More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 20, 18:34:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?  (Read 101998 times)
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
Re: CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?
« Reply #175 on: 2006 February 25, 19:08:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I will kill my fotune sims if they ever dare to develop a want of big houses. I HATE big houses.
I am willing to pay for clothes (especially fashionable male clothes) and objects.  I like my doll houses to be pretty. If I am going to play dolly, the dolls must at least look right and the dollhouses shld be nice and pretty.

But recently I develop some weakness towards hair.

Go Away
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2006 February 25, 19:13:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just out of intrest where did u get the preaty dolls house from ,
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2006 February 25, 19:14:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just out of intrest where did u get the preaty dolls house from ,

I don't build dollhouses. I download them off TSR. Pinecat's house  are pretty good doll houses.

Go Away
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2006 February 25, 21:31:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or perhaps it depends on skill...
A tip for recolours though - the selective colour/colour balance tools are best for doing simple recolours - don't bother w/ the paintbrushes. If neither of those get you the colour you want, then layer a colour on top and then use the alpha + quick mask to delete unnecessary parts. And if you're doing a specific part of the img, just quick mask via the little thingy in the left hand corner.

Ye-eeess, that might have been helpful to me if it were still 1998 when I was new to photoshop.  Both methods are okay for a quick job or a non-dramatic colour change, but for a dramatic colour change (like when I changed khaki pants to bright orange) some areas need to be repainted to emphasize shadows and folds - best done on a seperate layer just in case one makes a huge mistake due to cat interference or whatever. Adding a texture is also considerably more time-consuming (although the clone tool is invaluable), and of course adding details like buckles, labels, seams, and et cetera takes extra time as they need to be painted on. It's easier if one can cut-and-paste the details from something else but some painting and tweaking is always needed to properly integrate the pasted details.

Lately I've been wondering just how easy it really is to paste a photo over for the texture and have it look good. There is a person on MTS2 (with the obligatory "DON'T STEAL MY STUFF!" line in her signature Wink ) who has been producing a number of clothing items lately that are pasted photos. In some cases she used a mesh that doesn't match the texture so it only looks good from straight on, and all that I've examined have badly mismatched seams. Pasting a photo might be easy, but I'm starting to think that actually making it look good is quite another matter...

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2006 February 25, 23:02:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plus if you got the photo from a fashion website, there's a whole other issue of copyright!  Now, copying the photo to produce your own clothing is different, it would never exactly resemble the original, and of course, it wouldn't be the original.

Zephyr Zodiac
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2006 February 26, 00:37:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I suppose some guy who runs a hot dog stand on the street is like "Paris Hilton leeching off her daddy" because making hot dogs is very little work as well.  I could probably make a hot dog in a shorter amount of time than I could mesh hair for the game so why the hell are we paying for hot dogs??  Or anything that we either claim or think requires very little effort to make?  Oh, that's right, because no one is forcing us to. 

You sound like a pissy child stamping your feet because you can't get what you want.  This has nothing to do with work ethic and who are you to question anyone's work ethic when you know absolutely nothing about them?  You're right, I wouldn't understand.  Sorry, but I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of someone being so incredibly bitter over a game. 

And I stick by my "just shut up" argument.  This world and the Sims 2 community would be a much better place if people didn't take everything so goddamn seriously and just shut the hell up.  Did it ever occur to you in all of your anti-pay site fist pumping and "work ethic" pontifications that maybe some people charge for content because a)there will always be people out there willing to pay for it and b) they enjoy making objects, clothes, etc and would like to make money doing something that they enjoy? 

And I'm sure Paris Hilton has enough of her own money now that she doesn't have to use her father's (or "leech off of him" as you so not-bitterly put it).

I don't see myself pumping my fists, so I really don't know what you're talking about.  Tongue

Selling hot dogs involves standing in the elements, in the bitter cold at negative temperatures, in the rain and snow, summers w/out air conditioning. I've seen many vendors out on the street in terrible weather. So yeah, their job is definitely more difficult than sitting in front of a computer fiddling with pictures. Not that I eat hot dogs anyway. Do you know what they put in that stuff?

"The world would be a better place...yada yada" - Well, make sweeping, unsubstantiated generalizations much? Accepting pay content is going to solve all the world's problems, huh? I wonder if Bush knows that.  Cheesy

And money begets money. I'm sure you've realized that?

Ye-eeess, that might have been helpful to me if it were still 1998 when I was new to photoshop.

Hey, you said recolours took you ages. I just assumed the worst is all. Why anyone would want hot orange pants I don't know, but still, a few touch-ups with a brush isn't what I'd call difficult.

This is starting to turn into Retardo Land material, you know.

It is getting pretty silly. Well, it's your call.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2006 February 26, 06:16:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am just curious, do you make custom content? Like clothes and hair and stuff? (not walls and floors) Do you mesh? Or mod stuff?
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2006 February 26, 09:03:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She said she did earlier, but it apparently doesn't exist anywhere. Talk is cheap!

sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2006 February 27, 16:43:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ouchie ouch.  Took some time off and boy did this turn nasty.  Not that it means much but - I don't mind paying for a one time good deal since I just can't be bothered to figure out how to do it myself.  I have no problem whatsoever paying someone else to create something I would love to have but don't have the discipline or know-how to make myself.  Buyer Beware though.  I don't always like what I buy but such is life.

Now - subscriptions.  Not gonna pay someone that I may not even want something from (or I may just forget about)  I just got a charge on my card for a one year subscription to Allakhazam from my old EQ days for 29.95.  I can't even remember the last time I used that site but that is what alot of subscription sites rely on (I am also a member of Realarcade which bites me constantly because I am too lazy to call their 1-800 number and cancel)

Kinda reminds me of car insurance.  I have been paying for over 20 years with never a claim..  I think I should get a consolation prize of a new car or something by now  Roll Eyes

I am probably going to buy that hair but I will wait until I do a clean load with OFB and start integrating downloads in.  I always do without downoads until I just can't take it anymore  Grin

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2006 February 27, 17:49:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless the site is enormous, you can usually get all you want from it with a one month sub - at least that's my opinion.  Interestingly, subbing for one month is often cheaper than a couple of donation sets, too!

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2006 February 27, 19:24:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i think thats becasue with a donation set its like a good will payment to keep the rest of the site free ,and a subscibtion everybody pays so the cost of the site is spilt between more people , (if that makes sense) which i dont have a promblem with normally except when simslice was a "free" site most of the objects were in donation packs with cost over $75 to purchase them all ,now that is a rip off ,
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2006 February 27, 19:38:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I think with either kind of site, a lot depends on how much free stuff is being subsidised.  When Sandy at AroundTheSims can do it all for a one-off, in perpetuity subscription, for which you get some nice gifts, and the ability to download everything at once, instead of one item at a time, one does begin to wonder how much of some site's "donations" are really just for keepin the site going.  I don't have a problem with them making a profit, but I do have a problem if they aren't up-front.

Zephyr Zodiac
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2006 February 27, 20:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i think thats becasue with a donation set its like a good will payment to keep the rest of the site free ,and a subscibtion everybody pays so the cost of the site is spilt between more people , (if that makes sense) which i dont have a promblem with normally except when simslice was a "free" site most of the objects were in donation packs with cost over $75 to purchase them all ,now that is a rip off ,
I have to agree that $75.00 is a rip off  and more so when the claim  from a site is  how "free" it is. I have my share of subscriptions  to sites such as the sims vault  and TSR but at least those sites dont claim to be "free" while both sites do have freebies.I also have other sites I subscribe to or pay for a month here or there and sites that I will buy a "donation" Item from here and there. My most costly but  also my most important subscription is MATY..

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2006 February 27, 21:14:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have two opposing views on the subscription cost of MATY.  On one hand, it's a bargain if my monthly fees are going to help JM get the game, which will ensure my game stays Awesome-ized.

On the other hand, all the hacks are free, so all I'm really paying for is the privelege to post.  Tongue

And on that note, congratulations you whiny wussy, ZZ.  Wink
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2006 February 27, 22:39:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And on that note, congratulations you whiny wussy, ZZ. 

He's scraping the barrel a bit now, isn't he!  I'm still wondering about XYZ!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2006 February 27, 23:38:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe he should just make ZZ stand for ZephyrZodiac!  Since you'll probably be the first and one of the few who actually reach that.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2006 February 27, 23:42:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But just think - if he reaches it, he'd have to call himself Zephyr Zodiac too!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2006 February 27, 23:44:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But just think - if he reaches it, he'd have to call himself Zephyr Zodiac too!
Actually, he won't because as site owner, he has a custom title.  You'll notice the standard titles don't apply to members of the senate either.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2006 February 27, 23:51:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Joke, Joyce! Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2006 February 28, 01:44:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do agree that paying for a 30 days sub is better than a donation side. I really like Carol at 4ever sim fantasy's donation set but at 3.50 euros, its too much for my wallet to take, even if she promises 50 -75 new meshes. And let's face it, I will only use that donation set in a few houses. so that is not worth it.
But if Carol considers a sub fee , I will sign up.

And for TSR, even with a 2 months sub, I don't download much. I only download 2000 items (which to me are not crap). I go for quality and not quantity. I rather pay for a good item than to get 10 lousy items.

Speaking of which, TSr has been recruting too many FAs. Some of their works are like crap and I don't understand how they get FA-ised Tongue

And Maty the only site worth every single cent of my $.  Cheesy

Go Away
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2006 February 28, 01:51:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would love it if 4ESF got a subscription policy, rather than a set-donation.  It'd be much cheaper, and I'd definitely sub for that.  She updates all the time.
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2006 February 28, 02:42:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't have. If she have, I won't be here talking about it.
and she doesn't update all the time maybe once a while but not frequent. but its worth paying US$5 for 1 month to get all the donation sets Tongue

Go Away
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2006 February 28, 02:48:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, she updates often enough for me.  She has one of the biggest subfolders in my Downloads folder.
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2006 February 28, 02:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, she updates often enough for me.  She has one of the biggest subfolders in my Downloads folder.

Same here. But sad thing is not many recolors.
Maybe we could post a suggestion to her. Carol is one person I don't mind she makes a profit. She is awesome so is her son.

Go Away
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2006 February 28, 04:53:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Joke, Joyce! Grin
I have trouble sometimes telling when you're joking.   Undecided
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: