More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 04:47:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Business Owner are unemployed?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Business Owner are unemployed?  (Read 6402 times)
IcemanTO
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Business Owner are unemployed?
« on: 2006 April 01, 17:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure this was discussed before.
Anyway, a Sim owner of a community shop, appears in my game as always unemployed if it has not a "regular" job.

Is this a big idiot (another) Maxis Bug, or it's possible to solve?

Ice

The only real purpose of IceFall Climbing is to grab enough ice for my Martini.
Vren Lyet
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Business Owner are unemployed?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 01, 18:20:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope I've understood correctly: you wonder why your Sim isn't declared a "shop owner" in his job performance panel, right?

Well, as a matter of fact this Sim IS unemployed as he/she is the OWNER and therefore the EMPLOYER = the one doing the employing. Wink

This is not a bug.

If it's bothering you... Wink ...it's no problem for your Sim to have a regular job (any career track) AND be the owner of a dozen community shops.

Black holes suck!
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 01, 22:20:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, I've been buying my Celebrity Chefs restaurants -- finally something for them to REALLY do, and the money they make as a CC is more than enough to tide them over as they build up the business.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 02, 23:49:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my highly skilled shop owners was hired as a manager by another of my favourite sims to get her business up to level 10.  Then she sold it to a townie and my owner quit her job.  I think of it as consultancy!  I'm planning to have her hire her former employer sometime!

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 04, 08:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see a problem with them being considered unemployed as they're available to their friends without conflicting job schedules.  And if you have a phone in their shop, which is a handy thing, especially if you want to hire employees, their friends call them frequently while they're at work (that is, unless you use the phone hack to turn off the ringer).

Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 04, 15:21:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everyone else has pretty much explained it.  Sims can hold a standard job, or work for another Sim-Business Owner and still run their own shops.  Considering most shops start out losing money, you almost need the free money from the stupidly easy standard jobs to keep yourself going in the meantime. 

Besides, if you were given the "Shop Owner" job upon getting your first Business, how are you going to run multiples?  It's not like the game is built to let you have more than one job at a time, after all.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 04, 19:07:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose if it bothers you, you could always create a custom career called "Self-Employed" with no work hours, and assign your business owner to that career.  Then at least it would say something other than "Unemployed".

Karen
pearlbh
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 05, 13:39:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose if it bothers you, you could always create a custom career called "Self-Employed" with no work hours, and assign your business owner to that career.  Then at least it would say something other than "Unemployed".

I've done that, actually.  I made the career long before OFB for work at home Sims (selling paintings, writing novels, etc.)  But now some people were discussing this on N99 so I posted it on the POBS board.  Details here:

http://p218.ezboard.com/fstarlightsimsfrm77.showMessage?topicID=207.topic

JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 06, 02:51:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to be a member of N99 to get that career, but membership is free.

N99 is a great place.

Pearl did a simple but very needed thing. (Thanks!) :-)

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
porkypine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 06, 17:35:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Being 'unemployed' whle owning a business doesn't bother me. What bugs me though, is when my sims call someone who does have a job somewhere and a person at the house, usually the wife, rudely answers the phone with something like. "No. He's at work, working, unlike someone who's calling."  Implying that my sim is a bum because they aren't employed by someone.

Entgleichen
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 06, 20:56:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree, this is a phrase I hate, too. Furthermore, it isn't true all the time. Is it my sim's fault that work times differ? Maybe I'll look for it in the text files and change it, some time.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 12, 15:30:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Being 'unemployed' whle owning a business doesn't bother me. What bugs me though, is when my sims call someone who does have a job somewhere and a person at the house, usually the wife, rudely answers the phone with something like. "No. He's at work, working, unlike someone who's calling."  Implying that my sim is a bum because they aren't employed by someone.

Didn't Pescado fix this in the OFB update to the Phone Hack?

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Lady_Z
Asinine Airhead

I Byte

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 14, 02:07:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a different problem and I caused it myself, but don't know how to fix it.

I have twin sisters, one of whom owns a Lamp Shop.  I got a hack to allow the hiring of relatives...and had one sister hire the other...however..oops...I accidentally had the wrong twin hire the one who owned the business.  Well to compound the problem, I then had the real owner hire the other twin. 
Now they are both employees of the Lamp Shop and after working in it as playable Sims together for 4 Simdays...they must go home, where the car pool picks them up and they go to their own store from 9 to 5 to work.  They make $350 a day each but this wasn't my plan. 
I planned on their spare time being used to pick up guys, party and you know...what pretty twin sisters do....

I wonder...if I disable the hack...will it go back to one twin owning and one just hanging out?

I play games, therefore I am
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: