More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 01:59:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Build Mode/Game Crash Issue
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Build Mode/Game Crash Issue  (Read 6251 times)
Noodles
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Build Mode/Game Crash Issue
« on: 2010 May 25, 20:25:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I in all my retardedness have not been very successful with troubleshooting this issue with google or search on MATY.   

I have all EPs and SPs.  I have found that since I've added everything beyond OFB (I installed the rest in one big go), I have had problems with my game crashed sporadically whenever I try to use the Build/Deconstruct Walls tool.  The same occurs with fences and stairs.  Sporadically is nice...if I'm not in a top down view, and I don't lay down a wall very quickly, it *will* crash. 

When this occurs I am returned to my desktop with a severe Windows error.  It appears to be the graphics driver or card (but I'm no computer genius).  My resolution is reduced to 800x600 and 16colors.  My only solution is to restart my computer.

I did try removing the downloads folder, it made no discernible difference.

Specs:
Windows XP
Media Center Edition (bleh) w.SP3
2.99 GB RAM
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370@ 1.73 GHz
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

I have no CD due to the fact I'm using a laptop with no functioning CD drive (broken) and no display (also broken) and no keyboard (missing keys).  The game was installed using some creativity on my husband's part with my old computer's hard drive and our network drive. 
This is a Gateway laptop I got for free from one of my coworkers after the Parkersburg IA tornado in May 2008 ate her house - you know the one that they showed all the videos of eating a house for dinner?  (If you don't, Google it...extremely cool).  He took it apart to make sure the insides were fine (and they were) so we're sort of using it like a tower PC. 

This is the ONLY thing that causes this computer to crash.  I've been using it since July 08

Any suggestions?  If it's just the fact the laptop is a piece, I can accept that but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Build Mode/Game Crash Issue
« Reply #1 on: 2010 May 26, 07:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your computer is a lappy. Does it even have a graphics card? Without a graphics card, you cannot play games without them messing up eventually, and it is a miracle if you can get them to run at all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baron
Tyyppi
Horrible Halfwit

Even more arrows in knees!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 May 27, 05:10:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

This is the graphics card, and it's just not enough for gaming purposes.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 May 27, 09:13:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's a chipset. If it doesn't include a graphics card, then you don't have a graphics card and cannot render 3D properly. This forces your CPU to do all the work, which causes it to melt down shortly. No graphics card = no games.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010 June 08, 14:36:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've no idea why it's crashing when you build walls, fences and stairs but not elsewhere, sorry Sad 
You might be able to work around it by using Numenor's AnyGameStarter (somewhere on MTS2).  If you set up a separate game for building with fewer EPS, you should be able to build without crashing.  You can try various EP combinations for the building game, but I'd suggest leaving Seasons out because it's the worst graphics hog.  If you build something you like, package the lot and then install it into your full game.

You could also use the AnyGameStarter to explore what difference leaving out a few of the higher EPs makes.  Don't run the trials on your main game and don't forget that you can't take out M&G because your hoods are now in M&G format; they won't load if you take out M&G.

You know that you have to turn all the graphic options down I'm sure; no reflections etc etc. 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 June 09, 02:30:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've no idea why it's crashing when you build walls, fences and stairs but not elsewhere, sorry   
You might be able to work around it by using Numenor's AnyGameStarter (somewhere on MTS2).  If you set up a separate game for building with fewer EPS, you should be able to build without crashing.
Did you happen to notice the part where the OP's computer doesn't have a graphics card?  It might be able to run TS1, but TS2 is going to be beyond its scope, unless the goal is, as Pescado pointed out, to burn out the processor.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010 June 09, 05:23:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can get Sims 2 to run on a lappy; the processor does the work a graphics card would normally do. It doesn't run well, but I've chatted with other simmers doing that.  Usually they stop about OFB, but Noodles says she has it running now with all EPs and SPs and just wants some help avoiding crashes in build mode.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: