More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 23:43:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Glamour Life Furniture not fully pets enabled
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Glamour Life Furniture not fully pets enabled  (Read 16613 times)
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Glamour Life Furniture not fully pets enabled
« on: 2006 October 21, 16:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just checked and what little furniture there is in GLS either doesn't have options for Pets to use or is missing some. Way to go Maxis.  Tongue

Here's what they can do from my testing:

Banquet chair: nothing (should have sit, nap & scratch/chew)
Prosperous Perch Chair: sit & nap (but no scratch or chew)
Luxurious Nights Sleep (bed): scratch/chew but no sleep or relax
Swankstrovision TV (Best Buy bonus gift): no option to watch TV

Pampered Sounds Stereo: Does have the option to sing along (This is the only options pets have for stereos)

There are some objects that pets seem to be able to still use even if they are custom and were cloned from pre-Pets objects. These include all counters (AFAIK), most statuary, some decorative plants (sadly, no climbing the Christmas tree) and some misellaneous decorative items (like the grandfather clock).

For custom objects you can't really tell what they were cloned from easily so with decorative objects that are custom they may or may not be scratchable/chewable depending upon which object they were cloned from.

Oh and by the way, the racecar set is not enabled for pets at all, but of course Maxis purposely hid that for modders to find.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2006 October 21, 17:09:41 by Motoki » Logged

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Rebochan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Glamour Life Furniture not fully pets enabled
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 21, 16:39:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least you can get the Glamour Life furniture to show.  All the Glamour Life additions are missing since I installed Pets.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 21, 16:44:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try checking the collection? GLS also adds a few collections with the GLS stuff in it besides just adding it to the buy catalog.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 21, 18:57:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least you can get the Glamour Life furniture to show.  All the Glamour Life additions are missing since I installed Pets.

That's because your installation messed up and you didn't know it. You're going to have to uninstall Pets manually, and then uninstall the whole ugly mess and reinstall. One person had luck with just getting rid of Pets, then removing the Sims2 folder from My Documents (the whole thing, not just downloads) and then installing Pets, but someone else didn't. Worth a try if you don't feel like reinstalling everything, though.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 21, 23:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I realize I am replying to myself here  Tongue but I have to say I am really irritated about this whole furniture thing and wish they had found a way to add the pets interactions without having to update the objects themselves.

At this point, I've junked all my custom chairs, sofas, beds, TVs and radios, well really pretty much all my custom objects because it was just easier than fishing them out. If I use them now it's really like a cheat since the pets messing up the furniture and your sims scolding them (or letting them do it) is part of the game. I also want the pets to be able to sit and sleep and the beds and seatings and to watch and sing with the tv and radio.

The only thing I can hope for at this point I guess is that maybe SimPE will come up with some batch update tool to bring pre-Pets objects up to being useable by the pets, sort of like the whole University compatible recolors issue.

You'd think they'd consider that custom content is really important to the community and try to find ways to add expansions that don't break or marginalize the custom stuff, but I guess they don't really care.  Angry

Oh well, at least the game loads faster now.  Tongue

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 22, 00:56:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing I can hope for at this point I guess is that maybe SimPE will come up with some batch update tool to bring pre-Pets objects up to being useable by the pets, sort of like the whole University compatible recolors issue.
Not feasible. Updating for pets is specific from object to object, and varies in level of time-consumingness. For instance, it took awhile to update (blindly, because we don't have new-TTAB support yet), the Flushforce Terlet to ZOMGPETZ!!!111oneoneone, but now it seems to be properly cat-compatible, not to mention the single object is reverse-compatible with pre-ZOMGPETZ!!!111oneoneone. (Max, update the copy on your site accordingly).

However, now I could update any such terlet in a few seconds.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 22, 02:43:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish Numenor would do something like his scriptorium for custom modular stairs for Petz. But that's probably not possible and a very Jelenedra thing to suggest.

That's Jelenedra for making a stupid suggestion, not for being gay.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 22, 03:04:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm currently experimenting with an easy way to fix objects, and so far tests are good. Provided they continue to be good, I'll be able to make a program that will easily update most custom objects. Smiley

However, I already know some things will need to be recloned to work properly. (Tubs and easels for instance.) But the majority of custom things can be easily fixed. At any rate, I'm going to keep working on this and hopefully have a solution soon. Smiley

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 22, 04:03:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with straight pie menu rips is that the new pie menu format is NOT backwards compatible. This means a certain amount of chicanery is needed to back-port the actions.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 October 22, 06:11:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I suppose people could have two versions of their objects, but then that gets hairy and wastes file space. I know hacks have had to do multi versions for a while now, but objects have really never had to except in limited circumstances (computers for instance). Hacks are generally very small in file size so hosting different versions is not such a big deal, but for a site to host two versions of all its furniture, plumbing and electronics would be a significant chunk of space to host. Way to go Maxis EA.  Tongue

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 October 22, 06:14:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Semiglobal pie menus would have avoided a lot of this, and some objects do this, some objects don't. There appears to be no particular logic to when they do and don't, other than trying to piss you off as much as possible.

Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 October 22, 06:19:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm gonna think about that when I'm getting TS2: ZOMGPETS! *insert really retarted/exciting name here* and glam

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 October 22, 06:30:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Semiglobal pie menus would have avoided a lot of this, and some objects do this, some objects don't. There appears to be no particular logic to when they do and don't, other than trying to piss you off as much as possible.

It's funny because all counters work fine, even those cloned from old ones. And I believe the pets can even sleep on them. Most decorative items seem to be scratchable/chewable too, even custom. But then you have all the furniture, electronics and plumbing which are completely useless as far as the animals are concerned, including some of Maxis' own GLS stuff which there really is no excuse for.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 October 22, 06:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm sure EA could think of one, Motoki. Like there were seperate teams and none of them thought to stick their head in the door and let the others know what's up.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 October 22, 15:28:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with straight pie menu rips is that the new pie menu format is NOT backwards compatible. This means a certain amount of chicanery is needed to back-port the actions.
Right, which is why I figure it'd be better for the user to update the object locally.

What the creator does, I suppose, is up to them, but I imagine they have only about 3 choices:

1) Make both Pets and pre-Pets compatible versions of an object and offer both for download.
2) Make just a pre-Pets version and rely on the end user to update it.
or
3) Screw over the portion of the community that doesn't have pets and only offer a Pets version of the object.

The bad part is that every option has a downside.  Undecided

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 October 22, 17:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When University came out I just used that tool in SimPE to convert all the recolors over. I know Quaxi said it was mainly for creators and not for end users, but I thought it was just way too much to expect everyone to update their stuff. Some people weren't even around anymore and my half the time I couldn't figure out where I got something from and the filename did not help.  Tongue

LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 October 22, 23:23:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When University came out I just used that tool in SimPE to convert all the recolors over. I know Quaxi said it was mainly for creators and not for end users, but I thought it was just way too much to expect everyone to update their stuff. Some people weren't even around anymore and my half the time I couldn't figure out where I got something from and the filename did not help.  Tongue

I updated all my objects when Uni came out using SimPE... I'd gladly do it again if someone made a plug-in to convert the stuff for pets as well. With loads upon loads of user created content it would be more work to go to all the sites and find the stuff I've downloaded and hope the people have updated the objects. Also makes it hard to re-download objects when you've gotten them on a free rotation on a pay site.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 October 22, 23:34:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angry I hate paysites!

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 October 22, 23:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angry I hate paysites!
Which is exactly why they must be destroyed!

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 October 23, 00:39:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree

*Ella whine*
Rebochan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 October 23, 00:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's because your installation messed up and you didn't know it. You're going to have to uninstall Pets manually, and then uninstall the whole ugly mess and reinstall. One person had luck with just getting rid of Pets, then removing the Sims2 folder from My Documents (the whole thing, not just downloads) and then installing Pets, but someone else didn't. Worth a try if you don't feel like reinstalling everything, though.
  All right, it's working now.  I've just had so many Maxian bugs (like the nVidia drivers issue) that nailing that one down was driving me crazy.  In my case, I uninstalled Pets, then uninstalled Glamour Life just as a test.   The Pets installation had to be removed manually though, which isn't hard but tedious.  Reinstalled GL and Pets and the GL stuff is back.  Thanks.  Worth every penny of my illustrious subscription fees.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 October 23, 07:21:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All right, it's working now.  I've just had so many Maxian bugs (like the nVidia drivers issue) that nailing that one down was driving me crazy.  In my case, I uninstalled Pets, then uninstalled Glamour Life just as a test.   The Pets installation had to be removed manually though, which isn't hard but tedious.  Reinstalled GL and Pets and the GL stuff is back.  Thanks.  Worth every penny of my illustrious subscription fees.

Cool, too bad I didn't try that myself before I uninstalled everything!  Cheesy That's the price I pay for being impatient and paying for that overnight shipping, I got to be among the first to experience it, and then try to figure out what the problem was.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 October 23, 09:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right, which is why I figure it'd be better for the user to update the object locally.

What the creator does, I suppose, is up to them, but I imagine they have only about 3 choices:

1) Make both Pets and pre-Pets compatible versions of an object and offer both for download.
2) Make just a pre-Pets version and rely on the end user to update it.
or
3) Screw over the portion of the community that doesn't have pets and only offer a Pets version of the object.

The bad part is that every option has a downside.  Undecided

Option 1 is the fairest of all but involves the most work for the creator . I think it's the best option but it depends how much work the creator wants to do  Undecided

Option 2 is a bit of a no no really seeing as many simmers even struggle to know where to put their downloads  Tongue so asking them to update the downloads in their folders themselves to make them Pet Friendly ( without having an easy to use conversion tool of some sort ) would be like challenging a chimp to get a degree in Mathematics  Tongue Cheesy
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 October 23, 10:00:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Option 3 is probably the biggest no-no of the three since those who have Pets are most likely to have got other expansions too and spent the most money on the game overall and hence would be the more likely dedicated simmer so you would be alienating the heart of the community  Undecided
I think you misread it. It's the people who don't have pets that would get screwed.

Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 October 23, 10:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Option 3 is probably the biggest no-no of the three since those who have Pets are most likely to have got other expansions too and spent the most money on the game overall and hence would be the more likely dedicated simmer so you would be alienating the heart of the community  Undecided
I think you misread it. It's the people who don't have pets that would get screwed.

Yeah I did misread it Pescado  Tongue Cheesy I've deleted my option 3 . Hey it's early morning here and the brain isn't functioning fully yet  Tongue Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: