More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 23:37:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sharable Custom set of townies?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sharable Custom set of townies?  (Read 21917 times)
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
Sharable Custom set of townies?
« on: 2009 January 15, 00:37:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since so many of us use the clean templates and hate the MAXIS fugly townies...

Is it possible to make up a custom set of townies that can be traded between other neighborhoods?

For example:

Create empty neighborhood.

Make dozens of townies.

Makes dozens of Vacation Locals.

Make 1 or 2 NPCs.

Now you're hood is ready to go. So, in theory, can you make a copy of the character folder for use in other games and/or other empty hoods? So that you don't have to go through the long drawn out process of creating 30+ townies? Also provides the added bonus of being able to share a MATY cast of characters that are ready to go, just plop down in the characters folder and viola!

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
rosess
Dimwitted Dunce

I caught you a deelishus bass

View Profile
Re: Sharable Custom set of townies?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 January 15, 01:34:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Madame Mim has neighborhoods at Genensims that seem to do this.  I keep planning to try them, but haven't yet.  This is, admittedly, not helpful in itself, but it looks like a good place to start.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 January 15, 06:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't actually just trade townies, but you can make templates. Marhiz and Marvin Kosh did some work on templates other than just for townies and NPC's. The consensus is that you have to either work with Numenors anygame starter or get really proficient at deleting Sims.

I'll also put some info on the threads that these discussions were in when I find them. To start with though I'd read SaraMK's thread on clean templates. There's a lot of information there as well as some other links IIRC.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,3996.0.html
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,6872.0.html
Should have some useful information.
« Last Edit: 2009 January 15, 12:33:36 by Madame Mim » Logged

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 January 15, 13:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have read the clean templates thread, since I use them and all.

I'm just tired of making a gazillion townies every time I start a new hood. By the time I finish with all of them, I don't want to play anymore. =p I was hoping that I could copy of the characters folder or something once I finish, to copy over to new hoods whenever they catch my fancy.

Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 January 15, 13:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you can make a template with the townies you want, instead of clean templates.
Put the clean Pleasantview (N001) in your MyDocuments/etc./Nhood folder (zip or move out the current N001, if you have any). Load it in game - better if in AGS with base game only, create all the townies and NPCs you want to use as recurring template. Save, exit.
Move this N001 into Programs/The Sims 2/TSData/Neighborhoods/ substituting the old one (cleaned or original); restore your game folder.

From now on, whenever you'll create a new neighborhood, it will be automatically populated by default with your townies/NPCs set: new fresh copies, with no move in/move out, memories, etc. issues.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 January 15, 16:29:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a similar template for the vacation locals? That way, all Hoods would have the same locals?

You're suggestiong the AGS Base Game just to ensure that the template would be compatiable for other players, yes? So, if it was for personal use, I could use my custom content and whatnot? The Holiday Pack kimonos are much prettier than the BV ones, after all.

wally_walrus
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 January 15, 16:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is one way to get your custom characters as townies forever: just set up a custom neighborhood as you want it, from SaraMK and Jordi's great guides (put clean templates in place etc), then make a backup of the neighborhood. If you want to revert to your original townies, just delete the old neighborhood from the Neighborhoods folder and replace it with your backup. I like keeping an OFB neighborhood because you can start off with minimal NPCs. You can adjust your new NPCs in-game with Christianlov's great new DNA fixer after you give them face-lifts (available at MTS2_christianlov_769393_CPackEditor_0.2.4.128_Release_x86.zip). I know you are asking whether you can transfer townies, but using Pescado's terrain modifier means you can make your backup neighborhood quite new each time. I don't know if this helps?
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 January 16, 13:22:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a similar template for the vacation locals? That way, all Hoods would have the same locals?

I haven't done it myself, but it's worth a try; do the same with the BV hoods (they should be V001 for turists, A001 for Asian, T001 for Island, M001 for Mountain, in NeighborhoodTemplates folder). At least in theory it should work.
If it doesn't work, you may anyway load them in SimPE and perform surgery on those already existent (I did this on mine).

You're suggestiong the AGS Base Game just to ensure that the template would be compatiable for other players, yes?

Yes; also, to be sure it will work in any case (original Pleasantview is base game, I don't know if further EPs will modify the hood structure to the point it will not be recognizable or usable when the game will copy the townies in new neighborhoods).

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 January 16, 16:31:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, this time I decided to make the v. locals in Body Shop, so that they'll be saved there. FOREVER. This way, if I get purge happy, I will have them available to plunk down with minimum effort.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 January 16, 21:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is one way to get your custom characters as townies forever: just set up a custom neighborhood as you want it, from SaraMK and Jordi's great guides (put clean templates in place etc), then make a backup of the neighborhood. If you want to revert to your original townies, just delete the old neighborhood from the Neighborhoods folder and replace it with your backup.

This only works if you're willing to trash the first 'hood you made.  However, the general idea does work well if you want to share the entire 'hood.

Jelenedra, if you do experiment with this, would you report back, or share your 'hood?  Other people with matching EPs could play with your townies if they're willing to take them as a whole 'hood rather than a template.  With SimPE, people could even switch terrains if they wanted. 

I also take an age to get around to playing a new 'hood.  I don't even have the attention span to finish the townie job; I get bored and go off to play my older 'hoods for a week or two.  Eventually, I get back to making townies, locals, socials, then building -- it takes me months.  As annoying as it is, I find I don't really want the same townies.  I'm much more interested in new faces, so I've used Madam Mim's templates and swallowed some other neighbourhoods as a whole, to satisfy myself.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 January 16, 23:35:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose the only thing to be concerned about would be the neighborhood name, if you just copy over the character files... any custom townies that get shared, would have to be for the exactly same neighborhood for everyone. Unless, of course, if the method Marhis suggested works and any new neighborhoods would use the template saved in N001.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 January 18, 22:56:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't copy or move the character files of a shared 'hood.  I suspect that might lead to corruption, if you tried to insert the new townies into an existing 'hood.  The Neighborhood file links to all the character files, so they'd have to stay together.

What I was thinking was that I'd do terrain surgery on a regular 'hood containing the custom townies.  If you shared Lake Jelenedra, I'd rename it, surgery the terrain and then get on with building and playing. Smiley  Of course, templates are even better since they offer the flexibility of taking out the noregen hacks and filling any 'hoods that you might deem underpopulated.  It's just that I'm not so picky about populated 'hoods, because there aren't very many offered.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 January 19, 01:29:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definately the template method works. It's what some of my Neighbourhoods are based on and they're completely swappable so that you can use a different template to create different themed hoods. In theory I suppose you could use any Neighbourhood that you have previously set up as a template if you're not worried about excess sim bloat.

gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2009 January 19, 04:24:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I desperately would like to see a sharable set of (maxis only but made with different face template) townies and vacation locals with clear instructions. Maybe we could make a list like 16 males, 6 with S1, 1 each color eyes, one each color hair, and people could sign up to make them and then share. Sims with "interesting" faces. Something other than the template face 1 standby and without having to download a bunch of custom content. Maybe instead of just having a house of fail contest, we could share sims for people to townify.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 January 20, 07:59:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is one way to get your custom characters as townies forever: just set up a custom neighborhood as you want it, from SaraMK and Jordi's great guides (put clean templates in place etc), then make a backup of the neighborhood. If you want to revert to your original townies, just delete the old neighborhood from the Neighborhoods folder and replace it with your backup.

This only works if you're willing to trash the first 'hood you made.  However, the general idea does work well if you want to share the entire 'hood.

There is a program called PowerRen 2000. I know that other players have used it to rename the files in a Nxxx folder, if they want to run the same hood in different ways. Apparently it works fine for them, so with that and Terrain Surgery, it shouldnīt be impossible.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 January 20, 17:11:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pes says that having multiple copies of the same neighborhood (with different names and numbers) is not safe, since the GUIDs are used globally (across neighborhoods).  I can try to find a link, if you'd like to see the discussion.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 January 20, 22:07:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's why it's best to use the template method. If you turn your Neighbourhood into a template then the game uses it to create new Neighbourhoods with completely unique GUID's.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 January 20, 22:58:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree that a template is better.  I've made extensive use of both of yours. Cheesy

I don't think there is any harm in renaming files if you're willing to swallow a whole 'hood though, including the terrain, sub-'hoods, and any lots visible or hidden.  Terrain surgery is safe for the sub-'hoods as well as the main 'hood.  The only limitation is that you can't keep more than one copy of a shared 'hood, so the townies couldn't be recycled.
Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 January 21, 11:35:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if Pes says that, it might be a good idea to listen.

I can try to find a link, if you'd like to see the discussion.

If it is me you are asking, then donīt bother. I only play one hood and have no need for testing it out. Just repeted what others have said Smiley

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 January 21, 14:53:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmkay, so if I were to work on a MATY template would most people prefer a template based on the base game? Or would it be okay to assume a certain number of EPs or SPs? I know not everyone has the latest EPs, but generally, everyone here has up to Pets, yes?

Also, I would need moar CC-less MATYzens.

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 January 21, 15:17:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd definitely be interested in a base game template.  I have all of the EPs and SPs for my work on the LotAdjuster, but most of the later ones seem more annoying than positive, so I often play with everything up to OFB.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2009 January 21, 23:19:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmkay, so if I were to work on a MATY template would most people prefer a template based on the base game? Or would it be okay to assume a certain number of EPs or SPs? I know not everyone has the latest EPs, but generally, everyone here has up to Pets, yes?

I have up to Seasons, with Holidays/Celebration, Glamour, H&M and Family Fun. No TSS, no Mansion & Gardens, Ikea or Kitchen & Bath. I think I also have a cc free copy of my simselves, or at least info on what to put them in. You have them, yes?

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 January 22, 15:09:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have up to Seasons, with Holidays/Celebration, Glamour, H&M and Family Fun. No TSS, no Mansion & Gardens, Ikea or Kitchen & Bath. I think I also have a cc free copy of my simselves, or at least info on what to put them in. You have them, yes?

I do.  Cheesy I am kinda hoping I can could make BV templates that include Holiday/Celebration pack items, as the kimonos are moar accurate.

Also, does anyone care about 6s, 12s, or 60s? I could make said townies, but if no one cares to have townie 6s or 60s I won't bother to add any. Except for those that actually have a self sim in that category; I believe most of our "elder" MATYzens prefer to have adult self sims.This will be beneficial, because it means that your 6s won't bring home friends unless there is another playable 6 in the Hood.

Pescado, of course, will be made first, so he will be the telescope shover.  Tongue

I'd also like feedback on the lack of males that will be in the townie pool. Should I leave it as is? Or should there be some gender swapping?

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 January 23, 22:03:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it should matter if you make townies that use content from SPs.  I think they will revert to random townie- (or BV-) wear, at least that's the way it worked when I used one of Madam Mim's templates with an incomplete set of CC.

I would play with a full complement of 6s, 60s and males, but it makes sense to use your own play style as the guiding principle here.  Others can supplement or tweak their MATYzens as desired.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 January 24, 20:42:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would really like it if we could have a contest for decent townie sims. Honestly, I'd be happy if I just didn't have to make all of them myself in CAS. Adding pre-made sims to the neighborhood and then using Inge's shrub to make them into townies would be acceptable to me.

Suggested Criteria:

1. No custom content
2. Sim must look acceptable as both male and female (prove it with pictures).
3. Three pictures should show how the sim will look as an adult, one full shot, one portrait, and one profile picture.
4. Sim should breed well with other sims and not produce fugly children. The best way to avoid this is to make sure the height of the eyes/mout/nose and length of the face doesn't vary too much.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: