More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 12:08:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Need Some Uni Suggestions
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Need Some Uni Suggestions  (Read 7006 times)
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
Need Some Uni Suggestions
« on: 2008 March 21, 03:58:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love what Jade is doing in Thyme with her Academy of Apprenticeship Arts, and I'm trying to incorporate some of the elements she used in a more standard Maxian uni sub-hood. I am using whiterider's Missing Majors Uberpack just for flavor, and have a dorm with all manner of crafting benches and tools.

Basically my students will be expected to earn a major-dependent combination of gold badges, skills (including writing novels, painting a fixed number of paintings, and performing) and hobby goals to graduate. However, I have no idea how, in that setting, I can get my business majors to earn Register, Restocking and Sales badges. (I assume with Cosmetology they can just practice on each other?)

Ideas would be appreciated.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
Re: Need Some Uni Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 21, 04:23:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps the Academy could own a business in the main neighbourhood and the students could be employees there.  One of the BRY set of hacks allows YAs to be hired, although I'm not sure which one (possibly no lame hires?).

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 21, 07:00:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm...possible, and that might be the most reasonable work-around, but visiting the main hood stops the uni clock. Is there any way to have a "work as cashier/sales clerk/stocker" option, like the "work as barista" one, available in the sub-hood?

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 21, 13:39:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They could study badges on Monique's computer.  http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=64137

If you have FT, this computer is not updated for it, but still works.  You just wouldn't get the new FT options.

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 21, 18:14:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Numenor has a Cash Register Trainer (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=215417) that may be useful. I stopped playing uni hoods, so I don't know that they couldn't run a business there. Other than this cash register trainer, I don't know there is any actually object that you can "train" people with, without having them actually work on those skills, except for Monique's computer of course.

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 21, 18:39:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm...possible, and that might be the most reasonable work-around, but visiting the main hood stops the uni clock. Is there any way to have a "work as cashier/sales clerk/stocker" option, like the "work as barista" one, available in the sub-hood?
Not that I've seen.

What I have my sims who own businesses do quite a bit is go up in the attic or somewhere out of the way and meditate during the hours they were supposedly working. You could always make your college students do the same.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 21, 19:16:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Providing they're living on the lot they are practising the badge skills on then Numenor's cash register over at MTS2 should let you practise the cash register skill. If you're having them go to a community lot on the uni campus to practise their skills though this cash register doesn't work as the game sees it as a business register and automatically generates cashiers to man it even when there's nothing to sell.

I don't think there is any way of them practising sales and restocking in the uni hood though. I've been trying to set up something similar to what you describe and it's really frustrating that there's no way to learn these skills. Can people with gold talent badges pass on their skills by talking to other sims? I know sims with high skill points can pass on that skill to another sim by talking to them in FT but I haven't tried with badges yet. Maybe you could have a sim with gold badges that tutors the students if that's the case?
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 21, 19:26:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Providing they're living on the lot they are practising the badge skills on then Numenor's cash register over at MTS2 should let you practise the cash register skill. If you're having them go to a community lot on the uni campus to practise their skills though this cash register doesn't work as the game sees it as a business register and automatically generates cashiers to man it even when there's nothing to sell.

I don't have anything past NL (OK, I do, but I haven't installed anything yet.) However, I know that UNI students can work as cafeteria workers and (I thought) cashiers in UNI community lots. I have a Fortune sim in UNI right now, so I'll confirm this and report back.

Naturally, this is no guarantee that they can get badges via OFB. I won't be able to test that part until I'm done with what I'm working on right now.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 21, 20:15:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

YAs can own businesses in any 'hood outside the Uni or vacation 'hoods, and everyone who lives with the owner in the dorm, or residence can visit it with almost all of the same privileges.  I think this is the easiest way to accomplish what you want, in conjunction with Zazazu's method of meditating for the time spent at the business.

You could have any business owner outside the uni 'hood hire the YAs.  I play with the whole BRY suite and I regularly get YAs in my hiring pool.  Setting their work hours would be a pain for the owner though, since you have to know when each student has scheduled classes, which of course changes.  The other issue is that the YAs won't gain badge points unless you play the business with the owner, so you'd have to sync up the right number of hours for each student.  On the whole I think this is more trouble than it's worth.

The other thing to keep in mind is that sales badges will be easy to get.  Register badges can only be earned in reasonable time with the smartercashier hack.  Restocking badges take days and days.  Several of my business owners built two 10-star businesses before they earned the gold restocking badge.
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 22, 00:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have seasons? Orangeade is your friend.

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 22, 00:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Orangeade is unpredictable though since it can give points in any of the nine badges (did the fix for the FT badges ever get posted anywhere? DO WANT!).

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 22, 00:45:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True. For best performance, max out your floristry, gardening, cosmetology, robotery, fishing and toycrafting badges before drinking orangeade.

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 22, 00:49:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have seasons? Orangeade is your friend.

Orangeade is my enemy in uni, since I want them to EARN the badges.
*Note to self: no orangeade in the dorm...let 'em drink coffee and beer like all good underclassmen...*

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 22, 03:48:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Considering how much of a pain in the ass it is to farm orangeade in useful quantities, if you make them actually farm it rather than use one of several exploitive ways of gaining mass quantities of the stuff, they DO earn it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 22, 06:29:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have anything past NL (OK, I do, but I haven't installed anything yet.) However, I know that UNI students can work as cafeteria workers and (I thought) cashiers in UNI community lots. I have a Fortune sim in UNI right now, so I'll confirm this and report back.
Confirmed this doesn't work: students can't work as a cashier in UNI/NL. Whether OFB added that capability is yet to be seen. I may test this pretty soon: I wanted to clear these six out of college before installing OFB or anything else. But they've made it to their junior year, one Popularity sim has gone permaplat, and so it's all just a matter of time.

I don't think I'll do the custom majors, though. The way I see it, Uni's too much of a grind as it is. I'd rather concentrate on earning an LTW while not failing.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 22, 19:03:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Considering how much of a pain in the ass it is to farm orangeade in useful quantities, if you make them actually farm it rather than use one of several exploitive ways of gaining mass quantities of the stuff, they DO earn it.

I have to agree.  In fact, considering how long it takes to grow enough oranges and lemons, it's a total rip-off that the juice is sadorandom.  After all, if you have to earn all the cheap crafting, farming, fishing and sales badges, before using it to gain a few precious badge points, orangeade isn't much of a friend.  Undecided
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 24, 08:52:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course the young sprogs who drink it probably didn't do any work for it.  I'd bet it was made by their elders and betters trying to give the young ones a good start in life.  They guys making it already picked up most of the badges they needed along the way.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 25, 11:37:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Monique's computer from MTS2 allows your sims to study for all badges. It has not been updated for FT.

More F than you
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: