More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 12, 18:47:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Which hacks cause resets?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Which hacks cause resets?  (Read 8844 times)
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
Which hacks cause resets?
« on: 2007 February 19, 00:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd really like to know which hacks are known to cause resets when added/removed.  Searching gave me so many threads to look at that I gave up - feel free to point me elsewhere...   I've read these two cause resets:.

noinstantlove
dramafix

I'd like to put a whole new hood/sub-hood available for download from my new MATY space and the prospect of resets messing up my scenarios is annoying.  I'd like to put up a hack free version for download, but if I understand it right, the hood will reset when put into a game that has cetain hacks in it.  If I put up a version made with hacks in the game, it will reset if someone takes the hacks out.  I'm not sure which way to jump on this - the answer probably depends on which hacks we're talking about.

Meadow Lawns was intended to be a new business sub-hood but it has a lot of sims and lots so I'll probably put it up as a hood in its own right.  I hope to get a version up in the next week or so.  I thought some of you might like to explore The Seasons and it's new bugs by playing a pre-made hood not thrown together by maxoids at EA.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
Re: Which hacks cause resets?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 19, 00:33:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you'll find that the sims would reset anyway, even if the person downloading had a completely hack free game.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 19, 00:53:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would they reset?  All the hood info is contained in that one folder - you should just be able to drop it in somewhere else and continue playiing from exactly where you were - provided the game set up matched.  I guess dropping the hood into a game with a different set of EPs might be a problem too.  If I can't avoid a reset, I need to set certain things up differently.

Apart from the whole question of what do I do about this hood, I'd really like to know which hacks cause resets so that I don't move them around casually! 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 19, 01:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember when I installed MATYville when it first came out, I did it on a separate login.  The only hacks on that login were the ones included with the MATYville download - in other words they were identical to those used to produce the neighbourhood.

All the sims were reset when I went into the neighbourhood for the first time.  In some of the houses it was the middle of the night and sims were standing next to their beds.

So if you were wanting sims to be still watching tv, or on the workout machine, or at work ... then I don't think that's going to be possible.  I suspect that when someone opens the neighbourhood for the first time on their computer the sims will instead be standing next to the sofa or the workout machine or by the letterbox.  Even if their hacks & EP/SPs installed are identical to yours.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 19, 02:12:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think even in Maxis pre-made hoods the sims will be reset like this.  I couldn't remember what the sims were doing when I first played TS2, but when I installed TS2 on my other machine and opened the Pleasant's house as it was shipped, everyone was standing around in the dining room area, and it was early in the morning before Mary Sue and the twins headed off to work/school.  The Dreamers were standing in the living room just before Dirk heads to school.  The Goths were standing in the back yard next to the wedding arch with Don there waiting for Cassandra to propose to him.  And of course, Don was standing in his house doing nothing.  And the Caliente twins were standing looking at each other on top of their condo, waiting for Mortimer to walk by.  So everyone was standing around, not in the process of doing anything, and most of these were early in the day when reset motives wouldn't be much of a problem.  And obviously any patch or EP applied subsequently will result in a reset.  So I think it's nearly impossible to avoid resets and should actually be planned for. 
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 19, 02:46:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I should plan for reset motives and activities rather than manoeuvering to avoid it.  Ok that makes sense. 
What else gets reset?  Time? Age  I really don't want it to get set to Monday morning - just missed the school bus - by doing something silly.   And I really don't want sims going back to the beginning of a life stage....  I've had that happen with sims moved around and packaged!

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 19, 03:06:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think time gets reset - only the sims do. I recently played the vanilla base game (to see all the scenarios before reinstalling the EPs and SPs), and many of the houses were set to evening or night-time when I entered them. I'm not sure about ages, but I seem to recall that Olive Specter was just about to keel over, and the Grunt teenagers were quite close to becoming adults, so I don't think the ages get reset either.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 19, 03:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, time and day only resets to Monday morning when you move to a new house.  Daniel Pleasant was just a few days from elder, and Mortimer Goth was 2-3 days from meeting the Grim Reaper, so that's safe.  Only their motives are reset, and they assume a default stance, standing straight up with their elbows slightly bent for older sims, and toddlers will be on the floor on all fours.  Babies usually are lying on the floor beside the crib.  Nothing else I can think of gets reset.  Sometimes if sims are in bed when this happens, the covers will still look like there is someone under them, but this is easily remedied.  Oh, and you probably know that if sims had a stuck smart milk bit, they will lose that too.  If the sims have cars, make sure they are all home because I've lost several cars that had been driven to work before I saved and installed something in the meantime.  If there is a carpool or schoolbus when you save the lot, the driver will be standing outside the car.  You won't be able to interact with them, but they will walk off the lot and another carpool will come.  Dirty dishes and food left out sometimes act strange.  That's all I can think of right now. 
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 19, 16:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Left out books will be standing straight up, as well.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 19, 17:25:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, if you have pets, they will be sunk halfway through the ground!
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 19, 23:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I can see what it's going to look like by taking out noinstantlove.  I was planning on doing that anyway as the gain from no instant love is irritatingly offset by sims who will woohoo but refuse to make out and sims who seem to be completely frigid!

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 20, 07:29:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I can see what it's going to look like by taking out noinstantlove.  I was planning on doing that anyway as the gain from no instant love is irritatingly offset by sims who will woohoo but refuse to make out and sims who seem to be completely frigid!

Hahah.  I'm actually looking forward to this!  I have yet to really experience this sort of "frustration" and I would love to see it happen in my game.  So far tho... I do have one couple (ironically enough, it is my sim self and the sim version of my hubby Tongue) who can make out, kiss, and woohoo, but they haven't fallen in love yet.  I think they have crushes on each other, but no love yet...

Still, they only spent two semesters worth of time interacting with each other.  I don't even remember if they are 100/100 yet.  It would make me kinda sad if my sim self can't fall in love with my hubby's sim self.  Heh.  But I could easily fix that with InSim. Tongue Still... I kinda like the idea of Woohoo without love and totally fridgid sims.  Grin

As for resetting... well, I think it has been explained that certain hacks, like Smart Beds, can cause resets if removed and/or replaced/put back in.  If I understood properly, any hack that changes a BHAV which a sim had been saved as being in the middle of running, can potentially be reset.  In the case of Smart Beds, any sims that were sleeping in any bed will get reset if you add/remove the hack.  That is because, they were in the middle of running the sleep interaction, which the hack obviously changes.  Since they were running old "code" that essentially doesn't exist/has been changed, the sim is forced out of the interaction, and is thus reset.  The same goes for objects, such as controllers and what not.  I have that no dormie invulnerability hack (I forget what it was called exactly) and I think it caused the dorm controller to reset.  I only noticed it [relatively] recently, because I've now been playing with debug mode on.  And it had only been happening, once in all the new dorms that I started.  At first, I thought it was a fluke, but now it totally makes sense.

Ste

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 February 20, 11:00:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So saving when sims are doing nothing means there's nothing to reset...  That makes sense.   I'll try and leave the sims in a situation where resets won't matter.

I've uploaded an unfinished version of this hood of mine for a bit of testing  - you can DL and peek or loot the lots now if you want.  If you want to play it "as intended", wait a bit for the final version, but if you are bored and peek now please tell me what you'd like to see done with it.  I need to check each lot, finish the albums and maybe write sim bios, but first I need to finish playing one family.  I hope it will work well in Seasons - the elders should have some gardening time and the fishing should be good anyway!
It's a 70MB RAR - which is big.. Half of it is lots. I think I could get it back to 50MB by omitting storytelling Sad and deleting all the gossip. 

It'll be here with a small rar file of random pics as soon as I can fix the html
follow the new project link at the top
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes/
« Last Edit: 2007 February 21, 02:13:14 by cwykes » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 February 20, 11:59:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno, woohoo but refusing to make out makes a sort of sense to me. I mean, being glued to someone's icky face is just eew.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 February 21, 02:31:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno, woohoo but refusing to make out makes a sort of sense to me. I mean, being glued to someone's icky face is just eew.

And woohoo doesn't involve being glued to someone?

I decided that even my romance sim Vera had standards - she was not going to woohoo for the very first time with a guy who looked horrified at the idea of making out with her!  She persevered with her first love for a long time suffering rejection after rejection.  I was actually toying with the idea of aging her to elder unwoohooed!

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 February 21, 02:48:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silly Pes.  Tongue

I once was running a test in TS2 a long time ago with two male sims who were brothers.  I was basically running the game on high speed and just watching what they would do, and when they transitioned to elder, they both spun up a want for first woohoo and a fear of dying without ever having woohoo.  Cheesy
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 February 21, 06:28:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The repair guy is a virgin.  Chelsea Cheeze, the tramp wife of Chester, the Grilled Cheese Sim, asked him out on a date, and he promptly spun up the want to WooHoo for the Very First Time.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 February 21, 06:48:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess he's a virgin because you took out those Mystery Sim memories....  You see the mystery sim has a very worthwhile purpose for his/her existence!  Cheesy

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 February 21, 07:14:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I've never seen any woohoo memories with the Mystery Sim, only kisses.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 February 21, 07:53:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're right!  Embarrassed  The mystery sim is probably frigid too. Their purpose is to ensure townies have at least been kissed.  That means they are all virgins!

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 February 21, 09:48:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silly Pes.  Tongue

I once was running a test in TS2 a long time ago with two male sims who were brothers.  I was basically running the game on high speed and just watching what they would do, and when they transitioned to elder, they both spun up a want for first woohoo and a fear of dying without ever having woohoo.  Cheesy

I  had a sim spin those.. she lived alone with her two servos.. so I thought, I wonder if they can woohoo servos?

That was how I learned about the most expensive "woohoo" toy in the game. XD

INFP or something
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 February 21, 18:40:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess he's a virgin because you took out those Mystery Sim memories....  You see the mystery sim has a very worthwhile purpose for his/her existence!  Cheesy

Nope, he was still an NPC when she invited him on a date... I just checked his wants during the date, and there it was!
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2007 February 21, 23:37:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

miros - I was wrong - all the NPCs and townies are virgins until you do somethiing about it.  The mystery sim draws the line after kissing.  At least we are spared first kiss videos for all the townies.   I've never seen that want though.

I decided that even my romance sim Vera had standards - she was not going to woohoo for the very first time with a guy who looked horrified at the idea of making out with her!  She persevered with her first love for a long time suffering rejection after rejection.  I was actually toying with the idea of aging her to elder unwoohooed!

Turns out her first love hasn't even got a crush on her despite everything she did!  He didn't mind her kissing and hugging him, but no way was he making out.  So he sound frigid right?  However, he was perfectly happy to woohoo in a hottub with her as her 3rd woohoo.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: