More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 07:03:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  can't get married bug? Plus strange memory tokens
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: can't get married bug? Plus strange memory tokens  (Read 8106 times)
ari_
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
can't get married bug? Plus strange memory tokens
« on: 2005 July 23, 17:44:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've recently had a problem in my neighborhood: sims suddenly couldn't get married. Engagement worked, but if I tried to marry them either with the arc or directly, they jumped out of the interaction (although sometimes, one of them would actually get the memory of getting married).

Now, this is the neighborhood I've been playing since October. Back then, I was stupid enough to merge another neighborhood into it, but when the information about neighborhood corruption came to light, I spent two afternoons with SimPE, cleaning it up. It's been mostly working fine (I wasn't completely thorough, but I usually caught any problems quickly).

This time, I had only been playing with 3 interrelated legacy families for the last 2 months, so I just deleted all their memories (and the Townies/NPCs/Dormies memories, just in case), which cleaned up that problem, but I found something in SimPE that looks fishy to me:

There are sims (even ones that I haven't played in *ages*, and ones that are dead) that have 'Toddler Skills' or 'Misc Skills' tokens that are owned by someone else (usually the first character in the neighborhood, occasionally a different one, but it's always one of the very first characters). When I first saw them, I just deleted them, but yesterday I went through the memories again because I was explaining to someone how SimPE works, and noticed that characters who either had normal tokens before, or had none, now have such tokens that belong to someone else.

I've also had 2 instances where someone had a memory token that was a computer (er. I didn't write it down, but it was something like "[invisible] Token - Moneywell Computer").

Now, I can keep cleaning these out, but I'm of course worried that there might be some kind of larger problem lurking the in the background. Any ideas?

(I'd like to keep my neighborhood, and I'm willing to spend time working on it in SimPE. I can don't mind wiping a sim's memories - I hardly ever look at them anyway).
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: can't get married bug? Plus strange memory tokens
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 23, 17:50:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are sims (even ones that I haven't played in *ages*, and ones that are dead) that have 'Toddler Skills' or 'Misc Skills' tokens that are owned by someone else (usually the first character in the neighborhood, occasionally a different one, but it's always one of the very first characters). When I first saw them, I just deleted them, but yesterday I went through the memories again because I was explaining to someone how SimPE works, and noticed that characters who either had normal tokens before, or had none, now have such tokens that belong to someone else.
Don't delete these. Tokens normally behave like this: Memory tokens correctly record their owners, subjects, etc., and are standardized, but inventory tokens for misc things like toddler skills, misc skills, do not. They are not memories, and so when SimPE tries to read the number fields as if they were, it ends up misinterpreting the values. Just ignore this. This is normal. Do not delete these tokens or you will mess up your sims.

As for not being able to get married, this could be damage from your random deletions, or some other hack. Get an error log of the jump by reproducing it with debug mode enabled and attach it here.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ari_
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 23, 18:03:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here are the 2 error logs I made when I had the error - one is from the wedding arc, and one is from one of the sims trying to get married. IIRC, they weren't done in the same game (I took out a few recent hacks and then retried a number of times, and I'm pretty sure I took the wedding arc one the first time I ran into the error, and the sims one later).

I can't make new ones, since the problem is gone now.

And thanks for reassuring me about the tokens (tho I didn't know it was a problem to delete them - but I didn't find a lot of info on what they do when I searched MTS2).
« Last Edit: 2005 July 23, 19:59:07 by J. M. Pescado » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 23, 19:59:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These are both FORCED errors. Of COURSE your game is going to error if you insist on forcing errors. Are you just trying to annoy me?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 25, 02:59:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I'd be inclined to reinstall after moving out the entire Sims2 folder and putting it on your desktop, if you have university, just uninstall/reinstall that.  I usually find that's the quickest way of sorting out a problem like that.

Zephyr Zodiac
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 25, 17:48:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, no...I deleted the cellphone token from a few sims in SimPe, yesterday. It didn't even occur to me that deleting that token would damage my neighborhood.  Luckily, I made a copy of my neighborhood folder before doing so. Do I need to reinstall that, now? Does this warrant panic?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 25, 18:20:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd reinstall the backup, yes. In the future, remember: Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 25, 22:46:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, no...I deleted the cellphone token from a few sims in SimPe, yesterday. It didn't even occur to me that deleting that token would damage my neighborhood.  Luckily, I made a copy of my neighborhood folder before doing so. Do I need to reinstall that, now? Does this warrant panic?

Sorry, I wouldn't have suggested reinstalling Uni if I'd known you'd been changing stuff in SimPE and had a back up copy.

Zephyr Zodiac
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 26, 13:08:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I wouldn't have suggested reinstalling Uni if I'd known you'd been changing stuff in SimPE and had a back up copy.

Ari was the one you responded to. I simply barged in on his/her thread.  Smiley

Thanks, J.M.; reinstalling the backup.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 26, 13:16:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, replied late at night and my eyes were even more tired than the rest of me!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: