More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 05:30:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Game won't start.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game won't start.  (Read 9306 times)
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
Game won't start.
« on: 2008 August 03, 04:29:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, this started about a day ago, and I have looked through the Google results and the results here on MATY and I am still at a loss.

The issue is this: My game won't start up. I have tried from my desktop shortcut, and from inside the TSBin folder. I even tried starting it with the installer. The hourglass comes up, flips once or twice and then vanishes. When I use the Task Manager, it tells me that Sims 2 is running as a process, but under applications there is nothing.

The only thing that I can think of that I have done to change things as far as my system or game is concerned is I cleaned up my DL folder, I deleted groups.cache and I ran the SimWardrobe's Hack Conflict detector. I clean my DL folder out fairly often (from the Clean Installer, is this a no-no I didn't know about?), I have deleted groups.cache a couple times before, and I have never run the HCD before (and I didn't find any conflicts anyways). Oh, and I also ran Jfade's Wardrobe Wrangler one time, but I didn't change anything and have since deleted it from my hard-drive.

I really hope I don't have to re-install  because I find it to be a pain (who doesn't, am I right?), not to mention that since I use backed up versions and I have kind of forgotten how to do that it will be worse than usual.

Anythign else I should try before I resort to that?

Inge:We judge by God's own criteria of correct punctuation and inspired fightliness.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Game won't start.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 03, 16:05:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your latest EP/SP was anything released since H&M, and if you're playing with the game disk, then the most likely culprit is SecuRom. Check out the SecuRom thread stickied in the Podium for instructions on how to remove it.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
rampancy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 August 03, 16:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been seeing this crop up in my game too, and I've done some googling and found a few other cases. There are two strange things about it:

- It didn't happen before I put my only custom content (Twojeff's college adjuster) in the folder
- It'll freeze exactly like you experience, and have to kill the stalled program about 2 or 3 times and then it'll load.
- Ever since it first happened, I no longer get the Intro Video besides the EA one.*

By my experience, this doesn't feel like a copy protection issue. It's like the game just stops loading once it's being loaded.

* I think I might have figured it out, or something similar. Ever since this error, I've not gotten the intro video. Now, it always took my computer a couple minutes after I cancel out of that video to get to the next loading screen. Maybe, because of this error, the "freezing" is actually loading the game in the background, and just not using the HD at all? It's a stretch, but it does seem like more than a coincidence.

Aria: The way to get souls to the Karma Portals is with Karma Vehicles, which run on Karma Track and are dispatched from Karma Stations.
Jasper:  Well... that sure clears everything up.
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 August 03, 16:59:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your latest EP/SP was anything released since H&M, and if you're playing with the game disk, then the most likely culprit is SecuRom. Check out the SecuRom thread stickied in the Podium for instructions on how to remove it.

I have been using no-cd cracks since about... BV I think, maybe Seasons. But I'll go look in the Securom thread anyways, maybe it got on there somehow. In fact, now that I think about it Securom may be more likely, since I got the Spore Creature Creator a couple weeks ago, and it uses a disc. I will have to go check that out.

<rant>
I hate how Securom seems to be able to linger on your computer, not causing problems. Then BAM issues crop up like mad. Grr.</rant>

Inge:We judge by God's own criteria of correct punctuation and inspired fightliness.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 August 03, 17:03:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fact, now that I think about it Securom may be more likely, since I got the Spore Creature Creator a couple weeks ago, and it uses a disc. I will have to go check that out.

Yup, that's your problem -- the Spore thing comes with suckrot.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zaleth
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 August 03, 17:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not starting up happened a lot to me until someone told me to delete the cache files have you tried that?  You find them in mydoc/ea/sims2  they are at the bottom of the list: accessory and groups cache files. 
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 August 03, 18:11:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not starting up happened a lot to me until someone told me to delete the cache files have you tried that?  You find them in mydoc/ea/sims2  they are at the bottom of the list: accessory and groups cache files. 

I hate when something really simple works. It's so much more satisfying to fix a big problem, that whole "sense of accomplishment" thing. Thanks Zaleth, deleting accessory.cache worked.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 August 03, 20:08:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really gotta wonder how you people bork those files, because I've never, ever, had to delete those files for any reason that you normal people would.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
JennyJenny
Corpulent Cretin

ISTJ? Really?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 August 03, 22:16:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I knew too, because then I could avoid it.

Hellyes
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 August 03, 23:02:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once when my game wouldn't start, I figured out that it was a new Internet Security/anti-virus software I started using.  You have to add the game exec to the firewall allow or exceptions list.  That might not be your case, but I thought I'd say something just in case it might be.  There can be a number of reasons why a game will suddenly not start up.  You might try totally removing the downloads folder and see if that makes any difference.  That way you can eliminate the possibility that it's anything in there that's causing it.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 August 04, 02:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No! Do NOT add the game to your firewall exceptions. TS2 should NEVER be using the Internets on its own. If it is, something is WRONG.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 August 04, 02:13:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS2 has obtained the BANHAMMER OF DOOM from my firewall.

Zaleth
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 August 04, 07:37:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your welcome glad I could help...I wish I knew as well how those files get messed up. 
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 August 04, 19:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm clueless too. I have two computers with the exact same game config/hacks/content. On the one I am currently using, I have to delete the groups.cache file about every third or fourth time I play. One the other one, I have never had to delete that file. This has been going on for years. :/  The computers do have different components. Maybe something's up with the hardware?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 August 09, 10:02:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing that sprang to my non-awesome mind was to ask if it's about HD space or available memory.  Apart from the disk space, new programs sometimes put themselves in 'start up', so it's easy to run out of space for the Sims2 without realising - especially if the files the game is loading are huge and it's paging to disk all the time.  Are big cache files a problem during loading if your available memory isn't that high? 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 August 09, 20:32:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm. C drive has 28GB free and D drive (mydocs) has 118 GB free. I have 4G RAM and an ATI  x1950 card.

The borken cache file is usually around 600KB, although the last one I deleted was over 3000KB. I had been cleaning out my downloads and installing new things before the latest corruption. I assumed that it would probably barf after all those massive deletions and additions.

But, as a rule, if I haven't been doing any major spring cleaning, the groups.cache file is at or around that 600KB size. I have never had to delete any of the other .cache files..just groups.cache. Puzzling.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 August 11, 04:35:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really gotta wonder how you people bork those files, because I've never, ever, had to delete those files for any reason that you normal people would.

The groups.cache file will cease working after it gets to be a megabyte. This is a consistent issue on my setup, at least, and has been tested many, many times. This means one has lots and lots of CC.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 August 11, 08:33:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for that info - useful to know.  Mine is about 256kb at the moment, but I delete it pretty regularly on principle.  Also I had a clearout of old clothes.  I've dumped a lot of downloads from my Base+OFB only days.  If I haven't used them by now, I'm not going to and  anyway all the clothes from the EPs give my sims plenty of choice.

How about that accessory cache?    Does that suffer from the same problems as groups.cache?  Mine's 6,254kb.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 August 11, 13:45:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The groups.cache file will cease working after it gets to be a megabyte. This is a consistent issue on my setup, at least, and has been tested many, many times. This means one has lots and lots of CC.

Well that would explain why I never have to delete mine either.  I have a fair bit of CC clothing, but have not used cc furniture or objects that much.

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 August 11, 15:18:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. I don't use anything but cc furniture. Maybe an EAxis counter will sneak in, and I do generally use their toilets, but that's about it.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 August 11, 15:37:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. I don't use anything but cc furniture. Maybe an EAxis counter will sneak in, and I do generally use their toilets, but that's about it.

Sorry, in Matysdoorp, you might get a nice recolour of a lamp, or perhaps the odd dining chair or two, but generally, you sit on the zebra-sofa-of-maxoid-sadorandom-procreation and you like it (Except for simZazazu, of course.  All she owns is one lawn chair and a tent). Grin

Frankly, I just got too interested in playing.  Furniture was "background" and I'm not really a decorator in any case.  The result of the Play nao! vs. Download moar! contest always resulted in play, and after a while I forgot about hunting for couches, beds, closets, terlets, etc.  The up-side is, I never have to worry about game borkage due to cc objects when a new EP comes out.  That's gotta be worth something, I figure (not much, perhaps, but something, for a given value of "thing").

My game starts fine.
*smug Jolreis are smug.

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 August 11, 18:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only time I had trouble with game borkage due to a cc object was with someone's no-water flowers (this is before I had hacks, so no Perfect Plants) stopping lots from loading after Pets installed.

I actually am more prone to installing bits of object sets anymore. I tend to mix and match pieces that complement each other. If I really like how two pieces look next to each other structurally, but they clash horribly, I just smush together a quick recolor. I do need to hack my cc bookcases and the two old fridges I have to be compatible with FreeTime. Still. I suck. I'm busy avoiding updating my easels.

The good thing about preferring smaller houses is that there's less space to decorate. My rooms look lovely (in the new 'hood I'm playing while denying that I'm dropping my past ones), but that's because there are so few of them and they are so small that it didn't take long. So what if four people and a dog have to share one bathroom? Builds character.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: