More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:08:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  Easter Eggs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Easter Eggs  (Read 42642 times)
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
Re: Easter Eggs
« Reply #25 on: 2008 September 18, 11:50:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got the Careless Parent achievement while on my way to the Core.  I think it's very difficult not to, because there will be ecodisasters and Grox invasions while you're on your way, and you can't afford to return, or you'll never make any forward progress.

Space is big.  Not even the beloved Star Control 2 captured how big Space is quite as well as Spore.  But even beyond that, there's a penalty to your jump distance once you start getting close, and it gets worse as you go in.  You absolute MUST have the level-5 drive, and even so there are several places where the gaps between the stars are too large to permit progress, despite the star density near the Core being very high.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 September 19, 02:13:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Space is big.  Not even the beloved Star Control 2 captured how big Space is quite as well as Spore.  But even beyond that, there's a penalty to your jump distance once you start getting close, and it gets worse as you go in.  You absolute MUST have the level-5 drive, and even so there are several places where the gaps between the stars are too large to permit progress, despite the star density near the Core being very high.
I don't think *ANY* game in memory has ever truly captured how BIG space is like Splotch has. As Adams puts it, "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is.".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2008 September 19, 02:30:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had that same quote running through my head since hitting the space stage, and seeing the relative size of my planet to the entire galaxy. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has impressed upon me just how vast space is, not like this. I've long been a fan of sci-fi, countless sci-fi, some spanning multiple galaxies, but, to mangle the quote, "that's just peanuts to Spore." It actually feels vast. Even with my high tech engine, there are planets I can't reach. Arms of the galaxy going completely unexplored. It's mind-boggling, that's for sure.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 September 19, 03:12:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it weren't for wormholes, I'd probably feel like I'd never get to the center. As it is, I'm avoiding it.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 September 19, 07:46:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was going to say that "The trip to the core is a lot farther than the chemist's," but I thought it would fall flat.

At least we know that our critters would survive the Total Perspective Vortex, for pretty much the same reason Zaphod did.

- Gus

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 September 19, 19:23:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got Careless Parent for losing the same colony 5 times - it doesn't differentiate. I had a tiny cargo hold, and since I was running back and forth getting it's T score up, every time I turned my back my enemies would take it (no buildings yet = easy steal)

INFP or something
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 September 19, 22:37:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for actual easter eggs, I hear our own solar system is in this game...
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 September 19, 23:49:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been to Earth.  The system has Merury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.  No Pluto.  Earth, despite what you might think, is not guaranteed to be T3 nor is it inhabited by humans.  It was T1 when I got there, and had all sorts of weird creatures on it.

- Gus

Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 September 20, 00:19:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Poor Pluto. XD It gets no respect anymore.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 September 20, 00:25:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 September 20, 02:33:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Feh. Pluto is a planet if I say it is. We defined what planets are in the first place.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 September 20, 02:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been to Earth.  The system has Merury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.  No Pluto.  Earth, despite what you might think, is not guaranteed to be T3 nor is it inhabited by humans.  It was T1 when I got there, and had all sorts of weird creatures on it.
Wouldn't be surprising. If we mess it up badly enough, it might stop being T3. As for inhabited by humans, we'll be extinct soon enough.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 September 20, 04:03:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll bet Steve was sent out thousands of years ago in game so that we get to the center to find that the race that sent it out no longer exists.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2008 September 20, 08:27:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

- Gus

Mine was T1, but only had trees on it.

I have heard that there is an 'achievement' for destroying it, and that the achievement sticks even if you quit without saving, thus not actually losing Earth. (Which is handy, if you wanted to have more than one race find it, or had other plans for it.)

I kind of feel like I'm in Mostly Harmless territory, here. It's a very "Now what?" moment for me.

Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

Beard is yours for $2.50 at Rose Sims!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 September 20, 14:28:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Palm Greaser: Pay 50 bribes in Space Stage Cheesy

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 September 20, 22:07:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found out that if you spin the galaxy fast enough in the beginning, it vomits pictures of the developers or coders or commissars, or whatever.  How many rare stellar formations have you found?  I've seen the binary system, the black hole, and the stellar disk.  Are there any others?
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 September 20, 22:35:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen the binary system; it's my favorite so far. I have yet to see a black hole, and I'm beginning to wonder why I paid 1.5 million for that wormhole thing. I'll keep an eye out for the stellar disk and any others.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 September 21, 02:35:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the stellar disk most.  It was awesome.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2008 September 21, 03:00:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you look where your badges/missions/etc are, one of the tab lists artifacts you've found. Galactic formations count as 'artifacts', and are ticked off there after seeing them. Basically there's the stellar disk, the black holes, and a bunch of different binary star combinations.

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 September 21, 03:07:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bah.  There are plenty of odd RL stellar combinations.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008 September 21, 04:29:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ended up finding a black hole and a crap load of binaries today. The black hole was cool. I started my approach to the core, but my attempts thus far have been fail. Still looking for that stellar disk.
songsmith
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 September 21, 20:30:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was sent on a space mission to retrieve three llama artifacts. Really makes me wonder about Will Wright.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008 September 21, 21:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Llamas have been with Maxis since the first SimCity, IIRC.  Some of the earlier games, like SimLife, SimAnt, SimSafari, and SimTown didn't have llama references, but those are OLD.
Insanity Prelude
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 September 22, 01:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure there was a llama somewhere in SimAnt. Might have just been in cheat codes though, and I don't have the game anymore to check.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 September 22, 15:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't thnk I remember any llamas in SC1. They definitely appeared in SC2K, though, and I think that's when the llamas business really took off.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: