More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 01, 14:13:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Instaling Uni after NL... and OFB
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Instaling Uni after NL... and OFB  (Read 5866 times)
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
Instaling Uni after NL... and OFB
« on: 2006 March 29, 07:39:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so I already had NL and the base game installed on my computer, when I bought OFB, but was delayed in installing it by the fact that my computer was technically in another state... now that I have it back, I have also managed to acquire a copy of University at (cough) a price I simply could not refuse.

So I installed uni and OFB at the same time, on the theory that this would somehow work (university first, then OFB). OFB installed correctly, and uni seems to have installed properly as well, but when I run the game, no university! None of the new uni objects were available, either. I am pretty certain it is not the university install itself, but rather something wonky with the order in which I did things...

Anyway, now what? Is the problem the order in which I installed them? Doing both at once? Or should I back up all my files, then uninstall and re-install all the expansion packs?

dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Instaling Uni after NL... and OFB
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 29, 08:12:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you mean you don't get the option to add a university to your town?
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 29, 08:14:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could be mistaken... but I was under the impression that you must install EPs in the order that they came out.

This means that, since you had NL before Uni... you should have:

1) Uninstalled NL

2) Installed Uni

3) Re-installedNL

4) Installed OFB

Again... I could be mistaken or somehow made that crap up, but I thought I might have read tht somewhere or something. *shrugs*

As for what you can do now...? I don't know. Will the uninstall programs properly uninstall them? I'm not sure. You could try uninstalling all EPs and then re-installing them in the correct order. If not...  Huh

Ste

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 29, 08:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People said you had to install EP's in the order they came out for TS1 too, which was a load of bollocks.  I bought all the EP's for TS1 in a span of 3 months, and not in order either.  I never had any problems with it.

Having said that, I'm not sure if it's the same for TS2, or you just got a bad install.  Undecided
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 29, 12:25:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I understand it, each EP is a stand alone add on and you can add them in any order.  So, I think BlueSoup is right, sounds like a wonky install if you don't get the option to add a University to your neighbourhoods.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 29, 15:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I asked EA this question in January.  Here's a shortened version of the answer.  I think patching could well be a problem if you install in the wrong order.  The OFB patch includes Uni fixes that are not in the Uni patch.  If you install OFB first, then Uni and then the Uni patch, I'd be surprised if you got all the functionality of the OFB patch for Uni.  EA might have been clever enough that you do, but I'd ask EA directly.
Hello,

Thanks for contacting EA Technical Support and for your interest with The Sims!

I'm sorry for the difficulty that you are having with the game.

In Sims 2, You dont need to install the Expansions in order. Remember to patch the games installed before you add the Expansions, Then patch the expansions you installed.

To patch The Sims 2 and Expansions.  Verify whether you require the CD-edition patch or the DVD-edition patch as you will only be able to install the proper one for your game.

The  Update Page ( http://thesims2.ea.com/update/ ) contains links to both patch versions as well as all of the information on what the patch changes in the game.  Make sure you download and run the patch as instructed below;

[Cut - told me how to install the patch and how and why to back up]

Jayson
EA Games Technical Support

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 29, 16:24:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

maybe because I did not patch university first? I assumed that was up to date with the NL patch... hmm

I'm surprised, by the way- that's the first relevent response I have EVER seen from them. In the past, I've pretty much learned that going to EA is a waste of my time, and I should ask on the fansites :p

I might try it out later this evening, assuming my computer doesn't die FOR NO REASON

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 30, 06:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whenever I installed TS1 xpacks out of order, I always had to re-install the very last one over the top of the whole mess in order for them to work.

I had NL before Uni, so when I got Uni I just uninstalled NL, which left the base game intact, then installed Uni and then re-installed NL.  I hadn't read the actual Maxis instructions on how to do it so figured that was my safest bet.  It worked out great.

MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 30, 07:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People said you had to install EP's in the order they came out for TS1 too, which was a load of bollocks.  I bought all the EP's for TS1 in a span of 3 months, and not in order either.  I never had any problems with it.

Having said that, I'm not sure if it's the same for TS2, or you just got a bad install.  Undecided

Actually, I always installed Unleashed before vacation since when I did that, the vacation lot were including litter and many other things for the pets otherwise you would not have... the things you discover by reinstalling many times. Tongue

As for your game problem, I would do as Syberpunk said, but now you would also need to uninstall Uni.  Better off uninstalling everything and reinstall all of them except maybe for the original Sims 2.
« Last Edit: 2006 March 30, 08:58:14 by MissDoh » Logged
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 30, 07:31:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That reminds me.  After uninstalling NL, then installing Uni, then re-installing NL I had Uni objects like bubble blowers and pool tables on several of my downtown lots.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 30, 09:20:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd be a bit worried about what the install was trying to do to my neighbourhood files.  I mean your files have already been updated for NL and the Uni install might be expecting to find Base Game files especially if you have uninstalled NL.  Adding lots and characters ought to work just fine, it's the modifications to character and lots files I'd worry about.  I remember reading that something changed in the genetics order in Uni.  You can imagine the mess if you install Uni after NL and they both change the order!  Still they have plenty of XP at avoiding that kind of mess.  (check the order and fix if old is obvious) we just trust they wrote the Uni install with future EPs in mind.  It should be fine and thats why you back up. 

That reminds me.  After uninstalling NL, then installing Uni, then re-installing NL I had Uni objects like bubble blowers and pool tables on several of my downtown lots.
Was this the default lots when you set up a new downtown?  I'd be surprised if the lots in your existing neighbourhood had stuff added to them - I mean suppose you'd changed it around..

I have base game and OFB, but will probably add Uni and NL sometime, so this is important to me.  My OFB Gym and Nightclub are totally feeble by the way.  I have no Uni or NL objects in them. The gym is the maxis exercise bike - no recolours of course!

Anyone else miss the lot numbering in Sims1 where all the lots for that EP had sequential numbers, so you knew exactly which lot was which.  Why couldn't they plan ahead and do that for Sims2?  I guess I can see why - the number of lots was fixed in Sims1, but isn't here, so infilling is efficient and safe.  But still.......
« Last Edit: 2006 March 30, 09:36:42 by cwykes » Logged

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: