More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 08:28:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  NEWS: WE CAN HAZ LEGAL THREATS?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: NEWS: WE CAN HAZ LEGAL THREATS?  (Read 72472 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
NEWS: WE CAN HAZ LEGAL THREATS?
« on: 2008 December 14, 12:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, apparently we can haz legal threats. Some monkey over at EAxis seems to believe this site has pirated Store Content. Of course, we have no such thing here. In fact, not a single URL given in that message even comes from this site. I have no idea what they expect me to do, since they have not given anything for us to remove. So, uh, I guess, whoever owns those mediafryer URLs, which ain't us, had best re-move them? I dunno what else to say.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
asthehind
Retarded Reprobate

I think, therefore I am overqualified.

View Profile
Re: NEWS: WE CAN HAZ LEGAL THREATS?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 December 14, 13:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you replied to them?

By popular demand, Tongue Deer:
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 December 14, 13:19:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least they could have the decency of sending those links by email, instead of faxing them. Now what, am I supposed to type those URL's? Roll Eyes

Pescado won't have to worry too much about it, but Mediafire is well within reach of the copyright gestapo. I guess the next step might be torrenting...
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 December 14, 13:22:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before they get on to MediaFire about it, they should download the fixes.  They might learn something.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 December 14, 13:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you replied to them?
I have pointed out the error in sending problems with Mediafryer to us, yes. Not a single one of those listed URLs is even *ON* this site, so there is literally nothing I can even do!

Pescado won't have to worry too much about it, but Mediafire is well within reach of the copyright gestapo.
Possibly, but that's not MY problem, now is it? I don't own Mediafryer. Their problems with Mediafryer are not relevant to my interests.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 December 14, 13:27:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet the Lawlyer who wrote that has no idea the mysterious working of the internets and has no good understanding why "linking" is different than "hosting"

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 December 14, 13:47:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, this is great.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
Tingeling
Malodorous Moron

- Big Cat AIDE - and proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 December 14, 13:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

P&L@Eaxis lolyer going all Nelson: Na hah!

- INTJ -
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 December 14, 14:43:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I am imagining them trying to even *find* you to serve you for something you are not doing.

ETA: Aw, no music. I was rooting for some nice "Turkey in the Straw" or something seasonal like "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies" since I hear you liek Mudcrackers.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 14, 14:51:02 by Assmitten » Logged

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Bonzodog
Blathering Buffoon

ENFP- The Inspirer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 December 14, 15:03:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"the world's leading interactive entertainment software company'

.......... just 'EA' would have done.
Maygus
Asinine Airhead

INTP: the world exists to be observed

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 December 14, 16:52:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dealt with intellectual property issues in my past life as a software development manager, and based on my own experience, here's an interpretation of that letter:  Apparently, EA's legal department is going after mediafire.com   So somebody directed an intern to do google searches for sites with links to mediafire and this site (MATY) came up as well as a zillion other Sims 2 forums and fansites.  Then MATY along with who-knows-how-many other Sims 2 websites were sent a threatening form letter.  (It doesn't appear that the letter was written specifically for MATY.)

I did a google search and it turned up a number of mediafire links on MATY web pages.  Here's an example:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=13036.0  (edit: better example)

It appears that EA is trying to pressure you to remove all of the links to mediafire which appear on this site.

About a week ago, EA issued an earnings and sales warning for the 4th quarter.  So it may be that they're trying to shore up Q4 sales by putting the squelch on pirated content.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 14, 17:02:10 by Maygus » Logged

Game config: Mac version, first 6 EPs (Uni thru BV), Aspyr combo patch, no SPs
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 December 14, 19:09:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That letter doesn't even has grammar, quite apart from its lulz in the hyperbolic description of EA. "offers...users to upload"? What do that even mean? And it accuses you of letting people look at images? It sounds like the lolyer isn't entirely clear about what this stuff you allegedly have IS.

Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 December 14, 19:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The grammar is atrocious. The flip-flopping between "images" and "files" is just baffling, and they certainly aren't "the world's leading interactive entertainment software company". Plus, they're talking about "The SIMS". The Sims™ is a completely unrelated game.  Roll Eyes

Is this going to be like the time TSR threatened to sue the Malaysians?
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 December 14, 19:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kind of feel bad for whomever got stuck with the task of writing that letter. Clearly the poor retard hasn't been on the job long.

Fail.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 December 14, 19:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It kind of surprises me that EA, "the world's leading interactive entertainment software company" doesn't have lolyers on retainer who are a bit more savvy about the internets.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 December 14, 19:51:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dear EAxian LAWLyer:

U R DOIN IT WRONG.

STFU & GTFO, Attorney at LOL..

Also, HA ha!

Love & glomps,
MATY, the world's leading website for hax and modz that fix the game-borking retardery created by the world's leading interactive entertainment software company"
xoxo

P.S. Have you heard of TSR, which SELLS the intellectual property of EA? I thought not.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 December 14, 20:21:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well if they are monitoring this site, then they could also read this: if they start a store, where all non-US/Canadian customers are not welcome, they WILL provoke file sharing. When you at least welcome customers that want to pay but aren't allowed, then come back.
And also, what about improved versions of the faulty stuff in the store? (There is a LOT of faulty stuff there)  And recolors?
asthehind
Retarded Reprobate

I think, therefore I am overqualified.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 December 14, 20:24:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well if they are monitoring this site, then they could also read this: if they start a store, where all non-US/Canadian customers are not welcome, they WILL provoke file sharing. When you at least welcome customers that want to pay but aren't allowed, then come back.
And also, what about improved versions of the faulty stuff in the store? (There is a LOT of faulty stuff there)  And recolors?

The store items aren't available to those outside the Americas? That's just stupid. Many people of different nationalities go to www.thesims2.ea.com rather than their 'local' site. I myself have only been to the UK site a couple of times.

By popular demand, Tongue Deer:
Maygus
Asinine Airhead

INTP: the world exists to be observed

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 December 14, 20:46:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The store items are also unavailable to Mac users.  When I tried to download the free items, I got a sims-store-not-supported-on-Mac-at-this-time message.

Game config: Mac version, first 6 EPs (Uni thru BV), Aspyr combo patch, no SPs
BrokenRobot
Dimwitted Dunce

sekrit Republican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 December 14, 21:32:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My favorite parts of this letter:

1. It is addressed to "More Awesome Than You".

2. "...your website www.moreawesomethanyou.com ('the Site')..."  WTF?  Do people refer to MATY as "the Site" now?

3.  It's signed "Very truly yours".  How inappropriately personal of them.

Edit: Doh!  My ignorance, let me show you it.  I still say "very truly yours" is silly, though.
« Last Edit: 2008 December 17, 01:02:33 by BrokenRobot » Logged
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 December 14, 21:37:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2. "...your website www.moreawesomethanyou.com ('the Site')..."  WTF?  Do people refer to MATY as "the Site" now?

3.  It's signed "Very truly yours".  How inappropriately personal of them.

2. Standard thing in legal documents "blah balah long ass description of things that have to be referenced more than once in a letter" ('xyzzy'). Now they can just say xyzzy and everyone who reads it knows what they are referring to.

3. Also common closing by lawyers. There's nothing personal or impersonal about it, it's just standard language.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 December 14, 21:48:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, how much did this letter cost EA, and are they going to send one every time a new link is put up?

I ask because evil people might be tempted to put up a link saying:  Here's some great EA store stuff, and then link to mediafryer with an "image" file that said something like "these are not the droids you are looking for". Falor, no doubt would tell me that that was illegal, since he maintains that as a US citizen it is illegal to smoke pot in Amsterdam.

Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 December 14, 21:52:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this probably says more about what we can expect when Sims 3 comes out and that the EA legal department are just testing the water in preparation. Most people who receive a letter like that will panic and remove any and all 'questionable' links.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 December 14, 21:54:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like Maygus, I understand them to mean that not deleting links to those downloads is 'allowing' and 'encouraging' copyright violation.  As you're not posting in the thread egging people on, that's a bit of a reach for me, but I'm not a lawyer.  Isn't posting about whatever you want a freedom of speech thing anyway?

Do they really believe that dealing with those particular downloads is going to fix anything?   Delete one and another 5 will pop up elsewhere.  The stupid thing is that the Sims2 community is almost certainly the least geeky and most law abiding game community in existence!  Going after us with Securom and antagonistic legal stuff like this just sets more people on the road they want us to avoid!  I'd never even downloaded a hack until I hit headmaster bug & I didn't know what nocd cracks were until EA went over to Securom.

I'm another non-US customer who can't buy this stuff anyway.  Not that I actually want more of their junk - there's better stuff on fansites.  But if I did buy any, I'd go straight out and look for fixed versions on the internet!

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 December 14, 22:02:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

so there is literally nothing I can even do!

Actually, there is something else you can do: reply to them with the letter Lorelei wrote above:

Dear EAxian LAWLyer:

U R DOIN IT WRONG.

STFU & GTFO, Attorney at LOL..

Also, HA ha!

Love & glomps,
MATY, the world's leading website for hax and modz that fix the game-borking retardery created by the world's leading interactive entertainment software company"
xoxo

P.S. Have you heard of TSR, which SELLS the intellectual property of EA? I thought not.

Pretty please?

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: