playground.

1st Floor; Library, Dining room, kitchen, chef/cook bedroom, entrance way, TV room, and child/teen bedroom.

I couldn't play-test this because my computer was very unhappy with just the house, I could only imagine how it would do with Sims. So I hope everything is functional.  I did test the pool to make sure access to all parts was successful.

download here http://www.mediafire.com/?d4y4o4j2mqw

I have all EP's and SP's.   

"We've been rehearsing a classic from antiquity, Green Eggs and Hamlet, the story of a young prince of Denmark who goes mad, drowns his girlfriend, and in his remorse, forces spoiled breakfast on all whom he meets." — Christopher Moore (Fool)
chobeegal
Exasperating Eyesore

And there shall be blood!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 March 15, 09:04:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll upload photo slideshow tomorrow later today (as I'm literally falling asleep at my desk at the moment).

It is now "later" so--Here is link to slideshow...
http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/chobeegal_photos/March09/?albumview=slideshow

Here are some pics too...

Front shots of the house...

This is a shot of the back of the house...

Upper level layout...

This is the children's wing...

Girl's room...

Boy's room...

Master suite...

Lower level layout...

Diningroom/Kitchen...

Livingroom/Entry...

Pool...

I assumed that the wall between the main house and the "Poolroom" could be treated as an "interior" wall and I made some changes to its positioning without eliminating it.

Home floral business...

I did have to use a tiny amount of CC in order to achieve the result I wanted.
Windkeeper's merokkanchair
Menaceman44's CeilingLightFix
Nik24X7's dining chair recolors
Several floors (decks) from AVENIDA.

Here is the link to my house for this month; it was too big for MATY upload restrictions to allow. Hopefully the link works.
http://www.box.net/shared/b7mbl6bg4r
« Last Edit: 2009 March 15, 22:32:47 by chobeegal » Logged

originalhalf
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 March 15, 16:44:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everyone is doing far better than me.  This one is frustrating and I'm trying not to steal incorporate the things I see here.

High Priestess of The Way of the Son of Perdition
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 March 15, 21:44:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh oh can I play?

When I saw this lot I thought of a Lodge right away, and since I need a lodge in my hood I figured I would give it a go. It is called Two-Bears Lodge in my neighborhood "Hinkley Lake" but I renamed it to Gonway Lodge so I could keep track of it for uploading purposes.

Gonway Lodge
The ground floor houses the front desk, a restaurant off to one side and the pool and game room off to the other side, an elevator ride down takes you to the club to blow off steam and chat up the other guests.

The second floor contains the media/office room and a conference room which really is just a room you can rent to have a wedding, complete with banquet set up. On the other side of the second floor is the gym overlooking the pool as well as a covered terrace for the munchkins to play on. A second terrace lies between the amenities overlooking the front of the lodge for coffee and a break from the rest of the hubbub on the floor.

The third floor features accommodations to fit most family sizes, all rooms have phones, a bookcase, seating and private bathes with closets should the weather change leaving your current attire unsuitable. This floor also features a honeymoon suite with amenities such as a mini fridge, coffee bar, smoke alarm (should it get too hot in the room!) and phone as well as a private bath so you never have to leave the room.

The fourth and final floor features two full service penthouse suites for sims with larger families or who need to get away from the rest of the guests.
Also on the grounds is one detached quest house for a sim whose idea of a getaway is to get back to the greenhouse and simplicity. My original thought was a caretaker sim but since you can't run a hotel as a home business (well you can, just not without cc) it got turned into a guest house type room. Moving on...

The back "yard" has a small pond that is fishable and features a fountain, however not a lot of the yard is accessible; it's mainly for looks and to lag the crap out of your box.

Lot was play tested and everything appears functional. Accommodations range from 557 to 2711 per night. I didn't have any issues with the elevators since there are two and at one point there were 17 sims on the lot moving between the floors and they all seemed fine.

*Good luck if you have a slow low speckled rig..

http://www.nectere.net/TLSnet/Dropbox/thelocker/GonwayLodge.rar

Moar pics:
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/nectere/Sims2%20Stuff/gonwaylodge/?albumview=slideshow
jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 March 16, 08:36:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@chobeegal. Well, I'm not surprised your computer struggled. You're going to need to sell a lot of plants to pay the team of gardeners you'll be needing.

Likes: that clinical kitchen, which is such a contrast to all the exuberance going on outside; the whole bedroom floor. Your master bedroom area looks so luxurious, and I particularly like details such as lit closets, and layered curtains.

Not sure about: is that a hole in the middle of the front balcony? It looks a bit risky.

@ Nectere. This is so much better than any holiday hotel my sims have been to. It seems to have everything, peace, raveup, bathing, playground poised above a watery grave, and companionable fishing while you wait for it to happen.

Likes: The little guest house, which looks almost Shakerish next to the rugged log construction; the contrast between the manicured front garden and the wild terrain at the back - just love that wilderness.

Not sure about: is log cabin construction safe over four floors? I'd want to get a structural engineer in before attempting that room over the front balcony.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 March 16, 15:20:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@jim !sprog death to frog grave! Arrrrrrrhhhhhhh...oops. Oh well gotta feed those fish somehow.  Heh, I thought about structural support actually, hence the post beam construction on the front, did you see the post and beams holding up the balcony and the honeymoon suite? Actually they are kinda hard to see against the floor color but honest they are there! Anyway thanks this was great! baaaaaaa
chobeegal
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 March 16, 16:34:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@chobeegal. Well, I'm not surprised your computer struggled. You're going to need to sell a lot of plants to pay the team of gardeners you'll be needing.

Grin LOL You got me confused with ajcrawly.
My PC had no problem with this house. I haz a shitload of RAM (3Gigs) now and gonna add 1Gig more soon. I do see your point about the drag though and would definitely suggest anyone with a slower 'puter do some major "surgery" before attempting playing this lot.
In reality, I would probably not play a lot this large at all. I much prefer the mini-lots (1X?), long and narrow. They are a challenge to build on too.
As for the plants though, when I play I use a gardening hack for any plants I keep anyway. My Sims find it annoying to have to tend their own flowers etc. or to pay a gardener.

Likes: that clinical kitchen, which is such a contrast to all the exuberance going on outside; the whole bedroom floor. Your master bedroom area looks so luxurious, and I particularly like details such as lit closets, and layered curtains.
Not sure about: is that a hole in the middle of the front balcony? It looks a bit risky.
Thank-you for your complements on the interior decor. I do try to keep that more simple for ease of navigation for my Sims. I really don't like the style of the Maxis curtains and the only way to do much to remedy it without using a lot of CC is to layer what is available. And I HATE dark closets in RL, hence the lighting in the Sims' ones.

No, that is not a hole in either balcony. I has a "grid" in it (which I matched underneath with the "ceiling"). The "grid" tile is one of the listed CC items I used.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 16, 16:51:18 by chobeegal » Logged

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: 2009 March 16, 21:15:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My version, 3 double bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, first floor nursery. All EPs/SPs, no CC, costs §188k. Stupid verandah and pool remain. Some pics:

Front:

Basement (showing pool and garage):

First floor:

Second floor:

Back of lot:

I will add more pictures if I don't forget.

Download.

jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 March 16, 22:32:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

;My PC had no problem with this house. I haz a shitload of RAM (3Gigs) now and gonna add 1Gig more soon.

I'm jealous.
chobeegal
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 March 16, 22:42:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm jealous.

Do you have XP? If you do check this out: Windows XP Game Optimization Tips @http://www.simwardrobe.com/. It really speeds things up without adding any actual RAM. By doing this I have the equivalent of about 6-7 Gigs of RAM.
Incidentally, I found out this also works for VISTA, though it's easier to just stick in a flash drive for ready boost with VISTA.

jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 March 18, 13:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is just a silly lot, which I don't really think anyone will want to play. In fact, I think it's pretty much unplayable, because the sight lines are just terrible. I'm just posting it for a laugh. It's big, it's ugly, it's not cheap.

NeverEverLand

It comes in at $182,953, but it is intended for the pop idol sector of the market, so it's quite reasonable from that point of view.

It offers:
Ground floor: elegant if showy dining room, with lockable kitchen off; bathroom; spacious entry hall with musical possibilities, and games table adjoining; TV lounge with the homework desk (though children leaving the chair to the right will find themselves trapped behind the settee); pool/hot tub. There is a separate nursery annexe with room for two babies.

First floor: spacious master bedroom, with (unlit) bathroom en suite [the client I had in mind for this would possibly prefer his bathroom unlit]; twin kids' room with bathroom and separate toilet en suite, opening on to a playground terrace; connecting terrace between the bedrooms, with toys, games and snack machines; landing area has chess table and bookcase, for skilling.

Roof area: bar and seating; bubble blower; fruit bar; telescope; exercise sphere; loungers.

Mature trees give the garden privacy. There is a secluded fishing pond, fruit trees and a spa, to cater for all tastes, and a helipad, for those quick getaways.

It has to be said, the whole place is a bit dark, and needs much more lighting. At night it's downright gloomy. I haven't bothered to go in and light it more, because I really don't think anyone's likely to try playing it.

Sample shots:
Back:

Entrance hall:

Master bedroom

Landing:

I have all EPs and M&G SP. Clean installer checked.

Slideshow here: http://tinyurl.com/dyecc6
Download here: http://tinyurl.com/648pyj

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009 March 18, 16:06:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is just a silly lot, which I don't really think anyone will want to play.

Rubbish.  This lot is great - my simworlds are hardly "realistic", and gaudy is sometimes the way to go.  I don't think it's ugly (although I probably wouldn't decorate my IRL house like that).  I quite like the rooftop terrace ideas.  I have just the sim for this house (although he's gonna have to work a bit to raise the necessary purchase capital).

Landing:

And the "guy" on the landing looks like me (although "he" has no dress sense whatsoever).   Grin 
Will download later.

Tribulatio proxima est
mistyk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009 March 18, 22:18:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jim I love this lot. Its perfect for my eccentric family in Strangetown

Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009 March 19, 00:10:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's Apartments!

Notes: Tested-  the landing for the penthouse was easily congested due to move-in excitement (landlord, new neighbors, gypsy, Mr. Humble...).  I included a download for the residential version so you can fiddle with the lay-out without having to use cheats, if you so desire.  I have all EP's, SP's Pre-Orders and Store Stuffs.

Lot View:

Penthouse:  3 Bed/2 Bath, nursery and enclosed porch. 
Rent:  $2,541

1A: 3 Bed (2 Bed/1 Nursery)/2 Bath, space in lower level for crafting stations/aspiration rewards and an open porch.
Rent: $2,494

1B: 3 Bed (2 Bed/1 Nursery)/2 Bath, space in lower level for crafting stations/aspiration rewards and an open porch
Rent: $2,396

Garage: 1 Bed/1Bath
Rent: $809

Common Areas: Pool/Gym with access to large veranda, Basketball court and playground.

Download: 
It's Apartments! Apartments
It's Apartments! Residential
jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009 March 19, 21:15:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that you've given the lot a modern feel, but with very conventional materials. It looks ecologically sound, somehow

I particularly like the way you've added a wall to the balcony/landing on the top floor. It gives you a much better roofline, which was a real problem with this house. The wooden ceilings were a new idea to me, and they look good with those brick walls. I'm less keen on the idea of a bedroom and bathroom without windows; it would feel very claustrophobic to me. I'd definitely splurge the extra $50 a week for the penthouse.  The 'garage' apartment looks like a good starter apartment. It's very affordable, but stylish and comfortably furnished. 

It will look good in my sensible neighbourhood.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: