More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:23:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  TS3 L&P
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TS3 L&P  (Read 305845 times)
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
Re: TS3 L&P
« Reply #175 on: 2009 January 29, 22:01:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whereas a complete set of Maxis appliances and furniture is now going to be possible, Maxis fails at understanding what Sim players want if they are making it difficult to mesh and do default replacements. Before I even loaded up Sims 2, I hunted down skin / eye / makeup default replacements, because I find the Maxis aesthetic hideous.

Also, not everyone subscribes to the Atwa aesthetic of making an entire room one colour / one pattern and floodfilling everything.

If it is even going to be difficult to import your own texture, so you don't get green and orange tiger stripe and yellow and pink polka dot options and the usual Maxis fug, that's an even bigger fail.

FAIL on the laziness regarding the car animations, where they no longer bother to back it out of the driveway for you, but make it *poof* in and out of existence instead.

FAIL on community lots that are big empty rectangles.

FAIL on only one, unchangeable, base 'hood. We like having different "worlds" to play.

Also, only piloting one primary family (if that is the case) is fail. We play multiple families because the storylines can vary, and because you can get bored of one family and want to mess with another set of characters instead.

I spend more time "shopping" for CC than I do playing, so they are really being idiotic. I blame their buttbuddy status with TSR. They are trying to circumvent the paysite/freesite argument altogether, I suspect, by making it impossible to offer anything innovative and useful and attractive, so all content in sharable mode is going to be as ugly as your usual TSR crap.

Good: bikes, walking to lots, shoes, fatness, and the personality points sound promising. Not enough to tempt me to play a game with characters that are, by all reports, puffy, ill-proportioned, and  eye-searingly fugly.

How does a company with so many opinionated and knowledgeable players, most of whom are willing to offer advice and assistance with things for free, and who have not embraced the new format wholeheartedly by any means, continue to FAIL so hard?

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2009 January 30, 01:46:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't be surprised to see meshes and everything else we are looking for in the form of expansions.  Assuming the game lasts that long.
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2009 January 30, 02:16:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "one neighborhood" thing and the look of the Sims are my biggest turnoffs at this point, although it's all pretty irrelevant since my current laptop won't run the game in the first place.

I LIKE knowing that I can create a custom neighborhood, with no Sims in it at all, and make my own story that's unique to me.  I don't want the EAxis-created DRAMAZ.  Pretty much the first thing I did when I got TS2 way back when was create my own 'hood.  The longest I've played any of the premade 'hoods is my Legacy in Riverblossom Hills, and I haven't played any of the premade families there.  The only premades I've played for longer than it takes to get a handle on a new EP are Gilbert and Malcolm.

I was willing to give CAS the benefit of the doubt, seeing as how, based on the EAxis premades in TS2, it's clear that the EAxis people cannot make unique-looking Sims who are not horribly deformed in some way, and it should be assumed that this would carry over to TS3.  After reading Parsimonious Kate's review of CAS, though, it does not give me hope that the Sims won't be doughy.

Plus, the fact that they seem to be shutting out CC, particularly free CC, does not give me The Happy either.  If I thought the EAxis stuff would be as good as, or better than, the stuff the free creators could produce, I wouldn't be as unhappy about it, but their idea of "tasteful" and "quality" is very different than mine.

Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2009 January 30, 13:06:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How does a company with so many opinionated and knowledgeable players, most of whom are willing to offer advice and assistance with things for free, and who have not embraced the new format wholeheartedly by any means, continue to FAIL so hard?

I KNOW.  If I made a game, I'd be all over the community for their opinions.  I just don't understand - remember when MaxoidSam was like OMG NVIDIA CRASH? IN MY SIMS 2?  WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL US?  That really made me realise how freaking cut off from the community EA are.

it's clear that the EAxis people cannot make unique-looking Sims who are not horribly deformed in some way, and it should be assumed that this would carry over to TS3. 

This is also baffling.  Surely, surely, there are many people in that company and SOMEONE at some point said "hey, that sim fell all the way outta the ugly tree huh".
« Last Edit: 2009 January 30, 14:35:49 by Tigerlilley » Logged

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: 2009 January 30, 13:52:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With any luck we'll be able to make a tool to import usermade patterns at least, but I have reason to believe they won't be just normal pngs, it will be something a bit more complicated.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: 2009 January 30, 14:57:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still want to play it. It will still be better than MYSIMS.
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2009 January 30, 15:11:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still want to play it. It will still be better than MYSIMS.

Whether it's solid shit or runny shit, in the end it's still shit and it stinks.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2009 January 30, 15:12:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are good points to the game, like the traits system, separate shoes, being able to make real fat sims and the fact that the water and plants/trees/shrubs look way better. But the sims themselves look bad, mainly because of the eyes, skintones, makeup, etc and I really can't see myself playing all that long without real custom content. I've gotten so used to using default replacement skintones and eyes, I don't see how I could stand playing without them. And as far as clothing goes, in TS2, I like very few EAxis outfits, and I'm sure that won't change with TS3, so I'll probably end up with everyone wearing the same couple outfits in different colors.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2009 January 30, 16:13:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Roofing textures are still for shit. They can't ever get the scale right.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
MidnightVoyager
Exasperating Eyesore

INFP, AQ: 36. Fear.

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2009 January 30, 16:16:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Someone should force them to work as roofers sometime. Or to photograph houses.

Or to beat them until they make something that looks right.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2009 January 30, 16:39:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe we'll still be able to pull of default replacements for skintones, but it would probably involve tricking the video card, rather than overriding the game.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: 2009 January 30, 18:58:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

moar realistic skins and eyes are usually the first things I go after CC-wise... so... I'm holding out hope. Tongue

still. ZOMGFATSIMS.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2009 January 30, 19:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe we'll still be able to pull of default replacements for skintones, but it would probably involve tricking the video card, rather than overriding the game.

How so? I mean, wouldn't it just involve finding the skintones in the game files and replacing them? What's the video card have to do with it? I've never heard of that.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2009 January 30, 19:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How so? I mean, wouldn't it just involve finding the skintones in the game files and replacing them? What's the video card have to do with it? I've never heard of that.
In games that do not include the capability to load override files, a technique used to replace textures involves simply overwriting them inside texture memory.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2009 January 30, 19:24:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a thread about doing video card fudging to make default replacement skin textures not too long ago. It was deemed too technical for the Lala so I stopped paying attention.

***Or, in other words, Pescado knows how, but didn't want to explain it to a silly Lala type person whom would ask too many questions.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: 2009 January 30, 20:34:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

***Or, in other words, Pescado knows how, but didn't want to explain it to a silly Lala type person whom would ask too many questions.

Or he doesn't, and didn't want to try and explain it to someone who might ask too many questions Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2009 January 30, 20:44:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They can inbreed themselves!
Already working on that. xD  I'd do a story, but I think people would be up in arms or some bullshit. XD Maybe I should do it anyways, to piss people off. Cheesy

I think this fear is overstated.  I worried about a storyline in which Snowbawl eradicated a bunch of townies, including several children.  I was practically begged encouraged to post it with all haste.  Go and do thou likewise.

Tribulatio proxima est
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2009 January 30, 20:50:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or he doesn't, and didn't want to try and explain it to someone who might ask too many questions Smiley
I'm familiar with the general principles of how it is done. I have not attempted to put it to practical implementation, but I've seen it done before. It's just not relevant to my interests.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: 2009 January 31, 08:46:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a thought in relation to the designers not understanding what the community wants...  The videos I've seen of them show an office full of young people.  I guess that gives them some insight into what teens like in a game, but none whatsoever into what appeals to people twice their age - never mind people twice their age living in Europe, Australia, Japan or wherever. 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Tingeling
Malodorous Moron

- Big Cat AIDE - and proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2009 January 31, 16:19:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A new video is up at a french fan site via Snootysims:
Sims 3

It's the usual crap, but there are some new features that they bring up. For example how you can edit the neighbourhood. One thing annoys me though. When the sims get in and out of the car they just show up on the sidewalk, like how the cars vanish. How come they haven't got any animations for such things?? LOL, they claim that the neighbourhood buildings (the ones you can't follow your sims into) are "individual discrete buldings". What the hell is discrete about them?! Aside from the fact that they are little more than a shoebox with a splash of paint on them. And lets not forget the adorable, hacking walk the sims have. [/sarcasm] I'm getting less and less interested in this game the more I see it.

- INTJ -
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: 2009 January 31, 16:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Individual discrete buildings? The 'individual discrete' bit is just saying the same thing twice.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2009 January 31, 17:18:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, the techno music and dancing numbers was win. Trying to translate French in my head while someone is speaking English in the background is not.

I kind of wonder where the cars go. Are they put in the sims' asses like their fishing poles?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2009 January 31, 18:20:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of these videos might explain the car thing. In one, it looks like the vehicles poof into and out of existence, and Sims get in and out by vanishing and reappearing, too.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2009 January 31, 21:00:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely. I just don't like this message of, "Out with the old, in with the new!" We are bombarded with this message constantly that we need to be forever trading up. I hate hearing all the fanboys/girls raving about how they've already deleted the Sims 2 off their hard drives because who needs it anymore, right? We can haz new toyz, throw outs the old onez!!eleventyone!!! Advertising like that just kind of irks me.

I know a lot of people with this kind of attitude, myself included. Considering the current state of the economy, though, it's an outlook that I'm slowly getting over. It's kind of interesting to compare my friends' attitudes towards purchasing in comparison to, say, my parents, who come from the mindset of "keep it 'til it's no longer functional".

I sing along with elevator music.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2009 January 31, 21:03:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know a lot of people with this kind of attitude, myself included. Considering the current state of the economy, though, it's an outlook that I'm slowly getting over. It's kind of interesting to compare my friends' attitudes towards purchasing in comparison to, say, my parents, who come from the mindset of "keep it 'til it's no longer functional".
I subscribe to the mindset of "reuse, abuse, misuse". Something is reused until it stops working. Then it is abused until it is clear that no amount of kicking is going to make it work. Then it is misused for things it was never intended to be used for at all.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: