More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:13:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  TS3 L&P
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TS3 L&P  (Read 305847 times)
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
TS3 L&P
« on: 2008 December 17, 11:23:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not buying Sims3/Securom, but I'd like to know what I would have had to buy to play it.  My Dell Dimension has old-style PCI slots (PCI 2.2 I'm told) & I suspect that all the in-spec cards will be PCIe or AGP.  So am I saving the cost of a new graphics card or a new PC?

EDIT - These are the revised specs published here http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/newsItem.jsp?item=236875146

THE SIMS 3 MINIMUM HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

FOR WINDOWS XP
    * Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
    * 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    * 1 GB RAM
    * At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
    * 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

FOR WINDOWS VISTA
    * Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
    * 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    * 1.5 GB RAM
    * At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
    * 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
    * Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA X3000 or above.
    * 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
    * 0.5 GB additional RAM

SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS

NVIDIA GeForce series
    FX 5900, FX 5950
    6200, 6500, 6600, 6800,
    7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
    8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
    9600, 9800, GTX 260, GTX 280

ATI Radeon™ series
    9500, 9600, 9800
    X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
    X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
    2400, 2600, 2900
    3450, 3650, 3850, 3870,
    4850, 4870

Intel® Extreme Graphics
    GMA X3x00 series

Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slower. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly. Intel integrated chipsets featuring underclocked parts will not perform adequately.

Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants will have low settings selected, but should run satisfactorily.

Please note that attempting to play the game using video hardware that isn't listed above may result in reduced performance, graphical issues or cause the game to not run at all.

The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 18, 17:23:18 by cwykes » Logged

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
Re: Sims3 spec
« Reply #1 on: 2008 December 17, 15:17:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was up on the BBS yesterday, today it is removed and instead says "Help not available".

I noticed it did not say an internet connection was required, and wondered if they removed to update it.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 December 17, 15:23:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it looks like my rig would have the processor and RAMz to play, but I would need to upgrade my video card (hypothetical situation only - TS3 is still L&P). 

Tribulatio proxima est
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 December 17, 15:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, those specs seem awful low. My old computer met those specs and it was hell trying to play on a community lot, even with all of the settings turned down to low. Forget dorms or vacations too. So they want to run a huge neighborhood, with God knows how many sims on those specs? Good luck with that!

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 December 17, 15:46:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I asked for a new graphics card for [insert next week's festival name of choice here]. My machine currently cannot cope with large lots or multiple storey buildings, there is no way it could run Sims 3.

More F than you
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 December 17, 17:13:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=98bf9aa3ff5515a64a8dc6746bd6e36f&directoryID=225

EA response to question about specs for TS3

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

It is hard to give an accurate answer right now, but be sure to choose a High-End computer. Your Computer must be at least a Core-2-Duo 2.0Ghz or higher, 2 or 4 GB RAM, a stand-alone graphics card with at least 512MB non-shared Memory by Ati or nVidia, never buy an on-board graphics card, to play the game. Of course game may need a lower or higher configuration than this, but this system is good for a ideal quality gaming experience.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Thank you,

EARep Rick
EA Online Support"

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 December 17, 17:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In that case, TS3 will not be part of my gaming plans until the next time I feel like building a new rig.

Those specs certainly sound like a more reasonable assessment than the earlier ones, which sounded more like the TS2 specs with a higher end graphics card.

Tribulatio proxima est
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 December 17, 17:27:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What would be the best thing to do? Buy a very large box case, and go with agp vga only so you can upgrade every 3 months for the EP in the sims3? It's very un-nerving for this game to include secuROM also, with most of the serious sims 2 players informed I feel sales will be very poor for Sims 3.
PharosHalo
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 December 17, 17:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=98bf9aa3ff5515a64a8dc6746bd6e36f&directoryID=225

EA response to question about specs for TS3

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

It is hard to give an accurate answer right now, but be sure to choose a High-End computer. Your Computer must be at least a Core-2-Duo 2.0Ghz or higher, 2 or 4 GB RAM, a stand-alone graphics card with at least 512MB non-shared Memory by Ati or nVidia, never buy an on-board graphics card, to play the game. Of course game may need a lower or higher configuration than this, but this system is good for a ideal quality gaming experience.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Thank you,

EARep Rick
EA Online Support"

They are referring to a system with Vista, as XP can only support (with modification) 3.5 GBs as issues arise at 3 GBS or higher with XP.  On-Board Graphic Cards are the worse possible feature of any gaming rig.  The only thing you'll need to upgrade is your graphics card, more so if you are using Vista as your ram will be drained.

In all honesty, Sims 3 is going to be popular because it is open, but at the same time the larger the city the worse the lag will become.  It will be like playing a high-end MMORPG on dial-up with millions of people >.<
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 December 17, 17:37:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those specs sound a lot more like I was expecting.

A lot of people right now can't afford to build a new box, so I wonder if the sales of TS3 are going to be anywhere near what they are projecting. One of the nice things about TS2 was that the base game would run on lower end boxes at the time. My computer at the time was a couple years old, but it still ran the base game and UNI on med-high settings just fine.

Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 December 17, 17:44:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims has always been more demanding than most games that came out around the same time; I don't see why that should change now.

Yeah, I'm not buying 3 either.

Officially Weird
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 December 17, 17:50:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those specs sound a lot more like I was expecting.

A lot of people right now can't afford to build a new box, so I wonder if the sales of TS3 are going to be anywhere near what they are projecting. One of the nice things about TS2 was that the base game would run on lower end boxes at the time. My computer at the time was a couple years old, but it still ran the base game and UNI on med-high settings just fine.

Agreed. I'm also pretty skeptical of their projected sales for TS3, more so because of the specs than Securom. I know several of people who play TS2 that either just don't get what Securom is, or haven't run into problems with it on their system yet. Particularly for people who aren't particularly tech-savvy, they may not even *know* that their computer problems stem from Securom. On the other hand, none of my friends (including myself) are hardcore gamers, and buying/building a new computer just to the run TS3 is out of the question. Even for those who don't know/care what Securom is, if the demands for the game are too great, they'll just stick to what runs on their computer.

I sing along with elevator music.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 December 17, 18:11:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It would appear that the EA marketing department wants to keep the specs for TS3 approximately the same as for TS2.  So, we may see very unrealistic (low) "minimal system requirements" on the TS3 box.

(Marketing groups rarely care whether the specs are accurate.  They care about what will convince people to buy the game.)

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 December 17, 23:13:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The original spec's for TS2 were very low and when the game finally came there was no way it would run on my P3 that met them. So I bought a new computer. It exceeds these current minimum spec's but I really want to see the recommended spec's. Given Rod Humbles vision for Sim City was rubbish, I'm waiting to see if TS3 will be worth the effort and expense to upgrade.
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 December 17, 23:34:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No way I could even Arrr that, then, unless I bought a new computer. Mine's a P4 1.6 GHz with 512MB RAM.

I find the specs amusing. Some of the early interviews about TS3 claimed they were planning on making the specs *lower* than TS2, so that it would work on "your grandma's computer". That is now revealed to be blatant L&P.
funkilla
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 December 17, 23:42:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I plan on building a gaming rig next year anyway. Or like a media rig because I do a lot of short films and stuff. While my laptop is plenty capable, overheating is an issue for me. I'm just going to go out and build a rig anyway just for the cooling systems. Its definitely going to be high end, no doubt. I was planning to go Mac though, because I like Macs better for media use, but hate gaming on a Mac. I may just go windows, but not Vista. DO NOT WANT. I've very happy with XP Media Center.

Besides, I'm getting a macbook automatically when I start my online classes with Full Sail. So that will make 3 laptops and one PC when all is said and done. My other laptop is having an issue staying on, and I don't think its overheating. The battery is fried due to heat, but now even with the power supply plugged in, it shuts off after 30 minutes or so. So I had to get a new one. No problems yet *knock on wood*, but occasionally if the fans are blocked, it will overheat and shut off, which sucks.

Oh well.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: TS3 L&P
« Reply #16 on: 2008 December 17, 23:46:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suggest just ordering the computer in pieces: It will be cheaper and you won't be including Vista in your costs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
zherok
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 December 18, 02:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find the specs amusing. Some of the early interviews about TS3 claimed they were planning on making the specs *lower* than TS2, so that it would work on "your grandma's computer". That is now revealed to be blatant L&P.
Maybe requirements closer to the later expansions. There's no way they could claim it'd require less than the original game and still have it be an improvement over TS2. The original box requirements are only an 800mhz processor, 256mb ram, and a 32mb video card. But by the time you get to Apartment Life the requirements rise to 1.3 GHz (2.0 GHz for Vista) and 512 MB (1 GB for Vista) ram. Same 32mb video card though.

I can't picture any serious quote even by EA claiming they were going to let you use your Pentium III and GeForce 2 to play their sequel...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 December 18, 04:21:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the same time, they're also unwilling to say that people with crappy computers get smaller towns that their computers can handle. And since sims you don't control now bunnybreed without your input, well, you figure it out.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 December 18, 04:28:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The townies will breed on their own  Shocked? Even if a TS3 notowniewoohoo was possible I just don't think I want it, it sounds very bad. Even though still want to buy a new gaming rig this coming year, newegg has some nice boxes for under 900.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 December 18, 04:29:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the same time, they're also unwilling to say that people with crappy computers get smaller towns that their computers can handle. And since sims you don't control now bunnybreed without your input, well, you figure it out.

Breeding uncontrollable sims would be a nice feature if we could trust that EA would do it right. It's a little annoying to play a third generation family and have them attend uni with the same dormies that their great grandparents went to uni with.

However, we all know that EA won't do the breeding correctly. My other families will be off aging and breeding without any sort of input from me, while the NPC family still won't age. Or my uncontrolled sims will breed with only the fugliest NPCs.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 December 18, 04:32:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And of course, let's not forget the fact that since character instances are NEVER CLEANED UP, the number of characterfiles will bloat out of control.

dorquemada
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 December 18, 08:15:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

4GB RAM for a game? Pffffft.

MaryH
Garrulous Gimp

I can haz Polar Bearz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 December 18, 10:37:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new "revised" specs do not surprise me in any way. They're closer to what I opined in my piece on RYG, and I'm sticking to my opinion, even after they have revised them.
Simply put, TS3 will require more memory and computer than you can afford or want. It will suck your computer into a big black hole with Securom, and never let it see the light of day.
DO NOT WANT.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 December 18, 12:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, what'd you expect? It's like the base game, only the ENTIRE GAME IS A SINGLE GIANT LOT, so figure out how many RAMs that would take up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: