More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 15, 04:47:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Question about loading order
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Question about loading order  (Read 4236 times)
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Question about loading order
« on: 2007 September 09, 13:40:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My copy of Bon voyage arrived yesterday, but for various reasons I'm waiting a bit before installing it.
When I do get around to it, probably in about a week, I plan to play my current neighbourhood for a while to get the feel of the EP and then start a new, fresh, perfect hood.
Because I'm using Natalie's incomplete face templates, my current hood is occupied by absolutely gorgeous adults, and equally hideous teens and elders.  This is not an arrangement I feel can continue.  So I'm wondering how exactly load order works.  Can I for instance use someone else's complete set of face replacements, and place Natalie's templates so that they override the adult ones?
Do packages simply load in alphabetical order and the latest to load takes charge, or is it more complicated than that?

I don't really know much about face templates, and I really don't feel like starting frankensteining my own.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Question about loading order
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 09, 13:48:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I understand, which is not a lot, you can replace any templates you like, just not the same one twice.  I use Sarakadie's set from MTS2, which is a complete set, so I don't have a problem with ugly teens etc.  I would think that theoretically it would be possible to use her child set on its own with the ones you are using, but I think the best thing would be to just test it out in a new hood (which can then be deleted) just to see what works and what doesn't.

Zephyr Zodiac
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 09, 14:01:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm perfectly aware that it's possible to mix and match complete templates.  I do that to a certain degree already.
What I want to know about is load order, and whether it is possible, when you know what you're doing to have two replacements of the same face, given that they load in the correct order.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 09, 14:09:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I was only trying to help - but you could try sticking a z in front of one and seeing what happens.....

Zephyr Zodiac
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 09, 20:44:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I imagine you could.  In XP (and I think Vista?) everything loads alphabetically, first by folder and then by file.  So like, files in Downloads load alphabetically, then files in the first subfolder in Downloads load alphabetically, then files in the second subfolder in Downloads, etc.

But why have two?  (Unless it's a situation where the creator stuck a bunch of templates together in the same file.)  If each template is in a separate file, you could leave out the adult templates from the other set you're using and just have Naitali's.  Save some loading time that way.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 10, 17:16:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The alternate set of templates I have been looking at had all ages of each face in one file.  I figure the safest thing to do is to just go through all those packages and delete the adult faces.  It's going to be a bit of work, but it's probably better than risking the weirdness I might encounter otherwise; I've seen some amazing things happen when people use multiple default skin replacements.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 10, 18:52:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Be easier to find a set of templates with a file for each age-group!  Or do you particularly like the set you have?

Zephyr Zodiac
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 12, 07:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like I said, it's a bit of mix and match.  Each individual face is one i particularily like better than other sets.   (Yes, I know I'm picky.)  And I want to use Natali's adult faces all 'round, because they look like they belong together.
But the reason I asked was because I'm interested in how the game loads files to begin with.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 12, 13:57:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However it does it, it's far less logical than Sims1!  At least then you could keep your custom walls and floors together through price - those menus in Sims2 are a mess!  If you went to a decorator's shop in RL and came across a muddle like that, I don't think you'd bother to buy from them!

As to faces, and anything else, I assume that it's all loaded according (a) to folder and (b) according to that stupid long file-name - if so, finding that and altering it could be the answer (as long as you don't accidentally duplicate any of them).

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: