More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 10:43:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  game run problems, with no saved data.. huh?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: game run problems, with no saved data.. huh?  (Read 8332 times)
verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
game run problems, with no saved data.. huh?
« on: 2008 January 10, 22:02:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i hit a wall awhile back trying to install the seasons..   and it wouldnt run.  not even when i moved all my data aside and started it with allowing it to make an all new save directory.   since i had a dumb graphics chip i figured that was the problem.   and i was burnt on playing sims all the time so i took a break.  so while computer was in shop for something else i had a graphics card installed.  now all sorts more stuff runs.  i got the seasons on and the celebration pack.   they run fine with no data, and im slowly adding my stuff in.  but im behind.  i load the h&m pack and ...  wont run.  not even when i move my stuff aside again.   im playing with deinstalling it and trying just bonvoyage..  i  loaded bonvoyage and actually got a cursor..    but maybe H&m is dragging it down. so like.. what is it?   is anyone else having this kind of problem?   i mean i'll click on the game and it quits without saying anything.  highly annoying.   

whats the name of that thing i run again to find out my graphics card? i forget now but i think i got nvidea..  it was one of the ones maxis supports intentionally.   xconfig..   something like that?

thanks in advance for the help.

Life is tough.
Life is Tougher if you act STUPID.
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
Re: game run problems, with no saved data.. huh?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 January 10, 22:15:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My god this was painful to read.  Is your shift key broken? You seem to be missing.. oh say... CAPITAL LETTERS?

Ok this is what I've got so far minus bullshit pointlessness.
By "Data" you mean "Custom Content" or "Downloads" or "Saved game"
You installed Seasons, it didn't run.
You got a new graphics card.
Seasons and Celebration now work.
H&M... doesn't appear in your game? Lol "Deinstall"
Bon Voyage.. doesn't work either?
You get an application crash?

I think you mean dxdiag.  Or you could just look in your system specs in My Computer.   To be honest, it sounds like your comp needs more of an upgrade than just the video card.  Perhaps new ram, processor etc.  There are all sorts of reasons for an application crash.

Have you even checked that your computer is capable of running the Sims games? Go to the sims2.ea.com and double check the system requirements.
« Last Edit: 2008 January 10, 22:24:57 by Tigerlilley » Logged

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 January 10, 23:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

data means all data.  everything.   the entire custom directory was moved aside and started with all new virgin stuff made by the game.   

yes, my computer is capable of playing the sims2.    the requirements of the game are quite low and the game actually will barely play on a computer with those requirements.  note that i said that i was playing the sims all the time before.   mine is far more powerful then the requirements and played up to pets with no more problems then people normally have with all the bugs, except for the problems caused by having a graphics chip.  then, as i said, after i got the chip changed to a board i was able to play the celebration and seasons just fine.   this indicates that the computer is capable of playing the sims2.

duh, i deinstalled.  that was not the question.    anyone can not play the sims and then not have a problem. i dont need a bulletin board to figure that out. 

after some experimentation,  right now i can run up to bonvoyage just fine, at least with virgin data.. yes all the data.   its just when i put the h&m pack back on after that it causes the game to just disappear with no visible sign of anything, including an application crash.  i get the hourglass, and then it goes away.  nothing of interest in the logs either.

thanks for the dxdiag.  whether its the graphics card or not,  checking it and then upgrading the driver is a good thing for me to check and i couldn't remember the name of the program. 

Life is tough.
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 January 11, 00:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you mean uninstall. Tongue

Ok so its H&M thats causing you issues? Odd.  Someone more awesome than me might be able to help you with that.  I doubt its a graphics thing if every thing else is working fine.

Edit: I've read that a few hairs from MTS2 can cause H&M to crash if you have them installed in your game.  But if you are running H&M over a clean game.. it makes no sense.  Sorry I couldn't help further.
« Last Edit: 2008 January 11, 00:10:43 by Tigerlilley » Logged

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 January 11, 00:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes its just H&M.  i double checked by reinstalling  back over bon voyage after upgrading my video driver.   still causes
game to halt at black screen with arrow cursor.  nothing in logs at all of interest, it starts reporting things.. and
thats all it wrote. 

i thought of the video driver because oddly enough, thats what used to happen with body shop and my chip.  or
rather the earlier behavior where it would get an hourglass and then just die.   eventually they fixed bodyshop
for that intel chip,  and things were good through pets until i got to seasons and celebration.   

yup, new folder entirely. not a hair from anywhere.  unless..   i made modifications for custom stairs in the
game portion of the system.   i could try removing those....

well, thanks for the attempt. i might wait around and see if anyone else reports an issue though.  its a nvidea geoforce
5200 card.    if there if something wrong with the stairs or the card i would think someone else might have noticed the
same thing.  its especially odd because you would think a 'stuff pack'  would put less new requirements on the system
and the graphics then the whole bon voyage expansion would.  yet its definitely H&M that hangs...

what DOES H&M stand for, anyone?

and are they EVER going to fix the 'find your own bed bug'?   inge's hacks are getting further out of date..    the
clothing controller vase no longer works either and that was my best way of making sure everyone didn't wander
around all day in their jammies.   i used to set it for 'everyday'  and put one in every hallway and then people would
change out of pool/gym,work/jammies/underwear as soon as they came in without having to worry about getting
all the modified doors.    is there anything to replace this now?

Life is tough.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 January 11, 01:05:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

what DOES H&M stand for, anyone?

Hennes & Mauritz

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 January 11, 01:11:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here, some New Year presents for you, as these keys are obviously missing from your keyboard.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 January 11, 14:59:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And here's a dictionary from me:

Happy new year.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 January 11, 18:05:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I understand:   
1) Your game does not start up.
2) You are using old hacks which you admit are out of date.
3) You have the typing skills of a hamster.

It is entirely possible that some CC or hack is incompatible with your game.  Considering the disorganized way in which you post, I would suspect that your Downloads folder is similarly disorganized and has not been cleaned out in several ice ages.

Clear your Downloads of all hacks and test.
If this does not solve the problem, clear out all CC objects and test.
If this does not solve the problem, clear out clothing meshes and test.

Do not reinstall oldversioned hacks.  Get awesome director's cut for your latest EP and install those only.  Add hacks from other modders at your discretion, but possibly one or two at a time to ensure that they are compatible.

If it is an nvidia issue, use search to see if someone else has discussed and suggested a fix.

Tribulatio proxima est
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 January 12, 01:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, thanks for the attempt. i might wait around and see if anyone else reports an issue though.  its a nvidea geoforce
5200 card.    if there if something wrong with the stairs or the card i would think someone else might have noticed the
same thing.

I had H&M Stuff for a time while using a Nvidia 5200 and didn't have that problem so I doubt that it's the card.

Your ears hear but you don't listen,
Your eyes look but you don't see,
You complain about things gone wrong,
And then put the blame upon me.
verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 January 13, 03:02:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i posted some secondary questions after the first issue.  which was posted in timewise order from when i first got the game,  which is exactly the most useful format i found in my proffessiolnal life.  had you read this you would have noted that i had removed entirely the custom data folder.   and i again specified that i had removed ALL the custom data in the second post.  all in most vocabularies usually means ALL.  which means custom hacks and download directories.  if you want to play games with petty insults thats fine.   now if you dont want to answer, thats fine.  be aware though that a senator's rank on a game bulletin board does not automatically impress someone who made their living for twenty years doing unix administration, system debugging and programming in the real world. 

Life is tough.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 January 13, 03:44:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, it's mainly your typing that has caused the snark towards you. It makes it difficult to understand you and painful to read.

Have you modified any other files other then custom stairs? (Have you tried using The Scriptorium at mts2 instead of changing the stair texts? Shouldn't help in this instance but it's something to think about getting later.) A camera config or wall config perhaps?
Have you removed the entire user directory, I realize you have said you've removed all user data but sometimes people only mean the downloads folder and do not realize that the entire sims2 folder in your My Documents is user files.
You've tried deleting the groups.cache before running? Just covering the bases here.

err maybe something here may help ....or not ...just a thought. You may want to skim all of the problems and some problems are listed under other problems so look around a bit. you may run across something useful.
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Halp%21

It may just be that H&M is the straw that broke the camels back. SPs are weird, there are a lot of people who seem to have graphics problems with them, when seemingly they shouldn't and other problems besides.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 January 13, 17:56:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i load the h&m pack and ...  wont run.  not even when i move my stuff aside again.   im playing with deinstalling it and trying just bonvoyage..  i  loaded bonvoyage and actually got a cursor..    but maybe H&m is dragging it down. so like.. what is it?   is anyone else having this kind of problem?   i mean i'll click on the game and it quits without saying anything.  highly annoying.   

What disc are you using to try and start up the game- Seasons, H&M, or BV? You don't run off the H&M disc if you have Seasons and/or BV installed.
Lady Moiraine
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 January 13, 19:58:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your game doesn't start at all, remove the Groups.cache from the Sims2 folder.

ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 January 13, 22:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't Securom come with H&M? Maybe the problems have something to do with this? Check sticky thread about how to remove Securom.
H&M is a Swedish chain of clothes stores, gone global. Name means Hennes (=Her, as in women's clothing) and Mauritz (a guy name, for their men's clothing), and was originally 2 clothing chains (Hennes and Mauritz) that merged and then got the name H&M. All Swedes grew up with them, its like IKEA (ok, maybe Wal-Mart or something) but for clothes for us.
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 January 14, 00:06:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt it is a SecuRom issue.  Bon Voyage also has SecuRom and that one is running fine.  Plus, SecuRom is not likely to cause a crash.  More a "Your cd is not in the drive".  And other cd drive, cd writer, system restore, and firewall disabling goodness.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 January 14, 03:28:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and are they EVER going to fix the 'find your own bed bug'?   inge's hacks are getting further out of date..    the
clothing controller vase no longer works either and that was my best way of making sure everyone didn't wander
around all day in their jammies.   i used to set it for 'everyday'  and put one in every hallway and then people would
change out of pool/gym,work/jammies/underwear as soon as they came in without having to worry about getting
all the modified doors.    is there anything to replace this now?
Sleepclock, Bathroom Uses You. The Sleepclock makes sure everyone finds the right beds you have marked out for them, and the combination of bathroom uses you makes them use their morning shower to change back to standard uniforms. Get the Director's Cut. Accept no Kewian-based substitutes!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 January 14, 05:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pbbthbbhh!!... as if I do any of this stuff... Tongue

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: