More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 18:48:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  EAxis House of Fail: October
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EAxis House of Fail: October  (Read 153614 times)
Yecats
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: EAxis House of Fail: October
« Reply #75 on: 2008 October 08, 06:31:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll post my house once I finish shopping for house-type-stuff.  Just got me a freezer!  Now to get dining room chairs and a cupboard that'll fit in a hole.  LOL.

ENTP = Mad Scientist.  Muwaahaahaa.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2008 October 08, 07:40:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not entirely certain I want to submit this after Witch's comment, but here goes nothing.  In my game, apparently the Curious brothers got sick and tired of all those stairs, moved away, and sold to a commercial developer.  The developer kept all the primary walls for stability purposes, but hated the warehouse look.

I turned 2 Coverup Way into a very expensive, odd-shaped, apartment complex.  There are five apartments, a rental office, a small playground, a fenced pool (for the safety of sim-kids), a hot tub, a rooftop common area, decorated foyers, elevator and stairs access, and a green area with water features.  (I actually live in a complex with a "green area", so I thought I'd include it.)  All the original walls are intact, and the original platforms are incorporated into the new levels.  I was actually just trying to make a couple more levels incorporating the left-side platforms, and it got away from me.  I was about to redo, and my brain said, "Wait!  It's obviously APARTMENTS!"

The furnishings are quirky, and the apartments are SORT OF themed.  Apartment 3, for example, is obviously for your 70's hippy sims, as furnished.  All objects have been tested and the sims can use them, even if they appear to be in odd positions.  I had a lot of fun with this one.

Prices:
1rst Floor: $3,350
2nd floor: $4,161
3rd floor: $3,383
4th floor: $3,022
5th floor: $1,533
Residential Version: $417,828

Exterior View

Apartment 1
First Floor, 2+(3) bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Currently:  Double bedroom, child/teen room, living/dining/great room, chess nook, exercise room, separated kitchen (currently an archway, but could easily be a door), mudroom, outside garden plots
Floorplan:

Apartment 2 (largest)
Second Floor, 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Currently:  Two Double bedrooms, teen room, child's room, nursery, separated kitchen, deck

Apartment 3
Third Floor, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom
Currently:  Double bedroom, teen room, nursery, open plan kitchen, music room, living room, deck

Apartment 4
fourth floor, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom
Currently:  Open plan kitchen, dining nook, living/great room, nursery, teen room, double bedroom, deck

Apartment 5
Fifthe Floor, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
Currently:  1 double bedroom, one bathroom, great room with open plan kitchen

Common Areas:

Decks
Upper Deck:  Hot tub, "sunbathing" loungers, telescopes
Lower Deck:  Bar, Chess, Grill

Pool:  Fully fenced for safety
Playground

Foyers
Middle floors: Seating, small atrium, elevator and stairs

Ground Floor: Seating, small atrium, elevator, stairs, fishtank, statuary, rental office entrance

Entrance (from the outside)
Including the "green section" and lighting.

More pictures: Here

Download the Residential Version
Download the Apartment Version
« Last Edit: 2008 October 08, 07:52:41 by mitchellcjs » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2008 October 08, 07:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hur. Apartments are pretty cool too. I see your theming.  Cheesy The odd shapes make the rooms more interesting.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: 2008 October 08, 09:45:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I certainly can't top that, mitchellcjs. If I had to declare a winner this early in, I'd go with this one.

Brilliant, innovative & gorgeous use of space.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 2008 October 08, 10:10:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, mitchellcjs, that's awesome! I was half planning to do an apartment complex, where each stupid platform level becomes the landing for each apartment, but, man. I can't compete with that. I love the striking colour scheme, especially the exterior, with the bold balcony railing against the neutral walls. Also, way to use diagonals to your advantage! I hated the diagonal walls and doors of the original house, they just seemed so pointless and in the way, but this lot actually works.

Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2008 October 08, 11:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While attempting to open Emma's Flatness to start working on this, I keep crashing out with "Application will now terminate". I have up to seasons, nothing beyond. Halp?

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: 2008 October 08, 13:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I have later EPs/SPs installed than Seasons, would that make a difference?  Undecided

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2008 October 08, 13:03:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Death to EMMA!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2008 October 08, 13:13:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing that is a yes then. Honestly Strangel, it is really, really easy to do yourself, you download and install Mootilda's LotAdjuster, back up your stuff (just in case) and run the program. Find the neighbourhood and name of the lot, click on 'advanced' and on the right hand panel, click on 'flatten'. Go in-game to check if it has worked. Easy-peasy.

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2008 October 08, 18:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In general, each EP changes the format of the lot package, so that they are not compatible with previous EPs.  Using the clean installer will not fix this.  As far as I can tell, all that the clean installer does (for compatibility) is to remove the version information from the package.  This doesn't resolve the fundamental incompatibility of the internal record formats.

So, it might make sense to use the BaseGameStarter and run just the base game to generate the lot, then use the LotAdjuster to flatten the edges.  This should produce a fully-compatible lot for this challenge.

I'd be happy to volunteer my services in generating next month's challenge lot, if people don't want to fool around with the BGS and LA.  I assume that one just uses the clean installer to remove the Curious brothers.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2008 October 08, 19:47:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holee crap, mitchellcjs, the apartment building is ORSUM! I've been trying to decide for weeks whether, what with my total lack of any interest whatsoever is playing apartments, it was worth getting AL just for the witchiness. Suddenly I'm thinking apartments might be kind of cool after all...  Grin

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: 2008 October 08, 20:33:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have empty templates for Strangetown so they have been purged that way, Mootilda. I used to use the AGS/BGS but had quite a few problems with the latest (Ikea) ones and uninstalled them. I am slightly wary of using them-has they even been updated for AL yet? Huh

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2008 October 08, 20:55:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have empty templates for Strangetown so they have been purged that way, Mootilda. I used to use the AGS/BGS but had quite a few problems with the latest (Ikea) ones and uninstalled them. I am slightly wary of using them-has they even been updated for AL yet? Huh

Yes, they've finally been updated.  Numenor was away for a while.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 2008 October 08, 21:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, thanks. I might install them again...gonna back up my stuff first though Cheesy

mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2008 October 08, 21:14:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the compliments, guys.  I think the steampunk version is the best of the best.  I've actually replaced the Curious house with it in the real game.  If we were doing winners, that one would have my vote.
jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2008 October 09, 09:40:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This isn't much of a makeover, I'm afraid, certainly not a patch on SalixTree's or Mitchellcjs's (which reminds me forcibly of a hotel we stayed in once somewhere in Spain).  All I did is remove internal walls, add a couple of floors and wall in the stairways to the stars.  However, it is another of those businesses that just runs itself while the sims go off and do their thing.  Currently in playtesting it's bringing in $20,000 a day, enabling sims to buy vacation homes wherever they like, and demonstrating that sport is good for you and good for your wallet too. 

I bring you Jim's Sports Coverage.  It's big! It's bright! It's beautiful practical! It isn't awesomespecs, though. There's no nursery, though you could easily add another floor if you're hell-bent on spawning. My playtesters are the Picaso couple, who barely like each other and don't seem interested in the spawning process at all, so a nursery would be redundant.

Front

Rear. I know it looks as if it's not weatherproof, but it's obviously too high for even a flat roof. The sims don't complain they're not weatherproof, so I guess there is a roof, just not a visible one.

Ground floor layout

There's one of those magic little garbage chutes next to the snack machines, that never needs emptying. What I really need is some electrified floor tiles in this area, to zap the sims who trash up the place anyway.

Main entrance: here be the ticket machine.

Entrance to the pool area

First floor layout: there used to be more bowling lanes here, but they only ever play one, so I opted for costcutting over authenticity, these being troubled financial times.

A symphony in green ...

Second floor living accommodation

Kitchen: sims insist on serving food to everyone in the place, so this is the only table anywhere. Anyone know a way round this? I'm obviously doing it wrong.

Skilling/chilling zone

It's a mere snip (wanded) at $131,805. I have all EPs and no SPs. 
Available here:  http://tinyurl.com/4lc38l
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2008 October 09, 10:12:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do love that clean sleek modern glassy look. Just right for an entertainment palace.

jim
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2008 October 09, 10:16:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Trouble is, it's the same old, same old.  I need to get out more.
fishy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2008 October 09, 16:25:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello, I am a little leery of unlurking but here is my submition for this month House of Fail. Apologies for the low quality screenies.

"Hi! I'm Ajay and I recently moved into the new swanky apartment called Curiously Curios Condos."

"From outside it looks sleek and and full of greenery!"

"At night, the apartment is well-lit so there is less fear of thieves coming by..."

"On the ground floor and roof, there are many amenities for the residents. "

"Other then me, there are 4 other families living in this condo..."

"Life is pretty good here.... EXCEPT that sometimes I feel that there are eyes watching me from the shrubberies. "

---------------------------------------------

Known design flaws:

Not awesome-specs.
Boring/cramp-y interiors.
Humble might trap himself or other people with his blasted computer.
Large amount of skygardens; flowers might wilt. nodeadflowers-hack recommended. (I placed sprinklers but they might fail.)

But still ,I managed to kept most of the platforms intact. Only 1 was reduced by 2 sqs, which was necessary to convert house to apartment.  Grin
Curiously Curios Condo is Middle range apartments. Rent starts from around 800-1400 per week.

All expansions and Stuffpack required. No Mod/hacks/Customs.
Built from original unflat Curious Brothers House from Strangetown. Place at your own risk on superflat neighbourhood.
Get it here> http://www.mediafire.com/?kxjcnnmp2ox
« Last Edit: 2008 October 09, 16:50:44 by fishy » Logged
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2008 October 09, 21:48:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That looks marvelous.
I especially like the use of the AL roofing. it blended well with the tower

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2008 October 09, 22:35:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very cool.  I like the tower of atrium and the quirky layout.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2008 October 10, 00:20:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, same.  Grin

I did have a chuckle about the child's tower on the roof. I could just picture a little sim child cartwheeling down four storeys in the air,  from a misstep.

You've actually done some of the idea I had. I wanted to do a Hanging Gardens of Babylon type theme. However, I can't find any plants that trail over the edges of the platforms convincingly.

fishy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2008 October 10, 01:13:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, same.  Grin

I did have a chuckle about the child's tower on the roof. I could just picture a little sim child cartwheeling down four storeys in the air,  from a misstep.

You've actually done some of the idea I had. I wanted to do a Hanging Gardens of Babylon type theme. However, I can't find any plants that trail over the edges of the platforms convincingly.

Well since simkids don't sucide...  Tongue
I was going to put higher fences but it kind of ruin the look a little. Oh well, knowing simkids from Strangetown, they will probably float all the way down from the 5th floor! Grin

@mitchellcjs ,Giggy  I was going to use the round roofs for mushroom/fungus growth like effect but the "can't reserve space under stairs" fail'd me. But luckily the AL roofing does look good too.
« Last Edit: 2008 October 10, 13:58:31 by fishy » Logged
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2008 October 10, 02:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I probably have no chance compared to the other awesome entries, but I thought I'd submit mine. I can put up a download link if requested. It's low CC, flat edges, all EP, no SP. ALMOST Awesomespec.

I felt that the Curiouses (Curioi?) would be well suited in a very modern-type living situation. Tell me what you think!

The view from the outside. Yay for gratuitous amounts of glass!

An aerial view. Glass, glass and more glass! Towers intact! There's a staircase (lockable) leading from the vomitorium to the deck/the second floor, in addition to the main stairwell.

Top deck floorplan. So... many... stairwells...

Second storey floorplan. A bare-bones furnished room for the expected baby, with a living room and lots of space for gigantic career rewards.

Ground-level floorplan. Kitchen, two bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, Living/skillbuilding room number 2, hall, stairwell, vomitorium (including The One Desk), and...

The connected greenhouse! This is my favourite part. Unfortunately, due to the spazzy nature of greenhouse rooves, I had to use normal flooring over the greenhouse to allow windows on the floor above. I used semitransparent flooring from MTS2, which also works on ceilings (!), which is lovely. I put down a few sunlamps, just in case the greenhouse walls aren't enough sunlight for plants to thrive. This greenhouse also contains a barbecue (untested for fire-causing ability as of the time of this posting) and a dining room.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2008 October 10, 03:45:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Transparent floors are for creepy people.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: