More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 06:42:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  Over 3000 negative posts about Spore on Amazon
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Over 3000 negative posts about Spore on Amazon  (Read 46141 times)
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
Re: Spore is Review-Bombed, All Thanks to SecuROM
« Reply #25 on: 2008 September 10, 01:20:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting that Amazon.co.uk is pulling the reviews, but not the discussion board. It's making them look worse.

<insert witty comment here>
asthehind
Retarded Reprobate

I think, therefore I am overqualified.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 September 10, 01:23:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whatever the reasons behind it, they've made the news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7604405.stm

By popular demand, Tongue Deer:
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
1800 and counting
« Reply #27 on: 2008 September 10, 01:24:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The bad reviews are over 1800 now.  Geez.

I would get an "arrr" version, but it told me it would take 5 weeks to download.  Guess I'll just wait for them to put it in the bargain bin and wait for something to kill the activation requirements.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
Re: Over 900 negative posts about Spore on Amazon
« Reply #28 on: 2008 September 10, 01:29:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We already have a thread about this.

Go there.

MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 September 10, 01:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why does it take 5 weeks to download the cracked version?  I must be looking in the wrong place or something.  I sure as heck don't want the Sh*trom version.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 September 10, 02:51:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The version I found took maybe 10 minutes.  Well, actually, I have no memory at all of how long it took, but it was a typical 130 kbps download.  I basically followed the link from GameCopyWorld.

Of course, I was only looking for the fixed executable, since I did purchase the game.  The full thing is huge, it comes on a DVD and takes a ridiculously long time to install.  I think it's probably something like 4 GB.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2008 September 10, 03:05:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It took 15 hours for my download. All 3.2gbs. If you want an invite to funfile, PM me.

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2008 September 10, 03:28:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Merged now.  It looks like he was first, though.   Tongue

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 September 10, 03:32:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why does it take 5 weeks to download the cracked version?  I must be looking in the wrong place or something.  I sure as heck don't want the Sh*trom version.
Probably. I got it from btarena or whatever. I normally go through Pirate Bay. Took about 6 hours, and that was the first night it came out.

Yeah, it took about a half hour to install on my rig, which is kind of ridiculous. Especially when you get up at 6 am to babysit it.

Does anyone have a link to the US Spore forums? I can't find them or this supposed fansite listing. No idea why they are hiding all that.
EDIT: Duh, Yahoo!. Why they couldn't link from the site is beyond me. Forums here.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 September 10, 04:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Merged now.  It looks like he was first, though.   Tongue

Meh.  Mine's better. Tongue

ETA: Actually I didn't even look at the times, just saw how many responses there were and decided his had come along later.

EntropyGuardian
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 September 10, 04:33:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Spore is great and nerds need something better to complain about especially things that don't really affect them at all.

*says he will never buy the game because of DRM*
*pirates the game because he wants to play it anyway*

Keep sticking it to the man. Its sort of like the Bus boycott only you're riding the bus without paying for a ticket in protest.
Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 September 10, 07:14:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Spore is great and nerds need something better to complain about especially things that don't really affect them at all.

*says he will never buy the game because of DRM*
*pirates the game because he wants to play it anyway*

Keep sticking it to the man. Its sort of like the Bus boycott only you're riding the bus without paying for a ticket in protest.

Are you serious? There's something wrong with wanting to play a game that you would normally buy to support the creators but don't because it'll FUBAR your computer if you try to do things legally? It's not just "nerds" complaining. Have you had this DRM cause issues with your PC? My CD drive doesn't work anymore because of it. Should I be deprived of completing my sims game collection, a game I enjoy, because of SecuRom when I bought all the ones before EA made such an airhead decision? I don't think anyone should be deprived of a game just because the suits are retarded.

Anyway I think its a real shame that Will Wright spent all this time on this game and his work is going unnoticed because of EA. If he was smart, which he obviously is, he should kill all ties to EA and find a publisher with some common sense. I think he's already proven his worth and shouldn't have issues publishing his games somewhere else. I wish he'd get the sims away from EA but thats not possible now.

Also I'm shocked that Amazon caved with contact from EA. Amazon sales their products, they should be offended that a company sent them a, *probably* intimidating, email asking them to remove the reviews. I was entirely ecstatic when Drea got no cheese with her whine when she came here!
lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 September 10, 08:05:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also I'm shocked that Amazon caved with contact from EA. Amazon sales their products, they should be offended that a company sent them a, *probably* intimidating, email asking them to remove the reviews.

Amazon wants more sales to go through their site. If EA goes to them saying "OMG, lots of criminals are fradulently giving our game a bad review to screw with us", it's in Amazon's interest to believe them.

Quote from: Liz
I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 September 10, 08:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Amazon.com still has almost 2000 reviews, most 1 star.

If it were EA breathing down Amazon's neck, I would have put my money on them going after the Amazon that's in their home country.

That said, the reviews that are getting through on Amazon.co.uk seem to be more about the gameplay, and the average is still only 2.5 stars.

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 September 10, 13:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then you have the problem: How does EA know why they are getting less money? So what if a few people have written them letters or emailed them. Everyone knows that pissed off people are more vocal, so it's quite possible that they only lost a few hundred/thousand sales to continued use of SecuROM. So what if they see posts around forums from fans saying they are pirating the game due to the DRM? Everyone knows they are just thieves anyways, looking for any excuse.

I suppose the thing for them is going to be a comparison of how many sales are lost through the Securom fiasco against how many sales they think they are losing through piracy - or perhaps more pertinently through second hand resale of the game.  Personally, I find this a far more convincing reason for why EAxis uses Securom.   What they don't seem to have quite twigged is that they are still losing the piracy sales and are also now losing otherwise legitimate customers which in a roundabout way (sort of) supports the notion that Securom is as much about resale as about piracy.

You make it so obvious they can't help to see that their use of the DRM is affecting not only long-time fans who would normally buy the product, but also prospectives who see this information freely shared at the point where they would be making their purchase. And you do it somewhere very, very public.

This campaign is extremely obvious. It's also extremely effective. Who doesn't glance at the rating for something before purchasing? When seeing a low rating, who doesn't glance at the comments?

I am enjoying the campaign, I admit it freely, but the thing that is actually going to stop all the stupidity properly is if we find a game we like as much made by some other company which doesn't use a DRM and piss off and play that instead.  Something like Second Life kind of got close to making inroads into EA's captive audience though a) that isn't a game and b) some of the people on there make my flesh creep big time.  Mind you, I have room to talk, I spend a large part of each day posting on sims boards.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Soggy Fox
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 September 10, 15:02:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game is neat, if you like a variety of simulation games in one.  But, I won't buy it either - a housemate did, and then got me a no-cd patch so I can play too, but I'd have been happy just getting the whole thing rom online.

The only reason I could see for Will selling out to EA is that running Maxis took time from creating - the problem is, now his creations are being whored out with STDs and it makes him look bad too.
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 September 10, 15:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Utorrent said it would take 6 days when I first opened it, but it really only took about 7 hours. It might say 5 weeks but it probably won't really take that long.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 September 10, 20:55:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whatever the reasons behind it, they've made the news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7604405.stm

I think the article focused too much on the limited instillations, when as far as I understand it, that's not the main issue with SecureRom.  I've heard it demands the deletion of various legally obtianed programs from the computer before it even lets you play the game.  Also, that it does serious dammage to the computer all on it's own, like a virus.

Also, the comments by the ea person about the DRM preventing you from making 1000 coppies to distrubute on the internet were pretty silly imo.  Aren't coppies allready available online, dispite this DRM that's supposed to "prevent" that?

Overall, the article seemed a bit biased and left me feeling the main point of it was, "A bunch of pirates and hackers are mad that they EA is making it harder for them to illigally copy and distrubute Spore."

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Maybe people just don't like the game.
« Reply #43 on: 2008 September 11, 02:42:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to admit, when I first heard about Spore, a year ago or more, I was enthusiastic.  But having seen all the previews, it looks pretty but boring.  There have been quite a few games like this, where you play it once, and after you finish the tutorial, there's no point in playing it again.

Will Wright is brilliant, but his goal of creating "toys, not games" depends on the toy having enough interesting emergent possibilities to sustain itself. 

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2008 September 11, 12:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to admit, some of the Spore previews I saw were a tad underwhelming. (I won't lie though, I always intended to at least try the thing. I've never been easily won over by promotional garbage, nor lost by it. Stuff that makes it impossible to play the game legally, that makes me keep my money. Bought BV, it refused to run, claiming the CD in the drive was not the CD. Haven't bought another EA product since.) The game though, that's anything but. People may like/dislike different things about it, but there's definitely a lot to explore. Especially once you get out into space.

Every time I think of the space stage, I think of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. '"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."' (Yeah, I looked it up.)

Spore is also very customisable. Even I can make things in it. (I'm better at creatures, I had time to practice with the creator that was released earlier. I made a crappy Enterprise-based space ship, and was actually quite proud of it, until I noticed that there was already a better ship of similar design by Maxis.) And you can customise everything. Even the colour of the planet's land, sea, and sky. (May not be available on home planet, some tools aren't, but you can go to town on any colony planets you might have.) Honestly, you could sit around all day just creating things, if you felt like it. (Though that'd get dull quickly, for me.)

kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008 September 18, 01:48:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA is going to have so many lawsuits on their hands, that they won't even think about a DRM ever again. They will most likely never use anything from Sony either.

I absolutely am cheering this protest on! Try to take away our rights, AND try to get money for the same game more than once! Who do they think they are!

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 September 18, 04:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Noticed the DRM issue even made it into the local paper's 3 paragraph review of Spore.  It's not just 'serious' game reviews that are bringing it up now. Grin

I still lurrve it.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008 September 20, 09:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Overall, the article seemed a bit biased and left me feeling the main point of it was, "A bunch of pirates and hackers are mad that they EA is making it harder for them to illigally copy and distrubute Spore."
This is, of course, rubbish, because it's easier to get a pirated version than the real thing.

Of course, the protesters have ultimately proven to be UTTERLY SPINELESS, since apparently 84% of them bought it anyway.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 20, 09:35:09 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mandapotpie
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 September 24, 17:50:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Someone is using the Amazon reviews to bring a class action suit against Ea over SecuRom. http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/09/23/Spore.pdf

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow. If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 September 24, 18:51:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm so happy, and now everyone at work thinks I'm more of a dork than before. Impressive!

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: