More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 09:42:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Repositioning Occupied Lots
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Repositioning Occupied Lots  (Read 5957 times)
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Repositioning Occupied Lots
« on: 2007 February 18, 10:10:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it OK to move occupied lots around in the same sub-neighborhood? Huh  I wouldn't be moving them to the lot bin, I know that's bad.  Just picking them up and setting them down elsewhere.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: Repositioning Occupied Lots
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 18, 10:17:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use the hand tool - perfectly safe.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 19, 10:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, I do it all the time. Doesn't do anything to the sims at all.

numaari
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 19, 10:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, I have noticed a tiny problem when moving any lot around.  If the ground level is different, even by a little, there will be an aqua line at the lot boundary.  This isn't a problem when all your lots are perfectly level, but most of my neighborhood terrain has gradual terrain changes.    And I hate that button that makes your lots level.  In most cases, it makes my lots look like Scrabble tiles.

My neighborhood view looks like hell because of my graphics card, so it doesn't bother me.  But I can imagine it to be a nuisance to others...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 19, 21:04:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, I have noticed a tiny problem when moving any lot around.  If the ground level is different, even by a little, there will be an aqua line at the lot boundary.  This isn't a problem when all your lots are perfectly level, but most of my neighborhood terrain has gradual terrain changes.
Lots with non-level edges cannot be moved without corrupting the neighborhood. These kinds of lots are bad. Plus, TS2 does not support building on non-level terrain, so such lots with warped terrain simply waste space.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 19, 23:34:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well I wish I'd known that before I started building this new hood of mine!  I've only got one aqua line thank goodness - where I was desperate to fit a pre-built lot into the hole I'd left for it.  It refused to place lots of times and I was so happy when it finally went in. 

I thought it was a temporary glitch  when the 3x2 lot you just took out won't go back into the 3x2 hole it came out of.  Is that permanent corruption then?   I rearranged my willow walk houses a lot in Veronaville before I got an arrangement I liked.  So that's another reason this hood is iffy.   I figured out eventually that even my willow walk lots look flat - they aren't all quite flat.

Another annoyance about moving lots around is water level.  A lot with a pond in one place has a lot with a puddle at the bottom of a deep hole when moved a few squares over.  Another one is roads! When you place a lot, the road sometimes does very strange things  e.g.  I have a gap in the road where I moved lots along it!  How I wish for an undo button on the hood screen! Even a warning message "this is going to mke big changes to the terrain - are you sure?"

We need the Simcity 3000 fix for the sims - when neighbouring cities have a problem with non-matching edges you get a message asking if you want to fix it.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 20, 01:51:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is why I always use completely flat terrains. My favourite one is one I have made in SC4 with no distinguishing features, completely level and covered with roads. Boring but great to build on.

amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 20, 05:34:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another annoyance about moving lots around is water level.  A lot with a pond in one place has a lot with a puddle at the bottom of a deep hole when moved a few squares over.  Another one is roads! When you place a lot, the road sometimes does very strange things  e.g.  I have a gap in the road where I moved lots along it!  How I wish for an undo button on the hood screen! Even a warning message "this is going to mke big changes to the terrain - are you sure?"

The only thing you can do is work from backed up hoods, when making major changes. Then if everything goes south, you can start over, after having learned from your previous mistakes.

I have reverted to redundant backups, more than once ....

For every King, there is a Queen ....
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 20, 07:24:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe you could export the terrain resources, place your lots, back up the hood, and replace the original terrain?  There's a tutorial around here somewhere...

Another trick is to take a 1x1 lot and repeated place it next to a giant hole in the road.  Eventually, the hole will fill in!
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 20, 17:45:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is why I always use completely flat terrains. My favourite one is one I have made in SC4 with no distinguishing features, completely level and covered with roads. Boring but great to build on.

I so plan to do that if I can get my SC4 game to load.  Im just not sure how far apart th place the roads.  Im all for boring so long as I have flat terrain.

ISFJ
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 21, 02:09:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here was me trying NOT to be so boring!  I'll go find some 1x1 lots - thanks for the tip.

I do backups periodically and before major build sessions or gameplay decisions, but who is to guess moving one lot is going to be major?

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 21, 04:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I so plan to do that if I can get my SC4 game to load.  Im just not sure how far apart th place the roads.  Im all for boring so long as I have flat terrain.

I can tell you that - glow of satisfaction:

No of Squares SC4             No of Squares TS2
no square (i.e. surrounded by roads)
                                       1x1
1x1                                  3x3
2x2                                  5x5
3x3                                  7x7
4x4                                  9x9
5x5                                  11x11

and so on

Bridges - you can only use the first one
Trees - watch it, a single small tree in SC4 becomes 9 trees in a clump in TS2                                 

Inteen for AL, yay!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: