More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 10:53:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Moving problems
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Moving problems  (Read 8807 times)
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Moving problems
« on: 2005 November 10, 15:21:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This happened to me before and I thought nothing of it, but it has happened twice more since I posted my prior message.  Whenever I move sims to a new home, two things happen - 1) they loose their Uni-earned extra want slots; and 2) NOW I discover that if they are perma-plats, that is also lost in the move and I have to either cheat to get that back or re-do their LTW.  I hadn't had this problem until after I patched NL.  Anyone else having these or similar moving problems since the patch?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Moving problems
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 10, 17:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a thread entitled: Adult Loses College Earned Want Slots.  This was regarding the same problem that you are experiencing.

I can't tell whether it will or will not happen in my game, it's a new installation and none of my sims are ready to graduate yet.  But I had a similar problem trying to move a family from Downtown to Pleasantview, and between them they had most of their possessions in their inventories.  One of the parents would not stop spinning his wants (he did have six want slots through the FFS Debugger option) and was frozen.  I eventually had to get rid of everything they'd brought with them, move them out and then in again.

I think the problem may be because they tried to take the family car with them, and othre people have reported difficulties with doing that.

Zephyr Zodiac
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 10, 19:45:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as losing the perma-plat status.....I thought I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where) that when this happens, you just need to get them back to full plat and it will "re-stick".  I haven't had this particular glitch yet, but I have read several posts where people have mentioned this problem, so you're not alone.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 10, 21:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yet another thread in this forum dealt with the perma-plat problem.   If it doesn't re-stick, you can use the FFs Debugger to toggle LTW bit, and they will go permaplat.

Zephyr Zodiac
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 11, 00:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a thread entitled: Adult Loses College Earned Want Slots.  This was regarding the same problem that you are experiencing.

That was my first post regarding this problem.

Yet another thread in this forum dealt with the perma-plat problem.   If it doesn't re-stick, you can use the FFs Debugger to toggle LTW bit, and they will go permaplat.

That's what I've been doing.  It must be a bug somewhere that's causing this and I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problems.  Haven't been keeping up on the post lately - too busy playing the game.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 11, 15:29:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand that - I spend hours just playing my sims!  But I do eventually have to leave them and do something else, like visiting MATY! (Or surfing for downloads.......)

But yes, both problems are quite well-documented here, plus quite a few more that have survived the patch!  At least the wait for the Uni patch was worth it, they seemed t me to have covered virtually all the problems, but they were rather quick off the mark with the NL one (and since it included the Uni stuff, and isn't much bigger than the Uni patch, there can't be an awful lot in it.)

Zephyr Zodiac
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 11, 16:19:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least the wait for the Uni patch was worth it, they seemed t me to have covered virtually all the problems, but they were rather quick off the mark with the NL one (and since it included the Uni stuff, and isn't much bigger than the Uni patch, there can't be an awful lot in it.)

I noticed that and thought it was quite strange  Huh.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 11, 17:02:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they wanted to avoid the inevitable criticism if it had taken six months AGAIN!

Zephyr Zodiac
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 12, 01:26:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm in a lot of pain right now so not very coherent, so I'm going to write this in point form to hope it makes sense:

1. JMP reckoned that the original problem of an adult losing college-earned want slots was due to moving the graduate back to the Neighbourhood and into a house that hadn't been updated since installing University. Greg from Simshost lost a load of work because of this - I think he called it "The Bug That Destroyed Happy Valley".

2. Now that we have not just University, but Nightlife and the NL Patch, there will be a lot of empty houses that are not "safe" to use. A house is only "safe" if it has been updated since the last EP or Patch you installed.

3. To make a house "safe", what you need to do is go into it in Build Mode, maybe change some small thing, and SAVE it - so it "updates" with whatever the new file format is.

4. You MUST do this before moving any sims into the house.

5. I have never experienced this problem because I am paranoid about it, and never move sims into a house that I haven't gone into in Build Mode first.

6. I believe that once an adult has gone from 6 want slots back to 4, that there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, because as far as the character file is concerned, that character should have 6 want slots, so you can't use the FFS Lot Debugger to "upgrade" them.

7. However, some other modder has a mod out now that will give you as many locks as you have Want slots, so you can have 4 Wants with 4 locks or whatever. I believe this mod also allows you to add up to 6 Wants to any sim, even one that "should" have been upgraded. Unfortunately I can't remember who it was who's made this hack.

Does this help? I hope it's coherent  Undecided.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 12, 02:00:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you can add want slots ad infinitum with TwoJeffs money tree thingy - the Want Slots and Personal electronics Tree.

I've no doubt that you're right about the houses needing to be updated and saved before use, but I've had problems with newly built houses too, which as I said, was probably something to do with trying to move too much in the family inventories!  (It was the sim who had the family car who had the problem.)

Zephyr Zodiac
VJay
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 13, 13:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3. To make a house "safe", what you need to do is go into it in Build Mode, maybe change some small thing, and SAVE it - so it "updates" with whatever the new file format is.

4. You MUST do this before moving any sims into the house.

Thank you so much for this post!
I actually had this problem yesterday. My sim couple Chloe Singles and Abijeet Cho (SP? lol) had earned enough money to move out and buy the bigger house I had built (under University). I moved them in and aaah!! The lot never loaded! So I had the "Loading... The Singles Family" for like half an hour with nothing happening. I almost freaked out. So I closed the game with ctrl+alt+del and launch it again. This time the house loaded successfully but my sims were stuck, they were in front of the house, frozen, their bars were as well. I then deleted them with moveobjects cheat, quit the lot and returned. They were moving again (Thank God) but all their wants slot were and are still blank...  Sad
Anyway, now I know what I'll have to do next time before moving a family in one of my pre-NL lots... I have so many of them... *sigh*
Thanks again for your help!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 13, 15:09:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if they'd only waited a few more weeks before releasing the NL patch, this problem would almost certainly have been reported to them, and they could have fixed it!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baddmark
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 13, 15:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if they'd only waited a few more weeks before releasing the NL patch, this problem would almost certainly have been reported to them, and they could have fixed it!

Yeah, but they wouldn't have. There would be two months of denying the problem exists, two months of saying they are working on it and these things take time and two months of lecturing us about not asking for patches since they have already released one and it's not their policy to release patches every few days for tiny problems that only a minority of people are having. Or am I being a little too cynical?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 13, 15:34:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe.....but the problem is, they took six months to release the Uni patch, which was fine and worked well, but the NL patch was out only a few weeks after the release of NL, so how on earth could it have been properly researched?  (It's also very little bigger than the Uni patch, yet it inludes the whole of that, so they didn't really correct much, did they?)

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 13, 16:17:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had this problem, too.  Usually it does right itself eventually.  My main moving problem though is that all my former YA's (even if they're almost elders) will get a new memory saying they've graduated (which is passed on to all their family members) with a degree much lower than the one they actually got.  This has always happened when they've moved for the first time after graduating, but not on subsequent moves.  Drives me mad because I have to come straight out of the game to remove the memories from everybody before they get passed round the neighbourhood. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 13, 16:22:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Annoys me too how all new downtownies get the "went to college" memory, but no degree, zilch!  (Like Bella Goth, who for some reason if you don't play her till after installing Uni, has the same memory!)

Zephyr Zodiac
VJay
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 13, 23:15:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

awh man I just tried to load an empty house built under Uni so I can "update" it and it wouldn't load again. I swear this is making me go crazy.  Sad
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 14, 00:17:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just thought of two options, then halfway through typing them, I thought No, that won't work!  It's got me beat!  The only other thing I wondered is, have you tried packaging the house, then reinstalling it?  But then, if you can't load it, I can't see how you could package it, unless there's a way of doing it in SimPE>

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 14, 20:34:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

awh man I just tried to load an empty house built under Uni so I can "update" it and it wouldn't load again. I swear this is making me go crazy.  Sad

Stick it in the Lots & Houses Bin first then place it back out in the neighbourhood, see if it makes any difference? You can get rid of the 'extra' copy (click on it then the tiny trash bin icon on the right hand corner) in the Bin if you don't want it.
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 15, 03:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a different, but related problem of sims not aging even with "aging on". This is caused by taking a house from the University Neighbourhood & moving it to the normal Neighbourhood. For some reason, the house is marked as "rental" and no sims living there will age. I think the problem persists even if you use changeLotZoning, although I'm not certain of that.

I just draw out the floor plans of houses I like on squared paper, then recreate them in the residential Neighbourhood.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 15, 16:36:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm in a lot of pain right now so not very coherent, so I'm going to write this in point form to hope it makes sense:

Yes - understood completely.  Thanks for the help.  Sorry you're not feeling well also.  I will give that a try on my next move.  It does make complete sense though.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 November 15, 20:11:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, use SimPE to check that you haven't got any duplicated sims - they'll be in "Unknown" and Unlinked.  You need to copy down their file numbers, and then delete them from the character file - just check first that they have no relationships with any other sim before you do that.  the reason I suggest this is that it may be that they are sims who were known by the previous occupant of the house, and the game is trying to load them all as well as the house.  (I know this can happen, as it just happened in my game.)

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: