More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 08:48:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  cleaninstaller 1.5.1.4 - exception errors leading to JIT debugger messages
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: cleaninstaller 1.5.1.4 - exception errors leading to JIT debugger messages  (Read 7571 times)
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
cleaninstaller 1.5.1.4 - exception errors leading to JIT debugger messages
« on: 2006 July 03, 12:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone know a workaround for the exception error problem you get when trying to install cleaninstaller 1.5.1.4? I pointed a beginner Simmer at cleaninstaller and she hit this problem and got JIT debugger error messages.  As far as I can see this was a new bug in 1.5.1.4 and there is no fix.  There are about a dozen people reporting the problem, but no answers on MTS2.  In Sep 2005 Phervers posted "well it's one of the mysterious bugs i have not managed to resolve, i'm starting to work on new version soon, after all my commercial projects are finished. You know i got to eat something "  I didn't find any more recent posts about cleaninstaller from him, so it's not looking good for a new version.

I re-read tons of that long closed cleaninstaller thread on MTS2 and I think I should tell her to try cliicking on the file she wants to install instead of opening cleaninstaller and trying to get at the file that way.  Failing that I think she needs to uninstall and go back to 1.5.1.  I was wondering if it was a bug you hit with a new install but not an upgrade - that's speculation of course on my part.

Anyone who knows cleaninstaller could usefully pop over to MTS2 occasionally and handle a few queries in the cleaninstaller forum - they go unanswered for months sometime.  It's sad because cleaninstaller is so important to the community

Here's part of my simmer's post - there are other examples on MTS2 - they come up with search on JIT debugger...
"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=oxb58 (2904), thread ox348(840) *note the entries after 0x and in the parentheses seem to change each time.
Click ok to terminate
Click cancel to debug the application."
I tried to debug and got "registered JIT debugger is not available….".

Thanks to anyone who replies - I know this isn't a mainstream MATY topic, but you guys understand way more techie stuff than me, so I thought I'd try asking anyway..
« Last Edit: 2006 July 03, 12:47:00 by cwykes » Logged

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: cleaninstaller 1.5.1.4 - exception errors leading to JIT debugger messages
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 03, 12:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Install an older version.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 03, 15:44:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since it is a JIT bug... you can try telling the person to uninstall/remove all Java related programs she might have. Use Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and remove JDK and anything related to Java. Then go to the http://java.sun.com and get the latest version. I had read that when you update java, it doesn't remove older/previous versions completely.

This is a shot in the dark, and I don't know if this will actually solve anything, because theoretically I would think the JRE would use the latest version. Java is compiled into bytecode, an intermediate representation that isn't the native machine code. That's why it can be run on multiple platforms/operating systems. It is then interpretted on the fly by the java virtual machine via its JIT (just in time) compiler. It's quite possible then that the compiler is sourcing older versions of its runtime environment. I'm totally bullshitting here, but it's worth a try. That is if J.M's suggestion to use an older version doesn't work. Tongue

Ste

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 03, 15:57:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks - she's definitely non techie so uninstalling Java things would freak her out.  but I'll save that suggestion in my little notepad file for a techier poster with the same problem.

I'll tell her to uninstall and get 1.5.1 instead.  Thanks guys.

UPDATE - looking back, I think I had to fix my JAVA before I could get 1.5.1.4 to install so you're onto something useful there Syberspunk.  I've offered your suggestion on the MTS2 CI board thanks.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 05, 12:12:32 by cwykes » Logged

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 07, 00:20:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I merged the two threads together, since the first one wasn't that old.  Unfortunately, that's about all the help I can provide.
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 07, 00:34:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Argh! You did it while I was translating...translation now lost! Undecided Cry

I'll do it again.
Sigh. Silly BlueSoups.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2006 July 07, 00:57:18 by ElfPuddle » Logged

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 07, 00:57:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not that the English is bad, but a little paragraphing and grammar never hurts. Smiley

Translation:
cwykes was trying to help me on the official site and here. I decided to post this myself to put all of the info together. Some houses/lots need Clean Installer to load, so I would like to solve this if I can. (Thanks, cwykes!)

Original message (translated by editor):
I can't download lots from the official Sims2 site. I use Sims 2 pack Clean Installer, but I can't download lots from the Sims2 site. Nor can I upload lots. I've tried, and after a week, but it still isn't there. I updated the installer to the latest version. The errors are below. I have no problem downloading lots from other sites or objects from the offical site.

I have contacted EA and Dell with no luck.
Can someone please help?

Errors {not translated for fear of messing up}:
"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=oxb58 (2904), thread ox348 (840) *note the entries after 0x and in the parentheses seem to change each time*.
Click ok to terminate
Click cancel to debug the application."

I tried to debug and got-"registered JIT debugger is not available…."
Install an older version.
I installed the 1.5.1 version with the same result

Since it is a JIT bug... you can try telling the person to uninstall/remove all Java related programs she might have. Use Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and remove JDK and anything related to Java. Then go to the http://java.sun.com and get the latest version. I had read that when you update java, it doesn't remove older/previous versions completely.
I don't have jdk. I have java 2 runtime environment se v1.4.2_03,  J2se runtime environment 5.0 update6, J2se runtime environment 5.0 update5.

I went to the site and I think J2se runtime environment 5.0 update6 is the latest version.
I am semi-techie and that's all the java I see.  Dell had me install the latest java for them to see and take control of my computer so I am pretty sure I do have the latest version.

I uninstalled Clean Installer and was able to download from the sims2 site. I got some of rsn houses and they work. I was able to save them to desktop and install them.

Dell had me change my internet settings in an effort to fix this problem, but I wouldn't know what to do there.

I installed Clean Installer again and tried TSR site (I primarily download from there). When I use TSR, the downloads install {?}  automatically; that's why I like it. With clean installer installed the clean installer takes over and installs.
The site seems to work and the clean installer (both 1.5.4 and 1.5.1versions) seem to work, they just don't work together for me. {This confuses the editor...didn't she just say the opposite?}

I looked up the JIT debugger online because it seems that my not having it is the problem. I was sent to a site to download a program called error killer. I've not heard of it and I didn't want to download something I didn't know.

I use McAfee and have had no problem installing with it.

thank you,
 boredmom, aka dia1722 on Sims2

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 07, 00:59:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Argh! You did it while I was translating...translation now lost! Undecided Cry

I'll do it again.
Sigh. Silly BlueSoups.  Cheesy

Sorry.  Tongue (Not really)
ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: help please!-exception errors leading to JIT debugger messages cont.
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 07, 01:00:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's allright, Blue. I should have known, since I knew the other thread was here. You do your job, I'll do mine.  Grin

Dell had me change internet settings in an effort to fix this problem i wouldn't know what to do there.
This makes it sound to me as if you have a cookie or internet settings issue.

I really don't know..my expertise is Language Arts, not computers.

Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 07, 01:46:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have Microsoft.net framework 1.1 installed?

If yes, then try to right-click on the file and select "Open with", then choose the Body Shop installer instead. If you are unsure about the contents of the package (like hacks, etc.) perhaps you can send the file to someone (I will volunteer) to check and see what the problem is.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 07, 07:25:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi there - looks like you've moved on a bit and are learning some techie stuff  Cheesy  I'm a researcher not a techie..
Correct me if I'm wrong -
1. You can download from the exchange with CI disabled as default program for sims2pack. - (that's how you got rsn's houses right?)

2. You can't download from the exchange with CI as default program for sims2pack and you get JIT debugger messages not a Error X type message that the exchange usually gives you. (that's why I suspect the problem is your end)

3. Can you open cleaninstaller and look in your packages when you aren't trying to download?  Is it working fine as far as you can see?  If you got CI 1.5.1.4 installed, you don't need 1.5.1

4. Was it updating the JAVA that got 1.5.1.4 to install?  If so I'd like to put that as firm advice on MTS2.

5. You can download from TSR OK -TSR has zip files

Is your PC automatically opening the zip file for you and you then use CI to install?  the difference between that and the exchange is that the exchange sends you the sims2pack file and your PC tries to open that with CI there and then.  What happens if you change your download settings? - apparently that's in tool options.  If your PC stops trying to open the package as soon as it gets it, are you still having problems? 

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 07, 07:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your post confused me, but I suspect Nec is right in advising to open .package files with BodyShop.  That's how I have it set in my game, since it didn't seem to automatically work, and it all works tickety boo.  Grin
ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 07, 18:01:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"tickety boo"Huh?

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 07, 18:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"with no problems."  Cheesy
ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 July 07, 18:19:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha! I think I'll use that in classes this year.
Can you visualize it? Me, standing in a room with 10 juniors (the other 20 haven't come back to school yet) saying, "If you do your best, and attempt the homework, then this class will be tickety boo."

ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 July 07, 23:05:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It works now? Hurray!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: