More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 19:53:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sims 2 and Windows 7
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims 2 and Windows 7  (Read 146777 times)
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
Sims 2 and Windows 7
« on: 2009 January 20, 00:45:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did a search for Windows 7, but got tons of listings under just Windows and things with the number 7 in it.

Actually, I'm just wondering if anyone has fully tested out the Sims 2 expansions and stuff with Windows 7, and how well (or not) it's working.  So far, I am hearing good things about Windows 7 and that it is very stable for a Beta release.  I'd like to know what the community here thinks.
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Sims 2 and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: 2009 January 21, 04:29:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have windows 7 too but have not tested it yet, at the moment I am running duel OS and I have to reinstall sims 2 but have moved and cant find my game disks. Is there a way of getting the sims to work with out installing them again.
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 January 21, 06:21:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have windows 7 too but have not tested it yet, at the moment I am running duel OS and I have to reinstall sims 2 but have moved and cant find my game disks. Is there a way of getting the sims to work with out installing them again.

Oh sure. Just copy over all the program files, then go into the registry and hand-enter all the entries for the sims, both the obvious ones and the hidden ones, in hex. Don't forget to make any changes that might be necessary to account for the differences between your current edition of windows and windows 7!
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 January 21, 06:29:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or just get the "arrr" versions.    Grin
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 January 23, 01:15:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...or just stick with Windows XP, a time-tested, well-supported alternative to Windows Vista 2.0
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 January 23, 02:21:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
TheDr
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 February 09, 13:00:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have tried windows 7 with the sims 2 and all expansions and it works fine no problems as of yet  Wink
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 February 21, 01:06:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Which is why I never got Vista.  W7, on the other hand, has my interest.  I may wait to see how it fares in the community before moving to it.  There are some features that would be nice to have such as 64 bit support, support for multi core processors, better memory management, and DX10.  XP is working well for me now, though, and probably for several more years.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 21, 12:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Windoze 7" disturbs me. For one, nobody seems to be bothered to bash it, which immediately raises my suspicions. It seems inconceivable that a new Windoze can exist that runs everything perfectly, so the credibility of all these early reviewers is immediately suspect. I suspect they all drank the Kool-Aid. There is simply no possible way NOTHING can be wrong.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 February 21, 18:38:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Considering the pattern Windows OS's have followed over the years 7 may become the new XP.

Windows 95 - Sucked
Windows 98 - Good
Windows ME - Sucked
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Sucked
Windows 7 - ??

Only time can tell.  But if the pattern holds....
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 February 21, 18:59:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My personal experiences with Vista indicate that the suckage is fiixable, Microsoft just cannot get beyond the idea that they might have to actually admit a failure with UAC and change it, because they have clearly lost with their present posture of "training the users".

A few small changes and Vista works a lot better. Nuke UAC completely (Unsafe? XP had no such critter) and then change the permissions on the directory links such as "My Documents" (which just points to "Documents"). These two steps eliminate 99% of the aggravating stuffs that pops up anytime you try to organize anything.

As far as the resources, yes, Vista uses a lot. The philosophy is that RAM is cheap, so just go ahead and load everything instead of waiting until someone clicks on something. And startup is faster and cleaner because many services and modules are deferred and continue to load after your desktop is ready.

However, at this point I believe that Vista's reputation is irreparable. For all I see, Windows 7 is just Vista already fixed. Of course, Microsoft gets to charge us all over again for doing so. I think I am going to stick with Vista unless I get a newer box.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 February 22, 01:12:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I heard that Microsuck might hand out 7 for free to vista users.

Mind you I don't think I will believe that bull as there has to be a catch.

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
zsangel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 February 23, 00:07:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, at this point I believe that Vista's reputation is irreparable. For all I see, Windows 7 is just Vista already fixed. Of course, Microsoft gets to charge us all over again for doing so. I think I am going to stick with Vista unless I get a newer box.

That's my philosophy.  ^_^  I wouldn't have got Vista in the first place if it wasn't that I had to buy a new computer.  So as long as this one stays in working order, I'll be just fine.  I have no intention of switching over to Windows 7.
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 February 23, 07:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pssh. Getting a new computer is not an excuse for having Vista. I bought a new rig in January and I'm running XP.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 February 23, 14:21:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why on EARTH would it cost you EXTRA? If anything, cutting out the OS can only cost LESS, because you are NOT BUYING AN OS. I mean, when you buy a computer, one of two things happens:
1. They give you Vista for free. Therefore, you get nothing back, but you pay nothing extra, for simply reformatting the computer (you should always do it anyway!)
2. They charge you for Vista. By buying the computer EMPTY, you therefore do not pay this Vista cost, and save money. You now have an empty computer to install XP on.

How exactly would this cost EXTRA? Are you INSANE? Do you FAIL AT MATH?

vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 February 24, 05:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Considering the pattern Windows OS's have followed over the years 7 may become the new XP.

Windows 95 - Sucked
Windows 98 - Good
Windows ME - Sucked
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Sucked
Windows 7 - ??

Only time can tell.  But if the pattern holds....

You know I almost agreed with you... except Windows 98 sucked arse.  Blue Screens of Death were so common I could almost set my watch to it.  Then the system practically imploded with 4 BSODs in 15 minutes, and convinced me to upgrade to Windows XP.

As for Vista... meh.  It's there.  Doesn't seem to be causing any problems.  Only annoyance was the 'Are you SURE you want to run that program you just clicked download, and then double clicked on?  Are you SURE about that?  Why don't we ask the administrator, who is you anyway?  Hi AdminYou!  Do you want to let You run this program that You downloaded and then double clicked on?  Yes?  Ok, we'll do that then.'  And that can be turned off.

Oh and when I was looking at new computers, pre-installed XP cost more than pre-installed Vista.

<insert witty comment here>
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 February 24, 11:32:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So don't preinstall. I mean, you already have a computer. You already have XP. Besides, you should never PAY for preinstalled anyway! You'd just have to wipe and format it anyway, as who knows what spyware they embedded?

Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 February 24, 13:34:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never really used 98.  I know people who've used 98 SE and said good things about it.  Guess I should've clarified. 

My first computer had ME on it.  Oh, the horror...

ETA:  The machine I'm using now came with Vista.  Getting XP was the easy part (ARRR!).  Pumping it full of drivers so it would install on a system that didn't use the old IDE drives was the PITA.
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 February 24, 14:22:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't even aware it was possible to buy a computer without a pre-installed OS. When I got this computer, I spent half a day getting rid of all the bloat it came with. Why would I need Desktop SMS? If I had known this could be avoided so easily and that it would probably be cheaper...

My first computer had Windows 98. It worked, and the design was nice.

INEPT INTP
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2009 February 24, 14:35:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I held on to Win 98 for as long as I possibly could. I liked it. By the time I replaced that computer, all the secondhand ones around were already on XP, which I've been using ever since, even paying extra to get it on my new PC last year instead of Vista.

Win98 caused me fewer problems than XP, which also has been mostly flawless. The biggest 'issues' have been with compatibility for older games. (GRRR at Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire. The patches are what broke it, the patches that were rolled into the CD version I was trying to install from. I had to 'pirate' it to get an XP-working version.) Said issues are more than enough to convince me to not go newer, at any cost.

ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 February 28, 06:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I spent a little more on my computer, total, this time, because I had it built for me by someone who understood what I was talking about instead of either frankensteining odd old bits (my usual method) or buying a cheap discontinued computer at discount (what I did 2ce and regretted it both times).  But the Xp part didn't cost more than the Vista part would have.  I like Xp and I have no need to get the latest shiny as a general thing.  I'm not against innovations, I'm just in no hurry.  I just got this computer and I'll have it five years or maybe more, depending. Then we'll see what's happening in Windows-type OSes at the time.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2009 February 28, 08:04:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never really used 98.  I know people who've used 98 SE and said good things about it.  Guess I should've clarified. 
Every single Windows 9x version suffers from BSOD, and 98 was no exception. 98 SE was the best of the bunch only in a comparative sense.

I wasn't even aware it was possible to buy a computer without a pre-installed OS.
In Korea, there are lots of "computer assembly shops", where you can select parts and pay a small optional fee to have your purchased parts assembled. You can also avoid being foisted with sub-standard parts, provided you do a little research beforehand.
Those "assembled computers" are cheaper than name brand computers like Samsung or LG, because OS price is not included. They arrive in a blank state without any OS or spyware installed. It's a nice alternative for people who don't want to pay extra for the redundant OS but are unable to assemble parts themselves.

Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 February 28, 10:27:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have all EP/SP installed. Windows 7 running on the lappy, and it is working fine. CEP, SimPE, and Clean Pack Installer all working as they should. I like W7.
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 February 28, 11:47:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those "assembled computers" are cheaper than name brand computers like Samsung or LG, because OS price is not included. They arrive in a blank state without any OS or spyware installed. It's a nice alternative for people who don't want to pay extra for the redundant OS but are unable to assemble parts themselves.

I'll look out for something along the lines of this when the time comes where I need to buy a new computer. But... is assembling the parts yourself terribly hard?
As I understand, quite a few of the MATYans have built their own boxes. Is it difficult? Can it be done if one has a tech-savvy family member to guide and help?

INEPT INTP
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2009 February 28, 12:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll look out for something along the lines of this when the time comes where I need to buy a new computer. But... is assembling the parts yourself terribly hard?
As I understand, quite a few of the MATYans have built their own boxes. Is it difficult? Can it be done if one has a tech-savvy family member to guide and help?
I wouldn't say it's terribly hard. PC parts are so standardized that you can do most of steps with a single driver. There are many tutorials which will give you a general idea on the standardized process. I've done it the first time all by myself, with a tutorial print-out and parts manuals. But it's much better to have someone experienced around, especially for installing CPUs. Failure to apply heatsink or to secure fans properly can fry your CPU to death.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: