More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 11, 17:49:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  File Management - renaming files, meshes and FBVFOS (new question)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: File Management - renaming files, meshes and FBVFOS (new question)  (Read 16040 times)
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
File Management - renaming files, meshes and FBVFOS (new question)
« on: 2005 December 07, 18:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a look around and whilst some of my questions got answered, I have more, and for some reason am not willing to take Database's word for it Wink Also added a couple of curiosities...

1. Can you rename a package file? Will the game care? Does it matter if it's a texture for a mesh/mesh for a texture? Will this cause a FBVFOS?

2. There's no way to tell which file is what mesh-file right? Because stupid people don't label them correctly? Packaging a sim does not include the mesh-file, right?

3. With Nightlife, you can put anything in subfolders, ANYTHING?!

4. All Kewians need stomping Wink

5. How do you organise your downloads?

6. Can you rename saved sims stupid long number names or are they stuck like that forevermore?

7. Deleting stuff just results in blue static?

8. Terrains = death.

Thanks Wink
« Last Edit: 2005 December 30, 15:52:52 by Trubble » Logged

A proud thread pirate.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
Re: File Management - renaming files, meshes and FBVFOS
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 07, 19:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1. I've been renaming package files left and right lately with no apparent bad effects! I have Uni and Nightlife.

2. I suppose you could open them up in SimPE and do a preview to see the shape of it, otherwise you're probably out of luck. Creators who have poor naming schemes suck!

3. As far as I can tell, yes, although I left CEP free in the downloads folder.

4. Do they?

5. Folders by creator, although sometimes these folders are in bigger folders labeled by item. This is usually for genetics - I have a hair folder that has sub folders labeled by creator, and if I was really on the ball they'd have subfolders labeled by hairstyle.

6. I think so! They seem to work like item packages.

7. Depends on what you delete. Sometimes it results in blue static - with hair it can result in a bald sim. With terrain paints it results in blue static you can delete, but forget ever being able to package that lot again.

8. Why yes, they do!

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 07, 19:37:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a look around and whilst some of my questions got answered, I have more, and for some reason am not willing to take Database's word for it Wink Also added a couple of curiosities...

I'll try to answer as best as possible, but fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it Tongue) I haven't experienced these kind of problems, so for some of your questions, I couldn't tell you for certain.

1. Can you rename a package file? Will the game care? Does it matter if it's a texture for a mesh/mesh for a texture? Will this cause a FBVFOS?
Unfortunately, this probably depends. I recall reading somewhere that older packages made, even with SimPE, you CANNOT simply rename. This is unfortunate because, I don't know if there is a sure fire way to tell what is older. If it only compatible with the base game, then it is probably that old. If it's been updated for Nightlife, hopefully that means it is new enough or was completely rewritten or repackaged in such a way that you can rename them.

I believe that newer packages made with the later versions of SimPE are easily renameable. I have renamed both hacks, clothes, meshes, etc. with no problems, well as far as I know. Maybe someone else would have a more definitive answer (either Pescado, or probably Motoki would know Tongue).

2. There's no way to tell which file is what mesh-file right? Because stupid people don't label them correctly? Packaging a sim does not include the mesh-file, right?
Er... I don't know this one either since I don't really use meshes... and by "stupid people" do you mean the people who created the meshes in the first place? Or people who packaged the sim? I thought that packaging a sim "in game" would also pull in the mesh. Then again, I'm not even sure how new meshes would work anyways. I imagine they either show up in genetics as selectable skins or show up in clothing connected to specific outfits that use that mesh. I do know that, if you have clothing that is based on a new mesh, AND you don't have that new mesh in your game, the clothing will just show up like the original Maxis outfit that it was cloned from (and therefore, it won't look as advertised from where ever you downloaded it from).

However, since I have never packaged sims using outfits based on a completely new mesh, I can't say for sure. Also, I don't really have new meshes in my game much, so I don't have a lot of experience with this. Sorry  Undecided Again, hopefully someone else can give you a better answer.

3. With Nightlife, you can put anything in subfolders, ANYTHING?!
As far as I know, pretty much almost anything. I've also read that you can have subfolders of subfolders. But beware the caveat that, if you put hacks in subfolders, certain hacks that need to override others should be in the same folder, and that they should be named in such a way that the one you want to take precedence gets loaded last. As I understand it, all packages get loaded in alphabetical order (from A to Z). This is why you have seen that for some mods, it is suggested to rename them to z_modname, so that they get loaded last, and override any other mods that they would clash with. This is sort of a work around so these mods can be compatible.

4. All Kewians need stomping Wink
Buh?

5. How do you organise your downloads?
Currently, since I mostly only have hacks, I organize my hacks in subfolders. I also have a few miscellaneous items, mostly clothes, and I have some changes to the default eyes. My Downloads folder is as follows:

gamehacks - hacks that fix or modify game behaviour
macrohacks - usually Pescado hacks that are related to macrostatics: i.e. macrostatics, skillinator, bathroomusesyou, sleepclock, etc.
objecthacks - hacked objects like the FFS lot debugger, Jeffys college adjuster and modified cow head
testhacks - any hacks that i am currently testing
legacychallengehacks - hacks that i only use for my legacy game
clothing - duh
genetics - duh
skins - usually contains just the anatomically correct nude skins

I had a meshes folder, with some minor stuff, but I need to resort, redownload, and what not. I haven't added any meshes back into my game since I've installed NL.

I leave the CEP "loose" in my Downloads folder.

6. Can you rename saved sims stupid long number names or are they stuck like that forevermore?
Again, see above. I don't know if the same thing applies to the older packages. I think they were named in such a way that the internal data also relied on the external name. But, with newer sims, it shouldn't be a problem. I've made tons of new sims via BS, and I just went into my SavedSims folder and renamed those hexified packages into actual name.package files, and they work fine. Worse case scenario, you could always go through your 'hood with SimPE, Export all the added sims to new name.package files, and then go through your SavedSims folder and delete the older hexified named ones, or you could go into the game and delete them from inside. I don't know if that also deletes them from the SavedSims folder, but I imagine it does. *shrugs*

7. Deleting stuff just results in blue static?
Randomly deleting stuff will most likely lead to this. Especially when it comes to custom objects or recolours that depend on custom content. "Blue static" may also occur do to having custom content that hasn't been properly updated for an EP.

8. Terrains = death.
Again, I have no experience with them. I tend to stay away from custom terrains. I don't even really bother downloading custom walls and floors. I used to download lots, but now that we know how that can lead to a BFBVFS, I stay away from them. I mostly suffer using the Maxis pre-made lots and build my own, horribly, hideously looking boxes. Tongue

Well, sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck!

Ste

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 07, 19:39:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to butt in - if you have a wall file called 12ab03j5h8di1..... you can rename it to wall_PurpleStriped.package with no problems?

Zephyr Zodiac
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 07, 19:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the input Renatus Smiley much appreciated.

... Maybe someone else would have a more definitive answer (either Pescado, or probably Motoki would know Tongue).

Hmm, okie doke. Will ask.

Er... I don't know this one either since I don't really use meshes... and by "stupid people" do you mean the people who created the meshes in the first place? Or people who packaged the sim? I thought that packaging a sim "in game" would also pull in the mesh...

By stupid people I meant whoever is responsible for the pointlessly inadequet filename... whoever that may be. They are only stupid for that reason as far as I'm aware - I probably love the meshes, I'd just love to know what they are.

I was trying to sort my downloads a lazyish way (packaging sims with the stuff I wanted, doing a mass delete and adding it back in), and meshes don't get packaged... it's a right pain... :-/

Will bear the hack information in mind - thanks Smiley I don't think I have any that come under that umbrella at the moment though.

I don't know if that also deletes them from the SavedSims folder, but I imagine it does. *shrugs*

Deleting from bodyshop does it seems. Thanks for that info also Smiley

You were help Wink This is stuff I needed to know.

A proud thread pirate.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 07, 19:56:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My opinions on the matters at hand:

1. Yes, because as far as I know recolors/textures call for the guid not a filename, so it doesn't matter what the file name is.

2. Correct, based on simply looking at the file name.

3. Correct, although I leave CEP loose in the main downloads folder

4. I don't know

5. I have the following folders and subfolders:
Game mods
Sim mods - hair, skins, eyes, makeup (and a bunch of folders for each type of makeup), clothing, simmeshes (mathman, crammy and the like)
Maxis recolors
New Meshes (then by creator and then by what it is, I also put the recolor regardless of who made it with these new meshes)
Walls
Floors
Terrains

6. I do, or else I would not know who it is.

7. Not always, but sometimes yes. Especially if you delete all the recolors and not the mesh and have the mesh on a lot somewhere, which is usually what happens to me which is why now I keep all the new meshes plus recolors together.

8. Depends, it depends on what you want to do with that lot after you use them. I do find them however rather inconvenient as you can not remove them once you place them, definitely an oversight by maxis I'd say. I use them on lots that I know arent going anywhere, and if I get sick of the joint I bulldoze it all together. I only have 5 custom terrains that I really like.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 07, 19:58:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To summarize: I rename many files--older and newer no difference found yet--but I've learned it's good to leave the original file name in the name for later identification looking for duplicates Smiley So I 'prefix' file names. For instance Marvine and BBBs body builder files are (actually 'were'...) prefixed likethis: BBBwhateverthe_originalnamewas.package and it works great. Now tho, since NL, I have many many subfolders. I like to organize by type of thing, then creator too. So those muscle guy files are now: blah blah.../..../downloads/Clothing/Men's/BBB/

I have renamed savedsims without any problem too.

Terrains? I hated those from the get-go so they always get deleted before installing into my game folder. So have no idea if they are death or not: I'd go with Pescado's opinion since he knows the game better than the Maxiods, sad but seemingly/apparently and somewhat appallingly too true.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 07, 21:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ignore no.4... kewians do not need stompination.. We rule. Cheesy

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 07, 22:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thankyou Nectere, MutantBunny Smiley I've given up on the downloads folder for tonight as it is driving me nuts - but those are all good things to know, really appreciate the help Smiley

* Trubble stomps kewian

A proud thread pirate.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 07, 22:35:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*agrees with Trubble about the stompination*
Database
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 08, 16:47:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

some reason am not willing to take Database's word for it Wink
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry She won't believe me!!!!

Actually, most people never do believe me, so this comes as no surprise
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 08, 16:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* shakes i off*  sorry doesnt work.

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 08, 18:10:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, Database, that wasn't a direct direct insult, it wasn't intended as an insult really. You said you didn't know for sure Tongue Stupid Database.

A proud thread pirate.
Database
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 08, 18:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was sarcasm.

*insert further sarcasm here*
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 08, 20:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

silly girls.  Don't you know that kewians are immortal, hence impervious to stompination?  I suspect kewians are close relatives of the phoenix.  Rising from the ashes and all that.

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 08, 22:17:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shame you missed my sarcasm Database.

Pffrt, kewian is not immortal, everyone has a weakness.

A proud thread pirate.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 08, 22:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pffrt, kewian is not immortal, everyone has a weakness.

Kewian's weakness is Email.  It's overcoming her.  Ask her how many times she's attempted and failed so far...

Wink
Marquis
Twain
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 09, 02:35:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* twain Double Stompinates Kewian.

ewww now I have Kewian goo on my boots.

Good breeding consists of concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person. - Mark Twain
www.thesporum.net
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 09, 03:27:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just went though a bunch of stuff with terrains.  I deleted all but 3 of them ( I had an insane amount of these vile things) and the lots still loaded but there were flashing blue areas.  I was able to get rid of this problem by using Ctrl+the terrain sprayer.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 09, 04:23:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if this comes under 1. but...

Files that are creatively named by the game as dkklaitejdjiewjlalidk394384alkdjraild.package are simply objects/hacks/other that have hitchhiked in on lots and can be safely deleted without Firey Balls of Doom crashing into my computer?  Please say yes as I want to do a cleanout of my downloads folder which seems to contain a large number of these files.  Only if I'm right though

<insert witty comment here>
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 09, 04:42:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Files that are creatively named by the game as dkklaitejdjiewjlalidk394384alkdjraild.package are simply objects/hacks/other that have hitchhiked in on lots and can be safely deleted without Firey Balls of Doom crashing into my computer?

For the most part they can be safely deleted (some may be sims) but they are not necessarily hitchhikers—they may be objects or recolors you have downloaded and want to keep, in which case you could end up with flashing blue objects or sims with invisible parts. Not all CC creators take the time to give their files a real name before making them available for download.

Scanning your folders with the Scan Folders function (!) in SimPE is the easiest way to see what these are, as the scan will show both the object name and its file name. You can also do it using the scan feature in Clean Installer but you really need to know what you're looking for, because the actual file name is only shown when you hold the cursor over the object name (in a pop-up box).

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 09, 06:32:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just hope there aren't any terrain paints!

If you find objects that are in your game already (ie you already downloaded them yourself) then it's safe to delete any that are duplicated.  That's the easy part.  Anything that comes with the house that you don't have, but want to keep, I'd suggest going to the original site and downloading it, then deleting the thing with the crazy file-name - which is a problem you get with the Sims2Pack Installer, and has nothing to do with what the creator may have called the file.

Zephyr Zodiac
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 10, 08:13:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The trouble with renaming, is that you don't get that "file already exists" message when you download something for the second time by mistake.  You have to clear up the duplicates afterwards which is always more trouble.  I do this a fair bit of TSR because I have so much already, I can't remember all of it.

If you find objects that are in your game already (ie you already downloaded them yourself) then it's safe to delete any that are duplicated.  That's the easy part.  Anything that comes with the house that you don't have, but want to keep, I'd suggest going to the original site and downloading it, then deleting the thing with the crazy file-name - which is a problem you get with the Sims2Pack Installer, and has nothing to do with what the creator may have called the file.
Thanks ZZ - didn't know that.

I was trying to sort my downloads a lazyish way (packaging sims with the stuff I wanted, doing a mass delete and adding it back in), and meshes don't get packaged... it's a right pain... :-/

I've been doing the same, hadn't spotted the mesh problem though - Oops and thanks for the warning

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 10, 08:27:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I've done is to make a new Downloads folder which I've moved a lot of historical stuff to, and I'll maybe do another themed one later, so I can switch depending on what neighbourhood I'm playing.  That way, each folder will stay a reasonable size for a bit longer!

Zephyr Zodiac
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 10, 15:58:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been doing the same, hadn't spotted the mesh problem though - Oops and thanks for the warning

You're welcome - I checked with one package before going all out and doing the lot. As it is I've found a lot of the meshed stuff (all hairstyles, some clothes) that I want to keep and redownloaded them, so now I can implement a more organised downloads folder, I just don't have time to do it yet Smiley

A proud thread pirate.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: