More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 17, 18:41:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Dodgy Downloads
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dodgy Downloads  (Read 3253 times)
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Dodgy Downloads
« on: 2006 January 11, 03:54:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm clutching at straws here, but just in case it's worth a try...Does anyone know how to pinpoint Roll Eyes a dodgy download file, I think I have one or maybe more, as one particular neighborhood screen makes objects flash and menus and the like disappear?

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Dodgy Downloads
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 11, 04:19:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Start with your mods and recolors. For the flashing blue object its usually a recolor gone missing, you can detect that fairly quickly by eyedropping the flashing object and finding out exactly which bad recolor it is - then delete it. Next, list your mods here (with versions if possible) and someone here can likely tell you if you have something unawesome lurking in there. Also list what games you own (ie ts2 uni nl etc)

Or do it the tried and true yet time consuming method (if you have a lot), take out all your downloads and reintroduce them in batches firing up the game inbetween batches. Then once you have located the offenders delete them and go back and better organize your stuff.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 11, 05:18:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Nectere, I'll look into it.

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 11, 10:51:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nectere, how (on a related issue) can I deal with three bedding rcolours, one counter and I thnk a set of plants  which I deleted from my game files because both SimPE and the cleanInstaller were iffy about them, but every time I go into that menu there are nice bits of useless blue bedding etc., that just won't delete in game, and apparently doesn't exist out of game?  I might add that after installing NL I reintroduced all my downloads slowly and carefully, that's when I discovered what the offending items were and deleted them from my files!  But the blue ghosts won't go away!

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 11, 12:47:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried deleting the thumbnails file? That usually will clear it up.

*to be more specific the thumbnails package file in your game folder (my documents area), there are several, cas, build etc. Try deleting that one, it will rebuild itself when you start up the game.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 11, 14:17:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, no, I didn't try that - I wasn't sure if it acted the same as groups.cache!  But I'll definitely try that, it does seem like it's the only place these wretched things can be hiding!  Do you mean I should delete everything in the folder, or just the objects one?  And is it worth doing with all of them - I've removed quite a lot of downloads recently, and maybe they're still lurking?

Thanks for the help!

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 11, 14:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well the thumbnails file doesnt always rebuild itself properly when you delete stuff so when that happens you just delete the thumbnail files so they will rebuild. When I do a mass cleaning spree I delete all of them. Now be forewarned that when you fire up the game it will take a while to reload all the thumbnails just like when you add new content, because it has to rebuild the thumbnail table or whatever it is.

Before embarking on this mission do a quick search here for the exact location, I have a ton of sheet on my mind this morning and I can't recall exactly where the thumbnail packages are located in the game folder at the moment.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 11, 14:33:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I found them all in Thumbnails, so I think you got it right first time!  I realised it would take a while, same as when you deleteallcharacters and it slows to a crawl to generate a new NPC.  So I'll maybe not do them all at once, but just select one each time.  the Objects package is now on my desktop and it's 9MB, so maybe it's be a bit smaller when I've regenerated it, and I can compare!

Well, the bedding sets are still there in blue!  Maybe I'll have to reboot for it to work.
« Last Edit: 2006 January 11, 18:49:36 by ZephyrZodiac » Logged

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: