More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 18:59:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  The Challenge Challenge!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Challenge Challenge!  (Read 135548 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: The Challenge Challenge!
« Reply #125 on: 2008 March 23, 06:07:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why should tinkering be banned? That's how *I* learned *MY* mechanical skills. I messed with stuff until it broke! Destroying household furniture is no more wrong than cleaning things is for cleaning points. Besides, you don't need tinkering to break an item. If you want to destroy an object, just hit "use" repeatedly until it breaks. Items are damaged per-use, and break per-use, not based on how heavily used they are. Which is why computers break when you simply step away from them, not when you turn them off, like real computers.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2008 March 23, 12:42:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know you don't need it, I just thought from the earlier comments that it would make it easier or quicker to break things than just using them all the time. If that's not the case, there is no real need to ban it.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2008 March 23, 12:57:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had forgotten that too - yes, why not. Although perhaps I ought to change the rules about seasons so every season has to appear once so that you can't grow eggplants all year round - or the rest of the fruits/veggies.

Ban eggplants completely, or it gets ridiculously easy. It's no problem whatsoever to gain a silver gardening badge and raise enough eggplants to max all skills within two seasons. Who needs community lots? Befriend every idiot strolling by. If there's not enough walkbys, have blind dates, order grocery, pizza etc. Find a suitable job. Reach top of career. End of story.

It's just not interesting to just reach the top of a career. Even without eggplant juice, it's no challenge, just tedious.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2008 March 23, 13:02:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eggplants can be grown all year regardless of reasons. Winter makes it slightly less friendly if they are exposed to actual snow, but it becomes a nonissue if they're grown in a basement with lamps or in a greenhouse. Still, eggplantery is normally the slow-boat-to-nowhere approach of skillgaining. 2 Seasons (10D) to max all skills? Normally, SLOOOOOW.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2008 March 23, 14:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yes, it IS slow. But still faster than building logic skills with only crosswords or cleaning skills by mopping puddles. You could of course avoid jobs that require logic or cleaning, in which case you could reach the top of the career before the harvest, if you're lucky with the working days/hours.

By the way - what about charisma? Is there a way to gain charisma skill points without a "skill building" object? Quite obviously, mirrors are banned, too.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2008 March 23, 15:24:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not by using any kind of object, there isn't.  Grin

I don't use eggplants ususally, I didn't realise the skill increase was that much.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2008 March 23, 18:30:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not by using any kind of object, there isn't.  Grin

Aspiration rewards and career rewards are banned. Dates give cleaning points. There aren't social interactions that give charisma, are there? I think schmooze is based on number of skill points already gained, and doesn't give a chance of adding them? I'm at a loss as to what you're referring to, especially as you don't BV (vacation bonuses upon returning?).

ISTP
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2008 March 23, 19:31:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if it is normally possible for a pregnant sim to go to work. The carpool just doesn't show.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2008 March 23, 20:35:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You kinda have to use your own cars. Stupid EAxis and their dumb idea that some fat cow should just lie there being bloated in my sight all day. BEGONE! Also, moar Ellatrue torture in next Awesomeland. Show up and contribute to the plot! Or I'll throw you in a vat of boiling sharks.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2008 March 23, 22:32:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Boiling sharks?  Cheesy

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2008 March 23, 22:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Much of this challenge depends on chance. Does that help?

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2008 March 23, 23:10:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yes, it IS slow. But still faster than building logic skills with only crosswords or cleaning skills by mopping puddles. You could of course avoid jobs that require logic or cleaning, in which case you could reach the top of the career before the harvest, if you're lucky with the working days/hours.

By the way - what about charisma? Is there a way to gain charisma skill points without a "skill building" object? Quite obviously, mirrors are banned, too.

I tend to ignore that I have Pets installed (apart from the nifty floor dividers), but isn't it possible to train charisma by talking to one of the caged pets?  Is a caged pet a skill building object?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: 2008 March 24, 01:25:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Talking to caged birds gives charisma, yes.

Digging for treasure and then filling in the holes gives you cleaning points.

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2008 March 24, 10:33:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use eggplants ususally, I didn't realise the skill increase was that much.
It is - one eggplant juice gives you one random skill point, no matter how high the target skill is.

One question about the retiring thing: Do we actually have to wait until the sim becomes an elder?

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2008 March 24, 15:03:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gaining cleaning skills: Tinker with shower until it breaks, then mop up puddles for hours.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2008 March 24, 20:22:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One question about the retiring thing: Do we actually have to wait until the sim becomes an elder?

Yes.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2008 March 25, 04:35:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gaining cleaning skills: Tinker with shower until it breaks, then mop up puddles for hours.

Also, non-FT strategy: Make sim zero-neat-points, add cheap shower, mop up puddles for hours.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2008 March 25, 09:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes.

Heh. I know that you can only retire as an elder. I've just been wondering how it adds to the challenge if you have to wait until elderhood before ending the challenge (in case you reach the top of the career while still an adult, that is). The goal is "Reach the top of a career", after all.

Skill points:
Move the sim into an empty lot, and build/buy/furnish the house however you like except you cannot buy or make, at any point:
Anything which can be used to build skills

Perhaps you should add "receive as a gift" to the bold part, or add a rule that the challenge sim must not be invited by another household ever. Otherwise, you have a big, fat loophole.

simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2008 March 26, 23:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I suppose there is no need to make them be an elder by the end of the challenge, it just prolongs it if you managed to get to the top before you got to elder. Instead I could always add a time bonus: 1 point for each day left until age transition (and ageing would have to be turned on, evidently.)

sloppyhousewife: (For the part about recieving objects as gifts etc.)
I think your suggestion makes sense. I haven't played with nightlife very long so I forgot about date/outing rewards etc. So any rewards recieved should be sold immediately.
ETA: Just realised you meant give as a gift, which means the inviting part makes sense now, too. So I should add to that list "be given as a gift" since you could play another family, hang around on a community lot, and wait for your challenge sim to show up (or show up as a walkby) and give him or her the gift that way without inviting them over.

Right, so eggplant juice should be banned. Caged birds should really be classed as a skill building object, even though they are not an object as such.

Ellatrue:
You could also only time woohoo so that your pregnant sim has their normal "weekend" as their maternity leave so they don't incur any penalties. However, having children isn't a requirement, more a points bonus as they make the challenge harder.

The thing I was hinting at earlier is that it's possible to gain skills by random chance card outcomes. It is also possible to be promoted by chance card even if you do not have the required skills or friends.

The community lot restriction was not intended to make it difficult to meet people, more to stop the time machine effect.

If this post sounds arsey, it's not meant to, I am about to fall asleep.

Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: 2008 March 27, 00:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about pulling strings? Find a sim who's high-level in your sim's chosen career, and have a date with them. That could get you a fair few promotions.

FIDE rating 2328
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2008 March 27, 13:23:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA: Just realised you meant give as a gift, which means the inviting part makes sense now, too. So I should add to that list "be given as a gift" since you could play another family, hang around on a community lot, and wait for your challenge sim to show up (or show up as a walkby) and give him or her the gift that way without inviting them over.

Yep, that's what I meant - or just invite the challenge sim over and stuff his/her inventory with skill building items.

One question about the computer and stereo exception: Does it mean that the challenge sim is actually allowed to build skills with them, or that s/he may *have* them, but not use them to gain creativity/body points?

simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2008 March 28, 22:56:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, they are allowed to build skills with them.

Pulling strings? I thought that was a myth? Although judging by the effect of sleeping with your professor in Uni... I wouldn't put it past them. Cheesy

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2008 March 28, 23:01:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A promotion by getting strings pulled has happened to me ONCE, but then, I don't do many outings, and my sims don't usually date people in the same career as them soo....

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: 2008 March 29, 17:01:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see that skill-building objects are banned, but what about skill-building build mode stuff? Specifically, swimming pools.

FIDE rating 2328
skoop
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2008 March 29, 19:03:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How can you build charisma without skill building objects or caged pets?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: