More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 05:55:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  More Awful Than You! December: 'tis the season!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: More Awful Than You! December: 'tis the season!  (Read 115733 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: More Awful Than You! December: 'tis the season!
« Reply #75 on: 2007 December 05, 10:19:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We're losing 25Gb + every day to people hot-linking without permission, that sort of bandwidth makes a real difference to some of the smaller sites I host, what exactly gives you the right to make that even just a little bit worse?

I don't disagree with your point about people stealing your bandwidth, that's fair enough, it's yours, you pay for it, but 25GB or more a day for IMAGES? I think not. Surely that's your entire site traffic, if anything, and even that seems astronomical.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 December 05, 14:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I rather like some of the supposedly "tacky" yet well-made stuff.  We've never been over-the-top decorators (we can barely afford the electric bills as it is) but when I was younger my mother went all out: 4 Christmas trees (1 live one), colored lights lining the roof and sidewalk, a plastic nativity, giant blow-up santa, and little red bows tied to anything that stayed still long enough to have one tied on.  And for a little kid that was fun, so I don't mind big christmas bauble earrings or giant pieces of plastic candy so much now, and several of my sims have caught the decorating bug too. Smiley

Some of this stuff though, especially the clothes... and that "wreath".  What I want to know is, what are those weird white zigzags above it?  Are those lights of some kind?
Jadis
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007 December 05, 16:22:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What, they walked round with hats on with candles in them?!?

Kind of. Not a hat, though, a wreath with candles that you can put on your head. The old-fashioned version:

Painting by Carl Larsson (Swedish painter) from 1908.

The modern version (with electric lights instead):

(photo taken from Norwegian online-edition of a newspaper. The picture is from 2005).

Celebrated on the 13th of December. In honour of St. Lucia. Nowadays, at least here in Norway, it's only small kids who do this parade-thing and sing the Lucia-song, and that's mostly because some adult makes them. (Thinking it will be oh so cute and sweet, and not about how every girl will want to be Lucia and how all the boys will hate every bit of it).

The Swedes are the ones that are really into it, though.

Tests say I'm INFP. I feel that ISFP describes what I act like more accurately than INFP, though. But both descriptions are pretty covering, so take your pick, or combine them.
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 December 05, 17:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

... What I want to know is, what are those weird white zigzags above it?  Are those lights of some kind?

I think they're meant to be icicle lights:

ISTP
Parsimonious Kate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 December 05, 17:44:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We're losing 25Gb + every day to people hot-linking without permission, that sort of bandwidth makes a real difference to some of the smaller sites I host, what exactly gives you the right to make that even just a little bit worse?

I don't disagree with your point about people stealing your bandwidth, that's fair enough, it's yours, you pay for it, but 25GB or more a day for IMAGES? I think not. Surely that's your entire site traffic, if anything, and even that seems astronomical.

A) I didn't say *just* images B) I'm going to assume you are joking about the 'astronomical' part or did you misread that and assume I meant terrabytes rather than gigabytes? Its about 5-15% of our daily usage between Parsimonious and the other Sims sites I provide hosting for, but regardless I still resent paying for it, it could be 0.0001% - still doesn't make it any more right, legal or reasonable.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 December 05, 17:48:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

25 GB a day for IMAGES is still insane. PMBD only runs maybe 80-100 GB/day, and there's a MASSIVE amount of crap there. Besides, why complain about hotlinked images? You call it a problem, but I call it an opportunity. An opportunity to show the young and impressionable children of the world a GIANT PICTURE of a man's GAPING DISTENDED ANUS. An opportunity like that should not be passed up!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 December 05, 18:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Kate-  Somewhere, on an obscure forum many, many light years ago, someone posted a direct link to your site.  This link was in reference to some very craptastic clothing.  I still checked your site out and found some of the most unique and useful flooring.  Almost all of my simmies' homes have parsimonious flooring in at least one room.  Many outside paths and driveways come from your site.  I, in turn, have commented on the wonders of parsimonious flooring and recommended them highly on other forums (though without direct links).  IMHO, any advertising is good advertising.  I always check out links for utter shite because you never know when you will find a gem while cruising around.  Bandwidth aside, traffic is good, yes?
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: 2007 December 05, 18:24:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's true snowbawl. I tend to always look around the sites that are posted in this thread Cheesy

asthehind
Retarded Reprobate

I think, therefore I am overqualified.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 December 05, 19:46:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

... What I want to know is, what are those weird white zigzags above it?  Are those lights of some kind?

I think they're meant to be icicle lights:

Yup, they're supposed to be icicle lights.

By popular demand, Tongue Deer:
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2007 December 05, 19:57:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of real decoration travesties...  I managed to procure this gem on January sale a few years ago:

The bath-tub is made of plastic, and the figures and bath foam is made of really soft rubber (of the typical variety banned in children's toys). When you turn it on, the couple rocks back and forth, and slightly up and down, while playing "Santa Clause is coming to Town" really loudly, scattered with the occasional "Ho ho ho!".
Because the rubber is really soft, they wobble disturbingly.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
asthehind
Retarded Reprobate

I think, therefore I am overqualified.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007 December 05, 20:06:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of real decoration travesties...  I managed to procure this gem on January sale a few years ago:

The bath-tub is made of plastic, and the figures and bath foam is made of really soft rubber (of the typical variety banned in children's toys). When you turn it on, the couple rocks back and forth, and slightly up and down, while playing "Santa Clause is coming to Town" really loudly, scattered with the occasional "Ho ho ho!".
Because the rubber is really soft, they wobble disturbingly.

Asthehind is distrubed... Shocked

By popular demand, Tongue Deer:
MadameUgly
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2007 December 05, 20:25:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

". . .they wobble disturbingly."

Like a bowl full of jelly?

Want decent sim stories?  Go forth and read: http://madame-ugly.livejournal.com/
Lyra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007 December 05, 20:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is seriously... I need another word other than disturbing.

The worrisome thing is, I know several people who'd use that as an xmas decoration.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 2007 December 05, 20:47:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is seriously... I need another word other than disturbing.

The worrisome thing is, I know several people who'd use that as an xmas decoration.

My nana for one Cheesy She has all kind of crap like that.

MidnightVoyager
Exasperating Eyesore

INFP, AQ: 36. Fear.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007 December 05, 22:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

". . .they wobble disturbingly."

Like a bowl full of jelly?

Like a bowl full of jelly diddling a bowl full of jelly.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2007 December 06, 00:03:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love that video. The guy who did that is an electrical engineer, I think, and he had the light show play at set times so as not to disturb the neighbors too much. The music was broadcast over the radio during those times. Iirc, the biggest problem was traffic congestion from all the people wanting to see the show.

If you are in the states and have HGTV, they have a show that airs at random times called "What's Up With That House?" which, naturally, takes you inside some unusual homes, like those built into cliffs or caves, or whatever. There is a holiday special called "What's Up With That Christmas House?" and I think California and Florida won the "HOLY SHIT!" awards for most elaborate. In fact, one of the segments makes a point of showing the "FOR SALE" sign in the yard of the house directly across the street. LOL

And yes, one of the houses is the one mentioned, and their pirate radio station is KOLD, accessible on your car radio as you stop and rubberneck.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007 December 06, 01:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

25 GB a day for IMAGES is still insane. PMBD only runs maybe 80-100 GB/day, and there's a MASSIVE amount of crap there. Besides, why complain about hotlinked images? You call it a problem, but I call it an opportunity. An opportunity to show the young and impressionable children of the world a GIANT PICTURE of a man's GAPING DISTENDED ANUS. An opportunity like that should not be passed up!

Cry

I am...verklempt.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

brainless piece of sack of fruitcakes

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007 December 06, 01:06:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you are in the states and have HGTV, they have a show that airs at random times called "What's Up With That House?"

Oh, Jesus, the host.

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007 December 06, 01:19:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's my contribution.  Not ugly, just rather skanky.  They should change Santa's helpers costume to this.  I'm sure that suddenly lots of fathers would show up with their kids and not a word of complaint about having to wait in a line filled with snotty-nosed, whining and screaming kids.

edit: linkie  http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/sims2/sets/clothing/621895/
« Last Edit: 2007 December 06, 01:34:53 by angelyne » Logged
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2007 December 06, 01:29:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angelyne, would you mind providing a link to where you found those two outfits? I'd like to see precisely how much they were photoshopped in that picture to make them look so clear.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2007 December 06, 02:05:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I looked at that lingerie and thought "Victoria's Secret," and sure enough that's what the red one is.  So VS really deserves most of the bad taste credit, I think.

PB

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2007 December 06, 03:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, me too, and I don't even shop there! I guess the ads are working. I thought, hmm, just in time for the giant infomercial that is their holiday "special."

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
FireFlyNine
Blathering Buffoon

Pirate Bird doesn't pay for her downloads.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007 December 06, 05:35:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Recipie for a Victoria's secret "special":
(Regular Bra + Sparkley Crap)+(Regular Undewear + Furry Crap)+ Shitty Heels/Boots = Christmas Special!!! Now give me money damnit.

"The moral of it speaks to me : rape me, sodomize me, beat me, but don't ever - ever - try to make me cook and clean." - Khaki
"The people revolted and said let there be buttsecks!" - Assmitten
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2007 December 06, 07:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you are in the states and have HGTV, they have a show that airs at random times called "What's Up With That House?"

Oh, Jesus, the host.

Oh yes. You can tell he approaches things in a mature and serious manner at all times, too.

Apparently the pop-up commentary and graphics are similar to some dating show I never saw and "Pop Up Video." Well, okay, then.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2007 December 06, 08:57:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My previous comment about Guy Fawkes led me to this strange and disturbing creator, gobbie @ mts2. I found her "Fire cracker red for men" (Notice she doesn't actually tell you what it is) hair.

It comes with the wonderfully descriptive.. desription (Oops ran out of words there...)

Sparking and sleek be the cool stand out on the block with this fire cracker but be careful of Guy Fawkes night or you might get your head lit by someone who mistakes you for a firework

Now added the nice pink and green

Picture: The "nice" pink and green. Guess who just discovered how to use the colour balance tool in photoshop?

Linkage:http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=92967&c=1
Includes the purple (incredibly flat) version and red (the least eye-bleach inducing)

Anyway, this lead me to explore her other creations. Her signature consists of a link to her TSR stuff (how did we guess??) and the worrying revelation that 12 year olds are now allowed to drive:

Just got my first ever carrrrr, watch out old ladies, cats and pigeons lol

Quite.

Anyway, the other thing I had to enter was her "Christmas Special Onsomble" (sic.)

A disturbing dress for elders under everyday.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=111638

A badly-meshed babydoll which rests on an invisible layer of fat.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=111661

And some children's pyjamas which handily don't show a back shot, as I'm sure these would have visible bumcrack. She helpfully suggests you "Get extra pressies out of santa this year with this incredible piece." 0.o

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=111659

She also takes the time to note that all her makeup for download is "non fading!!!!11!!1one" which I find utterly bizzare.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: