More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 19:22:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  The great grocery rip off
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The great grocery rip off  (Read 5418 times)
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
The great grocery rip off
« on: 2006 June 23, 13:31:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is the resale value of a basket of groceries really zero? 

A couple of sims are running grocery stores and when I go to play a lot it's quite nice to find a basket of groceries in the inventory as opposed to a potted plant or an ugly sofa.  One sim had over 10 baskets!  I don't remember her buying 10, so maybe the inventory is screwed up, but anyway, when I went into buy mode and clicked to sell one, the value was 0 or zero/zilch/zip etc!  What A rip-off!

I started wondering whether all sims bought a standard size basket of groceries or whether they bought according to the level of food in their fridge (unlikely but possible) and whether it was for a small fridge or a large fridge.  Also what happens when a sim puts more food in the fridge than there is space for?  I'd welcome info on that from someone more observant or awesome.

It would also be nice if the sims would leave the baskets in the inventory instead of putting them away automatically.  I have those 10+ baskets sitting in the garden at the moment!

I noticed in SimPE that gossip is mixed up with inventory items, so a line of green text might say "groceries gossip about...." or "colonial sofa gossip about..." - It doesn't look right.  Is that a SimPE problem rather than a game problem or feature?  don't tell me it's a cwykes BFBVFS problem please....

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Havelock
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: The great grocery rip off
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 23, 14:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed in SimPE that gossip is mixed up with inventory items, so a line of green text might say "groceries gossip about...." or "colonial sofa gossip about..." - It doesn't look right.  Is that a SimPE problem rather than a game problem or feature?  don't tell me it's a cwykes BFBVFS problem please....

I only know the gossip prob are you sure you have the last Simpe ? Had the same but now the "groceries gossip about...." is gone now it says only basket groceries ore Plate , Bowl whatever there in the inventory is.

For the Fridge i tend to think they cant buy more Food as would go in the Fridge. So the get a zero Basket. Have a look at the funds of them.
« Last Edit: 2006 June 23, 14:57:54 by Havelock » Logged
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 23, 15:00:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I run a grocery store, and I've discovered a few things about grocery baskets. Sims will put them one at a time in the fridge every time that come home. This also means work. They probably put more in the fridge than it could hold. I saw nothing weird happen because of this. Also, grocery baskets never go bad. So if you have a lot, set them out. When you run low on food, tell them to put it away.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 23, 16:11:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have the cheap fridge, unless you want to send your sim downtown to buy food, it's usually cheaper to sell the fridge and buy a new one - you get 240 simoleons for the fridge and if it's nearly empty, the price of the groceris plus delivery adds up to more.

As to the grocery baskets, it's really annoying that if your sim actually OWNS the store, they can't put a basket in their own inventory!

And yes, I think the baskets are calculated on the amount of food in the fridge plus, I suppose, previous baskets.  So sometimes sims might well purchase empty ones.  Since all my shoppers are townies, they no doubt have an inventory full of empty baskets since they have no fridge!  Now, less than 100 years ago, few people had fridges, but they still bought groceries, dammit!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 23, 16:52:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The grocery basket's "Delete" value tends to be zero because the basket, in and of itself, has no intrinsic worth, and contains a variable number of food points.

Incidentally, this kind of random berserk shopping behavior is why playable shopping is bad: You'll never get your money back.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 23, 16:56:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Much better to emply towies to rip off other townies!

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 24, 03:48:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to stick them under the foundations and bring them out when the warning comes up that the fridge is running low (if I remember they're there, which I rarely do).  I've noticed that since the second patch, the delivery people are just depositing the baskets outside the houses now, not messing about ringing the doorbell and doing silly dances.  Far more sensible.  Have started ordering normally again now, rather than using Monique's computer express delivery or clicking "Restock" in debug mode.  Would buy them when they're downtown, but it can't be done because it's not the same neighbourhood (that is VERY irritating). 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 24, 07:02:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got one of dizzy's hacks to allow sims to randomly bring home food after work (sometimes they bring pizza) - it's great, I never have to worry about fridges running low, and there's no aspect of cheating as they are charged for the food they bring.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 24, 09:36:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The grocery basket's "Delete" value tends to be zero because the basket, in and of itself, has no intrinsic worth, and contains a variable number of food points.
As I figured, it's a particularly bad rip-off.   They ought to sell them for what they paid for them like other goods.  Is it fixable and are you moved to do it? 

So we think a sim buys as many groceries as will fit in his fridge at that moment not a standard basket.  If he buys a second basket, ZZ thinks he pays zero for it.  I suspect he buys the same basket again as many times as he is moved to do it.  The sim pays for that number of food points whatever price is charged (could be ridicously cheap or expensive).  All the baskets have a resale value of zero regardless of what you paid for them.  When he gets home, that first basket would fill up the fridge.  If you wait until the fridge is empty, does that basket still fill up the fridge?  i.e. does the record about the basket actually store how many food points were paid for?

I tend to stick them under the foundations and bring them out when the warning comes up that the fridge is running low.
I've used the foundation trick too, useful  Smiley but most of my houses don't have them - too expensive for starter homes.

If you have the cheap fridge, unless you want to send your sim downtown to buy food, it's usually cheaper to sell the fridge..
I think this is the cheap uni fridge, not the one in base game.  I don't have Uni, but I'll check my game again.

I only know the gossip prob are you sure you have the last Simpe ? Had the same but now the "groceries gossip about...." is gone now it says only basket groceries ore Plate , Bowl whatever there in the inventory is.
I have version 0.58.1.29297  which I thought was the latest as I DL'd again recently, but will go check.  thanks

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 27, 00:39:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the latest public SimPe available and I have the same gossip about grocery or whatever tokens
« Last Edit: 2006 June 27, 00:45:00 by StarrKist » Logged

ISFJ
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: