More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 19:43:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Suggestion: READMe labeling for mass downloaders
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Suggestion: READMe labeling for mass downloaders  (Read 12780 times)
dragonarts
Blathering Buffoon

http://dragcave.net/user/dragonarts

View Profile
Suggestion: READMe labeling for mass downloaders
« on: 2008 March 07, 14:28:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I decided to stop lurking in the underbrush today and ask a question/make a suggestion/air a gripe. I was trolling for hacks and mods that are awesomely updated or created for FreeTime, and once again encountered the "everybody labels their documentation the same" syndrome. Yes, even here where people tend to more more awesome than average.

This is what I'm talking about: when I troll for downloads, I typically grab anywhere from three or four to a couple dozen before I unzip/unrar anything and install it. Then I select a bunch at once, unzip them all, and drag and drop them into my downloads folder. This works great except one tiny and annoying problem. I read readme's, and when you unzip several downloads at once, you get this long string of messages informing you that a file README or rtfm already exists and do you want to overwrite it. This makes it necessary to unzip one file at a time, and change the name on the documentation before proceeding to the next download. Very time consuming. Very annoying.

Is there some unknown rule that says that creators can't label their documentation with a unique filename that gives a hint of the download associated with it? Something like "rtfm-coffeecuphack" would do nicely. Then I can actually *read* all the rtfm's without laboriously unzipping each one and relabeling them manually myself.

I don't know; maybe I'm the only one this bothers. It's possible that I'm the only one actually reading these things, but since the nice creators went to all that work to write the things, I figure they might even have something useful to say, and I should do them the courtesy of reading the thing.
BattyCoda
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Suggestion: READMe labeling for mass downloaders
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 07, 14:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As an aged and actually properly trained software engineer, I say "Hear! Hear!". While I do understand the
engineer mentality of "I'm the only one who is important here.", proper documentation ( including naming conventions )
really does add value to a product. ;

Fake edit: I'm sure there are punctuation errors in that paragraph, just so you know.
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 07, 14:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's why I always unzip them to their own folders.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 07, 15:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not a viable option for the Director's Cut.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 07, 15:10:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never actually read the manuals, so the manuals are written and maintained with all the care and attention of someone who never reads manuals unless something goes wrong. I suggest you do likewise. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 07, 16:28:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always look up new hacks before I download them.  Roll Eyes

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 07, 17:46:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hacks here are always zipped so even if you download a bunch at the same time it's only one extra double click to open the zip file once you've downloaded it and read the manual. That way you can still unzip the whole lot at once (to save on copying and pasting) but you've already read the manual so it doesn't matter if it's overwritten. Or you could rename them yourself before unzipping them to the destination folder.

I know this doesn't work for rar folders though sadly.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 07, 17:53:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, I will either get the directors cut and pull the ones I do not want. In which case I know what I am getting obviously, or I will download the files separately and open the rar, pull out the readme, rename it and then pull the other file out. Long, but does what I need.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 07, 17:53:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I keep the zips in a big folder someplace, in case I ever need to RTFM

INFP or something
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 07, 18:11:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm with Morriganrant - hacks tend to be "load and forget" files.  Either I get a director's cut and know what I'm getting ahead of time, making a manual/rtfm file superfluous, or I'm looking for an individual mod, which means I would read the readme/rtfm before installing.  In any case, I would never want to download the rtfm file for a mod into the Downloads directory.  Clutter.

Tribulatio proxima est
GTADaddy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 07, 18:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never had too much of a problem with that. Maybe because I keep my downloads organized in folders named for what it is. For me it is much easier to keep track of what I have, than just installing everything to the same folder. As far as the Director's Cut, I downloaded it, but didn't install it, only because I wouldn't use everything in it. I came up with the system I use after first installing everything directly into the downloads folder, then scratching my head to figure out what was in there when my game had issues with something.

I did try the a couple programs made for handling the installation of custom content, but the files did not seem to be that organized to me.

What I ended up having, is, one directory for everything in zip or rar form, and an identical folder structure in my downloads folder with the package files (so far I have not had any issues with something that needed to load before something else). To keep things simple, each folder in the directory with the zips and rars has a "1 installed" folder for what I installed in my game. If something does not work correctly, it is very easy to remove it from my downloads and move it out of the "1 installed" folder.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents on it.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 07, 20:58:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the desktop I have a hack folder, inside this is a folder for each creator plus one for misc. This is my 'to be processed' folder. I unrar the files here. The unrared files go in the game in the same hack folder structure. The zipped/rared files, once they've been processed, go in a folder on my C:Drive. The C Drive folders keep the hacks in a folder corresponding to the current EP. When a new EP comes along I make a new folder.

I usually only read rtfms for hacks that are new to me.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 07, 21:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I rename each rtfm as I unzip, so that I have a copy of each.  I guess I like to have them in case I need to refer to them for some reason.  Also, I keep my little sister updated on the hacks here, and e-mail her anything new she needs, so it is nice for her to know what she's getting.  Not that she reads them.  Anyway, if anyone wants my renamed rtfm's, I have most of the Director's Cut, plus a few more.  Here ya go.

* MATYrtfm.zip (84.66 KB - downloaded 205 times.)
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 08, 01:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vista, suprisingly has one nice thing about this, when you drag and drop the zip contents to the folder, it'll ask you if you want to rename the incoming files if their duplicates, readme(1).txt, readme(2).txt.

Morrowind's mods suffer this same issue, and there you can't put them in subfolders.
Xuriel
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 08, 02:05:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vista, suprisingly has one nice thing about this, when you drag and drop the zip contents to the folder, it'll ask you if you want to rename the incoming files if their duplicates, readme(1).txt, readme(2).txt.

I don't have Vista (and I never will) but I use 7-Zip, which lets me auto-rename the RTFMs as I unzip files. Works for me.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 08, 02:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just unzip everything into folders. Sometimes I get forgetful about what a mod does.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 08, 02:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I generally phail at organisation and I just unzip EVERY bit of CC I have into the one folder (which contains 523 files, 4 folders for replacements Roll Eyes). The only things that have their own folder are default replacement skins, eyes ect.

I d/l the DC because I know everything in there is good, so I don't fuss about the RTFM. For other hacks, I generally know what it is and what it does, so no fusses there.

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 08, 03:13:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find Pescado's RTFMs amusing, though they generally thank the same Usual Suspects, and simply rename the file by using copypasta before moving them to a holding tank outside of the Downloads folder proper. I just copy the name of the hack and paste it over the readme and add RTFM at the end.

This is when I download individual hacks rather than a DC version.

Before I add new shinies, I do RTFMs to see if I want them, even if they are Awesomeware. Generally, I do.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2008 March 08, 04:53:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,2086.0.html

Copy the relevant texts, and make your own rtfm for the DC.

Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 March 08, 07:43:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This isn't the perfect solution, but it might help. 7Zip gives you the option to auto-rename when mass-unpacking.  It will rename to readme1.txt, readme2.txt, etc., but at least you don't have to unpack files one at a time and you don't lose the files with duplicate names.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
dragonarts
Blathering Buffoon

http://dragcave.net/user/dragonarts

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 March 08, 16:24:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, so many awesome ideas for solutions. I liked El Presidente's reply best, but of course he is the supreme awesomeness, so of course he doesn't need to check readme's to see if there's further instructions included that weren't given in the thread. He undoubtedly knows exactly what each mod/hack does by telepathy and shear genius. I, however, am not so awesome, so I need to read stuff.

I do use Vista's rename feature for zips, but if I use Winrar for the rar's, it doesn't rename stuff for me. I may have to try 7zip. That does rar files too, right? Even though my new computer has lots of hard drive space, I'm trying to keep it uncluttered so I've been deleting the zip/rar after I unpack and install stuff. I may have to change that, especially as I've encountered a problem with one of the hacks I use Cry. I checked them all pretty carefully before putting them back in my downloads folder when I installed Free Time, but I didn't go to a vacation hood. Everything looked fine until then. The error log isn't really helping me find the culprit because what it's telling me is the object causing the error is a community lot populator. I yanked my downloads folder, and am going back through trying to figure out which hack could affect community lot populators, and putting stuff back slowly (again) and testing in the circumstances that originally caused the error. I've reread all the readme's I still have, but that hasn't helped much yet.
Lyra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 March 08, 23:03:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put all my hacks (actually, all my custom content) into their own separate folders. It goes - what it is (hack, CC etc), where it's from, who created it, name. This helps with readmes because they go in the folder with the hack.

I also have a spreadsheet with all of my hacks, when they were updated and a link to it's readme so I can reference when I have to update something without having to click through a bunch of folders.

Works for me Cheesy
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 March 09, 05:42:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, 7Zip works on .rar files, too. That's what I got it for in the first place. Besides that, it has plenty of useful features and all. You won't lose anything by giving it a try.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 March 09, 07:57:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I checked them all pretty carefully before putting them back in my downloads folder when I installed Free Time, but I didn't go to a vacation hood. Everything looked fine until then.

I might be entirely wrong, but this sounds as if you literally placed your hacks from your Bon Voyage downloads folder into your Free Time downloads folder. If you've done this, then I know what your problem is. Many FFS hacks have been updated so you shouldn't use the copy you had before in FT. You should download a fresh copy from the hack directory. If I have misunderstood your post then I'm sorry for wasting your time with this explanation.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2008 March 09, 11:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I rename each rtfm as I unzip, so that I have a copy of each.  I guess I like to have them in case I need to refer to them for some reason.  Also, I keep my little sister updated on the hacks here, and e-mail her anything new she needs, so it is nice for her to know what she's getting.  Not that she reads them.  Anyway, if anyone wants my renamed rtfm's, I have most of the Director's Cut, plus a few more.  Here ya go.

that's what I do to - I refer to them pretty regularly when I forget what a hack does.  I suspect the rtfm's tell you what the mod did when it first came out rather than what it actually does these days.  I always go to the forum if I'm wondering about things I know have been updated... harder jobs, saner LTWs....phone hack...

Thanks for the list - I'm checking it against mine next.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: