More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 08:43:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Just how the hell many pictures do you have to acquire on vacay...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Just how the hell many pictures do you have to acquire on vacay...  (Read 12915 times)
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Just how the hell many pictures do you have to acquire on vacay...
« on: 2007 December 07, 04:15:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To be able to order an album?

And do all the pictures have to be taken by the same sim, or do pictures taken by anyone in the family/party all count? I'm assuming/hoping it's the latter.

I'm not huge on taking snapshots period, so even when I try for an album, I never accomplish it.

If it turns out to be 20 minimum or something, I will be really miffed.

I just mostly want the memento filled in more than anything.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Just how the hell many pictures do you have to acquire on vacay...
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 07, 04:35:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did one with two photos.

Are you having trouble ordering it? Use a computer. Make sure it's either a Maxis one or cc updated for BV.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 07, 04:45:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ohhh, computer.  Embarrassed

It was a non-updated-for-bv computer in that house too.

I don't know why I assumed "order" meant via phone.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 07, 08:10:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh. I got an album with ONE photo, I wanted to see what the album would be. The framed prints are much more fun IMO.

More F than you
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 07, 09:52:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can fulfill the memory with just one photo, but then it will be delivered as just one framed photo.  If you have two pictures you get an album of sorts.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 07, 10:47:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can fulfill the memory with just one photo, but then it will be delivered as just one framed photo.  If you have two pictures you get an album of sorts.

IIRC, you have to explicitely send pictures to the "album bar" on the right to get an album. I've never tried to order more than one framed photo at a time, though.

Do you really get the memory with just a photo?

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 07, 11:30:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does this give us a way to organise photo's in game or can you only use it for holiday snaps?

Some of my albums are huge and it would be nice to divide into sub-albums in game rather than messing around with dummy houses to store earlier chapters of a story.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 07, 15:45:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does this give us a way to organise photo's in game or can you only use it for holiday snaps?

Some of my albums are huge and it would be nice to divide into sub-albums in game rather than messing around with dummy houses to store earlier chapters of a story.

No, it does not really work for sub-albums. I am using the Album Editor ("Sim Album", I can't look up the proper name because I am at work) from MTS to edit and store stories. It is a very handy program if you are writing a lot and want to make the stories available to friends without putting them on a homepage or the official sims site.
I had the same problem with some of the stories being 60 pages long (html with 6 pictures on each page). All you have to do is to store the previous .xml in another folder and then replace the one in the game with an (empty or almost empty) backup copy if available. Otherwise you have to delete the pictures from the story one by one. You can always edit the previous stories with SimAlbum even if you don't have them in the game anymore. It is more cumbersome, but it works.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 07, 16:25:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quoting myself, from BoolProp. This is how I organize things, and it works really, really well for my story telling style.
Quote from: Zazazu
Well, what I do may be a bit too technical and it takes a bit more prepwork, but I like it better than having a dummy sim. Let's see if I can post clearly.

First off, you need two programs. One is SimPE. If you have BV, you'll need the QA version as it's not updated yet. This is available at MATY until the official is out. As always with SimPE, be careful what you change and follow directions closely. You'll also need the Storybook Viewer, which really is an essential for storywriting anyways.

Now the nitty-gritty. Whenever you move a sim over to college or out on their own for a bit, your game considers this a new household and generates a weblog (story file) for that household. If you send an heir to college the first generation, you already have an unused story file floating about in the ether, lonely and unused. Why not give it a purpose? Open up the Storybook Viewer, then click on the open folder icon to open a file. You'll need to bring up your MyDocuments/EA Games/Sims2/Neighborhood00X/Storytelling folder (Neighborhood00X is a wildcard for whichever 'hood number the 'hood you are playing in is). Now you'll see a whole bunch of garbled number-string file names starting with "weblog". Open one. Is it blank? Lovely. Write down the name of this file on your handy-dandy notepad. If the first one wasn't blank, keep opening weblogs until you find a blank one.

Now close the Storybook Viewer. Open up SimPE. On the top menu bar, on the far right, you'll see an icon that shows a bunch of little figures and says "Neighborhood Browser" on mouse-over. Click it. Pick your 'hood, then "Load" (or Start, I'm away from my game computer). Wait 10 years. Once it's done loading, look on the right side below the menu bars. There's a whole bunch of sorts listed for each file type in your 'hood. Click on the "Family Information" file tab. You'll see a list of your families come up on the left. Click on the last name of the family you are wanting to change the album for. (Note: If I'm recalling incorrectly, it may be in the Lot Info file section instead.) Verify that you have the right family by looking over the individual sim names listed. You should see a field called "Album" that lists a string of numbers very much like what you just saw. Change that to the number of the new blank weblog, entering just the portion you see shown (it's like x9F295G9). Save on the left side above the pane, save on the top right corner.

Shut down SimPE. Go into your game. Load the family. Fresh new album right there on the lot you are playing, and you don't have to go in and out of the lot/game to write your story. All the pictures you take in the lot will be right there organized in reverse order as per usual. The original album is still in your files, just floating in the ether. Your old photos are still available for use by clicking on the + icon. You can link the old album back the same way you just changed everything above if you ever need to.
What I'm wondering, and am planning on trying on my test account, is if you can't just wipe the album reference in SimPE and the game will create a new one.

Anyways, with Building Merivale Ridge, Chapter 3, I'm doing sub-albums because I'm running a prosperity/legacy thing. I have all the spare houses set to reference the same album so that I can take pics and write on the lot. Otherwise I get behind, get annoyed with writing, don't do it, then lose interest in the family because I don't feel like I have a goal. And with Dark Side of the Moon...it's an apocalypse. There aren't any other homes and I don't want any other homes because the zombie/sim ratio needs to be kept high.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 December 07, 17:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quoting myself, from BoolProp. This is how I organize things, and it works really, really well for my story telling style.
Quote from: Zazazu
Well, what I do may be a bit too technical and it takes a bit more prepwork, but I like it better than having a dummy sim. Let's see if I can post clearly.

First off, you need two programs. One is SimPE. If you have BV, you'll need the QA version as it's not updated yet. This is available at MATY until the official is out. As always with SimPE, be careful what you change and follow directions closely. You'll also need the Storybook Viewer, which really is an essential for storywriting anyways.

Now the nitty-gritty. Whenever you move a sim over to college or out on their own for a bit, your game considers this a new household and generates a weblog (story file) for that household. If you send an heir to college the first generation, you already have an unused story file floating about in the ether, lonely and unused. Why not give it a purpose? Open up the Storybook Viewer, then click on the open folder icon to open a file. You'll need to bring up your MyDocuments/EA Games/Sims2/Neighborhood00X/Storytelling folder (Neighborhood00X is a wildcard for whichever 'hood number the 'hood you are playing in is). Now you'll see a whole bunch of garbled number-string file names starting with "weblog". Open one. Is it blank? Lovely. Write down the name of this file on your handy-dandy notepad. If the first one wasn't blank, keep opening weblogs until you find a blank one.

Now close the Storybook Viewer. Open up SimPE. On the top menu bar, on the far right, you'll see an icon that shows a bunch of little figures and says "Neighborhood Browser" on mouse-over. Click it. Pick your 'hood, then "Load" (or Start, I'm away from my game computer). Wait 10 years. Once it's done loading, look on the right side below the menu bars. There's a whole bunch of sorts listed for each file type in your 'hood. Click on the "Family Information" file tab. You'll see a list of your families come up on the left. Click on the last name of the family you are wanting to change the album for. (Note: If I'm recalling incorrectly, it may be in the Lot Info file section instead.) Verify that you have the right family by looking over the individual sim names listed. You should see a field called "Album" that lists a string of numbers very much like what you just saw. Change that to the number of the new blank weblog, entering just the portion you see shown (it's like x9F295G9). Save on the left side above the pane, save on the top right corner.

Shut down SimPE. Go into your game. Load the family. Fresh new album right there on the lot you are playing, and you don't have to go in and out of the lot/game to write your story. All the pictures you take in the lot will be right there organized in reverse order as per usual. The original album is still in your files, just floating in the ether. Your old photos are still available for use by clicking on the + icon. You can link the old album back the same way you just changed everything above if you ever need to.
What I'm wondering, and am planning on trying on my test account, is if you can't just wipe the album reference in SimPE and the game will create a new one.

Storybook Viewer. That's the one I meant, but the Transamerican link does not work anymore, so the program is only available at MTS.

What you do with SimPE sounds unnecessary complicated to me (and I am also using the story files from college). What is the advantage? You can not edit the original/first album in-game anymore, so why not simply overwrite it (after saving a copy of it in a different folder)? Overwriting the .xml file does not result in loss of the pictures, so I don't understand what you are gaining with this method.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 December 07, 22:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Storybook Viewer. That's the one I meant, but the Transamerican link does not work anymore, so the program is only available at MTS.
The Transamerican link does work. It's where I got mine at home. It's where the link at MTS2 sends you. Try the link.

What you do with SimPE sounds unnecessary complicated to me (and I am also using the story files from college). What is the advantage? You can not edit the original/first album in-game anymore, so why not simply overwrite it (after saving a copy of it in a different folder)? Overwriting the .xml file does not result in loss of the pictures, so I don't understand what you are gaining with this method.
Where are you posting these? Are you uploading to something like livejournal? In that case, sure, you can overwrite the .xml file and then change the name before uploading to livejournal. I'm posting to the official site. If you overwrite the original .xml, when you upload to the official site it deletes the first copy. By linking another album in (preferably before you start with the new chapter) you can have your photos available in order on the lot so that you can write while on the lot. No switching around. No searching through a lot of unrelated crap in the + tab. I know the photos aren't lost completely, ever, unless you actually go in and delete them from the /Storytelling folder. (Which I do, but I'm anal about keeping my photo folders clean).

I also don't like that I can't delete photos in the + tab. So ridiculously annoying. If they are in the main tab, I can delete them at will.

Anyways, it's not that complicated...my explanation is probably at fault. Setting this up takes me all of a minute and a half...including waiting for SimPE to load the 'hood.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 December 09, 10:02:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where are you posting these? Are you uploading to something like livejournal? In that case, sure, you can overwrite the .xml file and then change the name before uploading to livejournal. I'm posting to the official site. If you overwrite the original .xml, when you upload to the official site it deletes the first copy. By linking another album in (preferably before you start with the new chapter) you can have your photos available in order on the lot so that you can write while on the lot. No switching around. No searching through a lot of unrelated crap in the + tab. I know the photos aren't lost completely, ever, unless you actually go in and delete them from the /Storytelling folder. (Which I do, but I'm anal about keeping my photo folders clean).

I also don't like that I can't delete photos in the + tab. So ridiculously annoying. If they are in the main tab, I can delete them at will.

Anyways, it's not that complicated...my explanation is probably at fault. Setting this up takes me all of a minute and a half...including waiting for SimPE to load the 'hood.

Aha! I am not posting on any site and I am usually ignoring the official one. So to me it sounded like you went through this whole procedure just to create an empty album and that did not make sense.

Now, I am confused about what you said about deleting pictures though. I would have to check, but I think I can delete pictures in both folders. What I find ridiculously annoying is the fact that I can not delete a chosen picture, but only the first one in the folder, whatever I have marked when I go on delete. Why they failed with such a simple function is beyond me, but it resulted in having a huge amount of pictures (about 11,000 total), which I find hard to reduce (removing them manually from the neighbourhood folder has become almost impossible). If you have found a way to delete what you marked, instead of something else, I would be very interested to know about that.

I know that some sites are not always available, but the transamerican link I must have tried for the last half year and I can't get on it. When was the last time you have been to that site? Does the link work for you now?
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 December 09, 13:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Transamerican link does work. It's where I got mine at home. It's where the link at MTS2 sends you. Try the link.

It used to work, because that's where I got mine either, but since earlier this year the site is down. I'm stuck in the alpha version, got the nag screen everytime I run the app, but the site is not up anymore Undecided
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 December 09, 19:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I truly don't know what to tell you. When I click the link in my quote above, it goes to the page, and the download links work.  Undecided

For in-game photo deletion, I can correctly delete anything on the first "page" of available shots. It's on the second page where it goes wonky. Instead of deleting the photo you've clicked on, it will delete the first photo on the first page. Very annoying, but anymore I don't let myself get more than 10 unplaced photos. If I get behind on my writing, I get pissy and stop wanting to catch up. Then I feel bad and either don't want to play the family or keep playing for a bit until I get bored.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 December 09, 22:02:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm using storybook viewer and love it. It's great not to have to load the game up to write or edit a story.  I also edit the xml file in Wordpad if I'm doing something simple like tweaking the text or re-ordering pics.  I like wordpad for that because it's quick (no pics to load) and I'm confident about moving things to the right place. 

I've thought about changing album numbers in SimPE but never done it.  I wanted to create album numbers that showed at a glance what the Household was, but gave up when I realised that you're stuck with 0-F so "Smith" is a non-starter as a name.  One of the things that tempts me to upload stories to TSR instead of the Exchange is that their wizard works outside the game and I bet you don't need to mess with dummy families to have a story in chapters.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 December 10, 20:15:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh, for stories, I just crop&resize screenshots, number them in the order I want them and then write/type the story up in Notepad.  ...my game dosen't save half the pictures I take with the c key so I don't have much choice. I don't mind too much since I get better pictures from the screenshots.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 December 11, 02:39:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only take printscreen screenshots also, cropped in MSPAINT. This gives me the option to strategically include or exclude the UI as needed to show off how Awesome I am, plus remove any incriminating information from the photos.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 December 11, 02:48:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like SnagIt for screenshots -- it gives me more flexibility than a simple printscreen. I do use the crappy in-game camera for stories I'm going to upload to the Exchange, though. I used storybook viewer for a while, but eventually found it too clunky. Editing the .xml directly is a good idea, I wish I'd thought of that before.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 December 11, 02:51:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How is that more flexible than printscreen? Printscreen captures the entire screen and lets you put it in any paint program of your choice.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 December 11, 02:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh, for stories, I just crop&resize screenshots, number them in the order I want them and then write/type the story up in Notepad.  ...my game dosen't save half the pictures I take with the c key so I don't have much choice. I don't mind too much since I get better pictures from the screenshots.

That's why I like Gadwin PrintScreen, as it numbers them for me.  I just clean out the folder once I'm done each time.  Besides, the game camera makes me think I'm closer than I am, and that vexes me.

How is that more flexible than printscreen? Printscreen captures the entire screen and lets you put it in any paint program of your choice.

Externals (Gadwin, anyway) let you specify a folder for the pictures to go to automatically, and file format.
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 December 11, 03:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only take printscreen screenshots also, cropped in MSPAINT. This gives me the option to strategically include or exclude the UI as needed to show off how Awesome I am, plus remove any incriminating information from the photos.

What sort of incriminating information? You have CC from Sexysims don't cha.

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 December 11, 03:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then you have to edit it again to get the right size. With SnagIt you can get the right size right away.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 December 11, 06:01:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like SnagIt for screenshots -- it gives me more flexibility than a simple printscreen. I do use the crappy in-game camera for stories I'm going to upload to the Exchange, though. I used storybook viewer for a while, but eventually found it too clunky. Editing the .xml directly is a good idea, I wish I'd thought of that before.
I proof in Wordpad, but find actually writing in it troublesome since I can't see the photos. I'm a bad bunny, though, and am behind on everything.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 December 11, 06:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I proof in Wordpad, but find actually writing in it troublesome since I can't see the photos. I'm a bad bunny, though, and am behind on everything.

Oh, sheesh, I am so far behind it's ridiculous. I'm procrastinating because I hate Uni when I can't cheat to shorten it, and I have 11 Sims to get through in this generation. Give me a nice romance Sim over an insane family Sim any day.

I wonder if there's an .xml editor that shows pictures. That's probably not even possible, is it?

floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2007 December 11, 06:20:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I reckon he has a couple of biological clocks lying around that he doesn't want to admit to. Cheesy

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: