More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:54:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can I Move the House?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can I Move the House?  (Read 11812 times)
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
Can I Move the House?
« on: 2005 July 25, 15:37:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys,
Maybe I should put this in the Daily Idiot and nominate myself, but I have a question:  I started building a house in Pleasantville's Uni.  It's not finished, and nobody has ever lived there.  Can I move the lot to Pleasantville?  I know someone around here got worried because he moved a house into the bin, but his had people in it, and mine doesn't.

Thanks,
SJ

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Can I Move the House?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 25, 15:50:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uninhabited lots can be moved in relatively safety: Some amount of garbage is still left behind in the form of isolated name strings, but these are small and appear to be harmless, and can be clipped easily in SimPE.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 25, 15:56:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use SimPE--I'd probably blow up my computer with my idiocy...so I guess I'm gonna have to think about it...to move or not to move?  That is the question...

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 25, 17:28:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dangling text strings is apparently harmless, so if you really want to, it's safe. The orphaned text string corresponding to your moved lot is small and doesn't cause any known long-term problems (although being me, I'm fascist and clean them out anyway).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 25, 19:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, JM.
Although I'm so program illiterate, your post basically read like this to me:

oqwi309gd bflkf;va09 ;hnoe9rg??*#23m  it's safe awo94ijmuw9g0w9rgjwm vlkewm5r/nmva ikjfh kjfklk;WLEM. Huh

Oh, well...
Thanks for your help, though!  I will probably move it now. Cheesy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 25, 19:09:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, well, you could always get an opinion from one of your fellow peasants. My answers tend to be somewhat exacting and technical.

notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 25, 20:41:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys,
Maybe I should put this in the Daily Idiot and nominate myself, but I have a question:  I started building a house in Pleasantville's Uni.  It's not finished, and nobody has ever lived there.  Can I move the lot to Pleasantville?  I know someone around here got worried because he moved a house into the bin, but his had people in it, and mine doesn't.

Thanks,
SJ

If the house was in a University neighborhood, though, no sim will be able to age in it, even if you move it to a regular neighborhood.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 25, 20:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

why is that? Lot zoning? You can change lot zone. Any other reason?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 25, 20:57:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's not really true: If nobody's lived there ever, the controllers should all still be intact, and I'm not sure they'd actually be destroyed even if someone has lived there. The controllers should still either be present, or immediately respawn themselves, even if they are deleted, and when they see it's no longer in the Uni neighborhood, the lot should function correctly.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 25, 21:12:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whats not really true? That you can't change lot zoning or that the house would be unusable?

And where is the post number dealie so I can figure who is replying to whom unless I go back and count all the dang posts. But then perhaps it doesnt matter since you can only tack onto the bottom anyway...nevermind
notovny
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 25, 21:37:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's not really true: If nobody's lived there ever, the controllers should all still be intact, and I'm not sure they'd actually be destroyed even if someone has lived there. The controllers should still either be present, or immediately respawn themselves, even if they are deleted, and when they see it's no longer in the Uni neighborhood, the lot should function correctly.

I just tested it, actually. Took 80 Crumplebottom Lane from Sim State U, moved it ino a regular neighborhood, threw a couple Sims in, and waited until 6 PM. No aging.  Made sure to use the aging on cheat for good measure. No aging at 6PM Monday. No Aging at 6PM Tuesday. It's still running in the background.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 26, 05:25:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, interesting. So the aging controller is buggered? Have you tried evicting them and moving them back in?

notovny
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 26, 13:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like moving them out and moving them back in did fix it.  I sim corrected.

lechapeau
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 26, 14:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I've initially kind of solved my problem, but would appreciate any input from someone 'who knows'.
I'll keep it as short as possible, but I may go on hopefully to make myself clear....I'll apologise now for that.
Basicly, a group of us are building our own neighborhood, hopefully to share.
We have each made houses and community lots. The guy who's idea it was has done some SimPE work to make relationships and circumstances that mean they are not all 'fresh' and give it a story. It was then distributed between the creators to try out.
We found a few bugs, and have tried to sort those, mostly successfully.
My new problem started when someone reported it to me on the EA site that in one house the sims didn't age at all.
(I know, it was easier to upload/download our lots between us on there)
It was one of the houses I'd taken from inside this neighborhood and adapted, with permission, either with regards to the decor or with slight building requirements.
Because the neighborhood was 'in place', I took out the people, moved the house out of that game and into another clean one and redid them, then packaged them to replace the originals.
The lot in question was a changed lot of my own, but I later found the problem affected the other lots not originally done by me as well and only from this neighborhood.
I never realised that the house would continue to contain anything, though I suppose with hindsight I shouldn't be really surprised.
They were built in a normal neighborhood, not in a Uni.
My input was a clean EA building account. I do not use or understand SimPE, and only use boolprop to build, and not on these houses.
My question is really why would a lot behave like this, and would it relate to anything I've mentioned ? 
I'm rebuilding them all cleanly now anyway, but is this just normal ?
I have never seen this before, and although I don't do it all the time, moving someone out of a house and someone else in has never done this before.
I only posted here as it seemed to be similarly related. 

My TS2 custom neighborhoods:
Updated Beacon Falls + OfB & BV subhoods: http://beacon-falls.blogspot.com/
Brand new version of Maple Valley + a subhood & add-ons: http://maplevalley2.blogspot.com/
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 26, 14:47:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but here's a quick list that may help.

DO:
Evict families from an OCCUPIED lot to create an UNOCCUPIED lot.
Install UNOCCUPIED, lots that are clean of hacks.
Package UNOCCUPIED lots in a clean, hack-free environment.
Move an UNOCCUPIED lot to your Lot Bin.
Move an UNOCCUPIED lot from your Lot Bin to your neighborhood.
Install Bodyshop packaged template sims.
Extract To A Bodyshop package, an existing sim via SimSurgery in SimPE.

DO NOT:
Install OCCUPIED lots.
Package an OCCUPIED lot.
Move an OCCUPIED lot to your Lot Bin.
Move an OCCUPIED lot from your Lot Bin to your neighborhood.

This should be simple enough: Occupado = Bad! There are basically no exceptions, unless you consider both your source and destination neighborhoods disposable.

lechapeau
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 26, 16:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, most of the 'Do's' were done.
With what wasn't, as said, I don't personally do SimPE, but the creator of the game does and did use it for relationships and memories.
The original families were supposed to be made in a clean environment, with no hacks and no CC.
They were supposed to have been just made and put into the house, then packaged.
They were supposed to not have met or been played or made aware of a neighborhood around them.
I say 'supposed' as that was what was asked, and can only speak for myself in this.
But it was some of mine that first presented with a problem.
So, if we continue with this project, are you saying it would be best to make the people again in bodyshop and put the houses and sims uploaded separately, then move them in and do the SimPE work all over again ?
And what we did covers what was probably/highly likely wrong with the 'dont's' doesn't it.
The lots I was concerned with were emptied of people, moved out of that neighborhood, then packaged out of that game and put in another clean one, modified and packaged to the exchange. And yet still wouldn't age the people while they were in a lot that had once been in the game.
I thank you very much for replying, and we will have to look at this all again now.

My TS2 custom neighborhoods:
Updated Beacon Falls + OfB & BV subhoods: http://beacon-falls.blogspot.com/
Brand new version of Maple Valley + a subhood & add-ons: http://maplevalley2.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: