More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:47:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  TS3 L&P
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TS3 L&P  (Read 305973 times)
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
Re: TS3 L&P
« Reply #425 on: 2009 March 27, 10:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It appears that EA aren't putting securom into sims3 afterall.  So what are they going to use?

http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/newsItem.jsp?item=-608201177

"The Sims 3 Copy Protection
March 26, 2009 06:10 AM

Hello everyone I wanted to share news with you regarding our copy protection plans for The Sims 3.

We'll have more information for you as we get closer to launch about everything we'll have to offer on TheSims3.com and The Sims 3 Store, but we have heard your requests over the past months and here is our plan for The Sims 3.

The game will have disc-based copy protection - there is a Serial Code just like The Sims 2. To play the game there will not be any online authentication needed.

We feel like this is a good, time-proven solution that makes it easy for you to play the game without DRM methods that feel overly invasive or leave you concerned about authorization server access in the distant future.

We're really excited to bring you the game for the PC and Mac starting June 2, 2009. The extra time we've taken to polish the game has resulted in an even better game experience for you to enjoy and we can't wait for you to see for yourself!

Thanks for your passion and your loyalty.
Rod Humble"
« Last Edit: 2009 March 28, 07:54:52 by cwykes » Logged

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 2009 March 27, 11:27:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way I'm reading that, it's not saying they're not using SecuROM.  They're saying there just won't be any online authentication.  The way SecuROM functions with TS2, one needn't be connected to the internet; one just has to have an original disk in the drive. 

Sneaky, eh?

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: 2009 March 27, 11:55:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed a few months back they were planning to have the packs labeled "Internet Connection Required", which many people are complaining about because not all parents let their teens play the game on computers connected to the Internet.  I think this is what Rod is referring to when he says "we have heard your requests over the past months".   So obviously they are backing down about requiring an Internet connection for authentication purposes because they are realizing that could have a significant impact on sales.  It's not saying they won't be using SecuRom and it doesn't address the other problems and complaints with SecuROM. 

Proof MATY schticks are a LIE!
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
It doesn't have to be TRUE to be funny. All we need is to take some minor thing you said, blow it up out of context, multiply by over 9000, and voila, you have a schtick. Sims are all about caricature, after all.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 2009 March 27, 14:58:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't believe you fell for that, cwykes. Also, see thread in Podium.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: 2009 March 27, 22:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well now, today, MaxoidDrea has gone on record as saying that SecuROM will not be the copy protection used for Sims 3.

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=34397763e1a2b6ecb00de144b73a66a6&directoryID=225&startRow=1&openItemID=item.225,item.43,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23#24544fb4d8e3db514dbf288e3dc248e1

It doesn't have to be TRUE to be funny. All we need is to take some minor thing you said, blow it up out of context, multiply by over 9000, and voila, you have a schtick. Sims are all about caricature, after all.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: 2009 March 28, 08:01:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't believe you fell for that, cwykes. Also, see thread in Podium.

There was something by a maxoid to that effect on the BBS.  I should have included that link as well obviously.   

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 2009 March 29, 15:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see nothing but vague hand-waving. Because we ALL know EaxoidDrea is SUCH a reliable source of information, who probably wouldn't know SecuROM if it came and bit her in the face. LIES and PROPAGANDA, nothing more. Even in the absence of SecuROM, this merely indicates they are planning something worse. At least SecuROM is the devil we know. What are they planning NOW, if not SecuROM?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 2009 March 29, 18:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The girl looks like she's contemplating whether or not to stab the guy multiple times in the face with her skewer.

Hey! If we will be able to pick up their trash for them, maybe we can grab the skewer and do it for her!

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 2009 March 30, 13:32:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if they're planning on going back to using the copy protection they used before BV. I don't remember there being any real problems with it and I certainly don't remember nearly as many people complaining about it. It wouldn't be smart of them to use something worse than SecuROM unless they want more people to pirate the game.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: 2009 March 30, 13:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume you mean "more people than are already going to pirate their game", since Pirate Cat won't pay for his downloads.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 2009 March 30, 18:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I meant more than the people who already do. lol I didn't start until after BV. SecuROM broke my DVD burner and it cost me as much as the game to replace it, so I haven't bought a Sims game since. I just save my money and buy Wii games instead.

EDIT: Has anyone read the EULA for TS3 yet? You can read it here: http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims-3-eula-for-retail-game/#more-5209

I don't know how current it is, but it mentions in-game advertising (I thought they took that out?) and it says you need the EA Download Manager to install software updates. I don't have the EA DM installed now because I'm afraid of it installing SecuROM on my computer, so I certainly don't want to be forced to use it just to patch my game.
« Last Edit: 2009 March 31, 17:54:27 by ShortyBoo » Logged
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 2009 April 01, 15:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Subject to check after the game is out:

The ingame advertising rankles me, and others too, very much. Until I recognized that it can be leveraged to make a new game feature, bu subverting the commercial stuff and replacing it with neighborhood artsy things. We will make Lemonade from this.

Lastly, I had technical issues with the EA download manager here (using it for Spore), which I think were related to my refusal to allow "Flash" to occupy any of my computer real estate.

It turns out that the process to make updates is nothing more than the EA download manager downloading an .exe file to your harddrive, and then running it. And once one person has noted the direct download address of the patch, you can get it without the download manager. This may change, but to date it has just been a marketing tool whereby the URL of the patch isn't published, in the hope that once additional people have the download manager on their computer, they will use it to buy stuff with.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 2009 April 01, 15:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know how current it is, but it mentions in-game advertising (I thought they took that out?) and it says you need the EA Download Manager to install software updates. I don't have the EA DM installed now because I'm afraid of it installing SecuROM on my computer, so I certainly don't want to be forced to use it just to patch my game.
If Drea's not spouting shit, the Download Manager will also not include SecuROM. I'll believe it when I see it.

Here's my optimistic opinion: There is no more SecuROM. Peasants rejoice! However, the patches require EA Downloader, which checks serial number to function. Since we all know that Sims games are buggy as hell, EA thinks this might lower piracy by withholding a fully-functional game. They are partially right, but the patches will be ripped. It has happened in the past for other games.

Here's my actual opinion: Drea is spouting shit. She either has been intentionally misinformed or has been instructed to misinform, as EA trusts that saying "O hai! We haz no SecuROM now!" will bring back a vast majority of the customer base they have lost. Once the customers get the game and have their surprise!SecuROM, too late. EA already has your money, and no contract has been broken/negotiated out of with Sony.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: 2009 April 01, 19:33:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Sony will probably change SecuROM's name to something no one has heard of yet.  That way, EA can say, "No SecuROM!" and be sort of telling the truth, for a given value of honesty.   Tongue

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 2009 April 01, 22:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Say hello to ROMsecur.

Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 2009 April 02, 01:58:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Say hello to ROMsecur.

"It's totally different, we swear!"

FourCats
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 2009 April 02, 02:02:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Say hello to ROMsecur.

It is safe and won't harm your computer. 

May all your fears & worries come true.
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: 2009 April 02, 02:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Say hello to ROMsecur.

It is safe and won't harm your computer. 

SecuROM by any other name is still DRM. 

CM
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 2009 April 02, 08:07:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After seeing the shots of TS3 and One Tree Hill on the Infinite Sims site, I pray that there is CC for this game (free preferably).  If those are the Sims that we have to stare at in the next incarnation of the game, we're in definite trouble.

Although EAxis tossed out a kernel to the consumers by relaxing the tentacles of Securom on TS3, what they need to do next is fire the artists who created the next generation of Sims.  Artistically and aesthetically, the new sims are horrible.

Custom content cannot be left out of the picture. And there can be no way that TSR has to be the only game in town in terms of CC.  Cry
MaryH
Garrulous Gimp

I can haz Polar Bearz

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 2009 April 02, 09:09:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Custom content cannot be left out of the picture. And there can be no way that TSR has to be the only game in town in terms of CC

It won't be. Just will take a little time to get someone interested enough to crack the codes of the game and make the tools. EA has made it harder for that to happen, from all I've read.

But if the game really sucks big, nobody will care enough to do it. As it is right now, most creators are in the "meh" mode with even trying to do this.

As are most would-be customers. For many reasons, not a lot of people are jumping up and down for joy over this game, aside from the sheeple at the BBS. They never cease to amaze with their never-ending baaing.

Besides, Securom might be renamed and reworked to another dimension that we have no clue about yet-EA has proven time and time again not to be trusted with their PSA's.

In other words, I'll believe it when I personally see it.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Lyra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 2009 April 08, 10:44:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll buy the Sims 3 when it has no DRM, including bullshitty launchers.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 2009 April 08, 15:54:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I meant more than the people who already do. lol I didn't start until after BV. SecuROM broke my DVD burner and it cost me as much as the game to replace it, so I haven't bought a Sims game since. I just save my money and buy Wii games instead.

Ditto. I try before I buy these days and so far, most software is failing: not worth keeping the free version.

It'd be nice if TS3 had a finger slider but that would mean they had some creativity, which they don't. The face sliders appear to be greatly disappointing--the reviews I've read and the pics I've seen, all the sims look the same, some fatter than others. Sad, what a waste.

I'm really hoping some up and coming company thinks 'we can do this better' and makes a swell adult version of the Sims.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 2009 April 08, 16:59:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As are most would-be customers. For many reasons, not a lot of people are jumping up and down for joy over this game, aside from the sheeple at the BBS. They never cease to amaze with their never-ending baaing.

And even then, some of those sheeples might end up losing interest pretty quickly if nobody is out there making CC (well, except TSR and whatever shitty retexturing they are up to).

I'm in the "meh" group myself. If and when talented free creators are able to make the game less painful to look at, I'll probably consider ARR-ing it to see how it plays on my computer. TS2 is staying installed, though.

I sing along with elevator music.
MeanCaffeineMachine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 2009 April 09, 00:43:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Surprisingly--even to myself--I'm still pretty damn excited about playing TS3. Maybe I'm more of a 12 than I thought, but I feel like most of you are focusing too much on the information that HAS been released and assuming that there won't be anything else. I'm looking at it from the other end of the spectrum and assume they're telling us some of the interesting things they are putting in without revealing the entire game. Sure, they want to draw people in and tell them why TS3 is worth buying, but they're notorious for keeping most of the meat of EPs under wraps until release.

Then again, this is L&P, so there should be plenty of poking, prodding, etc.

I was watching some videos on Youtube and came across a few frightening tidbits:

+Simple Eaxis items can be recolored/textured in game and then INSTANTANEOUSLY uploaded onto TS3 website/Exchange.
... God, what would the 12s do with this increase in power? Not than any of us bother with the Exchange except for laffs anyway, but the very idea terrifies me.

+During one of the videos, the designer proceeds to "show off" one of the new "features" only to reveal a glitch that makes one of the sims disappear. He explains, "Uh... if there... wasn't a bug, you'd see..."
...Riiiight. I don't know why Eaxis was so surprised that the creators at Creators' Camp were disappointed when this was the sort of shit they "showed off."

I also found a couple interesting tidbits:

+There is a way to customize/replace townies in-game.
Not sure how they're going to orchestrate this, but I'd like to see it.

+One of the designers made mention of uploading another town/neighborhood post-game launch.
I'm not sure if this is really a good thing or a bad thing? It sounds odd that they would release it for download post-launch... another "feature," I suppose.

This may have already been posted, but it's a good walkthrough the new CAS. Nothing new, but extensive. video

Does it drive anyone else crazy to watch someone else play The Sims? It drives me nuts to see someone else controlling the camera and settling on things that I'm uninterested in. I found myself, while watching a lot of these designer walkthroughs, trying to fix the camera angle/position, hahahaha.
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2009 April 09, 18:27:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it drive anyone else crazy to watch someone else play The Sims? It drives me nuts to see someone else controlling the camera and settling on things that I'm uninterested in. I found myself, while watching a lot of these designer walkthroughs, trying to fix the camera angle/position, hahahaha.

What drives me bonkers about those designer walkthroughs, is when you hear a Sim in the background do the "YooHoo" yell, because their path is blocked.  For the life of me, i can't fathom ANYONE purposely putting up with a completely Vanilla game for any length of time, without going insane.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: