More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 16, 02:47:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Turning off security to download
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Turning off security to download  (Read 5326 times)
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
Turning off security to download
« on: 2006 January 10, 11:56:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was over at the Insim site to download a file and got this error message:

This download has been blocked because your browser isn't sending the correct (or any) referrer information.

This is probably because:

You're accessing this download from a site that isn't www.insimenator.net, which is the host of this download
You're using an over paranoid, badly made firewall or "security" package, such as Norton
You're using a download manager
If it's number 1, please visit the site.
If it's number 2, disable your firewall/security thingy and get a decent one (nb Norton isn't good - ZoneAlarm is a good free firewall).
If it's number 3, use your browser.

We apologise for any inconvenience, however this is a necessary step due to hotlinking draining the server's resources.
(bolding mine)

While I understand that they have been having a problem with hot linking, I'm not going to turn off my security just so I can download from them. Shouldn't they be able to configure their security in such a way that a user wouldn't have to do that? Am I being overly sensitive about this? Several years ago, my PC was hacked and I've kept internet security set on high every since then. What's the point of having an internet security program if you're going to disable it while you're online?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Turning off security to download
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 10, 12:01:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some sites have gotten really anal and annoying about the entire "Referrer" thing, and this is why I've been tempted to permanently axe the system by hacking the browser to always feed the originating site as its own referrer, thus ending this ridiculous nonsense.

Also, did I mention that the Insimenator is not awesome and therefore will have some very non-awesome behaviors?
« Last Edit: 2006 January 10, 12:06:55 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
simmiecal
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 10, 12:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some sites have gotten really anal and annoying about the entire "Referrer" thing, and this is why I've been tempted to permanently axe the system by hacking the browser to always feed the originating site as its own referrer, thus ending this ridiculous nonsense.

Also, did I mention that the Insimenator is not awesome and therefore will have some very non-awesome behaviors?

Yeah, but I like the body builder meshes and Teresa's custom foods. I like using Insim because I'm lazy. But now that Inteen isn't there, they don't have any of my "must have" content - only "I really like it" content. Sigh. I guess I will look elsewhere. I'm not going to turn off my security. I'm paranoid, therefore, my security settings on my computer reflect that.
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 10, 12:32:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...I've been tempted to permanently axe the system by hacking the browser to always feed the originating site as its own referrer...

I'd pay money for that.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 11, 02:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It appears you can't download anything unless you're a member.  And it's a very confusing site too!

Zephyr Zodiac
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 11, 02:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And it's a very confusing site too!

Huh how is it confusing? seems fairly straight forward to me
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 11, 02:44:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I thought it was confusing.  But I suppose it depends on what you're used to.

Zephyr Zodiac
simmiecal
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 11, 03:24:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And it's a very confusing site too!

Huh how is it confusing? seems fairly straight forward to me

I think if you're new to the site, all the board names - which aren't always descriptive of what you'll find in them - can be confusing. I'm sure it's the same when people first show up at MATY and see Burnination and some of the other forum headings.

I also posted a comment on one of the threads over there where they were asking why someone would start their own website instead of using an existing one (which I read as - what don't you like about our site that you would start your own). I really don't care for some of the moderation that goes on over there. I feel like I'm back in school (or in the military) you will NOT double post. You will NOT stray off topic.  I really like a lot of the contributors but I don't like posting over there. When I want to chat and post, I don't want to worry about someone getting their undies in a wad because the thread got derailed or someone double posted instead of editing their last comment. I know it's not proper netiquette to do those things and I try not to, but when I do, I don't want someone jumping on me about it. My sims and related forums are for relaxation - I'm not going to want to go somewhere where I can't "let me hair down" and relax.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 11, 03:34:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, exactly, it's not as if you're there to discuss your work problems, or other things related to your job, after all!  And if a thread goes too way off topic, then it's up to the mods to bring it back into line politely, if they feel the original topic still has some life in it, say when someone has asked a question that hasn't really been answered.

I must admit, I only went over there to see if McAfee has the same problems as Norton, but it wouldn't even let me try to download unless I registered first, which I didn't really want to do.

Zephyr Zodiac
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 11, 04:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well I popped over real quick and made myself look at it as if I had never been there before (and honestly there are some sections I haven't been into) and yes I can see how it can be confusing...hell I have trouble finding the custom content I uploaded there ages ago (when I had my own section)  Roll Eyes

Simmiecal, I agree with you about the moderation there, it used to be more relaxed... I don't spend much time there anymore, now I just take a quick look most days to see if anyone needs help with something I can actually help with *laughs*
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 11, 04:28:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't care for some of the moderation that goes on over there. I feel like I'm back in school (or in the military) ...

Ah, that's what I really really like about this site. My thread might get moved (or I might end up with trash cans, I suppose) but there's very little of that kind of stuff...

Unsouper
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 11, 04:40:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've found that some of the best information is in threads that have gone off topic!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 11, 06:34:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit, I only went over there to see if McAfee has the same problems as Norton, but it wouldn't even let me try to download unless I registered first, which I didn't really want to do.
Somebody should go contribute their account there to bugmenot, then.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: